PDA

View Full Version : How do teams like VCU, Butler "out recruit"

achiro
3/28/2011, 10:08 AM
I know part of why they get to the tourney is because of the conferences they're in and such but many of these teams seem to do pretty darn well once they get there. So the question I have is why/how? Is it GPA requirements or something like that? Is it the "one and done" thing hurting bigger schools with bigger name recruits that never let those teams learn to work together? Any other reasons?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 10:13 AM
Is it the "one and done" thing hurting bigger schools with bigger name recruits that never let those teams learn to work together?

chemistry and trust..I watched both of those teams play in the regular season...really not much to watch..in fact I saw both of them lose to lesser conference opponents..

But the tournament is about guard play, trust, and chemistry...they can pass the ball to a spot because they know their teammate will be there...they trust the other guys to make plays..they aren't trying to showcase their skills, they want to win..

Heard this today...Butler has won 9 out of their last 10 tourney games..the largest margin of victory for them is 7....that means a lot of close games...chemistry and trust win close games..

Soonerson1975
3/28/2011, 10:25 AM
They recruit smarter players who can play defense and shoot the basketball. It's a hell of a concept.

Jacie
3/28/2011, 10:31 AM
If they either of them had a football team, I am sure the Sooners could beat em . . .

badger
3/28/2011, 11:32 AM
The same reason players like Del Curry's sons end up at Davidson and Liberty instead of top D-1 programs despite being the sons of a great player and being good shooters themselves. Players fall through the cracks sometimes. Not the fault of big name specific coaches or programs, it just happens.

Collier11
3/28/2011, 11:40 AM
they also have more Juniors and Seniors...chemistry is huge

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 11:43 AM
yeah the talent thing isn't that much of it..Heck VCU finished 4th in the colonial league..behind hofstra

Sooner_Bob
3/28/2011, 12:53 PM
Peaking at the right time helps too . . .

That's what she said!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 12:59 PM
hey! don't open and close the door!

JRAM
3/28/2011, 01:21 PM
They don't outrecruit, they just don't get the one and done players and as a result, they have their players for multiple years to develop into a team. That is the landscape of college basketball today and will be until they do away with the stupid one and done. It has to change or the mid-majors will end up dominating.

sperry
3/28/2011, 02:40 PM
They are really well coached. Butler is not a "great" team, as evidenced by their record this season. However, they have some nice players, and their coach has outcoached every team they've faced, including 2 time National Champion Billy Donovan. Throw in a little luck (the ODU and Pitt games), and there you have it.

Also, the 3 point shot is the great equalizer in the tournament. VCU went 12-25 in their game against KU. KU was 2-21. If you shoot 50% from beyond the arc, you're going to beat most teams, regardless of talent discrepancy.

AlboSooner
3/28/2011, 03:04 PM
Big time schools go after the one and done type players, or two and done athletes, while these smaller schools start seniors in the tourney. Experience and hard work > talent and athleticism.

Collier11
3/28/2011, 03:05 PM
Another thing is that these so called mid majors recruit system guys while the big programs recruit talent first, even if they dont fit the system

LiveLaughLove
3/28/2011, 03:12 PM
Experience and hard work > talent and athleticism.

Both are in the Final Four. VCU and Butler may be experience, hard work guys, but KY (especially) and UConn are talent, athleticism guys.

Calipari said he would rather have talent over experience. Of course, since thats what he has, he would make that argument. Stevens might say the opposite.

AlboSooner
3/28/2011, 03:18 PM
Both are in the Final Four..
You are right. I doubt Kentucky wins it this year.