PDA

View Full Version : Florida State is as pathetic as Oklahoma A&M.....

SteelClip49
3/25/2011, 12:08 PM
LOL!

http://www.seminoles.com/blog/2011/01/2011-chick-fil-a-bowl-champs-ring.html

TucsonSooner
3/25/2011, 12:14 PM
Really??????!!!!!!

STATE CHAMPS!

Very Aggie of them...extremely Aggie

SoonerSnook
3/25/2011, 12:16 PM
I've never understood the celebration of mediocrity...

And then comments from their fans. I guess FSU are the aggies of Florida.

badger
3/25/2011, 12:17 PM
A lot of schools, if not every school, does bowl rings. I dunno about you guys, but I think it's kind of cool and definitely memorable if your program beats both Miami and Florida in the same year, two programs that have had a lot of success in the past.

Jacie
3/25/2011, 12:20 PM
I guess there wasn't enough room to put 47-17 on it . . .

badger
3/25/2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, we're the "Florida State champs" too... if you capitalize the S :D

jkjsooner
3/25/2011, 12:25 PM
Considering that the NCAA is so restrictive on benefits, I'd say it's a good policy to provide players with whatever benefits are allowed under NCAA rules. If I were a coach or AD, I'd give kids rings for every win if the NCAA allowed it.

The players can't sell the rings until they graduate (or leave the team) but after that point it's their ring to do whatever they want with it. Think of it as deferred compensation.

Leroy Lizard
3/25/2011, 01:00 PM
Considering that the NCAA is so restrictive on benefits, I'd say it's a good policy to provide players with whatever benefits are allowed under NCAA rules. If I were a coach or AD, I'd give kids rings for every win if the NCAA allowed it.

The players can't sell the rings until they graduate (or leave the team) but after that point it's their ring to do whatever they want with it. Think of it as deferred compensation.

Serious question: Given the problems that can happen if players sell their rings, is it a good idea to give them rings? As a coach, are you making your problems bigger?

agoo758
3/25/2011, 01:10 PM
A lot of schools, if not every school, does bowl rings. I dunno about you guys, but I think it's kind of cool and definitely memorable if your program beats both Miami and Florida in the same year, two programs that have had a lot of success in the past.

Except that Florida had a WAY off year this year, and Miami hasn't fielded a team it's known for since 2002. A win over Diet Oklahoma this year is a bigger accomplishment IMO.

agoo758
3/25/2011, 01:12 PM
Serious question: Given the problems that can happen if players sell their rings, is it a good idea to give them rings? As a coach, are you making your problems bigger?

That's what I wonder. Why are you giving them rings for which they can do as they wish, only to punish them when they do with the rings as they wish?:confused:

badger
3/25/2011, 01:16 PM
OK, maybe I'm a little kinder to FSU than most of you longer term Sooner fans, but since Bob's little bro Mark is there and they finally dumped Sooner hater (in the polls) Bobby Bowden, I don't hate them. I actually thought the rings were kind of cool.

And if you think "state champs" memorabilia is stupid, just remember that OU was producing "Texas state champs" shirts a few years back when we beat all of the Texas teams.

And there are FAR weirder trinkets and memorabilia given in college football than seemingly pointless rings. For example, Ohio State's gold pants. Seriously, you give a teenage guy a necklace trinket and that trinket is a pair of gold pants. wtf.

sluggo sooner
3/25/2011, 01:45 PM
Of course we were the Texas State Champs in 2000:

Oklahoma 55, UTEP 14
Oklahoma 42, Rice 14
Oklahoma 63, Texas 14
Oklahoma 56, Baylor 7
Oklahoma 35, Texas A&M 31
Oklahoma 27, Texas Tech 13

:)

JLEW1818
3/25/2011, 01:46 PM
nice stat

Soonerjeepman
3/25/2011, 02:06 PM
Of course we were the Texas State Champs in 2000:

Oklahoma 55, UTEP 14
Oklahoma 42, Rice 14
Oklahoma 63, Texas 14
Oklahoma 56, Baylor 7
Oklahoma 35, Texas A&M 31
Oklahoma 27, Texas Tech 13

:)

and I have 2 t-shirts to prove it....

I love OU as much as the next guy...but OU MARKETS that stuff as well...I have 2 T's from different yrs that have that...Texas State Champs..with all the scores of the games...

just sayin...

soonerboomer93
3/25/2011, 02:10 PM
I don't know that OU markets it, but vendors do.

Of course, it's not exactly hard to get a license to sell OU merchandise and then just turn in the % required.

Sooner_Tuf
3/25/2011, 02:24 PM
I don't have a problem with it. It is probably hard for us to understand since we don't have an instate rival in football.

Soonerjeepman
3/25/2011, 02:31 PM
I don't know that OU markets it, but vendors do.

Of course, it's not exactly hard to get a license to sell OU merchandise and then just turn in the % required.

true...guess that might be the difference...and I think taking into account there is really no state school in Oklahoma that challenges OU in football on a regular basis...I have no prob with FSU doing it...sure it's all about the Florida recruits..and showing the other schools "up"..

badger
3/25/2011, 02:33 PM
I don't have a problem with it. It is probably hard for us to understand since we don't have an instate rival in football.

Not that I'm complaining. It's nice to be able to ink in a W instead of in pencil every season during predictions time :stunned:

For any Pokes reading, sorry, I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but you guys couldn't even get Boonester to stay till 0:00 at the last OU-osu matchup.

rekamrettuB
3/25/2011, 02:58 PM
And if you think "state champs" memorabilia is stupid, just remember that OU was producing "Texas state champs" shirts a few years back when we beat all of the Texas teams.

I don't think OU was producing those things. Any vendor w/ an agreement can make them. Not sure tho.

AlboSooner
3/25/2011, 03:07 PM
Beyond lame.

texaspokieokie
3/25/2011, 04:39 PM
I've never understood the celebration of mediocrity...

And then comments from their fans. I guess FSU are the aggies of Florida.

how bout florida a a&m ??

badger
3/25/2011, 04:45 PM
I don't think OU was producing those things. Any vendor w/ an agreement can make them. Not sure tho.

:D fine, i concede that, i meant that there were licensed shirts with ou logos out there on our alleged texas state championship in 2000.

can't sneak anything by you can i ;)

rekamrettuB
3/25/2011, 05:03 PM
:D fine, i concede that, i meant that there were licensed shirts with ou logos out there on our alleged texas state championship in 2000.

can't sneak anything by you can i ;)

I was actually thinking the same thing originally before I saw it on the ring. I figured they had t-shirts and I thought "uh-oh...I recall those Texas state champs". Which is really a slap in the face to the entire state of Texas which...was...AWESOME!!!

texaspokieokie
3/25/2011, 05:06 PM
i think i have one of those shirts.

MyT Oklahoma
3/25/2011, 08:58 PM
I guess there wasn't enough room to put 47-17 on it . . .

^^ My first thought also. LOL

SoonerOX
3/27/2011, 03:44 PM
Full on Aggie

fossil
3/28/2011, 06:36 PM

:D It's HIGH SCHOOL!!!

Joe Kidd
4/1/2011, 12:28 PM
There is this OSU score shirt (http://shop.soonersports.com/COLLEGE_Oklahoma_Sooners_T-Shirts_Mens/Oklahoma_Sooners_vs_Oklahoma_State_Cowboys_White_S core_Long_Sleeve_T-shirt)

47straight
4/1/2011, 01:09 PM
There is this OSU score shirt (http://shop.soonersports.com/COLLEGE_Oklahoma_Sooners_T-Shirts_Mens/Oklahoma_Sooners_vs_Oklahoma_State_Cowboys_White_S core_Long_Sleeve_T-shirt)

I really hate that stuff. It's not witty. Meh.