PDA

View Full Version : Has any team, who was a preseason #1

Dan Thompson
3/28/2011, 10:00 AM
gone all the way and won the national championship, if so, who and when?

If no team has done this, what team(s) came close?

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 10:01 AM
Usc a few years back, I don't remember which year though.

KantoSooner
3/28/2011, 10:02 AM
I would be surprised if OU hadn't done this in either the 1950's or 1970's, but I'm not really a stats head.

soonermix
3/28/2011, 10:04 AM
fsu in 99 i think... but i didn't look it up
i could have made it up
who knows.

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 10:05 AM
i could have made it up
who knows.

I think that's right.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/28/2011, 10:08 AM

USC did in the 2004 season when the played us in the Orange Bowl. Let me guess, yall don't remember that... :rolleyes: ;)

Mississippi Sooner
3/28/2011, 10:10 AM
I would be surprised if OU hadn't done this in either the 1950's or 1970's, but I'm not really a stats head.

I can't speak for the 70s, but I do know that the Sooners didn't do it in the 1950s, as unbelievable as that is considering the 47 game winning streak. In 1955 they started out number 3, and on two different occasions in 1956 they were dropped from number 1 to number 2.

swardboy
3/28/2011, 10:14 AM
I can't speak for the 70s, but I do know that the Sooners didn't do it in the 1950s, as unbelievable as that is considering the 47 game winning streak. In 1955 they started out number 3, and on two different occasions in 1956 they were dropped from number 1 to number 2.

Stupid espin....

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 10:14 AM
USC did in the 2004 season when the played us in the Orange Bowl. Let me guess, yall don't remember that... :rolleyes: ;)

I remember making a trip to Miami that year, but I don't remember why I went.... :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
3/28/2011, 10:17 AM
i could have made it up
who knows.

That was the team I immediately thought of.

anglachel
3/28/2011, 10:43 AM
OU in '85 was preseason #1. We did not hold it all year, but we got it back when it mattered.

Soonermagik
3/28/2011, 10:45 AM
I know for sure USC!!

IronHorseSooner
3/28/2011, 10:48 AM
I know for sure USC!!

Only in the eyes of the AP.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2011, 10:49 AM

The NCAA says "What game?"

85sooners
3/28/2011, 10:59 AM
Booomer!!!!!

josh09
3/28/2011, 11:05 AM

Yea, it was USC in 2004, when they pummeled us in the NC game.

oudavid1
3/28/2011, 11:16 AM
This girl my sophomore year of high school said i was her number 1 and i went all the way.

badger
3/28/2011, 11:20 AM
just for the sake of argument, the past preseason #1's recently:

2010: Bammer
2009: Florida (looked good up till Tebow's tears, hehe)
2008: Georgia (hahahahahahaha)
2007: USC (up till their Stanford upset, hehe)
2006: Ohio State (every week till losing to UF in the title game)
2005: USC (also every week till losing the title game)
2004: USC (every week)
2003: OU (stayed on top till after the Big 12 title game)
2002: Miami (gave up the top spot after a near-loss, then dropped for good after losing to tOSU in the title game)
2001: Florida (Miami overtook them in week 3, never giving it up)
2000: Nebraksa (who had to swap with FSU one week, then had to give it up to us the rest of the season after we beat them)
1999: Florida State (all season)
1998: Ohio State (gave up the top slot to Rocky Top in November)

This is the opinion polls, not the BCS, which hardly ever reflects the opinion polls.

yermom
3/28/2011, 11:32 AM
This girl my sophomore year of high school said i was her number 1 and i went all the way.

and now you are waiting until marriage. how cute.

Leroy Lizard
3/28/2011, 11:38 AM

With her, right? (Please tell us it was with her.)

SoonerPride
3/28/2011, 11:48 AM

I won't believe it until I see it.

Show us her Tweets.

TahoeSOONER
3/28/2011, 11:51 AM
Preseason #1, if OU even starts there, just shows you the programs where it's been and where it should be. I was dropping my son off at school this morning and Colin Cowherd was comparing KU basketball to Oklahoma and even went into Choklahoma in bowl games. He said LSU and Texas football were stepup programs and they step up in big games. I couldn't stop laughing but as absurd as this shock jock asshat is trying to be there are people feeding this BS to fans even after all these Big 12 titles and title runs. OU has lost some title games but equally have a title, rose and fiesta. Haters are gonna hate and all and OU fans know were living in some special times for Oklahoma football but preseaon #1 doesn't mean jack **** other than a reflection of a good program with all the tools to win it all.

There's unfinished business on the national scene even after all these years. I'm looking forward to the title run this year to try and shut some of these haters up. Preseason #1 start would be as good a starting place as any but Oklahoma has control of where it goes with out all the hype.

JLEW1818
3/28/2011, 11:58 AM
5-7

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 12:02 PM
Preseason #1, if OU even starts there, just shows you the programs where it's been and where it should be. I was dropping my son off at school this morning and Colin Cowherd was comparing KU basketball to Oklahoma and even went into Choklahoma in bowl games. He said LSU and Texas football were stepup programs and they step up in big games. I couldn't stop laughing but as absurd as this shock jock asshat is trying to be there are people feeding this BS to fans even after all these Big 12 titles and title runs. OU has lost some title games but equally have a title, rose and fiesta. Haters are gonna hate and all and OU fans know were living in some special times for Oklahoma football but preseaon #1 doesn't mean jack **** other than a reflection of a good program with all the tools to win it all.

There's unfinished business on the national scene even after all these years. I'm looking forward to the title run this year to try and shut some of these haters up. Preseason #1 start would be as good a starting place as any but Oklahoma has control of where it goes with out all the hype.

7 CC vs 3 CC? To me it's seems like OU steps up more and chokes less when it matters, against conference opponents late in the season. But in Cowturd's defense, Texas is a much larger market.

OUTrumpet
3/28/2011, 12:05 PM
I see the USC, FSU references, but what were they during the mid 90s? I'm wanting to know about the championships Nebraska had there - were they #1 all season?

TahoeSOONER
3/28/2011, 12:19 PM
7 CC vs 3 CC? To me it's seems like OU steps up more and chokes less when it matters, against conference opponents late in the season. But in Cowturd's defense, Texas is a much larger market.

Baffled me to the point of laughter a few times but thats why there's unfinished business on the national scene for Oklahoma football. There are many who cast aside the conference dominance because OU has lost some tough National title games in other teams backyard. I really don't like talking about potential because it can only be answered on the field. I guess many, other than cowterd, liked the way OU finished on the field last year so they crown them #1 to start this year.

I hate the off season hype talk BTW, meaningless.

PalmBeachSooner
3/28/2011, 01:37 PM
i could have made it up
who knows.

I think they are the only team to start the preseason #1 and finish #1 without ever falling out of #1.

I think OU started preseason #1 in '85, dropped after losing to UM but finished #1 after beating PSU in the OB and UM lost to Alabammer.

PalmBeachSooner
3/28/2011, 01:41 PM

Show us her Tweets.

That would make you a sex offender in today's world.

oudavid1
3/28/2011, 02:56 PM
and now you are waiting until marriage. how cute.

Yaaaaaaa, lets go with that. [/Catholic]

With her, right? (Please tell us it was with her.)

:D :D :D :D

Show us her Tweets.

lol i saw her tweets :D

SoonerinSouthlake
3/28/2011, 03:24 PM

THOUGHT we were # 1 in pre season when we lost Orange Bowl

SUC was # 1 in following pre season...which Vince and the tinywhorns won.

of course....this is just my ever slipping memory talking...does anyone have actual data at hand?

badger
3/28/2011, 04:14 PM
I see the USC, FSU references, but what were they during the mid 90s? I'm wanting to know about the championships Nebraska had there - were they #1 all season?

94, 95 and 97, right?

In 1997, Penn State was the AP's preseason #1. Florida, Nebrasky and Meat chicken (sorry, I know you kind of like them, hehe) all had time at the top spot that season.

Nebbish started the 1995 season #2, going up to #1 after defeating then-#7 Colorado at the end of October.

Those Big 12 traitors started 94 at #4, jumping to #1 after their first win, dropping to #2 in week 2 (no apparent reason why, just did) then down to #3 after (likely) a seemingly weak win over KSU on the road in mid-October, 17-6. They were #1 in the last four polls.

PLaw
3/28/2011, 04:35 PM

Didn't they have to vacate all of those wins ;)

BOOMAH

JLEW1818
3/28/2011, 04:39 PM
better question,

what years did 1&2 stay 1&2 the entire regular season?

usc
OU

usc
texas

what else?

agoo758
3/28/2011, 04:43 PM
i could have made it up
who knows.

Correct.

A Sooner in Texas
3/28/2011, 06:07 PM
5-7

It cannot be said enough.:texan::mack:

jersey sooner
3/28/2011, 06:14 PM
I can't believe the mods didn't lock this thread up the minute it was made

MamaMia
3/28/2011, 11:19 PM
USC did in the 2004 season when the played us in the Orange Bowl. Let me guess, yall don't remember that... :rolleyes: ;)TGOWWSNS! :mad:

pappy
3/29/2011, 03:24 AM

Not really defending Cowherd. I didn't hear his show so I'm basing this off what you said and previous Cowherd shows I've heard. First off anytime Cowherd is talking about the great football teams in the country he always mentions Oklahoma as 1 of them. His comparison makes sense...look at OU football since 2000 and Kansas Basketball since 2000 both have 1 national championship and lots of conference championships, but both lose in bcs games or ncaa tournament games. Nationally both are viewed as choking in those games because nationally people only care about national titles/bcs games/ncaa tournament games. Conference championships matter to the people of *that* conference and *that* conference only. National titles, bcs bowls and ncaa tournament games matter to everyone in the country. So when he says "big" games he isn't talking about conference championship games.

cleller
3/29/2011, 06:44 AM
When did the preseason rankings start? In the 1950's having a coach named Wilkinson probably gave you the automatic #1 spot.

Would have been interesting to hear Bud's take on preseaon polls.

Salt City Sooner
3/29/2011, 03:09 PM
Not really defending Cowherd. I didn't hear his show so I'm basing this off what you said and previous Cowherd shows I've heard. First off anytime Cowherd is talking about the great football teams in the country he always mentions Oklahoma as 1 of them. His comparison makes sense...look at OU football since 2000 and Kansas Basketball since 2000 both have 1 national championship and lots of conference championships, but both lose in bcs games or ncaa tournament games. Nationally both are viewed as choking in those games because nationally people only care about national titles/bcs games/ncaa tournament games. Conference championships matter to the people of *that* conference and *that* conference only. National titles, bcs bowls and ncaa tournament games matter to everyone in the country. So when he says "big" games he isn't talking about conference championship games.
I see the point you're trying to make, but I don't agree w/ the comparison. OU football has been "choking" vs. teams who have had every bit as good of a season, & were every bit as good as the Sooners did/were (LSU in New Orleans, UF in Florida, USC was favored, WVU was a Pat White thumb injury away from winning the NC vs. tOSU, & BSU was the higher ranked team, & IMO, OU was very fortunate to be in that game in the first place). KU has been losing to solid/good mid-major teams such as Bucknell, Bradley, UNI, & now, VCU, who was only in the tourney in the first place due to a brainfart by the selection committee (although I will more than willingly admit they do have my admiration for making the most of their opportunity). The only game OU played of the above list that's even close to comparable IMO, is BSU, & that game was a mismatch in name only due mainly to our offensive limitations that year.

texaspokieokie
3/29/2011, 03:41 PM
surprising that OU wasn't #1 all thru 56, having been undefeated in 54 & 55.

Soonerson1975
3/29/2011, 03:51 PM
surprising that OU wasn't #1 all thru 56, having been undefeated in 54 & 55.

It was because the media hated OU. ;)

SteelClip49
3/29/2011, 05:01 PM
I have the answer for you all!

Teams to start #1/Preseason #1's and end up as AP National Champion:

1936 Minnesota
1941 Minnesota
1942 Ohio State
1943 Notre Dame
1945 Army
1947 Notre Dame
1951 Tennessee
1952 Michigan State
1956 Oklahoma
1974 Oklahoma
1975 Oklahoma
1978 Alabama
1985 Oklahoma
1993 Florida State
1999 Florida State
2004 Southern Cal

Just for Sh**s and Giggles.....Teams to start AP #1 and finished unranked:

1939 Pittsburgh (TAMU wins title)
1950 Notre Dame (Oklahoma wins title)
1961 Iowa (Alabama wins title)

Oklahoma's other 2 NC years (1955 & 2000)....

1955 Pre #1- UCLA (1954 AP Champs)
2000 Pre #1- Nebraska (1999 Big XII & Fiesta Bowl Champs)

OKLAHOMA's Preseason #1 history:

1956: finished as national champions
1957: finished #4 in the AP
1974: finished as co-national champions
1975: finished as national champions
1977: finished AP #7
1985: finished as national champions
1986: finished as AP #3
1987: finished as AP #3
2003: finished as AP #3
2011: TBD

Other Big 8/12 teams to start #1 (including Nebraska still):

1946 Texas- finished AP #15
1965 Nebraska- finished AP #5
1972 Nebraska- finished AP #4
1976 Nebraska- finished AP #9
1983 Nebraska- finished AP #2
1996 Nebraska- finished AP #6
2000 Nebraska- finished AP #8

Sooner24
3/29/2011, 05:23 PM
OU in '85 was preseason #1. We did not hold it all year, but we got it back when it mattered.

In 1985 we were the pre-season #1 team. Our first game of the year was to be SMU on Sept. 14th. ABC asked us and SMU to move the game to Dec. 7th for a national TV broadcast. This was back in the day when a TV appearance was a big deal as you were only on two, or if you were lucky, three times a year. We had an open date between the scheduled SMU game and our second game of the year @ Minnesota. Because of this we did not play our first game of the year until Sept. 28th. By the time we played our first game we had already fallen from the #1 spot despite the fact we had not even played a single game. Our first home game of the year wasn't until Oct.19th when we lost to the Miami Hurricane. It was in this game we probably won the NC when Troy Aikman broke his leg and was replaced by Jamelle Holieway. Oklahoma was never ranked #1 in a single game they played in all season.

I am not sure but I would bet there has never been another team that started the season #1, finished the season #1 but never played a single game while ranked #1.

And now you know.....the rest of the story.

King Barry's Back
3/29/2011, 07:08 PM
I think they are the only team to start the preseason #1 and finish #1 without ever falling out of #1.

I think OU started preseason #1 in '85, dropped after losing to UM but finished #1 after beating PSU in the OB and UM lost to Alabammer.

Close but no cigar.

I've told this story before on soonerfans, but never hurts to repeat.

In 1985, OU was ranked #1 in the first couple of polls, and regained the top slot in the final poll following the bowl games.

However, the 85 Sooners never played a game while ranked no 1.

That season, we had a very strange schedule.

We were set to open a week late against SMU, and then have a bye week.

In 85, SMU was in its heydey, and the networks thought that matchup could decide the national championship, so they asked the schools to move the game to the end of the season.

The result is that OU opened the season a full three weeks after the rest of the country.

Although everybody expected OU to be a contender, with some high ranked schools already at 2-0, and some with big wins, they just didn't want to leave an untested OU team at No 1.

So, 1985 OU was pre-season and post-season No 1, but never took the field while holding the top slot.

Geez, I can still remember that slow start so very well. I was living in Walker Tower, and none of us had anything to do on Saturdays except watchother teams play on TV. By the time the season finally opened at Minnesota, we were just bursting at the seams.

Salt City Sooner
3/29/2011, 07:26 PM
A couple of things:

1. SMU definitely had it going on coming into '85, but they were a major disappointment that year. Flopped their way to 6-5.

2. It was Tennessee who took care of the 'canes in the Sugar Bowl, clearing the way for #6.

pappy
3/29/2011, 08:11 PM
I see the point you're trying to make, but I don't agree w/ the comparison. OU football has been "choking" vs. teams who have had every bit as good of a season, & were every bit as good as the Sooners did/were (LSU in New Orleans, UF in Florida, USC was favored, WVU was a Pat White thumb injury away from winning the NC vs. tOSU, & BSU was the higher ranked team, & IMO, OU was very fortunate to be in that game in the first place). KU has been losing to solid/good mid-major teams such as Bucknell, Bradley, UNI, & now, VCU, who was only in the tourney in the first place due to a brainfart by the selection committee (although I will more than willingly admit they do have my admiration for making the most of their opportunity). The only game OU played of the above list that's even close to comparable IMO, is BSU, & that game was a mismatch in name only due mainly to our offensive limitations that year.

I don't think OU should have the "chokelahoma" nickname but considering we were favored in 3 out of 5 of those bcs bowls (we weren't favored against florida were we?) you can see why we would get that nickname. The fact is we got whipped by 2 of them and lost to the other 3. I'm just saying its not as bad of a comparison as people want to make it. Yes Kansas lost to teams they should've beat and were favored to beat, but we lost to teams we should've beat and were favored to beat regardless of how good the other team was.

Sooner24
3/29/2011, 08:19 PM
In 1985 we were the pre-season #1 team. Our first game of the year was to be SMU on Sept. 14th. ABC asked us and SMU to move the game to Dec. 7th for a national TV broadcast. This was back in the day when a TV appearance was a big deal as you were only on two, or if you were lucky, three times a year. We had an open date between the scheduled SMU game and our second game of the year @ Minnesota. Because of this we did not play our first game of the year until Sept. 28th. By the time we played our first game we had already fallen from the #1 spot despite the fact we had not even played a single game. Our first home game of the year wasn't until Oct.19th when we lost to the Miami Hurricane. It was in this game we probably won the NC when Troy Aikman broke his leg and was replaced by Jamelle Holieway. Oklahoma was never ranked #1 in a single game they played in all season.

I am not sure but I would bet there has never been another team that started the season #1, finished the season #1 but never played a single game while ranked #1.

And now you know.....the rest of the story.

Close but no cigar.

I've told this story before on soonerfans, but never hurts to repeat.

In 1985, OU was ranked #1 in the first couple of polls, and regained the top slot in the final poll following the bowl games.

However, the 85 Sooners never played a game while ranked no 1.

That season, we had a very strange schedule.

We were set to open a week late against SMU, and then have a bye week.

In 85, SMU was in its heydey, and the networks thought that matchup could decide the national championship, so they asked the schools to move the game to the end of the season.

The result is that OU opened the season a full three weeks after the rest of the country.

Although everybody expected OU to be a contender, with some high ranked schools already at 2-0, and some with big wins, they just didn't want to leave an untested OU team at No 1.

So, 1985 OU was pre-season and post-season No 1, but never took the field while holding the top slot.

Geez, I can still remember that slow start so very well. I was living in Walker Tower, and none of us had anything to do on Saturdays except watchother teams play on TV. By the time the season finally opened at Minnesota, we were just bursting at the seams.

;)

Sooner70
4/2/2011, 10:03 AM
BUT, has there ever been a team ranked #1 preseason, held it every week thereafter, then ended up #1?

TheLadiesMike
4/2/2011, 02:54 PM
The correct answer is 1999 FSU and 2004 USC. Both of those teams were ranked #1 from preseason to the NC.

bigfatjerk
4/2/2011, 03:02 PM
I have the answer for you all!

Teams to start #1/Preseason #1's and end up as AP National Champion:

1936 Minnesota
1941 Minnesota
1942 Ohio State
1943 Notre Dame
1945 Army
1947 Notre Dame
1951 Tennessee
1952 Michigan State
1956 Oklahoma
1974 Oklahoma
1975 Oklahoma
1978 Alabama
1985 Oklahoma
1993 Florida State
1999 Florida State
2004 Southern Cal

Just for Sh**s and Giggles.....Teams to start AP #1 and finished unranked:

1939 Pittsburgh (TAMU wins title)
1950 Notre Dame (Oklahoma wins title)
1961 Iowa (Alabama wins title)

Oklahoma's other 2 NC years (1955 & 2000)....

1955 Pre #1- UCLA (1954 AP Champs)
2000 Pre #1- Nebraska (1999 Big XII & Fiesta Bowl Champs)

OKLAHOMA's Preseason #1 history:

1956: finished as national champions
1957: finished #4 in the AP
1974: finished as co-national champions
1975: finished as national champions
1977: finished AP #7
1985: finished as national champions
1986: finished as AP #3
1987: finished as AP #3
2003: finished as AP #3
2011: TBD

Other Big 8/12 teams to start #1 (including Nebraska still):

1946 Texas- finished AP #15
1965 Nebraska- finished AP #5
1972 Nebraska- finished AP #4
1976 Nebraska- finished AP #9
1983 Nebraska- finished AP #2
1996 Nebraska- finished AP #6
2000 Nebraska- finished AP #8
In the 30s-50s they did the polls several weeks into the season(I want to say 5) there were no preseason polls. And the determined the champ before the bowl games. The bowl games when they were conceived were meant to be meaningless exhibitions.

And some info on the 36 Minnesota team they were led by a center named Charles Burnham Wilkinson. I think I've heard of him somewhere.

bigfatjerk
4/2/2011, 03:04 PM
BUT, has there ever been a team ranked #1 preseason, held it every week thereafter, then ended up #1?

1999 Florida State is the last one. I think Florida State was also number 1 in 2000, went all the NC to face someone.

Salt City Sooner
4/2/2011, 08:48 PM
1999 Florida State is the last one. I think Florida State was also number 1 in 2000, went all the NC to face someone.
'04 USC.