PDA

View Full Version : Earth Day

I Am Right
3/25/2011, 08:33 PM
In 2009 I was asked by a journalist for my thoughts on the importance of Earth Hour. Here is my response. I abhor Earth Hour. Abundant, cheap electricity has been the greatest source of human liberation in the 20th century. Every material social advance in the 20th century depended on the proliferation of inexpensive and reliable electricity. Giving women the freedom to work outside the home depended on the availability of electrical appliances that free up time from domestic chores. Getting children out of menial labour and into schools depended on the same thing, as well as the ability to provide safe indoor lighting for reading.

"Development and provision of modern health care without electricity is absolutely impossible. The expansion of our food supply, and the promotion of hygiene and nutrition, depended on being able to irrigate fields, cook and refrigerate foods, and have a steady indoor supply of hot water. Many of the world’s poor suffer brutal environmental conditions in their own homes because of the necessity of cooking over indoor fires that burn twigs and dung. This causes local deforestation and the proliferation of smoke- and parasite-related lung diseases. Anyone who wants to see local conditions improve in the third world should realize the importance of access to cheap electricity from fossil-fuel based power generating stations. After all, that’s how the west developed.

"The whole mentality around Earth Hour demonizes electricity. I cannot do that, instead I celebrate it and all that it has provided for humanity. Earth Hour celebrates ignorance, poverty and backwardness. By repudiating the greatest engine of liberation it becomes an hour devoted to anti-humanism. It encourages the sanctimonious gesture of turning off trivial appliances for a trivial amount of time, in deference to some ill-defined abstraction called 'the Earth,' all the while hypocritically retaining the real benefits of continuous, reliable electricity. People who see virtue in doing without electricity should shut off their fridge, stove, microwave, computer, water heater, lights, TV and all other appliances for a month, not an hour. And pop down to the cardiac unit at the hospital and shut the power off there too. I don’t want to go back to nature. Travel to a zone hit by earthquakes, floods and hurricanes to see what it’s like to go back to nature. For humans, living in 'nature' meant a short life span marked by violence, disease and ignorance. People who work for the end of poverty and relief from disease are fighting against nature. I hope they leave their lights on.

"Here in Ontario, through the use of pollution control technology and advanced engineering, our air quality has dramatically improved since the 1960s, despite the expansion of industry and the power supply. If, after all this, we are going to take the view that the remaining air emissions outweigh all the benefits of electricity, and that we ought to be shamed into sitting in darkness for an hour, like naughty children who have been caught doing something bad, then we are setting up unspoiled nature as an absolute, transcendent ideal that obliterates all other ethical and humane obligations. No thanks. I like visiting nature but I don’t want to live there, and I refuse to accept the idea that civilization with all its tradeoffs is something to be ashamed of."

Right on, dude, this is Ross McKitrick, a professor of economics at the University of Guelph, writing in the Vancouver Sun. He's exactly right. Don't need to add anything to it. Great, great, great defense of electricity. Here come these nincompoops. These shishkabobs: "Turn off your electricity for an hour." And do what? What are you accomplishing? What great statement are you making?

texaspokieokie
3/26/2011, 07:54 AM
you're right.

PhiDeltBeers
3/26/2011, 08:43 AM
Waiting for the libs to show up.

:pop:

MR2-Sooner86
3/26/2011, 08:45 AM
Waiting for the libs to show up.

:pop:

:pop::pop:

mgsooner
3/26/2011, 10:38 AM
Why is the title of this post earth day when this statement isn't about earth day?

C&CDean
3/26/2011, 10:46 AM
Maybe the OP is titicularly challenged?

Sooner98
3/26/2011, 11:09 AM
Environmentalism is just another way for the rank-and-file liberal to make them feel better about themselves and the guilt that they feel, and to show the world how morally and intellectually superior they are to everyone who disagrees with them. Voice your opinion on the evils of fossil fuels, and about how outraged you are about what we are doing to Mother Earth, pass some token legislation, take part in some meaningless demonstration like "Earth Hour", and then go and enjoy all the luxuries that fossil fuels provide in their daily lives. That is the essence of the modern environmentalist.

Just compare the life expectancy numbers of people before the industrial revolution to today, as well as the quality of life then and now, and you will see the folly of environmentalist thought.

mgsooner
3/26/2011, 12:05 PM
Here are my thoughts on "Environmentalism":

-I don't know if "global climate change" is a reality or not. I'm not a scientist. I haven't studied any data. If you haven't either, then you are as clueless as I am. Anyone that says "look how cold it's been this winter!" and dismisses climate change is just as big of an idiot as someone that says "look how hot it's been this summer" as a validation of climate change. I am admittedly not an expert on the subject, so I don't run my mouth off about it.

-Anyone that villifies fossil fuels without also acknowledging that our quality of life is IMMENSELY better than humans have enjoyed at any time in history is an extremist fool.

-Regardless of if "climate change" is a reality or not, I don't understand how any sane and reasonable person could say that the following things are BAD:

1)Utilizing new technologies to try to make our energy use more efficient, and perhaps come up with new sources of energy so that future generations will enjoy the same plentiful and affordable energy as we enjoy today.

2)Utilizing recycling and other technologies to attempt to reduce the amount of waste we produce. We have a finite amount of space, and a growing amount of waste. It is thus in our best long-term interests to try to produce as little waste as we possibly can.

3)Attempt to minimize pollutants in our water and air. Again, I don't see how any rational person can say that "clean water is bad" or "clean air is bad". We don't want to go overboard and cause adverse effects (skyrocketing energy prices, massive job losses, etc), but this seems like a sensible goal to me.

4)Try to pick up after ourselves. Just like you wouldn't eat a hamburger in your house and then throw the wrapper on the floor, don't do it outside. Pick up your s**t. Seems pretty simple to me.

I realize this may seem overly simplistic, but it should be simple. I feel like these are things we can - or SHOULD - all be able to get behind. Some people are so obsessed with any sort of environmental activism being a "liberal" thing that they act like these simple goals are something bad or weak.

mgsooner
3/26/2011, 12:22 PM
As far turning the lights off for an hour, that is stupid and misguided. Instead, how about this: don't use energy for no reason. Don't leave your TV on all day if you're not even watching/listening. Don't leave lights on for no reason. If you're just going up the block, maybe get your fat @$$ up and walk there. Believe it or not conserving a little energy every now and then doesn't have to be a "liberal pansy" thing to do, and it can even save you some coin.

Pricetag
3/26/2011, 12:43 PM
Try to pick up after ourselves. Just like you wouldn't eat a hamburger in your house and then throw the wrapper on the floor, don't do it outside. Pick up your s**t. Seems pretty simple to me.

I realize this may seem overly simplistic, but it should be simple. I feel like these are things we can - or SHOULD - all be able to get behind. Some people are so obsessed with any sort of environmental activism being a "liberal" thing that they act like these simple goals are something bad or weak.
I'm convinced that if Greenpeace came out with a statement telling people not to **** on their living room floors, fanboys would start doing it in droves.

I've never understood how "conserv-ative" and "conserv-ation" have seemingly become mutually exclusive in the political domain.

soonercruiser
3/26/2011, 02:15 PM
I celebrated by spraying a petroleum based product into my wheel wells to make them prettier for the car club event!
:P

Whet
3/26/2011, 02:20 PM
For Earth Hour, everyone should turn on every light in their house!

C&CDean
3/26/2011, 08:42 PM
I'm convinced that if Greenpeace came out with a statement telling people not to **** on their living room floors, fanboys would start doing it in droves.

I've never understood how "conserv-ative" and "conserv-ation" have seemingly become mutually exclusive in the political domain.

Puleeze. Talk about a simplistic/ignorant/misguided/stereotypical/did I say ignorant? statement. Mr. Price, you're better than that.

C&CDean
3/26/2011, 08:43 PM
Here are my thoughts on "Environmentalism":

-I don't know if "global climate change" is a reality or not. I'm not a scientist. I haven't studied any data. If you haven't either, then you are as clueless as I am. Anyone that says "look how cold it's been this winter!" and dismisses climate change is just as big of an idiot as someone that says "look how hot it's been this summer" as a validation of climate change. I am admittedly not an expert on the subject, so I don't run my mouth off about it.

-Anyone that villifies fossil fuels without also acknowledging that our quality of life is IMMENSELY better than humans have enjoyed at any time in history is an extremist fool.

-Regardless of if "climate change" is a reality or not, I don't understand how any sane and reasonable person could say that the following things are BAD:

1)Utilizing new technologies to try to make our energy use more efficient, and perhaps come up with new sources of energy so that future generations will enjoy the same plentiful and affordable energy as we enjoy today.

2)Utilizing recycling and other technologies to attempt to reduce the amount of waste we produce. We have a finite amount of space, and a growing amount of waste. It is thus in our best long-term interests to try to produce as little waste as we possibly can.

3)Attempt to minimize pollutants in our water and air. Again, I don't see how any rational person can say that "clean water is bad" or "clean air is bad". We don't want to go overboard and cause adverse effects (skyrocketing energy prices, massive job losses, etc), but this seems like a sensible goal to me.

4)Try to pick up after ourselves. Just like you wouldn't eat a hamburger in your house and then throw the wrapper on the floor, don't do it outside. Pick up your s**t. Seems pretty simple to me.

Everything you said is pretty "on." Your sig is cracking me up though.