PDA

View Full Version : OK not Tornado Ground Zero in 2010

soonercruiser
3/26/2011, 02:01 PM
Make a club trip/tour of the Nat Weather Center yesterday.
Took some cool pics, including this one showing OK was not nearly ground zero for tornados in 2010.

http://members.cox.net/franklipsinic/Other/2010%20Tornado%20Watches%20low.JPG

SoonerStormchaser
3/26/2011, 02:52 PM
Dude...cause most of the activity is ALWAYS in the deep south til April, when the activity starts to kick off around here.

yermom
3/26/2011, 03:05 PM
yeah, but that building was in May :D

jumperstop
3/26/2011, 04:20 PM
I would like to see the one for tornado warnings. Something like 80% of the world's tornados occur in the US, of that the majority occur in OK, at least historically.

Lott's Bandana
3/26/2011, 04:23 PM
I would like to see the one for tornado warnings. Something like 80% of the world's tornados occur in the US, of that the majority occur in OK, at least historically.

Numerically, that goes to Texas.

However, number of tornadoes relative to state size, no question.

I was gonna say per capita...and I think that would work, but I don't know the term that parallels per capita but involves geography instead of population. :O

oudavid1
3/26/2011, 06:22 PM
Tornado alley has shifted east. I want it to come back.....NOW!!!

SoonerStormchaser
3/26/2011, 08:59 PM
Tornado alley has shifted east. I want it to come back.....NOW!!!

So you can post tweets when the tornadoes announce where they're headed?

C&CDean
3/26/2011, 08:59 PM
holy. ****. Cruiser started a thread that didn't start out with "demoncrats/obummer/libtards/foaming at the mouth faux outrage over something some leftista did.

Congrats cruiser. Nice job. See? It ain't hard, and it feels pretty dang good too, huh? Seriously.

oudavid1
3/26/2011, 09:19 PM
So you can post tweets when the tornadoes announce where they're headed?

lol no, i chase tornadoes! Or at least try.

soonercruiser
3/27/2011, 12:48 PM
Dude...cause most of the activity is ALWAYS in the deep south til April, when the activity starts to kick off around here.

Duh, Chaser!
The map is for the whole year - LAST YEAR - 2010!
(Not just the beginning of this year!)
:rolleyes:

soonercruiser
3/27/2011, 12:51 PM
holy. ****. Cruiser started a thread that didn't start out with "demoncrats/obummer/libtards/foaming at the mouth faux outrage over something some leftista did.

Congrats cruiser. Nice job. See? It ain't hard, and it feels pretty dang good too, huh? Seriously.

Somebody hasn't been watching very closely!!!!
:rolleyes:

swardboy
3/27/2011, 03:42 PM
So it's safe to come out?

ouduckhunter
3/27/2011, 04:20 PM
I demand a recount!! This is not right!!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/28/2011, 09:07 AM
Tornado Alley shifts depending on the part of the year. In June/July, it will be in the Dakotas, Minnesota, and Iowa.

Mississippi Sooner
3/28/2011, 09:40 AM
My own observation, after living here in Mississippi for 15 years, is that even though the number of tornadoes has increased in that time, the ones we have aren't as big or as strong as those in Tornado Alley. Yeah, if one makes a direct hit on your house it still sucks, but tornado warnings just don't get my attention here like they did in Oklahoma. On the other hand, the retards who run the schools here don't hesitate to turn out school the moment a warning is issued, but that's a rant that I go off on too often.

One big difference down here, though, is the almost complete non-existence of storm shelters. Because of the high water table here, cellars just aren't an option in most places. If you see a twister coming at you, you just gotta take cover as best you can. Maybe you can do like Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt did in Twister and lash yourselves to a gas pipe with a leather belt? Yeah, that's the ticket.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/28/2011, 11:10 AM
Minnesota got hit particularly hard last year... all time (state of MN) record, I think. And I believe MN recorded its first official F4 in 2010 as well.

And followed that up with 5th snowiest winter on record back to the 1800s.

Ugh. Why do I live here again?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/28/2011, 06:46 PM
lol no, i chase tornadoes! Or at least try.

This will get you killed. I have chased many a storm. I knew what I was doing when all we had were the morning progs and a pay phone to call someone at NSSL.