PDA

View Full Version : The building replacing the Bud...

yankee
3/24/2011, 12:00 PM
At the corner of Lindsey and Jenkins.

Impressive.

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/20110322_header2.jpg

http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032411aaa.html

Jason Alexander
3/24/2011, 12:06 PM
That is really nice. There's so much construction going on campus already. Cant a college ever be completed?

badger
3/24/2011, 12:06 PM
Looks nice. I thought for a sec that it would go where O'Connell's and Subway were... are they actually gonna do without the Bud for awhile? What will student athletes do that need on-campus housing in the meantime?

yankee
3/24/2011, 12:07 PM
Looks nice. I thought for a sec that it would go where O'Connell's and Subway were... are they actually gonna do without the Bud for awhile? What will student athletes do that need on-campus housing in the meantime?

I just assumed they'd keep the Bud fully operational until this thing was completed. But I could be wrong.

Boomer.....
3/24/2011, 12:08 PM
What are they going to do with the land the old student housing is at? More parking?

Jason Alexander
3/24/2011, 12:10 PM
It looks like its going to be where the Bud is now so I dont understand what they're doing across the street. I'd welcome a huge parking garage. It took me 15 minutes to find a spot to park this morning. Although a parking garage isnt going to woo recruits.

badger
3/24/2011, 12:12 PM
That place doesn't have an abundance of room to expand - I don't think they can just keep the old building up till the new one's completed - even the parking lot adjacent is kind of... well, cozy I guess :D

I know student athletes can live in regular housing too - we had a football player out at Cross Center my froshie year - but can student housing overall be fine without one of its buildings during this construction?

XingTheRubicon
3/24/2011, 12:16 PM
concerned about the ghosts

Mjcpr
3/24/2011, 12:17 PM
Where is the uzi terrace?

:D

NormanPride
3/24/2011, 12:27 PM
boooo

Boomer.....
3/24/2011, 12:32 PM
It looks like its going to be where the Bud is now so I dont understand what they're doing across the street. I'd welcome a huge parking garage. It took me 15 minutes to find a spot to park this morning. Although a parking garage isnt going to woo recruits.

The 230,000 square foot housing center, which will be located on the corner of Jenkins and Lindsey, southeast and across the street from the football stadium

The map also shows it at the location where O'Connell's and the strip center are/were.

Soonerson1975
3/24/2011, 12:34 PM
Where is the uzi terrace?

:D

Funny, Buster Rhymes is the first thing I thought about as well.

Jason Alexander
3/24/2011, 12:40 PM
The map also shows it at the location where O'Connell's and the strip center are/were.
Alright, I just looked at it from the wrong angle.

CrimsonCommando
3/24/2011, 01:04 PM
So...where are they going to set up the big tubs of beer for game day?

Soonerson1975
3/24/2011, 01:19 PM

Norman PD is going to crack down on pre game drinking.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 01:21 PM

The tailgate, doh.

It's going where O'Connell's was, not where the Bud is.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 01:22 PM

Link?

Boomer.....
3/24/2011, 01:24 PM

Riiiiiiiiight.

Soonerson1975
3/24/2011, 01:25 PM
Link?

No link, just word of mouth. I don't really believe they will, but I wonder how many folks would stop coming to games if they couldn't get lit up before hand?

yankee
3/24/2011, 01:27 PM
No link, just word of mouth. I don't really believe they will, but I wonder how many folks would stop coming to games if they couldn't get lit up before hand?

Where there's a will there's a way.

SoonerPride
3/24/2011, 01:36 PM
You go through the bathrooms to get to the bedrooms? Strange.

51% non-athletes and 49% athletic housing.

Is the Bud that way now? I thought it was 100% athletic housing.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 01:37 PM

We have a bowler on the board who lived in the Bud, and I'm pretty sure that bowling and intramural flag football are not varsity sports.

soonersponge
3/24/2011, 01:55 PM

Can't be 100% athletes. Not allowed by law or rule. Can't remember which. Required to be 51% non athletes. The 2 bedroom units will be for football and mens basketball since each bedroom gets its own bathroom. The 4 bedroom units have 2 bedrooms split one bathroom it looks like.

Soonerfan88
3/24/2011, 01:56 PM

Per NCAA regulations, no housing facility can be designated as athlete only - must be less than half. That is why all "athletic dorms" are 51-49 at every school.

Mississippi Sooner
3/24/2011, 01:58 PM
Per NCAA regulations, no housing facility can be designated as athlete only - must be less than half. That is why all "athletic dorms" are 51-49 at every school.

Yep. They made that rule because of stuff that was going on back in the 80s.

SoonerPride
3/24/2011, 02:12 PM

oh, ok.

thanks

learn something new every day

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2011, 03:03 PM

Like Bud House ;) Better than anything the lowly non-athletes had at the time, there food >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crouch crapeteria.

kelloggOUballa
3/24/2011, 03:45 PM
It is going to be where O'Connell's used to be. Not sure if the Bud will stay intact or not.

sooner518
3/24/2011, 04:06 PM
man, those are some spacious living quarters. hell of a lot bigger than anything I ever had in Walker tower.

tfoolry
3/24/2011, 04:25 PM
I had a nice air cond room in Cate that faced the Stadium & had carpet (A/C & carpet were options back then). Cate was much cooler than Walker as you could open the windows for various reasons ;)

sooner59
3/24/2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah my cousin lived in the Bud for a year and he is far from an athlete. Sammy B kicked his *** at ping pong. :D

fadada1
3/24/2011, 10:06 PM
o'connells and subway are major losses. but what about soonersuperette - where the heck am i going to get cheap beer and bad hostess products on my next visit to norman.........

SteelClip49
3/25/2011, 12:57 AM
I lived in The Bud from 2004-2005 (lived next door to Godbold and Longar) and directly above (AD and Walker) and the Gomer Jones house (next door) from 2005-2006. It is 51-49. It's better that way. it's to help the athletes cope with not being with other athletes all the time. It's also to help with school and get more involved with school when it comes to homework and just daily interaction with the non-athletes.

It was definitely noticeable in the athletic cafeteria. Many times football players and non-athletes would sit together. It was a nice common balance.

Jacie
3/25/2011, 06:17 AM
So they still put all the jocks in one place but they let the commoners live with em now.

I shoulda waited a few decades before getting that B.S. . . .

oudavid1
3/25/2011, 07:59 AM

Last year was my first experience as a college student in Norman for a game.

I know OU is a dry campus but it seems like Cops dont give a shiz. I was at that little shack/bar thing on the Southwest side of the stadium by the Lambda house and a cop pulled up, saw everyone(college students) drinking and just acted like it was no big deal.

Yes, I am underage like most everyone else. But its gameday(FSU & Tech).

Sooners78
3/25/2011, 08:23 AM

Is that the Jerry Parks rule?

achiro
3/25/2011, 08:47 AM
It is going to be where O'Connell's used to be. Not sure if the Bud will stay intact or not.

It will be demolished.

Boomer.....
3/25/2011, 09:51 AM
o'connells and subway are major losses. but what about soonersuperette - where the heck am i going to get cheap beer and bad hostess products on my next visit to norman.........

Everything has moved to campus corner. Subway and O'Connell's (even though it's not as good as the old one) are now there and the Superette (owned by the same people) has been there for years.

You're just going to have to move a few blocks north.

Boomer.....
3/25/2011, 09:52 AM
Last year was my first experience as a college student in Norman for a game.

I know OU is a dry campus but it seems like Cops dont give a shiz. I was at that little shack/bar thing on the Southwest side of the stadium by the Lambda house and a cop pulled up, saw everyone(college students) drinking and just acted like it was no big deal.

Yes, I am underage like most everyone else. But its gameday(FSU & Tech).

Cops let drinking slide on gamedays. Hell, you're not even supposed to drink alcohol within a few hundred feet of a gas station where you bought it but on gamedays, people are drinking in line. :D

CrimsonCommando
3/25/2011, 09:55 AM

And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Soonerfan88
3/25/2011, 11:42 AM
Is that the Jerry Parks rule?

I believe it actually came from Kentucky. The housing for their basketball team was pretty extravagant. I don't remember all of it, but think that a proposal for upgrades to regular, much older dorms was denied due to funding soon after the mansions were built and students complained enough NCAA had to do something.