PDA

View Full Version : thank you joe c

87sooner
3/25/2011, 06:16 PM
since i never got a chance to thank joe for proving to ou fans that basketball IS important....
here's to you joe.
next week should put us on the fast track to recovery when the new coach is announced.
like i said.........guaranteed.

SoonerMom2
3/25/2011, 06:18 PM
Are you saying that a team in going to lose in the NCAA Sweet 16 and that coach is headed to OU?

cherokeebrewer
3/25/2011, 06:24 PM
What a relief...

zandozan
3/25/2011, 06:55 PM
Before Joe C hypothetically pulls the trigger on Buzz, lets see how he coaches this team down 25 in the first half. Best way to know what a person is made of is during adversity.

Collier11
3/25/2011, 07:14 PM
Id rather have the Butler coach if possible

zandozan
3/25/2011, 07:16 PM
Id rather have the Butler coach if possible

I wonder how many people are clawing their way off the Buzz bandwagon right now :D

kelloggOUballa
3/25/2011, 07:48 PM
lol he made the Sweet 16 as an 11 seed. So his team is getting hammered by the 2 seed. That is to be expected. At OU, we won't be the 11 seed with him. We will be a top-four seed.

zandozan
3/25/2011, 08:03 PM
I like how they've fought back in the second half. Just a complete case of nerves for Marquette. So much of sports is mental. It actually reminds me of the first 10 mins of OU's game against N. Carolina few years ago. We couldn't hit a shot and N.C. hit everything.

Actually as I type this it's been cut from 30 to 18. Nice zone, although they keep bricking 3's. No matter how this game ends, it's been a pretty amazing run for a team that absolutely nothing was expected of.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/25/2011, 08:25 PM
lol he made the Sweet 16 as an 11 seed. So his team is getting hammered by the 2 seed. That is to be expected. At OU, we won't be the 11 seed with him. We will be a top-four seed.

Why do you expect him to get better players at OU than at Marquette?
He recruits good kids over great players, why will having OU on their uni make them top 4 seeds?

kelloggOUballa
3/25/2011, 08:33 PM
Why do you expect him to get better players at OU than at Marquette?
He recruits good kids over great players, why will having OU on their uni make them top 4 seeds?

He has good Texas recruiting roots, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get a Texan to come to OU than Marquette. Simple as that.

SoonerMom2
3/25/2011, 08:44 PM
Some of you are selling OU basketball short and don't understand why. This is the home of Waymon Tisdale, Stacey King, Blake Griffen, etc. Not exactly a non-basketball school. We had two bad years but that doesn't erase all the very good years we had in the past and will have in the future. As they say at the football games -- There is only ONE Oklahoma and five reasons in no particular order below for OU to get better players then Marquette:

Reason #1 -- WEATHER is horrible in the winter in Milwaukee

Reason #2 -- OU Football and Marquette has no football

Reason #3 -- We are a major university and if we win over 20 games we will get a much higher seed. Marquette is near the bottom of the Big East. If you think that the Big East is going to push Marquette like they push Syracuse or a St. John's, think again. That is just the way it is.

Reason #4 -- budget is much larger at OU for recruiting, etc. then at any private Catholic school except maybe Notre Dame.

Reason #5 -- If you are a pro prospect, you road would be easier through OU

kelloggOUballa
3/25/2011, 08:47 PM
Some of you are selling OU basketball short and don't understand why. This is the home of Waymon Tisdale, Stacey King, Blake Griffen, etc. Not exactly a non-basketball school. We had two bad years but that doesn't erase all the very good years we had in the past and will have in the future. As they say at the football games -- There is only ONE Oklahoma and five reasons in no particular order below for OU to get better players then Marquette:

Reason #3 -- We are a major university and if we win over 20 games we will get a much higher seed. Marquette is near the bottom of the Big East. If you think that the Big East is going to push Marquette like they push Syracuse or a St. John's, think again. That is just the way it is.

Reason #4 -- budget is much larger at OU for recruiting, etc. then at any private Catholic school except maybe Notre Dame.

Reason #5 -- If you are a pro prospect, you road would be easier through OU

Great points!

Blue
3/25/2011, 09:42 PM
Not getting all the love for this guy, but what do i know?

jessegl25
3/25/2011, 10:59 PM
Doesn't matter that much, but sure, give OU the nod in that department.

Basketball players don't care about football and it's actually a benefit to be the big dogs on campus.

Wrong, if both teams have identical records, Marquette would get the higher seed due to stronger perceived competition. OU wouldn't get in a tourney with 14 losses like MU did this year.

Basketball programs spend basketball money and Marquette brings in about $14 million . OU brings in about $8.5 million (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AhPGGTzI7rA6_.vha1pROlXevbYF?slug=ys-forbes-highest_revenue_generating_college_teams_032211). I know, you'll say "football money this, football money that"...You don't dip into football money unless it's for a big ordeal i.e. arena expansion.

Reason #5 -- If you are a pro prospect, your road would be easier through OU
Wrong again. Marquette current NBAers - Wade, Novak, Matthews, Hayward, McNeal....OU pros - Griffin, Warren, Najera...Marquette has the edge in historical numbers as well by more than 10 players.

So I guess it comes down to the weather.

:pop:

LiveLaughLove
3/25/2011, 11:51 PM
Heard the other day on the radio that his "dream" job is texas. May be true, may not be. Just the mention of it makes me meh on the guy.

Supposedly he is worried that if he takes the OU job it might ruin his chances for the texas job if and when it comes open.

As for the 6 posts poster above. I don't think MU is a lesser job than OU. I certainly don't think it's anywhere close to a superior job either. It really depends on the coach and where he wants to be or fits in best.

A guy that played his college ball in Oklahoma and has had great success recruiting texas could easily be said to "fit" better at OU than MU.

Weather. Only people from Wisconson (or Minnesota) think the winters there arent brutal. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a 4th of July in Chicago." Wisconson is further north.

The football comment might be true for kids from the Chicago/Wisconson area. Kids in texas and Oklahoma however, love their football. Sampson said recruiting at OU was fairly easy. You take em to an OU football game and let them meet the current famous players and Coach Stoops. It matters here.

Seeding, hmm. You may be right there. The Big East is a product of ESPN, and ESPN gets them a ton of cred. Everey year we find out it's mostly over blown, but its there none the less.

Money. Joe C. has upgraded ALL of the athletic departments at OU. Those didnt upgrade on their own coin. They ALL benefit greatly from OU football. And that includes our basketball program. Any time Joe C. wants to he can dip into that almost bottomless well and draw life sustaining cool clear waters from it. If Joe wants to (and its if) out spend MU for Buzz, he will do it easily. When a new arena is in the offing, it will be built with football money.

Pros. Griffin > everybody. That ones easy. I know Wade is good to great. Griffin is on another planet right now and for the forseeable future.

Leroy Lizard
3/26/2011, 12:00 AM
The football comment might be true for kids from the Chicago/Wisconson area. Kids in texas and Oklahoma however, love their football. Sampson said recruiting at OU was fairly easy.

Ahem. Nice weather we're having here.

oulucas
3/26/2011, 12:20 AM
I concur with those who have expressed less interest in Buzz. It's not because he got his *** kicked tonight (40-15 at half?) but simply because I do not see him being the savior for this program, someone whom we pay 2 million to. Then again, I've been wrong before. What do I know?

P.S. before you flame me by saying he made it to the tournament this year please realize that he finished LOWER in his conference (11th in the Big East) than OU did this year. But yes, I understand that the Big East is the best conference to ever play basketball.

SoonerMom2
3/26/2011, 12:47 AM
But yes, I understand that the Big East is the best conference to ever play basketball.

They had 11 teams in and how many do they have left? ONE -- CT. Who were the number 1 seeds? Ohio State, Duke, Pitt, and Kansas. Pitt got knocked out right away.

ESPN has declared them the best basketball conference but this tournament showed they should never should have gotten 11 teams in the tournament the way they kept getting knocked out. Would inclined to put in more mid majors than have 11 teams from the Big East.

Big East is hype every year especially Syracuse while CT is the one that keeps going farther.

oulucas
3/26/2011, 12:53 AM
Mom, all respect to you. That portion of my post was sarcasm. Bring on the Buzz era.

SoonerMom2
3/26/2011, 01:09 AM
Mom, all respect to you. That portion of my post was sarcasm. Bring on the Buzz era.

Figured it might be sarcasm but gave me a chance to say what I thought of the Big East. My in-laws come from the Big East (Syracuse) so suffice it to say anytime I can slam the Big East I love the opportunity. The only conference that exists is the Big East in their mind. I was so happy to beat CT in the Fiesta Bowl because it was a Big East school! Never heard a peep out of my sister-in-law after we won.

C&CDean
3/26/2011, 08:17 AM
To the OP. Are you so needy of attention that you have to start yet ANOTHER Buzz thread after I shut down the OTHER Buzz thread you started when we already have about a dozen Buzz threads on here? Don't start another one. Post in one of the multitude that already exist.