PDA

View Full Version : Pastner to OU?

JRAM
3/28/2011, 01:16 PM
Just coming to the front is news that Pastner of Memphis and OU are in serious discussions about Pastner becoming the next head basketball coach at OU. This is not a joke. It could happen soon. Hope it does.

Blue
3/28/2011, 01:18 PM
Where was he at before Memphis?

Collier11
3/28/2011, 01:19 PM
Coach Cals assistant

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 01:20 PM
That wouldn't be too bad.

JRAM
3/28/2011, 01:24 PM
I beleive that he was at Arizona and he played there also. He was an asst. to Calipari at Memphis before taking over when Calipari left.

Collier11
3/28/2011, 01:26 PM
He can recruit his arse off, the jury is still out as to how good of a coach he is

badger
3/28/2011, 01:30 PM
I saw a speculation article on him about a week ago in the Oklahoman. Anything new out there on this? If so, linky por favor?

The Maestro
3/28/2011, 01:32 PM
Does Memphis have about 17K fans per game? I know the arena holds that many.

Boomer.....
3/28/2011, 01:34 PM
There is sure a lot of rumblings about Lon Kruger and Herb Sendek today.

badger
3/28/2011, 01:35 PM
Does Memphis have about 17K fans per game? I know the arena holds that many.

Oh man, their fans travel CRAZY well, even during off-years. They loves their basketballs in the Memfizz. I wouldn't be surprised to see their home attendance averaging near the top in the country.

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 01:37 PM
The fact that he took the Memphis progam over when Cal left for KY and made them respectable speaks volumes. Cal left the program in a mess when he took his recruits so the fact that the coach put a team together that did pretty good speaks volumes.This works for me! Here is some background from USA Today when he took over Memphis:

Don't let Josh Pastner's birth certificate fool you.

He's 31 in human years, but similar to canine conversion, he's about 60 in coach years.

Pastner doesn't live and breathe basketball, he inhales it. He grew up immersed in the game, the son of Hal Pastner, a Texas businessman who also runs the well-respected Houston Hoops AAU program. Josh spent all his free time in the gym, often evaluating players in the league, and eventually wrote a scouting report that he mailed to college teams.

NormanPride
3/28/2011, 01:43 PM
I want no part of any coach associated with that slimeball Calipari.

soonervegas
3/28/2011, 01:45 PM
I kind of agree with NP. OU needs to be squeaky clean for about a decade in bball.

oumartin
3/28/2011, 01:51 PM
You'd have to be a moron to leave the memphis bball program to come to OU to coach bball.

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 01:54 PM
Pastner may be the only reason that Memphis didn't get killed by the NCAA -- he has run a very successful, very clean program at Memphis following his stint with Calipari. Why tar and feather a young coach for Calipari who BTW was cleared by the NCAA. Memphis vacated the wins but it was because a kid cheated on his entrance exam that no one at the university had any knowledge. Vacated wins were mandatory because the kid cheated but Pastner and the coaches were cleared of any wrongdoing.

badger
3/28/2011, 02:02 PM
a kid cheated on his entrance exam that no one at the university had any knowledge

I would give my best Vince Young impersonation and then outrageously ask how anyone would not know that a kid couldn't take his college entrance exam, but there's always the possibility that he just didn't want to take it. If given the option, I probably would have skipped the ACT. Hours upon hours on a Saturday morning of filling in little circles with a #2 pencil?

Collier11
3/28/2011, 02:08 PM
I love all of the hate on Calipari, he may well be slimy but the guy has never been personally held repsonsible...it has always been cheating players

mgsooner
3/28/2011, 02:08 PM
Pastner was a Calipari assistant for a grand total of one whopping season. Relax.

Collier11
3/28/2011, 02:09 PM
There is sure a lot of rumblings about Lon Kruger and Herb Sendek today.

Herb Sendek, please no

mgsooner
3/28/2011, 02:11 PM
Herb Sendek lmao

yankee
3/28/2011, 02:18 PM
He can recruit his arse off, the jury is still out as to how good of a coach he is

This.

NormanPride
3/28/2011, 02:26 PM
If he runs a clean ship then I'm fine with him. I always get antsy about guys in basketball that are "great recruiters" because it's such a corrupt business anymore.

Quik Sand
3/28/2011, 02:27 PM
Sendek and Kruger will not generate any interest. Pastner would be good if we could not get Stevens under any circumstances.

Mjcpr
3/28/2011, 02:31 PM
Stevens? We're not getting Stevens.

Boomer.....
3/28/2011, 02:33 PM
I agree with Pat. Stevens will not leave Butler and has around 10 years left on his contract.

oumartin
3/28/2011, 02:36 PM
Pay stevens 3 mil a year and he'll come.

badger
3/28/2011, 02:43 PM
Herb Sendek lmao

My immediately reaction: Who?!

Wikipedia's reaction: "Herbert J. Sendek (born February 22, 1963) is an American college basketball coach and the current men's basketball coach at Arizona State University."

Delving a little deeper into Sendek, he was Pac-10 coach of the year in 2010... not to be confused with 2011, when his team had a worse record than OU (we had more than 12 wins, right?) and ASU missed the postseason. His best year was, like Capel's, in 2009 (we went to the tourney two years ago, right? lol j/k), when they went to the tourney... and made it to the... SECOND round! :eek:

Get this - NC State fired him for the same result. Five-straight trips to the Big Dance (not to be confused with the middle dance NIT or littler dances out there) and they said get lost. I guess it's tough being in the same state as Wake Forest, Duke and UNC.

So, not total suckage, but it would be a lateral move for both him and us. Hmm...

Boomer.....
3/28/2011, 02:50 PM
Pay stevens 3 mil a year and he'll come.

We wouldn't even spend close to that much. Plus his buyout is probably astronomical.

Collier11
3/28/2011, 02:54 PM
Take it for what its worth but word has it that Joe C. is prepared to open up the wallet this time around

Boomer.....
3/28/2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah, maybe up to 2 mil. There's really not any great coaches out there to shell out the big bucks for that would be willing to come here.

CobraKai
3/28/2011, 02:58 PM
I love all of the hate on Calipari, he may well be slimy but the guy has never been personally held repsonsible...it has always been cheating players

Isn't that similar to Pete Carroll?

badger
3/28/2011, 02:58 PM
Take it for what its worth but word has it that Joe C. is prepared to open up the wallet this time around

With all the excess football money probably stored in a big vault under the North Oval we probably have the means. I am just not sure the ends will justify it.

CobraKai
3/28/2011, 02:59 PM

Good to hear. Hopefully it is correct. This is an important hire, given the current state of the program.

Collier11
3/28/2011, 03:00 PM
True, the only coach I would pay "big bucks" for right now who might be attainable is Stevens...other than that, I wouldnt go over 1.5 or 2

AlboSooner
3/28/2011, 03:02 PM
It goes without saying that we are one good coach away from becoming a power again. It is always about coaching and only coaching. You can go to a football school with no basketball history and win two NC's, like Donovan did at Tebow U. OU basketball has too much history to become an afterthought in the national and local scene.

zandozan
3/28/2011, 03:06 PM
We wouldn't even spend close to that much. Plus his buyout is probably astronomical.

It's only $1 million.

oumartin
3/28/2011, 03:08 PM
Boomer seems to like to talk out his/her hiney.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 03:09 PM
Says the Bruce Pearl lover...

badger
3/28/2011, 03:15 PM

An article in 2010 (http://www.ibj.com/butler-coach-stevens-expected-to-get-lucrative-offers/PARAMS/article/19060) says:

While Stevens’ contract has a buyout clause that would require another school to pay Butler a substantial sum—estimated at high six figures or low seven figures—to hire him away, Beaudine doesn’t think it will present much of a barrier to the big schools likely to come calling.

“There’s no one who is looking for a top-flight coach that would hesitate to make a $1 million buyout,” said Beaudine, whom Sports Illustrated recently tabbed as “the most powerful man in sports you’ve never heard of.”

So, not too large of a buyout compared to some out there (most are still accepting the $1 mil estimate as approx. the current buyout amount) He has four seniors graduating, not sure if anyone is jumping pro or transferring or what his incoming recruiting class looks like, but Stevens reportedly turned down the likes of Wake Forest and Oregon in the past.

oumartin
3/28/2011, 03:23 PM
Says the Bruce Pearl lover...

yeah, obviously your reading comprehension sucks.

I'm a Danny Manning lover, I only suggested Pearl.. Always on top of your game aren't ya Dean.

Boomer.....
3/28/2011, 03:35 PM
Well my bad. Since he is under contract until 2022, we would only have to pay $1 mil to get him out of it?

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 03:36 PM
yeah, obviously your reading comprehension sucks.

I'm a Danny Manning lover, I only suggested Pearl.. Always on top of your game aren't ya Dean.

Oh. So you're a Sooner hater? That's nice marty.

Manning is a no-good POS who should be banned from ever entering the campus in Norman the ****ing **********. You sound like a whorn pining for Daryl Royal. No thanks on Manning.

badger
3/28/2011, 03:47 PM
Well my bad. Since he is under contract until 2022, we would only have to pay $1 mil to get him out of it?

Rumor has it. You might be confusing contracts in general with those signed at the University of Kansas under that walrus of an athletic director. :D

(in case you don't get my little joke, both Mangino and Turner Gill's deals under ex-KU ath dir Lew Perkins reportedly had no buyout, thus making them very generous coach-sided contracts. It's the reason why it will be near-impossible to fire Turner Gill, even if he continues to have subpar seasons)

yankee
3/28/2011, 03:57 PM
We. Are. Not. Getting. Brad. Stevens.

Everyone needs to get that out of their head. There's a better chance he jumps to the NBA than he comes to OU. He's going to stay at Butler either forever, or until some crazy good tradition rich school has a job opening.

Jason Alexander
3/28/2011, 04:15 PM
We. Are. Not. Getting. Brad. Stevens.

Everyone needs to get that out of their head. There's a better chance he jumps to the NBA than he comes to OU. He's going to stay at Butler either forever, or until some crazy good tradition rich school has a job opening.
This /\

Stevens will coach at Butler until either the Hoosiers or Pacers job opens and offers.

oumartin
3/28/2011, 04:30 PM
Danny and his miracles(the underwhelming OU squad of next year)

JLEW1818
3/28/2011, 04:36 PM
I think he is too young. Let's get an older coach for a change?

Eielson
3/28/2011, 04:39 PM
Pastner is really young, associated with Calipari, and hasn't proven himself as a coach. I'd rather go with someone else.

Mjcpr
3/28/2011, 04:41 PM
Someone else like who?

yankee
3/28/2011, 04:42 PM
I think he is too young. Let's get an older coach for a change?

Lon Kruger is the hot name right now. I'm sure that will change in the next 24-48 hours. It'll probably end up being Danny Manning. :mad:

oumartin
3/28/2011, 04:44 PM
Oh. So you're a Sooner hater? That's nice marty.

Manning is a no-good POS who should be banned from ever entering the campus in Norman the ****ing **********. You sound like a whorn pining for Daryl Royal. No thanks on Manning.

you should lighten up before you stroke out...

I love how you take everything everyone says as their true feelings... It's the internet dude.

go relax in your easy chair, drink your Milk Of Magnesia and dip a few crackers in milk and relax a bit before you need a hip replacement. Sheesh.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 04:57 PM
you should lighten up before you stroke out...

I love how you take everything everyone says as their true feelings... It's the internet dude.

go relax in your easy chair, drink your Milk Of Magnesia and dip a few crackers in milk and relax a bit before you need a hip replacement. Sheesh.

Or I could say:

go relax in your high chair, drink your formula and dip a few goldfish in milk and relax before you get to high school. Sheesh.

Quik Sand
3/28/2011, 04:57 PM
LOL

Phil
3/28/2011, 05:41 PM
Lon Kruger is the hot name right now. I'm sure that will change in the next 24-48 hours. It'll probably end up being Danny Manning. :mad:

You shut your whore mouth.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 05:43 PM
And there, ladies and gents, we have it.

87sooner
3/28/2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah, maybe up to 2 mil. There's really not any great coaches out there to shell out the big bucks for that would be willing to come here.

this is the truth...
the top tier coaches have no reason to leave their gigs for ours..
and the second tier coaches are mostly unproven as far as running a consistent/winning program.
of those...i think buzz is the best fit/choice...
if he's feeling the love at marquette....i think pastner is as good an option as any other..
you have to be excited about the players he would bring to norman....but like someone said...the jury is still out on his coaching.
and if he is successful here....he'd leave the first chance he got at a top tier job.

that said...i'd be surprised if he leaves memphis...
way better fan support there.....
if he does...he must value the opportunity to work for guys like joe c/boren.

87sooner
3/28/2011, 06:27 PM
And there, ladies and gents, we have it.

how many pastner threads can we have here?

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 06:57 PM
Just this one. Don't **** with it.

Eielson
3/28/2011, 07:10 PM
Someone else like who?

There are plenty of people I'd rather have...one of which is Capel.

87sooner
3/28/2011, 07:25 PM
There are plenty of people I'd rather have...one of which is Capel.

that ship has sunk....
there are several candidates that will be better than continuing down a doomed path...

Collier11
3/28/2011, 07:56 PM
yea, like all of those candidates who apparently dont want to come here out of fear of ncaa issues...Sampson and Capel have messed up a pretty good basketball school due to these ncaa issues, obviously Capels issues are not directly because of him but it still happened while he was here, unfortuantely

Its lookin more and more like we maybe shoulda given him that extra year

87sooner
3/28/2011, 08:02 PM
yea, like all of those candidates who apparently dont want to come here out of fear of ncaa issues...Sampson and Capel have messed up a pretty good basketball school due to these ncaa issues, obviously Capels issues are not directly because of him but it still happened while he was here, unfortuantely

Its lookin more and more like we maybe shoulda given him that extra year

who are all these coaches that won't come here because of ncaa issues?

don't believe everything you read on the internet..

Collier11
3/28/2011, 08:10 PM
It is floating around out there more and more...sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. Ive been one to say that I doubt anything even comes from the allegations but that doesnt mean they arent scaring people off

sperry
3/28/2011, 08:16 PM
This /\

Stevens will coach at Butler until either the Hoosiers or Pacers job opens and offers.

I would guess IU would fire Tom Crean this very second if they thought Stephens would come.

He's caught in a tough spot though. The truly big time jobs, Duke, UNC, Kansas, and UCLA aren't going to open up in the next decade. It's not even possible for his stock to get higher, but there's nowhere to go right now.

stoopified
3/28/2011, 08:28 PM
It is floating around out there more and more...sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. Ive been one to say that I doubt anything even comes from the allegations but that doesnt mean they arent scaring people offAnother reason is because of the(correct) national perception that Capel is a quality coach who was prematurely terminated.Everybody talks about how difficult it will be for a new coach to operate under the CLOUD of NCAA investigation while almost noone locally will discuss the burden Capel had coaching OU under KS' probation.For the record Tom Crean(Buzz Williams predecessor at Marquette) has been 28-65 at INDIANA following KS' PHONEGATE 2.IF the peobation is not an issue why does a quality coach like Crean struggle at IU,a traditional basketball power?

pappy
3/28/2011, 08:30 PM
I'd be happy with Pastner. I like his style.

87sooner
3/28/2011, 08:33 PM
Another reason is because of the(correct) national perception that Capel is a quality coach who was prematurely terminated.Everybody talks about how difficult it will be for a new coach to operate under the CLOUD of NCAA investigation while almost noone locally will discuss the burden Capel had coaching OU under KS' probation.For the record Tom Crean(Buzz Williams predecessor at Marquette) has been 28-65 at INDIANA following KS' PHONEGATE 2.IF the peobation is not an issue why does a quality coach like Crean struggle at IU,a traditional basketball power?

capel had ZERO burden coaching after kelvin.
in season number two he signed griffin and season #3 he's in the elite eight.
where was the burden?

he was not fired prematurely.
he was prolly fired a year too late.

Sooner95
3/28/2011, 08:57 PM
Pastner, might not be to bad. My question would be, does he want to come here OR do we want him to come here. I'd like a coach who wants to be a part of this program, full steam ahead.

Brad Steven's?? Yea, and I have an interview with Joe C. tomorrow for the coaching job too.

And what is this Danny Manning ****?? NFW

Eielson
3/28/2011, 09:24 PM
that ship has sunk....
there are several candidates that will be better than continuing down a doomed path...

My point was that I would rather have kept Capel than bring in Pastner.

87sooner
3/28/2011, 09:30 PM
My point was that I would rather have kept Capel than bring in Pastner.

i know what your point was and i strongly disagree.
anyone joe c brings in will be a dramatic upgrade over capel....including pastner.

Eielson
3/28/2011, 09:35 PM
i know what your point was and i strongly disagree.
anyone joe c brings in will be a dramatic upgrade over capel....including pastner.

What is about Pastner that makes you think he'll be so much better than Capel? Is it because Pastner is so young? Is it because he had moderate success in a short period at a mid-major? Is it because he can bring in some big-time recruits?

87sooner
3/28/2011, 09:44 PM
What is about Pastner that makes you think he'll be so much better than Capel? Is it because Pastner is so young? Is it because he had moderate success in a short period at a mid-major? Is it because he can bring in some big-time recruits?

it's not that i think pastner would be so much better than capel..
i'm just confident there aren't too many coaches that would be worse..

Eielson
3/28/2011, 09:49 PM
it's not that i think pastner would be so much better than capel..
i'm just confident there aren't too many coaches that would be worse..

Are you already backing off of that "dramatic upgrade" post you made like 5 minutes ago?

87sooner
3/28/2011, 09:56 PM
Are you already backing off of that "dramatic upgrade" post you made like 5 minutes ago?

i think pastner will be able to recruit talent AND character....
that in itself will be a dramatic upgrade..

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 10:01 PM
Don't know if any of you were listening to KREF last year when Capel ripped his players for being prima donnas and lazy. I was in my car and kept thinking to myself this is not good for a coach to go on the radio and rip his players when he was the coach and he recruited them. Was taken back that he put the blame on the players for their lack of hustle. Cannot imagine a coach doing that on the radio and began to wonder at that time if Capel was over his head. This year came along and he seemed to get more out of his team that had less talent so frankly didn't know what to think -- still don't. Should have he been given another year? Who knows but it was probably time to make a change because recruiting didn't seem to be going that well unless I missed something.

Eielson
3/28/2011, 10:01 PM

Oh, you switched back. Cool.

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 10:02 PM

I agree -- if he put together that Memphis team after the mess Calipari left, then he can recruit. His Dad was head of the Houston AAU when Pastner was growing up according to USA Today. He also has a lot of enthusiasm which I am ready to see in a coach.

87sooner
3/28/2011, 10:07 PM
i want to say that i don't put all the blame on gallon/tmg/ww...
i don't know them at all...
i think capel deserves much of the blame for coddling them instead of instilling discipline....
i think pastner has shown at memphis that he can recruit high level talent and also coach that talent into an effective team.

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 10:10 PM
New coach added to the list according to The Oklahoman:

With Buzz Williams reportedly no longer on Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione's list to fill the men's basketball coaching vacancy, Brigham Young's Dave Rose has emerged as a viable candidate, according to sources.

Rose, 53, has led the Cougars to six consecutive 20-win seasons, highlighted by BYU recently making its first Sweet Sixteen appearance in 30 years.

In six seasons at BYU, Rose has compiled a 159-45 record, including a school-best 32-5 record this season.

Co-captain of Houston's 1983 national runner-up team that featured future NBA stars Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon, Rose took over for Steve Cleveland in 2005. He inherited a 9-21 team, and BYU posted a 20-9 record his debut season, the second best turnaround nationally.

Read more: http://newsok.com/byu-coach-dave-rose-might-be-on-joe-castigliones-radar/article/3552586#ixzz1HxE51DUZ

Eielson
3/28/2011, 10:13 PM
i think pastner has shown at memphis that he can recruit high level talent and also coach that talent into an effective team.

Yeah, he totally proved that by making it to the tournament as a 12 seed and losing in the first round...

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 10:28 PM
Dean Blevins just said don't rule out Buzz Williams as he is waiting to see what Marquette is going to offer -- he thinks the cost to get Williams might be more than OU wants to pay but then left the door open. Also said it will not be a young coach but someone with more experience. He mentioned Krueger and Rose from BYU. IOTW -- Blevins doesn't know much more than all of our speculation! :)

Quik Sand
3/28/2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah, he totally proved that by making it to the tournament as a 12 seed and losing in the first round...Who are some of you ideal candidates that we could get?

pappy
3/28/2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah, he totally proved that by making it to the tournament as a 12 seed and losing in the first round...

At least Pastner made the tournament. And that 2 point first round loss (77-75) was to Arizona the pac 10 regular season champ, who made it to the elite 8 and were a 3 pt shot from making the final 4, losing (65-63).

Eielson
3/28/2011, 11:34 PM
At least Pastner made the tournament. And that 2 point first round loss (77-75) was to Arizona the pac 10 regular season champ, who made it to the elite 8 and were a 3 pt shot from making the final 4, losing (65-63).

Memphis went 33-4, 33-4, 33-4, and 38-2 the four seasons before Pastner took over, and that included a sweet 16, two elite 8's, and should've included a national championship. So yeah, I'm not impressed.

pappy
3/29/2011, 12:56 AM
Memphis went 33-4, 33-4, 33-4, and 38-2 the four seasons before Pastner took over, and that included a sweet 16, two elite 8's, and should've included a national championship. So yeah, I'm not impressed.

Different players and nobody said he was as good as Calipari. Calipari is 1 of the top 5-10 coaches in the country. During those records you named Memphis also had Derrick Rose 1 year (nba rookie of the year and should be nba mvp of this season.) another year Memphis had Tyreke Evans (nba rookie of the year). Also had Douglas-Roberts who was a 1st team all-american.

Pastner has a .710 win percentage at Memphis...Capel had a .582 win percentage at Oklahoma and a .614 overall win percentage. and before you say well its the competition you should know that Capel had a .463 conference winning percentage.

Also Capel only had 1 20 win season at VCU (he won 23 games) While Pastner is 2 for 2 on 20 win seasons (24 year 1 and 25 year 2)

zandozan
3/29/2011, 01:06 AM
I maintain the longer this drags out the more likely Joe C is planning on going hard after Geno Auriemma. No one else out there would make the kind of titanic splash that he would. ESPN would be debating it for weeks, giving OU all kinds of publicity. I wouldn't do it, I'd wait for Shaka...but I think Joe C is gonna take the nuclear option and detonate the Geno bomb.

pappy
3/29/2011, 01:10 AM
I maintain the longer this drags out the more likely Joe C is planning on going hard after Geno Auriemma. No one else out there would make the kind of titanic splash that he would. ESPN would be debating it for weeks, giving OU all kinds of publicity. I wouldn't do it, I'd wait for Shaka...but I think Joe C is gonna take the nuclear option and detonate the Geno bomb.

0% chance of Geno coming to OU.

zandozan
3/29/2011, 01:13 AM
0% chance of Geno coming to OU.

Joe C went after him last time and Geno almost took the job. Geno's done all he can at the women's level. If he ever goes to the men's side it'll be now. I would never say 0% on anybody unless they're dead.

pappy
3/29/2011, 01:19 AM
Joe C went after him last time and Geno almost took the job. Geno's done all he can at the women's level. If he ever goes to the men's side it'll be now. I would never say 0% on anybody unless they're dead.

Ok we'll call it 1% chance. Geno will retire as Uconn's women's bball coach.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2011, 01:38 AM
Hell, some of Geno's teams could have beat this years Sooners!

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 01:40 AM
Hell, some of Geno's teams could have beat this years Sooners!

Which is an improvement, because all of his teams would have beaten last years team!:D

Vegas Sooner
3/29/2011, 02:45 AM
Pastner could be in that youtube video "Friday" Rebecca Black video that everyone is making fun of. I don't even think he can buy a beer at the Mont.

zandozan
3/29/2011, 03:10 AM
Ok we'll call it 1% chance. Geno will retire as Uconn's women's bball coach.

I hope so. If Joe hadn't gone after him the last time I wouldn't even entertain the thought, but apparently he thinks Geno can do the job or he wouldn't have asked him to take it after Kelvin left.

If this goes through the Final Four then it's probably either Shaka or Geno. I'm really hoping for Shaka Ball!

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2011, 03:41 AM
God knows we have great success with up and coming coaches out of Virginia Commonwealth!!

zandozan
3/29/2011, 05:02 AM
God knows we have great success with up and coming coaches out of Virginia Commonwealth!!

One coach does not equal a trend. Would you hire Shaka if he was Butler's coach?

Quik Sand
3/29/2011, 05:09 AM
One coach does not equal a trend. Would you hire Shaka if he was Butler's coach?Exactly. While I doubt Joe C goes back to VCU for another hire....where Smart coaches should not be considered in the hire, or at least little.

The Maestro
3/29/2011, 10:38 AM
Shaka has lightening in a bottle. The team has made more three pointers in every NCAA Tourney game then they did all season long. Finished fourth in Colonial. This is a once in a lifetime run by a serious Cinderella. This doesn't even mean Smart is a great coach.

sperry
3/29/2011, 10:46 AM
New coach added to the list according to The Oklahoman:

With Buzz Williams reportedly no longer on Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione's list to fill the men's basketball coaching vacancy, Brigham Young's Dave Rose has emerged as a viable candidate, according to sources.

Rose, 53, has led the Cougars to six consecutive 20-win seasons, highlighted by BYU recently making its first Sweet Sixteen appearance in 30 years.

In six seasons at BYU, Rose has compiled a 159-45 record, including a school-best 32-5 record this season.

Co-captain of Houston's 1983 national runner-up team that featured future NBA stars Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon, Rose took over for Steve Cleveland in 2005. He inherited a 9-21 team, and BYU posted a 20-9 record his debut season, the second best turnaround nationally.

Read more: http://newsok.com/byu-coach-dave-rose-might-be-on-joe-castigliones-radar/article/3552586#ixzz1HxE51DUZ

Please no. That guy let Jimmer be the coach of the team. People complained about Capel not having a system, but did anyone watch BYU play? They had 4 stiffs stand around and let Jimmer jack it up from 2 feet inside the arc. With a real offense they would have been immensely better.

Boomer.....
3/29/2011, 10:49 AM
I have heard conflicting things about Rose. Dean "the stream" claims that he might be the guy while Andy Katz is confident that he is not going to come to OU.

I wish we would talk with Shaka Smart.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 11:33 AM
We just got rid of Tanika. Why would we want a Shaka? How about a George, or a Tom, or a Michael or somebody with a normal ****ing name?

sperry
3/29/2011, 11:48 AM
We just got rid of Tanika. Why would we want a Shaka? How about a George, or a Tom, or a Michael or somebody with a normal ****ing name?

A normal name like Jeff?

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 12:16 PM
A normal name like Jeff?

As long as he doesn't bring a Shaniqua with him, sure.

badger
3/29/2011, 12:22 PM

How bout Tubby? :D

(seriously - The Oklahoman just tossed that name out there this morning. Considering that there were Tubby rumors back when we hired Capel, this isn't a complete longshot, like some of the NBA legends you were tossing around yesterday, hehe)

sperry
3/29/2011, 12:42 PM
As long as he doesn't bring a Shaniqua with him, sure.

Like Yale Law educated, former Covington and Burling associate Kanika Capel? Easily OU law school's best credentialed faculty member?

87sooner
3/29/2011, 01:10 PM
looks like pastner will be off the board sooooooon...

http://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 01:26 PM
Not really sure I want Pastner here anyway.

I want a more experienced head coach. Pastner is what, in his second year?

As it is looking, JoeC should just pull the trigger on Evans...it seems no one but him wants to come here.

We couldn't get Gillispie, Anderson went to Arky, Williams is reworking his contract with Marquette (would be surprised if w land him now).

There is only one coach that has said publicly that he wants to be at OU...and it appears OU is not going after him. STUPID!

Lets keep that guy on the side until we get all the No's out of the way!

This coaching search is taking way too long. Hell, last week Bruce Pearl gets the ax. They already have their new coach.

What is Joe C waiting for? (Honest Question) Is he waiting on the answers form the young coaches, or is he waiting for the tourney to be complete?

Is he trying for Geno again? Stevens? Shaka? What?

Sorry...rant over...just frustrated that we cannot land a coach in 2 weeks!

oumartin
3/29/2011, 01:30 PM
Stacey King wants to be the next OU coach too.

PrideTrombone
3/29/2011, 02:15 PM
ESPN reporting that Pastner is signing an extension at Memphis.

87sooner
3/29/2011, 02:18 PM
Not really sure I want Pastner here anyway.

I want a more experienced head coach. Pastner is what, in his second year?

As it is looking, JoeC should just pull the trigger on Evans...it seems no one but him wants to come here.

you dont' really have a clue who wants to come here or not.

We couldn't get Gillispie, Anderson went to Arky, Williams is reworking his contract with Marquette (would be surprised if w land him now).

you know for a fact joe tried to get gillispie?
i believe he would have been ours if joe wanted him...
and this will be a big disappointment if we could have had gillispie but have to settle on and unproven mid-major type of coach ala capel...

There is only one coach that has said publicly that he wants to be at OU...and it appears OU is not going after him. STUPID!

i want the ou job....joe is smart not to give it to someone just because they want it.

Lets keep that guy on the side until we get all the No's out of the way!

This coaching search is taking way too long. Hell, last week Bruce Pearl gets the ax. They already have their new coach.

What is Joe C waiting for? (Honest Question) Is he waiting on the answers form the young coaches, or is he waiting for the tourney to be complete?

Is he trying for Geno again? Stevens? Shaka? What?

Sorry...rant over...just frustrated that we cannot land a coach in 2 weeks!

you need to relax....
it sounds like buzz screwed joe over to get a new contract...it was wasted time....
why get all worked up before we hear ANYTHING?

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 02:24 PM
Like Yale Law educated, former Covington and Burling associate Kanika Capel? Easily OU law school's best credentialed faculty member?

Yeah, like that. I'd rather he bring a wife who knows how to cook, clean, and support her man. Of course if she wants to sell $1M+ of Mary Kay in her spare time? No problem.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 02:27 PM
What's killing me is all you guys going "Joe this, and coach this, and Joe is doing this, and coach is doing this..." STFU. You don't have a ****ing clue what Joe C is doing or what any of these coaches is doing. If you're listening to Espin or the dreamer then you are really misinformed.

How about we just support our baseball team and let Joe C find us a coach. MMMKAY?

badger
3/29/2011, 02:29 PM
you need to relax....
it sounds like buzz screwed joe over to get a new contract...it was wasted time....

If true, bad form. It's never good to burn bridges in your profession. You never know when you'll meet the people you wronged again later in your career.

I honestly have no idea who Castiglione is pursuing at this point. But, as he has only had two hirings during his time at OU that I viewed as less than ideal (Capel was #2, the alleged stalker (http://www.ktka.com/news/2008/apr/24/wichita_state_baseball_coach_accused_stalking/) is #1), I trust he'll find someone good.

PS: I posted the stalking thing as a joke... but worse than being accused of stalking is being found 100 percent guilty of backstabbery, which is what he did by only being OU's baseball coach for, like, three hours?!?!

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 02:32 PM
What do you mean "if true." This guy (87) is pulling **** out of his *** like he actually knows what's going on. Pay no attention to the dumas behind the curtain.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 02:35 PM
What's killing me is all you guys going "Joe this, and coach this, and Joe is doing this, and coach is doing this..." STFU. You don't have a ****ing clue what Joe C is doing or what any of these coaches is doing. If you're listening to Espin or the dreamer then you are really misinformed.

How about we just support our baseball team and let Joe C find us a coach. MMMKAY?

You're right. I have no ****ing clue what Joe is doing. However, the longer we have to wait the worse it is going to get with recruiting...and as it sits right now, our recruiting under Capel last year leading to this year, has been less than good.

So the longer we take to get a coach the worse it is going to be for the new coach to get in here and start trying to grab players. Hell, signing day is just around the corner and we do not have a coach.

Sounds a lot like what happened when we hired Capel.

oumartin
3/29/2011, 02:38 PM
apparently the byu coach says he has no interest in OU

87sooner
3/29/2011, 02:39 PM
What do you mean "if true." This guy (87) is pulling **** out of his *** like he actually knows what's going on. Pay no attention to the dumas behind the curtain.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3166560&postcount=489

badger
3/29/2011, 02:39 PM

Well, even so, there's some merit, regardless of the source, amirite? I mean, Buzz is a hot coaching commodity and it would surprise me if he's leveraging other coaching openings to get a healthy pay bump. It wouldn't surprise me if Capel tried to do the same thing a few years ago after the Elite Eight year.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 02:48 PM
you dont' really have a clue who wants to come here or not.

you know for a fact joe tried to get gillispie?
i believe he would have been ours if joe wanted him...
and this will be a big disappointment if we could have had gillispie but have to settle on and unproven mid-major type of coach ala capel...

i want the ou job....joe is smart not to give it to someone just because they want it.

you need to relax....

And on your twoo week vacation you didnt read very much did you?

I said it SEEMS LIKE no coach wants to come here other than Evans. I didnt say it was a definite NO COACH.

learn to read oh mighty one.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3166560&postcount=489

Even a blind, dumb, and stupid dog finds a bone every once in a while.

Maybe you should change your handle to Nostradumas.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah. I've already said I'd have no problem with Evans. Not one.

badger
3/29/2011, 02:58 PM
Where have all good men gone
And where are all coaching gods?
Where's the street-wise coaching mind
To fight the rising odds?

Isn't there a Bob Knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and turn and dream of what I need

I need a head coach!
I'm holding out for a head coach til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a head coach!
I'm holding out for a head coach til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And its gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

Mad Dog Madsen
3/29/2011, 03:03 PM
Niiice baj! That's good stuff! :D

The Profit
3/29/2011, 03:08 PM
Oh yeah. I've already said I'd have no problem with Evans. Not one.

This. If you can win at the Division 2 level, you can sure as hell win at the Division 1 level. Evans is a bright young coach, and an OU grad. He would be an outstanding choice.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 03:20 PM
This. If you can win at the Division 2 level, you can sure as hell win at the Division 1 level. Evans is a bright young coach, and an OU grad. He would be an outstanding choice.

But, but, but he's not famous or named buzz11!!!1!! We're doomed!!!!11!!!

Mjcpr
3/29/2011, 03:23 PM
Pastner gets a new 5 year deal at Memphis.

Edit: This was one of the headlines on ESPN.com a few minutes ago but now it's gone. :confused:

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 03:25 PM

Not according all the Geniuses around here he cant!

badger
3/29/2011, 03:28 PM
Pastner gets a new 5 year deal at Memphis.

Edit: This was one of the headlines on ESPN.com a few minutes ago but now it's gone. :confused:

It's still there. Here you go:

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6270286&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines)

Only quoting a source at this point though

oumartin
3/29/2011, 03:38 PM
Lets go steal travis ford. He can bring Keaton Paige with him

badger
3/29/2011, 03:43 PM
Lets go steal travis ford. He can bring Keaton Paige with him

And then we can get Rotnei to transfer from Arkansas, so we'll be set at the workaholic shooting master position for several seasons. This year with Cade, next year with Keaton, the year after with Rotnei (since he has to sit out next year)

(of course I'm ignoring the fact that Keaton would also have to sit out a year too)

The Maestro
3/29/2011, 04:47 PM
If you can win at the Division 2 level, you can sure as hell win at the Division 1 level.

Please cite examples of this "sure as hell" mindset...

Evans is a bright young coach, and an OU grad. He would be an outstanding choice.

Bright young coach who graduated from OU doesn't assure you of any success. Name me the former OU grads that have successful track records in college basketball coaching ranks.

I am not saying he can't succeed, but the reasons you give have ZERO substance or proof. Yes, suggesting Terry Evans cause he is a good guy who would represent the university well off the court feels good...but it doesn't mean wins. I seriously thought the hiring of John Blake "felt good" too.

87sooner
3/29/2011, 05:02 PM
Please cite examples of this "sure as hell" mindset...

Bright young coach who graduated from OU doesn't assure you of any success. Name me the former OU grads that have successful track records in college basketball coaching ranks.

I am not saying he can't succeed, but the reasons you give have ZERO substance or proof. Yes, suggesting Terry Evans cause he is a good guy who would represent the university well off the court feels good...but it doesn't mean wins. I seriously thought the hiring of John Blake "felt good" too.

exactly...
i would love to have a coach like evans....
if he were successful you know he'd be here for life...
but it's a very risky proposition..
evans should have tried to move into a mid-major head coaching job 5 years ago to prove himself...
then he'd be in perfect position to step into the job now...
you can't give a top 25 job to a div II coach..

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 05:35 PM
At this point, who gives a ****? Seriously. We suck. Hard. We blow. Chunks. It ain't like somebody is gonna come in here and **** it up any worse than it is. Man, you guys are like chicks.

badger
3/29/2011, 05:57 PM
Man, you guys are like chicks.

Stop insulting women. I'm offended! Just call them Geno Auriemmas.

sperry
3/29/2011, 06:16 PM
We should have kept Capel. We are going to be paying him a bunch of money to not coach here, while we pay someone else who is no better than him to coach the team.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 06:32 PM
We should have kept Capel. We are going to be paying him a bunch of money to not coach here, while we pay someone else who is no better than him to coach the team.

sez u. How about you drop the suicide weapon and just enjoy the ride?

boomersooner28
3/29/2011, 06:37 PM
Whats Tubbs doing?

:pop:

Ruf/Nek7
3/29/2011, 06:40 PM
Pastner signs 5 year extension with Memphis. Time to start a new thread about so and so as next OU coach.

kelloggOUballa
3/29/2011, 06:52 PM
I would not have liked a Pastner hire, so hopefully that is true.

Collier11
3/29/2011, 07:39 PM
I like Evans, bring it on

yankee
3/29/2011, 08:25 PM
At this point, who gives a ****? Seriously. We suck. Hard. We blow. Chunks. It ain't like somebody is gonna come in here and **** it up any worse than it is. Man, you guys are like chicks.

Look at you, sitting in your warm house when it's 26 degrees out and you're saying these kids suck blah blah blah blah

:D

kelloggOUballa
3/29/2011, 08:29 PM
I like Evans, bring it on

Co-Sign.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 08:42 PM
Look at you, sitting in your warm house when it's 26 degrees out and you're saying these kids suck blah blah blah blah

:D

Dude, I didn't say the kids suck. I said "WE" suck.

LiveLaughLove
3/29/2011, 10:32 PM
Think I would rather have Terry Stotts before Terry Evans.

Blue
3/29/2011, 10:48 PM
I'd take John Pelphrey. I still think he's a good coach.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2011, 11:11 PM
Either the Capel TG issue makes OU some serious damaged goods, or no one wants to take the job given the B12 South Bball prowess

Vegas Sooner
3/30/2011, 12:23 AM
not coming. can someone lock this thread? He signed an extension.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/30/2011, 10:06 AM
I'd take John Pelphrey. I still think he's a good coach.

You mean the dude that just got fired??? :confused:

Jason Alexander
3/30/2011, 10:08 AM
That's not fair, he's just employment challenged.

Blue
3/30/2011, 01:00 PM

Yeah, at Arkansas. I still think he's a good coach.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/30/2011, 01:25 PM
Jim Calhoun ????

A new challenge for a great coach!

zandozan
3/30/2011, 02:06 PM
Jim Calhoun ????

A new challenge for a great coach!

You got the wrong UConn coach ;)

Blue
3/30/2011, 02:26 PM
I would cease to be an OU bball fan if we hired Geno. I dislike him that much.

StoopTroup
3/30/2011, 02:37 PM
I would cease to be an OU bball fan if we hired Geno. I dislike him that much.

I feel bad for wanting a dream like that to come true....

There is nothing that could make me even utter such a thing.

Sad....very sad....

janderson255
3/30/2011, 02:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6270286

Blue
3/30/2011, 02:40 PM
I feel bad for wanting a dream like that to come true....

There is nothing that could make me even utter such a thing.

Sad....very sad....

Whatever....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/30/2011, 03:34 PM
Whats Tubbs doing?

:pop:RIGHT ON! and, what about Dave Bliss?

BillyBall
3/30/2011, 03:39 PM
what about Dave Bliss?

Just trying to cover up murders somewhere.

87sooner
3/30/2011, 03:41 PM
RIGHT ON! and, what about Dave Bliss?

you know....that's not a bad idea...
if joe can't get who he wants....maybe he should just hire bliss and tubbs to revive the program and then when it's up and running strong....and the job is attractive again....hire a top coach...
he could even add kelvin in a couple years when his ncaa ban expires...
let tubbs coach offense...kelvin coach defense....and bliss could check the lockers for guns every day before practice...

soonerfromgeorgia
3/30/2011, 04:13 PM
I think they'll end up hiring some D-II coach that will come in and do no better than the last 2 years. This will lead to the same discussion in 3 or 4 years. I feel that in the coaching circles the OU job just isn't looked at as that great of a gig.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 04:15 PM
I think they'll end up hiring some D-II coach that will come in and do no better than the last 2 years. This will lead to the same discussion in 3 or 4 years. I feel that in the coaching circles the OU job just isn't looked at as that great of a gig.

Got a question for you....

Are you ever going to be able to bring yourself to say anything good about the Sooner Athletic Program?

KuppiKunta
3/30/2011, 04:20 PM

The longer this search goes on, the more likely you are to be right.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 04:23 PM
KuppiKunta...

It could be that...or some coaches just want to make the OU job their posturing excuse for a raise.

Either way, there are a lot of worse jobs than OU out there.

And as far as hiring a D-II coach...it may or may not work out...just like hiring any damn coach.

Worked out pretty damn good for OU when they hired a High School coach to take over the women's program!

Collier11
3/30/2011, 07:37 PM
Bruce Pearl was a D2 coach if I remember correctly, if you take out the lying he is a damn good coach. If you can coach you can coach, its all about the other stuff that gets people in trouble