PDA

View Full Version : FAA Academy?

jumperstop
3/23/2011, 11:41 PM
Been thinking about going back to school since my current job just isn't cutting it, and my dad is always mentioning this as an option to me. Do any of you guys work there or have any information on how to apply? I went to their website and it's very confusing, and I couldn't even find out how to apply to the academy. Does one need experience before applying there? Military experience? Got my bachelors degree, but do I need any flight or ATC experience? I've heard they aren't always accepting applications and that it may take up to a year before you get accepted. I'm sure since this is in OKC there will be someone here with some information...I hope. Thanks.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 11:49 PM
Been thinking about going back to school since my current job just isn't cutting it, and my dad is always mentioning this as an option to me. Do any of you guys work there or have any information on how to apply? I went to their website and it's very confusing, and I couldn't even find out how to apply to the academy. Does one need experience before applying there? Military experience? Got my bachelors degree, but do I need any flight or ATC experience? I've heard they aren't always accepting applications and that it may take up to a year before you get accepted. I'm sure since this is in OKC there will be someone here with some information...I hope. Thanks.

Not sure...ask Turd or someone around here.

jumperstop
3/24/2011, 12:31 AM
So looks like you have to get CTI training first, fortunately they have that program offered at OU. The ****ty part is the whole process can take up to four years or more. Still if any ATC's have anything to add it would be much appreciated.

StoopTroup
3/24/2011, 08:12 AM

sooner_born_1960
3/24/2011, 08:14 AM
Are you applying for a position at the Academy? what type of position are you looking for?

sooner_born_1960
3/24/2011, 08:21 AM
If you are interested in ATC...
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/path2/

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2011, 08:58 AM
No pot, no dope or drug using of any kind for the rest of your career.

And No SLEEPING on the job...

StoopTroup
3/24/2011, 08:58 AM
And No SLEEPING on the job...

Veritas
3/24/2011, 09:08 AM
Hey now, that's a good idea. I'm a big fan of ATC.

jumperstop
3/24/2011, 10:05 AM
No pot, no dope or drug using of any kind for the rest of your career. Not on Weekends, not on vacations and they are serious about it. So get what you need to get in and if you think for one second they aren't serious about it or not that strict about it....you are wrong.

I only say this is some folks view what I'm saying as a bunch of bull**** and they can think what they want but I have personally seen quite a few folks lose their careers, trust from their peers and in some cases their lives were irreversibly changed forever and in a bad way.

It's a great career for some and for others it becomes a waste of time for them and their employer. If you have it in your head to be a ATC in it's your dream job. Treat it like your dream job every day of your life from this day forward. Go for it!

I think that may be why I never considered it in college. My first roomie in college, his dad said it and made a great living. But now I don't care about things I once did and I would like a real job. I'm not saying this would be a dream job, but I don't think I have a dream job. I've never been able to make a decision on what I want in life like a lot of people were doing their freshman year in college. I just want something I can be dedicated to. The only thing I'm concerned about is I may not like it. It's terribly stressful, and even after schooling there can be a long wait between going to academy and and then to your facility from what I read. I don't want to get into something just to find out it's not for me. This is something I guess I have to think about. Any ATC on here have anything advice?

jumperstop
3/24/2011, 10:06 AM
If you are interested in ATC...
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/atc/path2/

So from what I'm seeing there I wouldn't have to go to school first? No CTI?

sooner_born_1960
3/24/2011, 10:11 AM
So from what I'm seeing there I wouldn't have to go to school first? No CTI?
You don't have to. You will need to check for openings that don't require it.
jobs.faa.gov

jumperstop
3/24/2011, 10:13 AM
You don't have to. You will need to check for openings that don't require it.
jobs.faa.gov

Ok yeah I had to read it again.

Edit: Which there aren't any at the moment...I wonder how often they open it up to non Cti grads.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 10:14 AM
But you will have to **** clean, and continue to **** clean if you are hired.

ELP Sooner
3/24/2011, 12:39 PM
It's a long and slow process. If you want to get into ATC I would suggest first getting trained and then a job in airline dispatch. That way you are free to leave when the call comes and in the meantime you are gaining some experience. Dispatchers are shift workers like ATC so you will get the chance to see if that is for you. If you get to OKC be sure not to take a job offer at places like ATL or ORD, you wont make it. In fact I dont think any off the street types have ever become fully qualified at ATL. When training at OKC you will sorta need to decide if you like Tower or Radar. Plenty of facilities are up/down like OKC airport for example where you will need to be qualified for tower AND radar. Some places like SAN are tower only so if that is your thing, great. If you are radar only, God bless. LOL

MamaMia
3/25/2011, 02:51 AM
My father started out as an ATC right out of the Air Force. I believe you first have to take the Civil Service Exam. Have you called the FAA Aeronautical Center yet? If you haven't, and plan to, ask for the Director.