PDA

View Full Version : OSSAA Officiating

Ardmore_Sooner
3/27/2011, 08:32 PM
Has anyone ever officiated in any OSSAA sporting events? I was interested in getting started and just didn't know what steps I need to take.

TIA.

CowboyMRW
3/27/2011, 09:46 PM
I did high school football the past year. All I did was send in my money and they gave me the test which I took and passed and I got picked up quickly on a crew. You can join a local association and they will assign crews if you're having trouble finding one.

Collier11
3/27/2011, 09:48 PM
pass a BS test and pay your money, thats it...hopefully your ego isnt as big as most HS refs :)

picasso
3/27/2011, 11:09 PM
I thought about it years ago but then decided Friday nights would be better served chasing poon.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 08:20 AM
very easy to get picked up by a crew

Ardmore_Sooner
3/28/2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2011, 08:25 AM
Has anyone ever officiated in any OSSAA sporting events? I was interested in getting started and just didn't know what steps I need to take.

TIA.

1) Get some oversized bifocals with turtleshell frames
2) Start pounding the doughnuts NOW, so you'll be in proper shape come football season
3) $Profit

Ardmore_Sooner
3/28/2011, 08:27 AM
Will powdered and/or chocolate donettes do?

Partial Qualifier
3/28/2011, 08:28 AM
Absolutely!

While you're at it, can I get a sleeve of those chocolate-covered oneses?

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/28/2011, 08:34 AM
http://strongmercy.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/thick-glasses.jpg

Sooner_Bob
3/28/2011, 08:42 AM
When I was in college I took a night class that would've qualified me to ref HS basketball. I needed the credit more than the actual referee job though so I didn't bother. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
I will tell you ref'n high school sports is like modding a message board..its a poopy gig and the only time you'll hear how you are doing is when you mess it up

SoonerBorn68
Just don't be a homer. Way too many alumni officiating the home teams.

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2011, 08:52 AM
I thought about it years ago but then decided Friday nights would be better served chasing poon.
For a while, you'd probably just be doing JV, and Junior High games.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 08:55 AM
I ran the chains for a few years at Lexington home games. The $$ went for the basketball team. One thing I learned - well didn't learn, but got reinforced every Friday night. About 80% of the kids are respectful, courteous, and display good sportsmanship. About 10% pout, throw their helmets down, cry like little bitches, etc. About 10% need their narrow little asses kicked, then kicked off the team.

Another thing I found out. There's a whole lot of coaches who take this **** way too seriously. I posted on here several years ago about when I wrote to the Oklahoma High School Athletic folks to complain about this particular coach. Dude was raised in Noble (I think) and coaches/coached (don't know if they're still letting this psycho coach anymore) in Alva. Alva vs. Lex in the playoffs. Coach literally dog-cussed/browbeat/berated/insulted his players after every single play. "C'mere you stupid SOB!! You don't wanna win, you're a loser!! Get the **** outta my face you POS loser!!" Ad nauseum.

After the game (Lex won) I was raising hell about this coach to the ref, and several of the Alva parents came up and said "we are so glad we lost this game. That coach is completely out of control. Our kids don't even want to play football anymore because of him. We're so sorry, he embarrasses us at every game."

Anyhow, if you get into it, good luck.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/28/2011, 10:43 AM
True story.

I used to coach football down in Alva. Beautiful town and I loved it tons more than Noble, the town I was born and raised in. I had a great group of kids and an administration that was supportive and facilitating. However, my kids lacked that fire in their belly, that singular drive that comes from uniting against a common enemy. That esprit de corps that comes from the brotherhood of communal strife. So to foster that, my coaching staff and I consulted with a consortium of psychologists with the University of Oklahoma and between my staff, the university, and the administration, came up with a plan to where I would assume the role of "bad cop". I would be the negative influence everyone would hate (at the risk of my personal reputation) which was antithesis to the love I had for my boys. But it was worth it to sacrifice myself so that the boys could grow into not only a team, but better men that could conquer adversity together.

I would say things like, "You don't want to win, you're a loser!" and, "Come here you stupid [censored]." The boys took to the program as expected, finding comraderie amongst one another, defining leadership roles within their group, and looking to each position coach as an island of positive reinforcement. And with that, each position refined its learning tack and excelled with the instruction as they bonded from the positive reinforcement with my staff.

It was hard on myself and my family and many parents didn't understand what was happening, the hard work and study involved in developing the plan, and the sacrifice made to ensure the boys would receive appropriate emotional development. So much so that at one game versus Lexington, a bald man assisting with the chains incited a riot when he gathered a number of parents and began petitioning the referees for I don't know what. He was amazingly upset and was whipping the parents of my wonderful boys into a fevered pitch. I was sad and cried that night as yet another person didn't get a chance to see how much we all had sacrificed as a team and a staff for no other reason than to help the boys grow up to be strong young men.

I still cry to this day when I think about it.

OUmillenium
3/28/2011, 10:44 AM
1. You have to take an IQ test
2. If your IQ is under 80...you are in, just pick a sport

CowboyMRW
3/28/2011, 11:10 AM

You can get quite a few games up to 2A your first year. 8 man to 2A is all you will probably get though.

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2011, 11:12 AM
You can get quite a few games up to 2A your first year. 8 man to 2A is all you will probably get though.
But, if you don't want to give up Friday's, you can stay pretty busy Mon, Tue, and Thurs.

Jammin'
3/28/2011, 11:27 AM
As someone who worked with the OSSAA for many years, if you want to make the most money for the hour worked, officiate: 1. Wrestling and 2. Volleyball. Both pay well above the other sports for your time spent actually working and the crowds are smaller. (meaning not as much crap will come your way but when it does, everyone will hear it.)

On Edit: Plus, wrestling and vball are indoor sports and in vball you just stand on the ref stand, no moving at all. Eat those donuts!!

Collier11
3/28/2011, 11:44 AM
True story.

I used to coach football down in Alva.

How long ago did you coach in Alva?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.thewheelfx.com/lane/GIFS/1111__NEW/DudeShakinHisHead.gif

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 11:51 AM

What STEP said. Sheez. Moran.

SoonerJack
3/28/2011, 01:32 PM
As someone who worked with the OSSAA for many years, if you want to make the most money for the hour worked, officiate: 1. Wrestling and 2. Volleyball. Both pay well above the other sports for your time spent actually working and the crowds are smaller. (meaning not as much crap will come your way but when it does, everyone will hear it.)

On Edit: Plus, wrestling and vball are indoor sports and in vball you just stand on the ref stand, no moving at all. Eat those donuts!!

vball uniforms ftw

Fraggle145
3/28/2011, 02:04 PM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

Collier11
3/28/2011, 02:24 PM
Give me a break here, I only read the 1st line...if any of you fuggers write more than 1 or 2 lines I just move past it :D

Jammin'
3/28/2011, 02:37 PM
vball uniforms ftw

This. And if you're gay: wrestling singlets ftw.

CowboyMRW
3/28/2011, 02:39 PM
But, if you don't want to give up Friday's, you can stay pretty busy Mon, Tue, and Thurs.

True true. I got a lot of good bar money this year from reffing football. Plus when all you have to do is be the back judge, it's pretty easy

Collier11
3/28/2011, 03:01 PM
You did tell me I have a pretty nice ***

CowboyMRW
3/28/2011, 03:03 PM
Also let's not make fun of wrestling. You know us Pokes gotta have something to hang our hats on ;)

Ardmore_Sooner
3/28/2011, 04:06 PM
How much does it pay for different sports?

Jammin'
3/28/2011, 04:52 PM
If I remember right wrestling paid $125 per team match.

Vball I believe was $45 per varsity match (about an hour to an hour and a half)

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 05:28 PM
If I remember right wrestling paid $125 per team match.

Vball I believe was $45 per varsity match (about an hour to an hour and a half)

$45 an hour to watch amazon chickies jump around in hot pants? Too bad you can't find a gig like that for 40-hours, 52-weeks a year, huh?

picasso
3/28/2011, 11:36 PM

Not in Turley.

oudavid1
3/29/2011, 12:32 AM
I am applying to be a high school football official this fall. I told em I was 18 and they said it was fine. I'm really excited. even jv or freshman gigs would be fun. And since I opted not to do game film for UCO I can do it on Friday nights and
hopefully mondays as well. Btw I opted out because they can only pay me for 20 hours and I don't want to miss all that class and spend my weekends in California and Alabama. 33 hour bus rides.....no thanks. Not for that chump change.

OUmillenium
3/29/2011, 08:36 AM
Ok, I have been razzing OSSAA officials IQ, now for a serious note...

Immediately after the Jenks v. Muskogee baseball game ended last night, the homeplate umpire came forward a few steps across homeplate and collapsed facedown. Medical personell immediately attended to him. He was breathing but unconscious when taken from the field to St. Francis hospital by EMSA. He is 28 years old. He umpired our tournament games over the weekend and has a wonderful attitude while on the field. Please pray for him and his family. I have no further information at this time. Still waiting an update on his condition.

OUmillenium
3/29/2011, 09:14 AM
Update, the official is recovering well at this time.

CowboyMRW
3/29/2011, 12:10 PM
Update, the official is recovering well at this time.

The guy is recovering? That's good to hear. My buddy said that he passed away last night

OUmillenium
3/29/2011, 12:29 PM
pmd ya cowboy

oudavid1
3/29/2011, 05:52 PM
Thank God. Wow this thread took a turn.

THE-JROD
3/29/2011, 06:52 PM
True story.

I used to coach football down in Alva. Beautiful town and I loved it tons more than Noble, the town I was born and raised in. I had a great group of kids and an administration that was supportive and facilitating. However, my kids lacked that fire in their belly, that singular drive that comes from uniting against a common enemy. That esprit de corps that comes from the brotherhood of communal strife. So to foster that, my coaching staff and I consulted with a consortium of psychologists with the University of Oklahoma and between my staff, the university, and the administration, came up with a plan to where I would assume the role of "bad cop". I would be the negative influence everyone would hate (at the risk of my personal reputation) which was antithesis to the love I had for my boys. But it was worth it to sacrifice myself so that the boys could grow into not only a team, but better men that could conquer adversity together.

I would say things like, "You don't want to win, you're a loser!" and, "Come here you stupid [censored]." The boys took to the program as expected, finding comraderie amongst one another, defining leadership roles within their group, and looking to each position coach as an island of positive reinforcement. And with that, each position refined its learning tack and excelled with the instruction as they bonded from the positive reinforcement with my staff.

It was hard on myself and my family and many parents didn't understand what was happening, the hard work and study involved in developing the plan, and the sacrifice made to ensure the boys would receive appropriate emotional development. So much so that at one game versus Lexington, a bald man assisting with the chains incited a riot when he gathered a number of parents and began petitioning the referees for I don't know what. He was amazingly upset and was whipping the parents of my wonderful boys into a fevered pitch. I was sad and cried that night as yet another person didn't get a chance to see how much we all had sacrificed as a team and a staff for no other reason than to help the boys grow up to be strong young men.

I still cry to this day when I think about it.

What years you coach in Alva???

Ardmore_Sooner
3/29/2011, 09:07 PM
Any word on the umpire?

Tulsa_Fireman
3/29/2011, 10:06 PM
What years you coach in Alva???

http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facepalm.jpg

OUmillenium
3/30/2011, 09:15 AM
Any word on the umpire?

Conscious and recovering. Getting moved out of ICU.