PDA

View Full Version : New Construction and Game Day

basel90
3/25/2011, 11:24 AM
A sooner grad class of 90, stationed overseas. I have come to see games every other year and always wondered why the area around the stadium did not have more than one famous bar and restarurant on game day. , Oconnel's.
So do you have to go to campus corner up north now for drinks and food on game day before and after the game? why not build a diverse set of food and drinking establishments instead of the dormitory around the stadium?
Who is planning these things for OU and why not acutally improve that area game day experience and make it more busy and diverse ?
Surprised not to see any push back from students and alums.
There are certainly some find eating establishments in and around norman , but the game day experience and the every day feel of the area around the stadium and campush could cetrainly have used some new restaurants and bars in a strip type of a design . What i see happening is the opposite . You will have to walk all the way to campus corner which also need lots of work and upgrade itself. Not to mention that Occonnel's is an old tradition that was torn down.
Any thoughts fellow sooners ?

yukonsooner
3/25/2011, 11:27 AM
Don't know if it's true or not but I had heard they were planning on some sort of resturant on the bottom floor of the new construction

bri
3/25/2011, 11:29 AM
Wow, this is layers and layers of blinding stupidity.

jumperstop
3/25/2011, 11:41 AM
When was the last time you were in Norman. CC is a ton better than that ****ty corner where O'Connells was. They have shops and restaurants in every building down there now, with a lot of stuff set up on the closed down street on game day. Tv's and big screens to sit and watch all the games. I do remember back when I first started attending games in the mid 90's that the CC area looked run down and many of the store fronts vacant, but it's nice down there on game day and weekends now. The only thing on the corner where O'Connells was was O'Connells and it mostly sucked as of late. I think a 75 million dollar athletic dorm with help with football a lot more than putting some dive bars next to the stadium.

The Maestro
3/25/2011, 11:42 AM

+1.

Seriously? Let's not bother ourselves with dorms and other buildings pertaining to a university and the students there...we need a Chipotle, Pei Wei and Hooters!!!!

olevetonahill
3/25/2011, 11:43 AM

Yea Bro, All they got to do is come to a Tail Gate What else they need ?;)

badger
3/25/2011, 11:44 AM
Don't know if it's true or not but I had heard they were planning on some sort of resturant on the bottom floor of the new construction

Not sure if it will apply to the new building, but a friend who was an RA at the athletic dorms said that they took extra efforts to keep alums (read: boosters) out of the dorms on gameday. Thus, not sure they're gonna have a brand new athletic dorm beckon the boosters with a restaurant on gamedays... or any days, for that matter. If they do, might shut it down Saturdays.

As for our overseas stationed friend, have you heard of pocket shots? When we went to the Warsh game in Seattle a few years ago, we snuck down to the lower Sooner fan level at the end of the game - had to wade through tons of tiny glass bottles and plastic pocket shot corpses to get there :D

jumperstop
3/25/2011, 11:47 AM
Not sure if it will apply to the new building, but a friend was an RA at the athletic dorms and said that they took extra efforts to keep alums (read: boosters) out of the dorms on gameday. Thus, not sure they're gonna have a brand new athletic dorm beckon the boosters with a restaurant on gamedays... or any days, for that matter. If they do, might shut it down Saturdays.

As for our overseas stationed friend, have you heard of pocket shots? When we went to the Warsh game in Seattle a few years ago, we snuck down to the lower Sooner fan level at the end of the game - had to wade through tons of tiny glass bottles and plastic pocket shot corpses to get there :D

Hell you could probably bring a bottle, it's not like they pat you down...

JLEW1818
3/25/2011, 11:48 AM
FIRE VENABLES!!!

badger
3/25/2011, 11:49 AM

Security guard: Open your bag.
(baj opens her bag)
Security guard: (glances inside) OK, thank you.

However, the yellow shirts will raise a fit if your binoculars have a case :rolleyes:

sooner518
3/25/2011, 11:49 AM
when I was at OU, they always locked down the dorms during gamedays. you had to have a key to get in.

and campus corner is the place to be for GameDay. I never got the fascination with O'Connells. its one bar. Campus Corner has loads of bars.

olevetonahill
3/25/2011, 11:58 AM

I have heard of a few taking a small water bottle full of OVJ in with em.:eek:

StoopTroup
3/25/2011, 12:01 PM

jumperstop
3/25/2011, 12:03 PM
I have heard of a few taking a small water bottle full of OVJ in with em.:eek:

Just hear say and all...;)

SoonerinSouthlake
3/25/2011, 01:12 PM

Im dumber for reading your post

gaylordfan1
3/25/2011, 01:43 PM
I agree that CC has gotten much better over the last 5yrs. They close down the streets and just about everything goes.... except for peeing in public. I was running on campus today and noticed that they have already leveled the subway and the line of stores on the east side of Jenkins/Lindsey.

WichitaSooner
3/25/2011, 02:13 PM

Couldn't agree more... The OP want's a "busy and diverse area of eating and drinking establishments" near the stadium. We have THAT... It's called CAMPUS CORNER!

SoonerPride
3/25/2011, 02:26 PM
O'Connell's was terrible. That whole corner was janky. It should have been razed 20 years ago.
At my tailgate I eat really good food and drink my own ice cold beer or single malt scotches.
It's 1/2 block north of Boyd House on University and if you throw a rock you'll hit Campus Corner.

Soonerfan88
3/25/2011, 02:54 PM
Don't know if there will be a restaurant, but the blueprints shown on Soonersports.com did specify several retail areas on the first floor.

oudavid1
3/25/2011, 02:54 PM
FIRE VENABLES!!!

Wa-ha-inning.

Octavian
3/25/2011, 04:01 PM
If everyone could see some of the new student facilities at some of the other major universities, this would be a much bigger and more positive topic on the OU internetz -- and probably would have happened earlier.

This is awesome news for OU. Great addition to our campus, and it'll help us in a lot of ways for a long, long time. And I loved the old O'C's.

LostCreekSooner
3/25/2011, 09:38 PM
O'Connells on game day has not been the same since the late 70s and early 80s... before Campus Corner really got started. Also when they still allowed people to leave the stadium at half time to grab some more beer.

Everyone is sober now at the games... WTH is that about?

SoonerPride
3/25/2011, 10:47 PM
Wa-ha-inning.

Windowpane lasts for hours.

texaspokieokie
3/26/2011, 08:06 AM
O'Connells on game day has not been the same since the late 70s and early 80s... before Campus Corner really got started. Also when they still allowed people to leave the stadium at half time to grab some more beer.

been to football games since 1987, CC has always been busy.

picasso
3/26/2011, 08:52 AM

The halftime thing ended after 9/11.

C&CDean
3/26/2011, 10:51 AM
Everyone is sober at the games? Really? I'm hardpressed to find anybody sober at the games.

texaspokieokie
3/26/2011, 10:53 AM
ME

Sooner_Tuf
3/26/2011, 06:10 PM

Where the heck are your seats?

SGA
3/28/2011, 02:45 PM
Not sure if it will apply to the new building, but a friend who was an RA at the athletic dorms said that they took extra efforts to keep alums (read: boosters) out of the dorms on gameday. Thus, not sure they're gonna have a brand new athletic dorm beckon the boosters with a restaurant on gamedays... or any days, for that matter. If they do, might shut it down Saturdays.

I can speak to this. I lived in the athletic dorms in college and will say, they keep that place sealed up like a dolphin's ***: water-tight.