PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones Out 8-10 weeks

colleyvillesooner
3/26/2011, 03:21 PM
Seeing it going around on Twitter (no I'm not going to post a pic)

Speculation is ruptured patella tendon and had surgery this morning. That is obviously unconfirmed, just what I'm seeing.

JLEW1818
3/26/2011, 03:25 PM
POST A PIC NAKED!!!!

Sucks... At least it's the offseason.

oudavid1
3/26/2011, 03:44 PM
Per Jake Trotter

http://i56.tinypic.com/2hgxzb9.jpg

Williams eh?

I wanted to see Josh Aladanoye
I mean isnt he next in line?

http://i51.tinypic.com/258rz1g.jpg

BoulderSooner79
3/26/2011, 03:56 PM
Ruptured patella is a full year injury.

101sooner
3/26/2011, 04:10 PM

That's what I thought.

Quik Sand
3/26/2011, 04:11 PM
:(

jersey sooner
3/26/2011, 04:13 PM
WTF

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2011, 05:26 PM
I like OUDavid. A lot of lesser people who would have caved in to the incessant demand to quit posting tweet pics, but ole OUDavid just continues to serve up healthy doses of "Kiss My ***."

agoo758
3/26/2011, 05:33 PM
I like OUDavid. A lot of lesser people who would have caved in to the incessant demand to quit posting tweet pics, but ole OUDavid just continues to serve up healthy doses of "Kiss My ***."

I guess I can give him that much.

Quik Sand
3/26/2011, 05:35 PM
I like OUDavid. A lot of lesser people who would have caved in to the incessant demand to quit posting tweet pics, but ole OUDavid just continues to serve up healthy doses of "Kiss My ***."ha :gary:

swardboy
3/26/2011, 05:48 PM
Craptastic. I hate the old shuffling linemen routine.

OK2U
3/26/2011, 06:05 PM
Jake Trotter is reporting he'll be out 6 months.
not good

oudavid1
3/26/2011, 06:12 PM
Jake Trotter is reporting he'll be out 6 months.
not good

Saw that too. Very sad.
From what ive heard he has already gotten surgery and they (as normal) really taking care of him.
Maybe he will medical redshirt being a senior and all that.

jersey sooner
3/26/2011, 06:40 PM
Does anyone know if he actually was the likely starter, or was that just more craziness from the spring 2 deep?

NorCal Sooner
3/26/2011, 06:58 PM

8-10 weeks not a chance, even 6 months is optimistic. I agree with you, he's out for the year. Patella is no joke

Mazeppa
3/26/2011, 07:18 PM

He'll grow out of that when he becomes a teenager!

ratherthanlater
3/26/2011, 07:35 PM
Well the silver lining is that our likely starting LT for next year, Williams, will get some valuable experience even if it is on the other side of the line.

oudavid1
3/26/2011, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know if he actually was the likely starter, or was that just more craziness from the spring 2 deep?

Yes. At least in my opinion. All of last year he got in for Donald(LT) when he got tired or whatever. He was definitely the number 3 tackle all last year. He could go right and left which ofcourse is really valuable.

He'll grow out of that when he becomes a teenager!

:D very nice

Well the silver lining is that our likely starting LT for next year, Williams, will get some valuable experience even if it is on the other side of the line.

I think Williams can play either, especially in our system. But i really dont see why everyone is just ignoring Alanenoye. I really wanted Aladenoye to start and it looks like ill get my wish (though i didnt want anything bad to happen to JJ).

sooned
3/26/2011, 09:03 PM
can JJ get a medical redshirt?

gaylordfan1
3/26/2011, 09:04 PM
The best player will start, so I'm not too worried.

gaylordfan1
3/26/2011, 09:04 PM

I don't see why not.

JLEW1818
3/26/2011, 09:10 PM

"the best player will play...... color doesn't matter.."

cccasooner2
3/26/2011, 09:12 PM

He did shorten his sig though. :)

Soonerfan88
3/26/2011, 09:16 PM
You have to lose significant portions of 2 years to qualify for medical hardship. The only thing that can be called medical redshirt is if you get hurt very early in the season, within first 2 games I think, and have your redshirt year still available to use for recovery. Since Jones used his redshirt year sitting out his transfer, this is his last season and hopefully he gets back on the field for at least some of it.

oudavid1
3/26/2011, 09:24 PM

Yessir.

I don't see why not.

Agreed

"the best player will play...... color doesn't matter.."

"I dont care if your black, blue, green, white, or orange"

He did shorten his sig though. :)

Courtesy :D

You have to lose significant portions of 2 years to qualify for medical hardship. The only thing that can be called medical redshirt is if you get hurt very early in the season, within first 2 games I think, and have your redshirt year still available to use for recovery. Since Jones used his redshirt year sitting out his transfer, this is his last season and hopefully he gets back on the field for at least some of it.

I believe you are mistaken. He should definitely qualify for medical redshirt. Its up to him and the team if it all happens. Which it probably will.

http://www.techsideline.com/football/medicalredshirt.html

JLEW1818
3/26/2011, 09:33 PM
The Sooners could be without Jarvis Jones for the first half of next season after the starting right tackle tore a tendon in his right patella during Friday’s practice.

Jones had surgery Saturday.

“We were in a team period and it just buckled on him,” coach Bob Stoops said.

Jones is expected to be out six months, meaning the Sooners might not get him back until October.

Jones, who has 10 career starts, was projected to replace Eric Mensik and be OU’s full-time starting right bookend after splitting time with Donald Stephenson at left tackle last season.

With Jones out, the Sooners will likely turn to freshman Daryl Williams and sophomore Josh Aladenoye to fill the void.

Williams redshirted last season, while Aladenoye appeared in 12 games as a reserve.

http://www.newsok.com/ou-offensive-tackle-jarvis-jones-suffers-knee-injury/article/3552209?custom_click=lead_story_title

jersey sooner
3/26/2011, 10:02 PM

What if the best player has a ruptured patella tendon and will be out 6 months?

toast
3/26/2011, 10:09 PM
bummer to hear, hope he makes a quick recovery...at least the team has some time to prepare and make adjustments before the season starts.

Soonerfan88
3/26/2011, 10:10 PM
David, I will concede there is technically no such thing as a medical redshirt. However, the link you provided describes exactly what I called a medical redshirt in my post. NCAA bylaw 14.2 discusses the five-year rule, allowing only 4 years of competition within those five years. 14.2.4 authorizes the medical hardship rules, granting those who get injured early in the year an additional year of on-field competition. The 5 year rule waiver (6th year rule), like Jason White received, is covered under 30.6.1 and "may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student athlete or the institution, which deprive the student athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period."

Jones' NCAA five year clock started at LSU the 2007 season and will run out after the end of the 2011 season. He cannot use a medical redshirt or hardship or whatever you want to call it unless he could show that he missed a significant portion of 2 seasons to injury - which he can't.

toast
3/26/2011, 10:12 PM
David, I will concede there is technically no such thing as a medical redshirt. However, the link you provided describes exactly what I called a medical redshirt in my post. NCAA bylaw 14.2 discusses the five-year rule, allowing only 4 years of competition within those five years. 14.2.4 authorizes the medical hardship rules, granting those who get injured early in the year an additional year of on-field competition. The 5 year rule waiver (6th year rule), like Jason White received, is covered under 30.6.1 and "may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student athlete or the institution, which deprive the student athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period."

Jones' NCAA five year clock started at LSU the 2007 season and will run out after the end of the 2011 season. He cannot use a medical redshirt or hardship or whatever you want to call it unless he could show that he missed a significant portion of 2 seasons to injury - which he can't.

maybe he could prove that listening to Les every day made his ears bleed

oudavid1
3/26/2011, 10:16 PM

Well that sucks for JJ.

IronHorseSooner
3/27/2011, 10:39 AM
IIRC, Darryl Williams was supposed to coveted by a number of teams coming out of HS, he was just spotted really late in the recruiting process. Williams and Alandoye are similar in size, but a little different in strengths. Williams is known for his footwork and athleticism; Alandoye is more of a power blocker. There is a good chance that we will see some sort of rotation there, anyway, until Jones could return. One guy who hasn't been mentioned is Stephen Good. Yes, I know he has played guard, and he likely won't beat out Ikard at LG, but here's a chance for him to possibly move to tackle. He is a senior and more of a "utility lineman." I don't know if the coaches will do it, but it might be worth a shot.

Soonerjeepman
3/27/2011, 11:11 AM
paper said October would be earliest...

gives RS Fresh a chance to shine...

Jones’ loss is an opportunity for Josh Aladenoye to move into the starting right tackle position. The 6-5, 316-pounder, who played sparingly last season as a redshirt freshman, is listed behind Jones on the depth chart..

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110326_92_0_NORMAN501540

IronHorseSooner
3/27/2011, 11:24 AM
They mention Millard in that article, but he is doing non-contact running drills. For him, that might be good, since he pretty much has his blocking down, and the staff wants to establish a power running game next year. As for Rats, yes, it does stink that he will be out for spring drills, but it does give Haywood some more snaps, and whereas he has down his receiving game, I know that staff wants him to improve his blocking.

Again, as for JJ, it does stink, but, like I said before, it is not as if we weren't going to have to replace that starting position anyway, and we do have guys who have played. Heck, even though I mentioned Stephen Good above, Bronson Irwin is another big boy who could get reps out there. Whoever is out there at RT, they will need to grow up fast, as even if JJ is out until OCT, we will have FSU, Mizzou, and UTerus in that time frame. You can bet the house that the opposing staff will come after that young man.

sperry
3/27/2011, 12:38 PM

SoonerOX
3/27/2011, 03:23 PM
Sucks for JJ. Good luck kid.

cleller
3/28/2011, 08:37 AM

OUDavid is the Chuck Norris of Twitter.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 08:40 AM
Good luck to him..But I'm not too concerned with a Jarvis Jones injury..

JLEW1818
3/28/2011, 09:06 AM
STEP i thought JJ was your favorite Tailback??

he is a tailback right?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2011, 09:09 AM
My favorite runningback is steve slaton