PDA

View Full Version : Headed to SanFran...

Veritas
3/28/2011, 11:15 AM
...for a week or so. Anything I need to see or do, besides watch out for my cornhole?

Oldnslo
3/28/2011, 11:19 AM
Great vacation spot! Bring a jacket.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/28/2011, 11:19 AM
Have you been there before?

If not, fisherman's wharf is cool but bring good walking shoes, I went on the Alcatraz tour. It was cool but not life changing. Any boat tour is usually good. There are lots of good restaurants so also bring your appetite. If you want to go somewhere a few blocks away and someone says "Let's Walk" tell them to f**k off because the streets are literally at a 45 degree slope

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 11:20 AM
bring a butt plug

OULenexaman
3/28/2011, 11:20 AM
Slap Pelosi..

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2011, 11:22 AM
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2011, 11:23 AM
Go hungry, and enjoy

olevetonahill
3/28/2011, 11:23 AM
Like was said Fishermens wharf , China town, Take lots of spendin cash ;)

yermom
3/28/2011, 11:25 AM
you beat me to watching your cornhole, so i got nothin'

one of the handful of big US cities i haven't been to that i want to

Jammin'
3/28/2011, 11:28 AM
Don't forget your socks.

olevetonahill
3/28/2011, 11:33 AM
If yer into the "Summer of love" and the Age of Aquarius, Ya got to visit the Haight :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haight-Ashbury

Veritas
3/28/2011, 11:33 AM
Have you been there before?

If not, fisherman's wharf is cool but bring good walking shoes, I went on the Alcatraz tour. It was cool but not life changing. Any boat tour is usually good. There are lots of good restaurants so also bring your appetite. If you want to go somewhere a few blocks away and someone says "Let's Walk" tell them to f**k off because the streets are literally at a 45 degree slope
Oddly enough I've been there for business many many times but have never had time to do anything recreational.

We've got a couple meetings but we're taking the rest of the time to do vacationy stuff.

olevetonahill
3/28/2011, 11:37 AM
SF in the 60s was Allsome
Ive not spent much time there since :cool:

3rdgensooner
3/28/2011, 11:39 AM
Bring a jacket.I second this.

Also, I usually travel with my toothbrush and toothpaste, but that's just me.

Veritas
3/28/2011, 11:39 AM
If yer into the "Summer of love" and the Age of Aquarius, Ya got to visit the Haight :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haight-Ashbury
I recently watched a documentary on that...it would be interesting, for sure. I'll see if the Mrs. is up for that.

olevetonahill
3/28/2011, 11:40 AM
Some allsome concerts back then , Lots of Dope and Punanny :hot:

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 11:40 AM
you beat me to watching your cornhole

maybe the brown eye is watching you

Veritas
3/28/2011, 11:42 AM
Some allsome concerts back then , Lots of Dope and Punanny :hot:
That had to be some stankbush though, given the stance on bathing.

Of course you were high, so... ;)

olevetonahill
3/28/2011, 11:43 AM
That had to be some stankbush though, given the stance on bathing.

Of course you were high, so... ;)

:D Hell even Sic em coulda got laid then :hot:

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 11:45 AM
San Francisco is one of my top 2-3 travel to cities. There's a lot to do, and what you do will depend on the amount of time you have. If you've just got a day, I recommend parking (or cabbing) down to the Pier 39 area and then just walk around from there. Pier 39 itself is meh (it's just a big tourist trap with all the generic crap in it), but head on down the Embarcadero towards Ghirradelli Square area. If you want to take a boat ride that's pretty OK. They'll take you out under the Golden Gate and around Alcatraz. I personally wouldn't do the Alcatraz tour - especially if you don't have a lot of time.

Hop on the cable car down there and take it to Chinatown (or walk or cab). Eat lunch there - my personal favorite is the R & G Lounge http://www.rnglounge.com/

After lunch you can wander around Union Square and/or Chinatown. Head back down to Fisherman's Wharf, and visit Lou's Pier 47 (I call it "blues at Lou's") http://www.louspier47.com/ They have live blues 365 days a year. They're located upstairs above the seafood restaraunt. You can eat dinner at any of the seafood joints along there (none of them are really top drawer, but they're all pretty good) or you can cab it over to North Beach and get some outstanding seafood/italian food.

You may also want to walk (or drive) down Lombard St. I walked up it a month or so ago when I was out there and it's a steep mother. Finally, don't worry about the butt plug. I've seen more queers in Norman than I have out there.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 11:46 AM
thats because they were behind you

KantoSooner
3/28/2011, 11:46 AM
Irish Coffee at Fisherman's wharf. Excellent way to end a day. Or start one.

If you have time, take the wine country train up to Napa.

Or the ferry over to Marin (great squid sandwiches at the yacht harbor on the other side).

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah. Another thing that's cool. Park by the Golden Gate and then walk across. Pretty cool when a super tanker or big cargo ship comes right underneath you. And like everybody else said, bring a jacket. I usually bring a couple layers because sometimes the sun comes out and it gets warm and you'll need to shed.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 11:49 AM
Or the ferry over to Marin (great squid sandwiches at the yacht harbor on the other side).

Or you can drive across the GG to Marin as well. If you go on up you can go to the Muir Woods. Very cool and I recommend it.

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2011, 11:51 AM
I reiterate, and I think Dean did as well: research the dining options beforehand, and enjoy. SanFran is the good food mecca of the universe. You could eat out for 2 months straight, never eat at the same place twice and never be disappointed

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2011, 11:52 AM
the Muir Woods.

is that part of the Humboldt protected forest? That's one thing I've never done, but want to.

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2011, 11:55 AM
Honestly, you have to watch out more for the homeless trying to bum money off you than your own bum out there.

Ditto on Fisherman's Warf, riding the cable cars, driving over the Golden Gate Bridge, riding the ferry out to Alcatraz. etc.

Been there to do vacationy stuff 3 times in my lifetime, but I haven't been out there in 11 years.

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2011, 11:56 AM
And if you have time to drive down to Carmel...

Do it.

Viking Kitten
3/28/2011, 11:59 AM
Second for Muir Woods and walking across the Golden Gate. Drive up to the top of the Marin Headlands while you're at it. And the food is paradise.

crawfish
3/28/2011, 12:04 PM
NAPA Valley wine tour. They've got a few very nice ones that take you to 4-5 wineries around the are. Muir Woods is nice. Golden Gate Park is great, go to the Science Museum if you have kids. Alcatraz is worth the trip. Eat at Scoma's and don't miss out on clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at Boudin's. There are really so many good places to eat you can't go wrong (but it can be very expensive).

OUthunder
3/28/2011, 12:13 PM
...for a week or so. Anything I need to see or do, besides watch out for my cornhole?

Board yer tush up! :D

soonerbrat
3/28/2011, 12:15 PM
Ghirardelli.

all-day cable car pass.

OhU1
3/28/2011, 12:33 PM
Anchor Steam Brewery if you are really into your beer (but must reserve tour time on-line in advance).

If you want to ride the cable car DO NOT wait at the end of the cable car line. You will wait for 30 minutes or longer with all the other tourists. Simply hop on the car when it makes one of its stops. Bonus - it's usually free because the conductor usually doesn't bother to come around and they don't really care.

BillyBall
3/28/2011, 12:35 PM
Go to the Toronado. Best bar in America.

soonerbrat
3/28/2011, 12:38 PM
if you're a fan of garlic go to the Stinking Rose. there will be no vampires anywhere near you if you do that.

OhU1
3/28/2011, 01:02 PM
Go to the Toronado. Best bar in America.

Damn, I had planned to go there and never made it. Some of the people on the Anchor Steam tour said it was great too.

Turd_Ferguson
3/28/2011, 01:39 PM
Watch out for the Zodiac Killer...

Also, just to drive it home(no pun intended)...cover yer cornhole...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 01:40 PM
cover yer cornhole...

because yermom is watching it

uncle mo
3/28/2011, 01:47 PM
And if you have time to drive down to Carmel...

Do it.

This.

Also, eat at The Taddich Grill. Love that place.

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2011, 02:09 PM
Also, if you venture far enough north past the Golden Gate bridge, you'll wind up in Sausalito.

Plenty of good places to eat there, as well.

soonerhubs
3/28/2011, 02:17 PM
We went to Ghirardelli Square and got some hot chocolate for what it's worth.

http://www.ghirardelli.com/

Breadburner
3/28/2011, 02:17 PM
If you drop anything just leave it.....

Lott's Bandana
3/28/2011, 02:34 PM
San Francisco is one of my top 2-3 travel to cities. There's a lot to do, and what you do will depend on the amount of time you have. If you've just got a day, I recommend parking (or cabbing) down to the Pier 39 area and then just walk around from there. Pier 39 itself is meh (it's just a big tourist trap with all the generic crap in it), but head on down the Embarcadero towards Ghirradelli Square area. If you want to take a boat ride that's pretty OK. They'll take you out under the Golden Gate and around Alcatraz. I personally wouldn't do the Alcatraz tour - especially if you don't have a lot of time.

Hop on the cable car down there and take it to Chinatown (or walk or cab). Eat lunch there - my personal favorite is the R & G Lounge http://www.rnglounge.com/

After lunch you can wander around Union Square and/or Chinatown. Head back down to Fisherman's Wharf, and visit Lou's Pier 47 (I call it "blues at Lou's") http://www.louspier47.com/ They have live blues 365 days a year. They're located upstairs above the seafood restaraunt. You can eat dinner at any of the seafood joints along there (none of them are really top drawer, but they're all pretty good) or you can cab it over to North Beach and get some outstanding seafood/italian food.

You may also want to walk (or drive) down Lombard St. I walked up it a month or so ago when I was out there and it's a steep mother. Finally, don't worry about the butt plug. I've seen more queers in Norman than I have out there.

A great writeup for the typical tourist.

If you want to do it "local", add more meals in Chinatown, some exploration in North Beach and make sure you get across the bridge to the Marin Headlands...the most amazing coastal wilderness less than 5 miles from a ginormous city. Muir Woods is part of it.

Golden Gate Park is an entire day, with gardens, aquarium, museums, etc.

Finally, if you are very comfortable with your own yearnings, the Castro District is actually pretty cool, with great restaurants and boutiques...if you are into that sort of thing. Probably the cleanest part of the city too. Norman doesn't even compare to the Castro, but I'm not surprised Deano hadn't been there.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/28/2011, 02:36 PM
A copy and paste from last spring....

1. Alcatraz tour. Get tickets at least a week in advance online.

http://keetsa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/alcatraz.jpg

2. Tour of USS Pampanito WWII sub at the wharf.

3. Chinatown. If you want a rec on where to eat in Chinatown, I say R & G Lounge. Their signature dishes are the roast duck and salt-and-pepper crab.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3379599049_ccb15331f9.jpg

4. Drive down the World's crookest street (a section of Lombard Street).

http://blog.ratestogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/lombard-street.jpg

5. Most importantly, catch the cable car at the turntable (Powell and 5th street). Ride it to the end, near the wharf. Get off and go have a world famous Irish Coffee or two at the Buena Vista Cafe.

http://z.about.com/d/gosanfrancisco/1/0/A/-/-/-/BuenaVistaCafe.jpg

http://www.georgetowner.com/media/images/derivatives/article_buenavista-3_web.jpg

This is the best post you've ever made. All very good recommendations.

I didn't know anybody else knew about the R&G Lounge. It's the ****.

Also, if you like ice cream/chocolate, hit Ghiaradellis for a sundae called "The Rock." And if you like beer and live blues, hit Lou's Pier 39 upstairs. I've seen several San Francisco blues acts there who went on to become fairly famous. Tommy Castro comes to mind as one of them.

We usually take one of the ferries out under the Golden Gate too, and if you've got a little time, drive across to Marin County, park, and then walk back across the bridge. It ain't too far, and it's pretty cool. Check out all the netting and suicide prevention phones.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2011, 02:45 PM
Get up and drive across the Golden Gate to Marin County. Eat breakfast here:

http://www.dipseacafe.com/

Then head over to Muir Woods.

Do it. Or I will end you.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 02:48 PM
Dang, Juan is pretty sharp sometimes.

They have removed the suicide nets from the GG though. Still have the crisis phones every few hundred feet.

I forgot about the Pampanito. You can visit it in less than an hour or so. Self-guided walk through dealio. I don't know how them poor, dumb bastards did it back then with all the diesel fumes, sleeping under torpedoes, etc. It was also the sub used in that Kelsey Grammer flick "Up Periscope."

Aldebaran
3/28/2011, 03:14 PM
These are great especially if you're bringing kids (especially the last three).

http://www.calacademy.org/

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

http://cartoonart.org/

http://www.zeum.org/

virginiasooner
3/28/2011, 03:47 PM
Lots of good places to eat in North Beach. The San Francisco Chronicle has a restaurant critic -- check out his site to find the right place for you. If you're in to local theatre, DO NOT MISS "Beach Blanket Babylon" -- total riot. The hats are the highlight of the show. Coit Tower -- take the bus up to the top, and walk down. If you pick the right staircase/path, you may catch some of the "Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill" -- rent the movie or read the book by Mark Bittner. Also, head out to the Cliff House, on the Pacific. Food is okay, but the view is phenomenal. Check out the Museum of Asian Art in Golden Gate Park. And everyone else's suggestions are great as well.

Skysooner
3/28/2011, 03:51 PM
My personal favorite thing to do is to rent a bike down at Fisherman's wharf and ride the bike trails up and across the Golden Gate Bridge. There is a Bike only lane on the west side. It is very windy and cold but beautiful. It is pretty much all uphill from Pier 39 up there. You can then either take the highway down into Sausalito and take one of the boats back (more expensive) or turn around and have the mostly downhill trip back to Pier 39. It is about an 8 mile ride up and across (16 miles roundtrip).

Chuck Bao
3/28/2011, 04:04 PM
I second Olevet's recommendation of Haight and Lott's suggestion of the Castro. If you like to people watch, there are some very interesting people in this world.

Oh, if you want a Prince Albert, I can recommend a tattoo and piercing shop just off of the Castro. They are very clean and professional. But, I warn you that they will turn you down if you show up drunk.

I can't ever remember being disappointed in restaurant meal in San Francisco. There are numerous places that locals go that are not so expensive and not so touristy.

On second thought, I can remember being disappointed in several Thai restaurants there. It is just not the same as in Thailand and 10x the price. But, you may not notice that and I am sure that it has improved over the last several years.

I agree with Dean, the Chinese food in Chinatown is most excellent, almost as good as Hong Kong and not really so expensive relative to Hong Kong prices. Besides, I just love going and practicing my Cantonese on the waiters. That is always good drunky fun when I am at my best linguist abilities.

Like Dean, I think San Francisco is one of the best places to visit in the US and one of the best that I have visited anywhere. I used to visit San Francisco at least once a year on business and even when I didn't I would always fly through San Francisco on my trips going back to Asia and would arrange for a 2-3 day layover there. Even when I didn't do that, and this is back in the days when they didn't watch passengers and luggage being checked through, I would use the four hour layover to jump in a taxi to go to Castro street, buy some books at the gay bookstores, buy poppers and get pleasantly drunk before jumping in a taxi back to the airport and continue on my merry way to Asia. Obviously, you can't do that anymore.

Veritas, relax and enjoy your trip. Your cornhole will be fine. Don't listen to these dudes.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 05:12 PM
What Chuck said.

Blue
3/28/2011, 05:31 PM
Drive down to Capitola. Have a Bloody mary on the water. Take in a Giants game. Drive up Hwy 1 throuhgh half Moon Bay. Napa for a day.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 05:35 PM
I went to a Giants game in July at the old Candlestick. I got there in shorts/T-shirt. I couldn't believe all the people with 49er parkas. Once the sun went down, I wished I would have had one. Coldest ****ing night of my life.

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2011, 05:47 PM
And if you wanna get high at a Giants game, sit in the bleachers.

Phil
3/28/2011, 05:48 PM
There are some nice places to eat on Russian Hill, including a really good burger place and a Thai place (right across the street.) The names escape me, though.

Chuck Bao
3/28/2011, 06:06 PM
I have even taken the Bart to Oakland Collesium to watch my beloved Cowboys play the Raiders. That was fun, like Halloween. Oakland just has a bad rap in my opinion. I was wearing a Cowboys jersey and everyone around me was wearing the black and silver and face paint or gorilla masks. The Cowboys pulled it out in the fourth quarter. They were all extremely nice to me and very weird and funny. It was really dress-up Halloween. Maybe it was Halloween.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 06:08 PM
I have even taken the Bart to Oakland Collesium to watch my beloved Cowboys play the Raiders. That was fun, like Halloween. Oakland just has a bad rap in my opinion. I was wearing a Cowboys jersey and everyone around me was wearing the black and silver and face paint or gorilla masks. The Cowboys pulled it out in the fourth quarter. They were all extremely nice to me and very weird and funny. It was really dress-up Halloween. Maybe it was Halloween.

Dude, you were just lucky to land in the gay section.

Sooner5030
3/28/2011, 06:45 PM
my wife always makes me go to that freaking chocolate factory next to the wharf. Parking usually sucks and I am more interested in further planning the rest of our trip. We've always been there with our RV so we stay either at Half Moon Bay or at a regional park in Oakland. We either head north to redding or east to tahoe after SF.

good place to visit though. Also, I've always liked the old presidio (sp) area for some reason......not to be confused with the language institute at Monteray.

Veritas
3/28/2011, 06:49 PM
I think San Francisco is one of the best places to visit in the US and one of the best that I have visited anywhere. I used to visit San Francisco at least once a year on business and even when I didn't I would always fly through San Francisco on my trips going back to Asia and would arrange for a 2-3 day layover there. Even when I didn't do that, and this is back in the days when they didn't watch passengers and luggage being checked through, I would use the four hour layover to jump in a taxi to go to Castro street, buy some books at the gay bookstores, buy poppers and get pleasantly drunk before jumping in a taxi back to the airport and continue on my merry way to Asia. Obviously, you can't do that anymore.
Poppers. Those I haven't though of in a long time. I had a really good friend back in my Dallas days that would bring those when we'd go out drinking. Good times.

We will probably hit Castro; been doing some research and it looks like there are really cool shops and stuff along there. Looks like Cedar Springs in Dallas x 20.

Chuck Bao
3/28/2011, 07:17 PM
Dude, the Alternative Light Bookstore on Castro was always my favorite with some pretty great books not carried by most bookstores. The really, really cool thing is that they occasionally have autographed copies of books by gay authors who they would invite for a signing and meet the fans. A quick Google search yielded zip so I don't know if they are still in business. That would be a great pity if they are gone.

For poppers go to the Jaquar, just off the Castro. Don't ask for poppers because they'll say wrong place, go away. Instead, ask for leather cleaner.

Across from the Jaquar is a small sports bar that you can watch football on Saturday or Sunday. But, I warn you that they are largely 49ers fans. Anyway, there is barkeep there that is one of my very good friends. Her name is Silvia. She is a tremendous person and has come to Bangkok, along with her girlfriend, to visit me.

texaspokieokie
3/29/2011, 09:57 AM
go to Coit Tower.

have a drink @ the "Top of the Mark", Mark Hopkins Hotel.

noted above that Oakland just gets a "bad rap".

Oakland is a "bad ***" town.

have a friend that lives there.

it ain't safe.

Lott's Bandana
3/29/2011, 07:35 PM
Veritas since you are a pilot you might find this interesting.

In Marin County, (other side of GG Bridge) there is an old Air Force Base on the San Pablo Bay (northern part of SF Bay) that had a single runway built from reclamation of the Bay in the early 20th century.

Hamilton Air Force Base was closed in 1973 but is still used for military housing, commercial development and has several beautiful old Command, Support and Hanger buildings preserved on the National Register. My father retired from the USAF the same day as the Base and as the outgoing Base Civil Engineer, his retirement was part of the Base Closing Ceremony.

Recently, the Army Corps of Engineers removed the earth dikes that protected the runway and ramp from the Bay. Slowly the runway is becoming a wetlands again and Google Earth has some cool before/after photos.

Incidentally, it goes without saying, living just north of SF in 1970 at age ten was a pretty influential experience. I know that city well and know of no more contradictory and diverse community on the planet. Amazing and aggravating at the same time.

I suspect you will really enjoy it. Cheers.

OUthunder
3/29/2011, 07:53 PM
Don't forget the KY and leave your cigars at home. No smoking allowed in California.