PDA

View Full Version : How would you go about destroying earth?

JohnnyMack
3/28/2011, 09:36 AM
I don't mean destroying it in the hippie, "Oh god there's plastic in this turtle's belly" way.

I don't even mean a nuclear holocaust.

I mean, how could man physically destroy a planet?*

Create enough antimatter that it accidentally swallows the planet?

Could we go Armageddon style and deep core drill down and pack in enough nukes to cause the planet to explode?

How do we get this done?

*Save your lame Death Star jokes.

saucysoonergal
3/28/2011, 09:37 AM
Feed all the cows in the world beans, when they pass gas simultaneously, light a match.

That or tell STEP to leave the bathroom door open.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 09:40 AM
YSSRA

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/28/2011, 09:41 AM
Anything blasted from in the interior of the Earth is impossible due to the molten core. Meaning the ordinance wouldn't survive the trip unless packaged in some heat proof container.

I feel kinda messed up for even talking about this

Mjcpr
I would say envoke a natural disaster resulting in large amounts of radiation leaks.

C&CDean
Less Star Wars and more Bible for you JM. Weirdo.

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 09:43 AM
I don't know if we have the technology to destroy the earth in one instant. Going Dr. Evil style with a drill filled with nukes seems the most realistic way.

OhU1
3/28/2011, 09:45 AM
Earth could not be destroyed short of a planet sized impact (larger than Mars because that already happened and was how the moon was formed) or if the sun were to expand past our orbit. Of course the bible talks about stars falling out of the sky to Earth but I don't seeing that happening.

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 09:47 AM
I would say envoke a natural disaster resulting in large amounts of radiation leaks.

Don't put the nukes in the middle if the earth, put them on every major fault line causing worldwide earthquake/tsunami....Great idea.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 09:47 AM
if they would legalize weed, this would be a lot easier for us to figure out

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/28/2011, 09:49 AM
if they would legalize weed, this would be a lot easier for us to figure out

hippy ;)

OULenexaman
3/28/2011, 09:53 AM
I'm thinkin shrimp tacos from taco bell for lunch today...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 09:55 AM
I'm thinkin shrimp tacos from taco bell for lunch today...

I had an omelet from IHOP about 1130 the other night and when I dropped it out, it had the odor of easter egg dye and baby poop

OULenexaman
3/28/2011, 09:58 AM
hey....that's what makes the earth a better place.

saucysoonergal
3/28/2011, 09:59 AM
hey....that's what makes the earth a better place.

Unless you are near said restroom. ;)

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2011, 10:01 AM
Disable all spek features on the soonerfans.com forums

Jacie
3/28/2011, 10:07 AM
Yes, there is some confusion between destroying the Earth versus making the surface or large parts of it unihabitable to if not all life, us (there are types of life that thrive in boiling-hot springs and underneath miles of ice, at the bottom of the ocean and you get the idea but plenty of places where we can't survive).

As far as the latter, all we have to do is continue what we are doing.

Now to destroy an entire planet, well the Sun thing has been mentioned and that will occur. If you can manage to be alive in a couple of billion years you (and everything else on the planet) will have a front row seat to experience what it will be like to be inside the envelope of an expanding star.

Also mentioned was the colliding planetary-sized body with the Earth, which as mentioned, happened a long time ago. So to destroy the Earth, we need a bigger collider (smaller ones just make the surface unihabitable as previously discussed).

In a similar vein, if a rogue star or black hole passed close enough to the Earth, it could be torn apart by gravitational forces.

The explosives-in-the-core thing won't work since we don't have enough and we could not get them to the core and couldn't keep them intact to detonate if we did due to the extreme heat (would be a helluva an achievement in itself if we could even drill through the mantle, let alone reach the core).

Aliens could do it. We have seen it done in books and movies: Douglas Adam's The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy when the Vogons destroyed the Earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass and Star Wars when the Death Star destroyed Aldabaran. These appeared to be beam/energy weapons. They'd have to be very powerful ones to cause an entire planet to explode. If an alien race had access to that sort of power, why would they bother exploding planets with it?

Then there is the antimatter card. Won't be easy coming up with that much, assuming it will take some quantity beyond our ability to generate (which goes back to enormous amount of power thing, why bother?).

What else?

sappstuf
3/28/2011, 10:08 AM
Have all the Chinese jump at the same time thus knocking up out of orbit and into the sun...

I saw this on Weekly World News once.

Chuck Bao
3/28/2011, 10:10 AM
A nearby star in our galaxy that went supernova would do the trick quite effeciently. It wouldn't destroy the earth but make it uninhabitable.

3rdgensooner
3/28/2011, 10:13 AM
Paint it burnt orange

Tulsa_Fireman
3/28/2011, 10:13 AM
Voting democrat.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2011, 10:15 AM
I hate every last one of you.

OULenexaman
3/28/2011, 10:22 AM
that's OK...you might not be wired right.

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2011, 10:24 AM
I hate every last one of you.

Okay...

somehow alter the moon's orbit so that it crashes into the earth in a massively apocalyptical armageddon-like, mess. Thing.

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 10:31 AM
Okay...

somehow alter the moon's orbit so that it crashes into the earth in a massively apocalyptical armageddon-like, mess. Thing.

I think a hunk of rock would still exist in earth's spot. Does that count as destruction?

Veritas
3/28/2011, 10:40 AM
Greenlight "Armageddon 2"

Tulsa_Fireman
3/28/2011, 10:44 AM
Make JohnnyMack have heterosexual intercourse.

SCOUT
3/28/2011, 10:45 AM
All we have to do is ask Charlie Sheen to do it. Either him or Chuck Norris.

NormanPride
3/28/2011, 10:47 AM
Easy. The first step is getting tons of ordnance to the moon. I mean enough to make Krakatoa look like a pop gun. The next step is to fire that stuff off all at once and send the moon careening into the earth. That alone would not be enough to destroy the planet, though it would do considerable damage. But what it would do, is alter our orbit enough to eventually deposit us neatly into the sun.

Problem solved.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 10:49 AM
i don't really need info on destroying the earth, i want info on drilling into uranus..srsly pm me, johnny mack.

Veritas
3/28/2011, 10:49 AM
You guys realize that you don't have to make the moon hit the earth, right? All you have to do is move it enough to get it off of the precise gravitationally defined track and we're ****ed.

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 10:59 AM
You guys realize that you don't have to make the moon hit the earth, right? All you have to do is move it enough to get it off of the precise gravitationally defined track and we're ****ed.

We're more into instant results around here...

soonerboomer93
3/28/2011, 11:03 AM
Mega Maid

NormanPride
3/28/2011, 11:04 AM
My plan isn't just to get the moon to hit the earth. That's pretty simple and really wouldn't be enough to actually destroy the planet, right? I want to use it as a cue ball to knock the earth into the corner pocket that is the sun.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/28/2011, 11:06 AM
KILL WHITEY

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2011, 11:17 AM
I think Jerry Jones built something in Arlington for this very purpose.

It's called a Death Star, I believe.

Oldnslo
3/28/2011, 11:18 AM
Can I get an operational definition of "destroy"? Do you mean "blow to bits" or "make uninhabitable"?

and if it's the explosion one, do you mean explode it so much that gravity won't put it back together?

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2011, 11:18 AM
Ike knows exactly how to do it. But, it would be irresponsible to post on the internet.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2011, 11:22 AM
Can I get an operational definition of "destroy"? Do you mean "blow to bits" or "make uninhabitable"?

and if it's the explosion one, do you mean explode it so much that gravity won't put it back together?

Blow to bits. Smithereens. Alderaan that ****er.

Oldnslo
3/28/2011, 11:24 AM
I guess the next question is whether all of the warheads, if still in top-notch condition, would be enough to do the jorb.

I don't think so. Personally, I think we humans tend to overestimate our abilities. Earth is a big place.

yermom
3/28/2011, 11:41 AM
i don't think the sun has enough mass to quite get the job done. it would probably be really hot here for a while though.

i think it's gonna take a black hole, like the one allegedly at the middle of the galaxy. i'm not even sure if we are heading toward or away from that one at this point

Veritas
3/28/2011, 11:44 AM
My plan isn't just to get the moon to hit the earth. That's pretty simple and really wouldn't be enough to actually destroy the planet, right? I want to use it as a cue ball to knock the earth into the corner pocket that is the sun.
Dude...the balance of the solar system is pretty precarious. Once the moon goes, it's a domino effect. I've seen like all of the episodes of The Universe, therefore I consider myself the Alex Fillipenko of the SO.

Fraggle145
3/28/2011, 11:50 AM
I don't mean destroying it in the hippie, "Oh god there's plastic in this turtle's belly" way.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

yermom
3/28/2011, 11:51 AM
it would take a lot of energy to move the moon, to move the earth

i'm thinking it would still take a long time to get the orbit to shrink. the earth and the moon are already the same mass orbiting the sun now, aren't they?

Tulsa_Fireman
3/28/2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.cosmicdiary.org/blogs/nasa/amy_mainzer/img/aboutme.jpg

OhU1
3/28/2011, 12:01 PM
http://www.cosmicdiary.org/blogs/nasa/amy_mainzer/img/aboutme.jpg

Oh yeah, I like the Cal-Tech astrophysics babe. :P

OUTrumpet
3/28/2011, 12:12 PM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Professor_Chaos.jpg

I would obviously flood the world with a garden hose!

Man, why won't my picture work?

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2011, 12:19 PM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Professor_Chaos.jpg

I would obviously flood the world with a garden hose!

Man, why won't my picture work?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Professor_Chaos.jpg

MR2-Sooner86
3/28/2011, 12:27 PM
Putting thousands of hydrogen bombs at every single fault line in strategic locations and detonating them at once.

Nothing small either, we're talking the Tsar Bomb.

That much energy being released several hundred feet under the ground near a fault, who knows. It might do nothing but it could drastically shift all the faults and plates at once causing major problems.

soonerchk
3/28/2011, 12:38 PM
Outsource it to India

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 12:56 PM
Pathetic, tiny, miniscule little human minds/bodies are not capable of destroying this Earth. I've been trying to tell all you Algorites this for years.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2011, 01:06 PM
Easy. The first step is getting tons of ordnance to the moon. I mean enough to make Krakatoa look like a pop gun. The next step is to fire that stuff off all at once and send the moon careening into the earth. That alone would not be enough to destroy the planet, though it would do considerable damage. But what it would do, is alter our orbit enough to eventually deposit us neatly into the sun.

Problem solved.

You don't know that it'd hurtle the earth towards the sun. It could send it a different direction. Your plan is poop.

NormanPride
3/28/2011, 01:16 PM
You don't know that it'd hurtle the earth towards the sun. It could send it a different direction. Your plan is poop.
Not if the button was pressed by this woman:

http://www.cuesportgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jeannette_lee_23-199x300.jpg

I bet she'd take care of us just fine.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2011, 02:30 PM
http://qntm.org/destroy

This site is awesome!!!

jumperstop
3/28/2011, 03:00 PM

This site is awesome!!!

At least we not the only crazy asses thinking about this.

stoopified
3/28/2011, 04:41 PM
Activate the Omega Bomb(from Planet of the Apes).

KantoSooner
3/28/2011, 04:55 PM
Step 1. Put the earth in a burnt orange jersey

Step 2. Give the earth a football

Step 3. Unleash Ronnell Lewis.

QED

49r
3/28/2011, 04:58 PM
The moon's orbit around the planet Earth is expanding slightly all the time. Eventually, the moon will slip out of orbit with Earth and we will no longer have our lunar companion.

The moon revolves around the Earth in about one month (27 days 8 hours). It rotates around its own axis in the same amount of time. The same side of the moon always faces the Earth; it is in a synchronous rotation with the Earth.

The Moon's orbit is expanding over time as it slows down (the Earth is also slowing down as it loses energy). For example, a billion years ago, the Moon was much closer to the Earth (roughly 200,000 kilometers) and took only 20 days to orbit the Earth. Also, one Earth 'day' was about 18 hours long (instead of our 24 hour day). The tides on Earth were also much stronger since the moon was closer to the Earth.

Conversely, if there was a way (there isn't) to make the moon orbit closer and closer to Earth until it eventually collided, there wouldn't be really a destruction per se. The two objects would merge in a kind of molten mass, sure it would eradicate all life on Earth, but Earth would still exist.

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2011, 05:13 PM
Luckily, I have Mal Reynolds phone number.

You know, just in case somebody succeeds in destroying the Earth.

MamaMia
3/28/2011, 06:07 PM

I don't even mean a nuclear holocaust.

I mean, how could man physically destroy a planet?*

Create enough antimatter that it accidentally swallows the planet?

Could we go Armageddon style and deep core drill down and pack in enough nukes to cause the planet to explode?

How do we get this done?

*Save your lame Death Star jokes.There are people at the Pentagon reading every word you type. :pop:

tator
3/28/2011, 08:00 PM
There are people at the Pentagon reading every word you type. :pop:

This site is awesome!!!
Especially now

Ike
3/28/2011, 10:07 PM
To destroy the earf? I'd just wait.

cccasooner2
3/29/2011, 10:00 AM
My plan is in action now and will be completed on December 21, 2012.

:gary: