PDA

View Full Version : US contemplates taxing mileage?

Sooner_Bob
3/25/2011, 03:00 PM
What a crock.

I hope the idiot that thought of this gets blasted with letters from everyone.

Link to story (http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/151765-cbo-says-taxing-drivers-based-on-miles-driven-a-real-option-for-raising-revenues)

Link to report (http://thehill.com/images/stories/blogs/flooraction/Jan2011/cboreport.pdf)

Pretty soon we'll be paying taxes on our taxes . . .

TheHumanAlphabet
3/25/2011, 03:04 PM
Yep, the dumbs will think of any way to part you from YOUR money...

pphilfran
3/25/2011, 03:06 PM
It will happen sometime down the road...electrics and higher efficiency vehicles will put a cramp in the gas tax revenue...

But don't expect anything soon...to tax electrics now would diminish demand and the fed wants to help sales, not hurt them...

Sooner_Bob
3/25/2011, 03:14 PM
Some of us can't stand to drive/ride in smaller cars. We need our space. Taxing a vehicle because it's a fullsize or drives differently is stupid. Which is what this would lead to. You'd have a fullsize tax, a midsize tax, etc.

What about all the taxes we pay on the stupid things when we buy them and tag them?

What about the gas taxes we currently pay?

Mongo
3/25/2011, 03:19 PM
Hybrid owners already pay good money for their rides, now they are going to get taxed for driving them. it will really suck if they are taxed the same rate as a one ton diesel truck

Fraggle145
3/25/2011, 03:24 PM
Larger vehicles such as semis cause more wear on roadways causing higher maintenance costs. They should be taxed IMO. I mean right now businesses that transport their goods using road transportation basically get this cost paid for by the American people.

yermom
3/25/2011, 03:26 PM
Some of us can't stand to drive/ride in smaller cars. We need our space. Taxing a vehicle because it's a fullsize or drives differently is stupid. Which is what this would lead to. You'd have a fullsize tax, a midsize tax, etc.

What about all the taxes we pay on the stupid things when we buy them and tag them?

What about the gas taxes we currently pay?

What are you talking about?

Taxing based on use seems reasonable, if one was to raise taxes though. If they just raised the tax per gallon they could also penalize higher mpg vehicles more than economical ones. That would be political suicide though

Mongo
3/25/2011, 03:28 PM
Larger vehicles such as semis cause more wear on roadways causing higher maintenance costs. They should be taxed IMO. I mean right now businesses that transport their goods using road transportation basically get this cost paid for by the American people.

Either our tax doll hairs pay for it, or the price you will pay on the products getting shipped. They will get their money, and by "they", I mean the gov or shippimg companies. They are getting enough money coming in, but they arent spending it on what it is meant for

KuppiKunta
3/25/2011, 03:36 PM
Before you know it, our paychecks will just go straight to a Guvmint bank, and we'll get an allowance every week!

ouduckhunter
3/25/2011, 04:40 PM
This would sux so much and just imagine all the new government employees required to administer this!

Next step will be to tax us for breathing!

badger
3/25/2011, 04:47 PM
The government already taxes mileage - it's called GASOLINE TAXES.

Then again, they tax our income before we spend it, when they tax us a second time... :rolleyes:

SoonerBorn68
3/25/2011, 04:50 PM
Sweet. Everything we buy will be going up. I can't wait to pay more.

texaspokieokie
3/25/2011, 04:54 PM

Semis already pay large road taxes.

yermom
3/25/2011, 05:17 PM
the fact is that we are in trouble because of our dependence on oil and the relatively cheap costs to drive everywhere have led to making lifestyle choices that probably can't be sustained

Scott D
3/25/2011, 05:25 PM
I personally blame Subaru drivers

yermom
3/25/2011, 05:42 PM
well, mine gets ~20 MPG and my commute has been about 5 miles round trip for like 13 years

Scott D
3/25/2011, 05:44 PM
damn gas guzzler

SoonerKnight
3/25/2011, 06:14 PM
WOW! That is a stupid idea!

yermom
3/25/2011, 06:21 PM
they already tax gas, and that makes more sense to me than this. either way they would make driving more expensive, but this would just split it up and you couldn't point at the gas price on the pump and blame Senator Taxalot specifically for the gas price increase

Fraggle145
3/25/2011, 06:25 PM
Semis already pay large road taxes.

I wasnt talking about taxing the truckdriver persay, I am more for taxing the entity commissioning the use of the semi.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/25/2011, 06:52 PM
It will happen sometime down the road...electrics and higher efficiency vehicles will put a cramp in the gas tax revenue...

But don't expect anything soon...to tax electrics now would diminish demand and the fed wants to help sales, not hurt them...The main problem is the left's dislike of fossil fuels.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/25/2011, 06:56 PM
the fact is that we are in trouble because of our dependence on oil and the relatively cheap costs to drive everywhere have led to making lifestyle choices that probably can't be sustainedThere ya go. Let's make sure they aren't sustained, by taxing the holy phu*k outa them.

Sooner_Bob
3/25/2011, 07:21 PM
What are you talking about?

Taxing based on use seems reasonable, if one was to raise taxes though. If they just raised the tax per gallon they could also penalize higher mpg vehicles more than economical ones. That would be political suicide though

What don't you understand?

Taxing me more because I drive farther to work than you do is stupid.

the-rover
3/25/2011, 09:20 PM
so they will be placing a tax on people who prefer to live in rural areas and have a longer commute.....that is some real bs

Mongo
3/25/2011, 09:36 PM
Arent the current taxes on a gallon of gas a usage or consumption tax? The more you use, the more taxes you pay?

soonercruiser
3/25/2011, 10:15 PM
All of the Demoncratic party's ideas are taxes on someone to exist!
:O

the-rover
3/25/2011, 10:25 PM
Arent the current taxes on a gallon of gas a usage or consumption tax? The more you use, the more taxes you pay?

That's why they're talking about this as a new law.....apparantly, they aren't getting enough money to work on roads because people aren't buying enough gas due to more fuel efficient vehicles being driven.

They're basically trying to figure out how to get tax dollars for people driving hybrids, ngvs and evs. So this guy has decided, "lets just tax everybody some more"

Sooner5030
3/25/2011, 10:27 PM
-I hope the "contemplation" was just for mileage on public roads

-you can't just make up revenue from thin air.....the end user will just pay more for all goods shipped via truck.

-our gubment sucks at 65% of everything it does. I wouldn't get too worried over this. Are a bunch or bureaucrats really gonna spend the time to accurately track your mileage.....or design the effective controls to prevent mileage misreporting?

we deserve a reset....really fast.

Turd_Ferguson
3/25/2011, 10:34 PM
I wasnt talking about taxing the truckdriver persay, I am more for taxing the entity commissioning the use of the semi.I have no idea what the actual figures are, but I can assure you trucking company pay an assload of taxes to DOT, fuel permits, weight permits, etc...

Veritas
3/25/2011, 10:37 PM
That doesn't seem like a great idea; damn near everything gets moved around by truck. Cost of those taxes would get passed down to us anyway. Their margins are pretty low anyway (or at least lots of them are). Seems like it would be pretty counterproductive.

Soonerfan88
3/25/2011, 11:25 PM
Truckers already pay extra fuel taxes, which also requires a fuel permit. State laws are different and can be another burden. I believe California has a heavy vehicle use tax. Dad used to cuss the ICC regulations, forms and taxes - now it would fall under IFTA and NSTB.

This is a stupid proposal. If politicians are worried about losing money to alternate fuel vehicles, put an additional tax on those specifically. Owners can pay it annually with their tags and/or property tax. If they are concerned about losing revenue because of increased fuel efficiency (which was mandated by them to begin with) then increase the current fuel tax.

The Profit
3/25/2011, 11:36 PM
All of the Demoncratic party's ideas are taxes on someone to exist!
:O

Some has to pay taxes in order to pay for those who have been on the government tit all of their working lives.

ouwasp
3/25/2011, 11:44 PM
"...deliver us from evil..."

sappstuf
3/25/2011, 11:58 PM
Some has to pay taxes in order to pay for those who have been on the government tit all of their working lives.

And we sure know the Obama cabinet isn't going to pay...

yermom
3/26/2011, 02:45 AM
What don't you understand?

Taxing me more because I drive farther to work than you do is stupid.

You were talking about sizes of cars, not miles.

Why should I pay The same when I drive less?

SoonerBread
3/26/2011, 08:12 AM
Let me get this straight...

We've been pushed and pushed to drive more fuel efficient vehicles, drive less, and/or purchase alternative fuel/electric vehicles. This has reduced tax revenues from the purchase of gasoline and diesel. This in turn means "they" are getting less money for things like road repair, traffic control maintenance, or whatever "they" spend all the money on.

So, really it's all just a money grab, in one way or the other. If we all comply, and do as "they" wish, "they" will have less money and penalize us financially for taking the steps "they" urged us to take, to be good citizens of planet Earth. So instead of getting the money from sales of fuel, which is allegedly down, "they" want to tax how many miles you drive, whether or not the miles were fuel efficient, clean, whatever.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the impetus for the environmental movement is not just for a cleaner planet...?

Sooner_Bob
3/26/2011, 08:36 AM

That's what I thought.

Sooner_Bob
3/26/2011, 08:38 AM
You were talking about sizes of cars, not miles.

Why should I pay The same when I drive less?

There was the argument to charge larger vehicles more per mile . . . either here or on slashdot where I say this posted.

You're already paying taxes on the gas you buy . . . I buy more gas so I pay more taxes.

If your round trip is less than 5 miles why do you even drive?

1890MilesToNorman
3/26/2011, 08:41 AM
But don't expect anything soon...to tax electrics now would diminish demand and the fed wants to help sales, not hurt them...

If they would take this approach in all markets our economy would be booming and so would tax revenues. Dunbasses in DC can **** off!

yermom
3/26/2011, 02:06 PM
There was the argument to charge larger vehicles more per mile . . . either here or on slashdot where I say this posted.

You're already paying taxes on the gas you buy . . . I buy more gas so I pay more taxes.

If your round trip is less than 5 miles why do you even drive?

you think i'm going to walk? i do bike it some, but my bike is broken at the moment, and weather can be something of an issue. still, 5-10 minutes to campus in a car is pretty nice.

and yeah, i think the current model is fine :D

you were seeming to refute an argument that had yet to be made.

i there are two issues being debated so far:

1) whether to accept any new taxes
2) whether we should tax everyone the same, or tax the ones that use more

then i guess there is:

3) should the ones that waste more pay more?

wars and roads aren't free ;)

soonercruiser
3/26/2011, 02:21 PM
I have no idea what the actual figures are, but I can assure you trucking company pay an assload of taxes to DOT, fuel permits, weight permits, etc...

Father-in-Law was a long-haul trucker, and complained about this all the time. (Especially bad for the privately owned truckers.)

soonercruiser
3/26/2011, 02:24 PM
Let me get this straight...

We've been pushed and pushed to drive more fuel efficient vehicles, drive less, and/or purchase alternative fuel/electric vehicles. This has reduced tax revenues from the purchase of gasoline and diesel. This in turn means "they" are getting less money for things like road repair, traffic control maintenance, or whatever "they" spend all the money on.

So, really it's all just a money grab, in one way or the other. If we all comply, and do as "they" wish, "they" will have less money and penalize us financially for taking the steps "they" urged us to take, to be good citizens of planet Earth. So instead of getting the money from sales of fuel, which is allegedly down, "they" want to tax how many miles you drive, whether or not the miles were fuel efficient, clean, whatever.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the impetus for the environmental movement is not just for a cleaner planet...?

Yup! The whole ill-conceived plan stinks like the healthcare bill!
("You gotta pass the bill to see what's in it".)