PDA

View Full Version : Would Buzz come here...

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:29 PM
... If OU was to pay him $2 Million?
Right now, he makes $1.5 Million at Marquette.

In today's Daily Oklahoman sports page, Tramel said that OU is willing to fork out some money to hire the next coach. He said OU will be willing to pay $2 Million to the new coach.

That being, said...is that enough for OU to get Williams to OU?

And FWIW, today, the Oklahoman, shown their final four in the "Castiglione Invitational."

Their final four was:
Buzz Williams (Marquette) vs Terry Evans (UCO)
Tad Boyle (Colorado) vs. Tubby Smith (Minnesota)

Their Final was:
Buzz Williams vs. Tad Boyle with Williams winning.

Like I said, that is FWIW.

yermom
3/23/2011, 01:37 PM
that seems excessive.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:43 PM
Yes it does. But if he is making 1.5 at Marquette, OU would have to offer at least that just to get him to leave there.

He would not leave Marquette (or I wouldnt anyway) for anything less than that.

It is going to get into a price war going after Williams. If he is happy at Marquette like he says he is, and Marquette matches OU's offer, he is staying put.

I personally think Williams is untouchable right now. Wouldn't mind having him after going over what he has accomplished.

yermom
3/23/2011, 01:44 PM
the guy from Butler?

yermom
3/23/2011, 01:44 PM
i'm not sure why any mid-major coach that's a constant presence in the tourney would come here...

yankee
3/23/2011, 01:45 PM
i'm not sure why any mid-major coach that's a constant presence in the tourney would come here...

To get hella money and access to better facilities and athletes.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:45 PM
You or me both.

Brad Stevens is not going to be coming to OU unless OU forked out top dollar for his services...I am talking Bill Self (3.6 Mil) or higher type money!

yermom
3/23/2011, 01:51 PM
To get hella money and access to better facilities and athletes.

is it that much of a difference between the schools in that area? i could see it after Kelvin left, but where we are now, it seems like it could be a tough sell

i guess it's probably easier to make the tourney in the Big 12 than in some other conference

btk108
3/23/2011, 01:54 PM
WWBD wrist bands, anyone?

stoopified
3/23/2011, 04:04 PM
... If OU was to pay him $2 Million?
Right now, he makes $1.5 Million at Marquette.

In today's Daily Oklahoman sports page, Tramel said that OU is willing to fork out some money to hire the next coach. He said OU will be willing to pay $2 Million to the new coach.

That being, said...is that enough for OU to get Williams to OU?

And FWIW, today, the Oklahoman, shown their final four in the "Castiglione Invitational."

Their final four was:
Buzz Williams (Marquette) vs Terry Evans (UCO)
Tad Boyle (Colorado) vs. Tubby Smith (Minnesota)

Their Final was:
Buzz Williams vs. Tad Boyle with Williams winning.

Like I said, that is FWIW.I wouldn't get too excited,five years ago the DO did same 64 coach scensrion and Capel wasn't even mentioned.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't get too excited,five years ago the DO did same 64 coach scensrion and Capel wasn't even mentioned.

:confused:

Where is the excitement? Especially with me saying FWIW (For What It's Worth).

So, okay then I will try to not be so excited about that farce of a bracket and waste of a tree!:rolleyes:

soonerbub
3/23/2011, 04:41 PM
I'd be shocked if we pay anyone over $1.2 especially if we have to pay Capel.

When < 2K show up regularly there's not a lotta $ to go around

oumartin
3/23/2011, 04:51 PM

that attendance don' t mean jack in the scheme of things. Football is makin' plenty to pay 2.0 million. Raist ticket prices another 5 bucks.

lets see 80,000 x 5 =400,000 x 6 =2.4 million. Problem solved

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 08:21 PM
that attendance don' t mean jack in the scheme of things. Football is makin' plenty to pay 2.0 million. Raist ticket prices another 5 bucks.

Yeah, because let me tell you....I want to spend $5 for already overpriced tickets.

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2011, 08:22 PM

Marquette is not a mid-major, unless of course you think the Big East is a mid-major conference in Basketball.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 08:25 PM
Marquette is not a mid-major, unless of course you think the Big East is a mid-major conference in Basketball.

No, Marquette is in deed a Mid-Major...just in the Big East. Hell, the Big east keeps it up, they will have 32 teams in their conference for basketball before too long.

Their overall athletic budget is lower than almost all D-1A teams....hell, they do not eve have football.

oumartin
3/23/2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah, because let me tell you....I want to spend $5 for already overpriced tickets.

then don't go. I dont' give a sh!t. someone else will pay the money.

stupid comments.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 08:29 PM
then don't go. I dont' give a sh!t. someone else will pay the money.

dumass comments.

Couldn't have been stated by a dumber person. Thanks. :P

Oh, and when you are done acting like a tough guy, let us know. ;)

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2011, 08:39 PM
No, Marquette is in deed a Mid-Major...just in the Big East. Hell, the Big east keeps it up, they will have 32 teams in their conference for basketball before too long.

Their overall athletic budget is lower than almost all D-1A teams....hell, they do not eve have football.

So budget determines whether you are a mid-major school or not? Then why is okie state not considered a mid-major?

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 08:47 PM
So budget determines whether you are a mid-major school or not? Then why is okie state not considered a mid-major?

I did not say that exactly...and really did not mean to even imply that.

Just stating that they are a really small school with a really small budget. Most FBS schools are bigger than them...even most Mid-Majors.

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2011, 08:51 PM
I did not say that exactly...and really did not mean to even imply that.

Just stating that they are a really small school with a really small budget. Most FBS schools are bigger than them...even most Mid-Majors.

I get what you are saying...would tcu then be considered a mid-major. I guess I can't accept it because I don't see the Big East having Mid-Major schools.

yermom
3/23/2011, 08:56 PM
i didn't realize they were in the Big East. damn, how many teams do they have?

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2011, 09:01 PM

Like 16 I believe.....The bottom two teams are Depaul and Providence. Hell they are not even that bad...you could almost call the Big East the Sweet 16 Conference....oh and they are adding TCU next year!

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 09:01 PM
I get what you are saying...would tcu then be considered a mid-major. I guess I can't accept it because I don't see the Big East having Mid-Major schools.

You do know that Marquette did nto join the Big East until 2005, right?

TCU has an endowment of 1.1 Billion

Marquette has an endowment of 285.5 Million.

And Marquette actually has about 3K more in enrollment.

However, division size is not about enrollment, but attendance.

With Marquette not having football, their Premiere sport is Men's basketball. Meaning their fans will be dedicated to that sport more than any other that they offer.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 09:02 PM

16, 17 when TCU gets there.

Heard rumors that they want to expand to about 20 plus...but I take that with a grain of salt because I don't trust the source.

http://i55.tinypic.com/xc87pc.jpg

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2011, 09:06 PM

Heard rumors that they want to expand to about 20 plus...but I take that with a grain of salt because I don't trust the source.

Was it from a David tweet?

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 09:07 PM
Was it from a David tweet?

I edited my post...sorry!:D

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2011, 09:21 PM
I edited my post...sorry!:D
Wow, in my attempt to make a joke, i actually was correct.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 09:29 PM
Wow, in my attempt to make a joke, i actually was correct.

LOL

It is actually a fark.

Take a look at the fark board. ;)

Ruf/Nek7
3/23/2011, 10:09 PM
LOL

It is actually a fark.

Take a look at the fark board. ;)

Just contributed.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 10:38 PM
Just contributed.

saw that....good'un!

Jason Alexander
3/24/2011, 01:02 PM
You or me both.

Brad Stevens is not going to be coming to OU unless OU forked out top dollar for his services...I am talking Bill Self (3.6 Mil) or higher type money!
Even with that kind of money, I just dont see Brad Stevens ever leaving the state of Indiana. I figure he'll stay at Butler until the Indiana job opens up.

soonerdo
3/26/2011, 10:56 AM
IMO no way Buzz comes to OU right now. Too many issues going in the program

AlboSooner
3/26/2011, 10:57 AM
IMO no way Buzz comes to OU right now. Too many issues going in the program

What are the issues?

rekamrettuB
3/26/2011, 11:09 AM

Cart before the horse.

SoonerMom2
3/26/2011, 11:18 AM
Looks like some Marquette people found our board! :)

LiveLaughLove
3/26/2011, 11:24 AM
I'm starting to think it won't be Buzz simply because all signs are pointing toward Buzz.
Joe just rarely seems to be after the guy that the media and fans thinks he is after.
He may be, but it won't shock me if it ends up being someone we aren't even talking about.

texaspokieokie
3/26/2011, 12:49 PM

putting fans in the stands is very important for basketball. (& of course football)

coaches are gone when attendance drops. that's part of what happened to john blake.

SoonerMom2
3/26/2011, 03:08 PM
Joe C. is in Dayton with the women. The University of Dayton basketball coach is considered a prime candidate for a bigger coaching job. GA Tech has already expressed an interest but the AD said they have not asked for permission to talk with Brian Gregory, Head Coach of the Dayton Flyers basketball team. He has reached 75 wins as fast as the other icons of Dayton basketball -- Tom Blackburn and Don Donohue who took the Flyers to the NCAA Championship losing to UCLA.

Background: A native of Mount Prospect, Ill., Gregory brought 13 years of coaching experience to Dayton, with 12 of them coming in the Big Ten. He began his coaching career in 1990 at Michigan State University on Jud Heathcote's staff until 1995, and then served as associate head coach on Tom Izzo's staff when he returned to MSU in 1999.

Received an email a short time ago from a friend in Dayton who asked if his name had been mentioned here in Norman as a possible coach as he had heard from someone at UD that OU had asked for permission to talk with him and wondered if I had heard anything. He said rumors are flying about GA Tech and others after him. Told him I had not heard his name but with Joe C who knows.

soonervegas
3/26/2011, 04:01 PM
This is totally in response to another Buzz thread that has since been closed, but OU has been a top 4 seed 14 times since 1984. (Or a little over once every 2 years) I guarantee you Marquette hasn't sniffed that.

OU fans (who haven't posted on this board for the past decade) are coming on here telling us how average the OU basketball program is. You sound ignorant.

badger
3/26/2011, 04:07 PM

Funny if true, because they're too big as-is. I could see them strong-arming ND to being an all-Big East school (force em to play Big East football), but that wouldn't add any teams to their big conference.

I could see Mem-pis getting consideration - they were with a lot of current Big East teams in C-USA before the massive exodus.

Some of their teams though just can't be pulling their weight in that bloated league though - like Seton Hall, for example.

If the Big 12 were to ever fold, I could see them making overtures to KU, KSU, MU, ISU, or a Big 12 South team that doesn't find a home... one not named Baylor, sorry Bears :D

Quik Sand
3/26/2011, 04:38 PM
:pop:

AlboSooner
3/26/2011, 06:02 PM
Can we have Brad Stevens instead of Buzz Killington?

Quik Sand
3/26/2011, 06:03 PM
James the Marvel

SoonerMom2
3/26/2011, 06:47 PM
Brad Stevens can flat out coach! I may never pick against Butler again!

Eielson
3/26/2011, 07:47 PM
Brad Stevens can flat out coach! I may never pick against Butler again!

I plan on picking against them next game.

Vegas Sooner
3/27/2011, 05:41 AM
ALL WISHES!

.....Can we get Kelvin back???? I liked it when we won Big 12 Championships and went to a Final Four while I was attending OU.

.....maybe Billy?

Can we get that stupid Horse-Pig out of LNC and get our Dawg back!!!

I may have to cut off donating to OU unless we get TD back in LNC!

I want it rolling back in Norman!

Vegas Sooner
3/27/2011, 05:43 AM
James the Marvel

Can we get him?????

nebraskaSOONER
3/27/2011, 11:10 AM
Brad S. PLEASE!

badger
3/27/2011, 11:48 AM
I once repeated a rumor that Marquette's Buzz buyout was $3.8 mil-ish. It seems that was just a rumor (it's a private school, after all) and that the actual buyout might be closer to $1.5 mil.

Thus, it would "only" cost us about $5.5 mil to get Buzz to replace Capel.

$2 mil Capel buyout
$2 mil (ish) to pay Buzz annual salary
$1.5 mil buyout at Marquette
=$5.5 mil.

This will be about what it takes to get a competitive coach right about now, but we could probably also go the Capel-like route again and get someone cheaper who is a "rising star.

$2 mil Capel buyout
$750k annual contract for rising star (what we paid Capel his first year outta VCU)
=$2.75 mil

So, about a $2.75 mil to $5.5 mil range is what we're looking at. Quite frankly, I think Joe C. should go toward another rising star AND significantly lower ticket prices to bring fans back, much like OSU just did with their GIA prices (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110325_17_B1_Oklaho874864).

As much as I'd love a big name to draw some top recruits and get to any postseason tourney again, a big name guarantees nothing, except paying more money into a money losing program at this point in time. It might be time to rebuild everything.

texaspokieokie
3/27/2011, 12:19 PM
gotta consider the "capel buyout" money already spent.

rekamrettuB
3/27/2011, 12:34 PM
gotta consider the "capel buyout" money already spent.

Exactly what I was thinking. That 2 mil is going to have to be paid no matter if they hire me. Shouldn't even be considered in the budget for the new coach. That should have been budgeted in when hiring Capel a few years back.

oumartin
3/27/2011, 12:34 PM
is it wrong of me to think we should be raiding vcu for their coach again?

sperry
3/27/2011, 12:46 PM
I have a feeling we are going to be paying Jeff Capel a bunch of money to not be coaching here, and then paying a young coach who is no better than Jeff Capel some additonal money to coach the team. Unless we shell out some real dough to get someone big time, I think Joe C dropped the ball on this one.

As for Stephens, I think that's wishful thinking. I'd have to imagine that guy is just waiting for Duke, UNC, Kanas, UCLA, or something similar to open up. He's a top 5 coach in the nation.

zandozan
3/27/2011, 01:25 PM
is it wrong of me to think we should be raiding vcu for their coach again?

I don't think we should allow the fact that Shaka is from the same school as Capel to even come into the decision. One has nothing to do with the other, it's merely coincidence. I understand the initial emotional reaction would be to stay away from the source of a recent mistake but this is a multi million dollar decision and Joe C is a very analytical guy. Joe will hire the guy thats best for OU based on the man not what school he last coached at.

yankee
3/27/2011, 02:19 PM
It's looking less and less likely that Buzz is leaving Marquette. Sad day.

Collier11
3/27/2011, 02:29 PM
again, dont get the hype for Buzz...good coa but, better than Capel? Joe C. needs to make a splash and I dont buy it that Buzz is "the splash", I could be wrong though

Collier11
3/27/2011, 02:29 PM
BTW, I wouldnt mind seeing a team that plays like VCU plays, damn they are aggressive

Quik Sand
3/27/2011, 02:32 PM
BTW, I wouldnt mind seeing a team that plays like VCU plays, damn they are aggressiveAgreed. I love his intensity and belief in his players. Who are some you have in mind as a splash type hire?

Collier11
3/27/2011, 02:35 PM
Dream hire, Stevens from Butler

yankee
3/27/2011, 02:40 PM
Dream hire, Stevens from Butler

That's my dream hire too, but we gotta be realistic. ;)

That's why I really wanted Buzz to come here. His energy would reinvigorate the fanbase and so would the winning. Now who do we turn to? I don't want some mediocre no name coach. It's like why even fire Capel?

Collier11
3/27/2011, 02:42 PM
at this point, why not just go with Evans from UCO if we arent gonna get Stevens or Painter from Purdue or someone like that

yankee
3/27/2011, 02:49 PM
at this point, why not just go with Evans from UCO if we arent gonna get Stevens or Painter from Purdue or someone like that

Yea I can see that point of view. If we're not going to get a big name, I guess we can just go after Evans. A boom/bust move.

Collier11
3/27/2011, 02:53 PM
Well IMO, Tad Boyle and Gregg Marshall dont do anything for me

zandozan
3/27/2011, 03:04 PM
again, dont get the hype for Buzz...good coa but, better than Capel? Joe C. needs to make a splash and I dont buy it that Buzz is "the splash", I could be wrong though

I think the only real reason Buzz got any hype was his ability to recruit Texas well. Other than that, I don't really like his offensive style. He reminds me a lot of Kelvin. I think for Oklahoma to get the butts back in the seats we need a return to the press and run style of Billy Tubbs. I realize that even in Billy's best days, LNC was only full for big games but it was never shockingly empty as it has been last few years.

Oklahoma needs a real identity that sets it apart. Lots of teams grind it out and play tough D. Not as many trap, press and try to run the other team out of the gym. We used to, I think we can again. Shaka is the guy for me.

OU_Sooners75
3/27/2011, 03:29 PM
So Buzz Williams isn't coming here? Am I reading this right from some of you?

Collier11
3/27/2011, 03:30 PM
he is talking extension with Marquette but it could be posturing, who knows

OU_Sooners75
3/27/2011, 03:31 PM
I think the only real reason Buzz got any hype was his ability to recruit Texas well. Other than that, I don't really like his offensive style. He reminds me a lot of Kelvin. I think for Oklahoma to get the butts back in the seats we need a return to the press and run style of Billy Tubbs. I realize that even in Billy's best days, LNC was only full for big games but it was never shockingly empty as it has been last few years.

Oklahoma needs a real identity that sets it apart. Lots of teams grind it out and play tough D. Not as many trap, press and try to run the other team out of the gym. We used to, I think we can again. Shaka is the guy for me.

The LNC will never be full every game unless they do something to make it a better atmosphere for basketball.

They built the LNC as a multi-sport arena and it sucks to watch a basketball game in.

The school should get rid of the LNC and go with a true basketball arena.

OU_Sooners75
3/27/2011, 03:33 PM
he is talking extension with Marquette but it could be posturing, who knows

Isn't that what all coaches do at their current job before heading elsewhere?

Sure some stay, but like you said, they use that as posturing to get more money out of the school(s) interested in hiring them for their services.

I personally wouldn't mind Buzz being the man (I know I have said differently but that was because of listening to a friend that doesn't like him). But I think we need to go with a coach that will make games entertaining with a possibility of scoring a ton of points (80+ a game) while playing stingy defense.

SoonerMom2
3/27/2011, 03:46 PM
Can someone explain Buzz's buy-out clause when his contract is one year at a time?

OU_Sooners75
3/27/2011, 03:56 PM
Can someone explain Buzz's buy-out clause when his contract is one year at a time?

Why would he agree to one year contracts? Unless it gives him the chance to get better deals after he proves he can win there...and I think that is what he is trying for now...a longer guaranteed contract with Marquette.

Other than that, I do not see how he can have a buy out if he is only signing one year contracts. Unless they fire him or he is hired away before the contract is up.

And even then, if either of those two happened, I am sure his buyout is only what is owed to him to finish the current contract, or a percentage of it.

zandozan
3/27/2011, 04:32 PM
So Buzz Williams isn't coming here? Am I reading this right from some of you?

No one really knows except Buzz and Joe C. Lots of blogger rumors and speculation.

zandozan
3/27/2011, 04:50 PM
The LNC will never be full every game unless they do something to make it a better atmosphere for basketball.

They built the LNC as a multi-sport arena and it sucks to watch a basketball game in.

Well, they aren't going to get rid of LNC. It's simply not going to happen. They invested too much money building the practice facilities and coach offices. Joe C does want to rebuild the LNC from the inside out though. They said it'd cost like $100 million to completely reconfigure the arena. They especially want to create a student section area that can be rowdy, visible and nearer the court. We may have to play in OKC for a season to get it done but it'll definitely be worth it to get a truer basketball arena.

oulucas
3/27/2011, 05:08 PM
Sadly, it seems that what we have come down to is having Buzz as our "dream" hire (realistically) and others who are realistic hires. In my opinion we could have taken another year of Capel rather than try to hire someone this year. When you're "dream hire" finished .500 in conference (even if it IS a great conference) maybe the options aren't very good.

Then again, maybe we get a good coach and it all turns out well. I will, however, for the record state that if we fired Capel only to hire the coach from U-C-Fricking-O then this entire process has ended up to be a clusterf*ck.

OU_Sooners75
3/27/2011, 06:42 PM
Sadly, it seems that what we have come down to is having Buzz as our "dream" hire (realistically) and others who are realistic hires. In my opinion we could have taken another year of Capel rather than try to hire someone this year. When you're "dream hire" finished .500 in conference (even if it IS a great conference) maybe the options aren't very good.

Then again, maybe we get a good coach and it all turns out well. I will, however, for the record state that if we fired Capel only to hire the coach from U-C-Fricking-O then this entire process has ended up to be a clusterf*ck.

And if said coach from "U-C-Fricking-O" turns out to be the winningest coach in OU history, would you say that it was a smart move or still a clusterf*ck process?

We could hire Bill Self and there would be no guarantees that he would turn us around and be vying for national titles.

No coach is.

Vegas Sooner
3/27/2011, 06:47 PM
If Buzz has TX as his dream job, then Oklahoma should not hire him.

It has already been reported. ....you can look it up

OU_Sooners75
3/27/2011, 06:54 PM
If Buzz has TX as his dream job, then Oklahoma should not hire him.

It has already been reported. ....you can look it up

If you can look it up...then why not provide the link? :(

Why should we work our *** off to find something like that? :P

Don't worry, my source tells me the same thing:

http://i51.tinypic.com/j6ualt.jpg

87sooner
3/27/2011, 11:20 PM

it doesn't suck watching bball in the lnc when there is a good coach putting a good product on the floor.
it rocked when wayman played and when stacy/mookie/harvey played..
and it rocked when kelvin took us to the final 4..
i think we've had the nations longest home winning streak multiple times over the years...
it only sucked when capel put a crappy product on the floor...

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 08:04 AM
it doesn't suck watching bball in the lnc when there is a good coach putting a good product on the floor.
it rocked when wayman played and when stacy/mookie/harvey played..
and it rocked when kelvin took us to the final 4..
i think we've had the nations longest home winning streak multiple times over the years...
it only sucked when capel put a crappy product on the floor...

Wrong. It's dark, it's not loud, no visible student section, the court is about a half-mile away from the fans, it looks like **** on TV, and I could go on and on. It's an OUTDATED multi-function arena. It needs to be either torn down (not happening) or completely redone (could happen if they'd quit spending all the $$ on student housing/parking - OU would be great if it wasn't for the effing students...).

87sooner
3/28/2011, 08:20 AM
Wrong. It's dark, it's not loud, no visible student section, the court is about a half-mile away from the fans, it looks like **** on TV, and I could go on and on. It's an OUTDATED multi-function arena. It needs to be either torn down (not happening) or completely redone (could happen if they'd quit spending all the $$ on student housing/parking - OU would be great if it wasn't for the effing students...).

i responded to the following statement...

i don't care what it looks like on tv....and you're wrong...there is not a bad seat in the house...
it's loud when people show up..
home winning streaks of previous coaches prove it's a difficult place for opposing teams to play...
it does not suck to watch a game there...
if you think it does....you should prolly go to the movies instead...

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 08:38 AM
Well I guess you haven't ever been to a good gym then. You should probably get out more often.

87sooner
3/28/2011, 08:42 AM
Well I guess you haven't ever been to a good gym then. You should probably get out more often.

i think i found the problem with our fan support......

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 08:43 AM
I think I found the problem with this board...

87sooner
3/28/2011, 08:55 AM
I think I found the problem with this board...

i suppose it would be much better from your perspective if everyone just agreed with you eh?

badger
3/28/2011, 09:06 AM
Pretty much everyone out there agrees now that Buzz isn't coming here. Sounds more and more like he's staying at Marq. But... I know that's how the Mike Anderson talk started too with Arky - that all signs pointed to him staying at Mizzou, up till he went to Fayetteville :)

Alas, this coaching search is not going as well as other schools, which can't bode well for how Joe C. is going. Several vacancies have been filled at this point, creating new vacancies in the process. Here's what ESPN says this morning:

Georgia Tech hires Dayton's Gregory as coach
Tennessee names Missouri State's Martin coach
Richmond extends coach Mooney through 2021
Bradley hires Kent State's Ford, top MAC coach

Whether or not Joe C was after those coaches, I don't know. All I know is that others aren't waiting for a new coach anymore and now more schools that weren't before are joining the coaching hunt. :(

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 09:17 AM
i suppose it would be much better from your perspective if everyone just agreed with you eh?

Nope. However, it would be better for everyone if certain posters didn't have a need to start new threads about old topics and clutter the board with **** like "buzz. Bank it." Also, it would be better for you if you just accepted the fact that you're wrong on this one. Go to a game at about any other arena and you'll see what I mean.

sooner518
3/28/2011, 09:30 AM
i responded to the following statement...

i don't care what it looks like on tv....and you're wrong...there is not a bad seat in the house...
it's loud when people show up..
home winning streaks of previous coaches prove it's a difficult place for opposing teams to play...
it does not suck to watch a game there...
if you think it does....you should prolly go to the movies instead...

LOL. the LNC is a terrible, TERRIBLE basketball venue. if you think it doesnt, you havent been to a great basketball arena. Go to Cameron Indoor. Or Gallagher Iba. Or Assembly Hall. They are all much much better for creating a good basketball atmosphere.

Lloyd Noble is comparable to the Mabee Center in Tulsa. that is not a good thing.

nativesooner
3/28/2011, 10:06 AM
Sadly, I think us talking so much about Buzz will only get him a raise to stay at Marquette. I don't see him coming here unless he gets 2.5 + Marquette has already said they'd call our 2 and raise us if needed.

badger
3/28/2011, 11:01 AM
LOL. the LNC is a terrible, TERRIBLE basketball venue. if you think it doesnt, you havent been to a great basketball arena. Go to Cameron Indoor. Or Gallagher Iba. Or Assembly Hall. They are all much much better for creating a good basketball atmosphere.

Lloyd Noble is comparable to the Mabee Center in Tulsa. that is not a good thing.

I've been to both Mabee and LNC and Mabee is LOADS worse than LNC. I mean... the seats in that arena look like granny chairs... not knocking granny chairs, but BEIGE... gaaaaah.

I would say Reynolds Center is worse than LNC, but after see a CBI game there, the atmosphere was a lot more intimate. Bigger capacity does not equal better. Having tons of fans crowded into a smaller arena closer to the court was loads of fun.

Speaking of big arenas sucking, I went to GIA when their womens basketball team didn't have Andrea Riley or Coach Budke yet, and we were among about 100, 200 in attendance. When you have bright, BRIGHT empty seats staring back at you in a five figure capacity arena, it feels and looks soooo much worse than, say, a 3k or 5k capacity arena with the same attendance.

I feel like LNC sucks now for the same reason - bright empty seats (and that bright color isn't even our school color, booo) in a big arena that we can't fill. There are other reasons out there that LNC isn't the ideal basketball arena (located a mile away from most of main campus area, the carpet walls that you can't post signs on with the yellow shirts frowning, the seats farther away from the court, etc. etc.), but that's my major problem now - emptiness and brightness.

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 12:24 PM
Last year at the OSU game where we beat them, Lloyd Noble was very loud. I think the worst problem is the donor seats are right on courtside and a lot of them are empty. A new arena would be nice but you need to move the donor seats and allow the students to sit right at courtside IMHO.

badger
3/28/2011, 12:35 PM
move the donor seats and allow the students to sit right at courtside IMHO.

They tried this for at least two years - the CrimZone did not appear to be filled most of the time unfortunately. They discontinued that last year, I think.

I like where the student section is now - next to the band behind one of the rims. That's where it is at most schools. If they're really worried about empty donor seats, how does the other side of the lower bowl look? We could always flip the floor and have the cameras showing the other side of the seats on TV :)

(actually, I'm not sure if we can, but it would be an interesting idea if possible)

87sooner
3/28/2011, 12:36 PM

i never said the lnc was a great arena or as nice as those you mentioned.
i refuted the statement that "it sucks to watch a game in the lnc".

it sucks to watch a game in lnc that we have NO chance of winning....or that we get beat...

i loved watching wayman play there...
i loved watching king/grant/mookie play there...
i loved the very long home win streak we had under sampson...

badger
3/28/2011, 12:42 PM
Much love and respect to the LNC. I think the players and coaches love the practice and training facilities there and the gameday atmosphere (so long as attendance isn't too shabby).

There are better venues, yes, but is it because of the venue itself, or the team and fanbase occupying it?

87sooner
3/28/2011, 07:23 PM
Nope. However, it would be better for everyone if certain posters didn't have a need to start new threads about old topics and clutter the board with **** like "buzz. Bank it." Also, it would be better for you if you just accepted the fact that you're wrong on this one. Go to a game at about any other arena and you'll see what I mean.

you closed my thread because you said it was a buzz thread yet i never even mentioned buzz...not sure if you're paranoid or just have an axe to grind because my "guarantee" was solid info.

and you're worried about "clutter" on this board when it's bean dead all season and now it finally has a little traffic?
can you point me to a link with the board rules regarding thread starting? being a "noob" i really need to read up...

and i don't need to go to a game at other arenas...
i've been to games at the lnc since the early 80's and it only sucked the last two years...

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 07:33 PM
you closed my thread because you said it was a buzz thread yet i never even mentioned buzz...not sure if you're paranoid or just have an axe to grind because my "guarantee" was solid info.

and you're worried about "clutter" on this board when it's bean dead all season and now it finally has a little traffic?
can you point me to a link with the board rules regarding thread starting? being a "noob" i really need to read up...

and i don't need to go to a game at other arenas...
i've been to games at the lnc since the early 80's and it only sucked the last two years...

never mentioned buzz...right

paranoid, axe to grind...right

your guarantee is solid...right

clutter, been dead...right

now it has traffic...right

25 buzz threads but I need to start another one for some dumb reason...not

87sooner
3/28/2011, 07:39 PM
never mentioned buzz...right

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152652

badger
3/28/2011, 07:48 PM
just put what your thread's OP was in your sig... then it'll show up everywhere :D

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 07:52 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152652

You know, I respect cleverness. Retardism? Not so much. Not clever. Very retarded. Sheez. Get that weak **** outta here.

Vegas Sooner
3/29/2011, 02:34 AM
....no he won't.

Sorry that it sucks, but they did want to fire him before he got into the tourney.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 12:51 PM
Vegas, got a linky to prove this?

sperry
3/29/2011, 01:22 PM
I am really doubting we'll end up with a better coach than Capel out of this deal. I think Joe C dropped the ball on this one.

87sooner
3/29/2011, 01:59 PM
I am really doubting we'll end up with a better coach than Capel out of this deal. I think Joe C dropped the ball on this one.

any coach we get will be better than capel..
may not make the big exciting splash some people want...
but i have no doubt the bleeding in the program will stop...

not sure why you're so negative before hearing ANY news.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 02:37 PM
any coach we get will be better than capel..
may not make the big exciting splash some people want...
but i have no doubt the bleeding in the program will stop...

not sure why you're so negative before hearing ANY news.

:rolleyes: