PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Press Conference

jersey sooner
3/22/2011, 10:42 PM
Had waaaaaaaaay too much time on my hands yesterday...but if anyone didn't want to listen to it, here you go. This is anything I found remotely noteworthy. It's mostly just BS from BS, but there's a few interesting points. Enjoy...

...I feel that in all the positions we lose guys we have quality guys ready to step up and play

Can you talk about the move of Colvin to safety, and is that going to be an experimental thing, or can you guys see him as a safety in his future?

It's experimental, but I believe it's going to be great for us....that position in todays world, much like we moved Jonathan Nelson from corner to that position because of his speed and athleticism, the way that strong safety plays in todays world, the guy has to have corner like ability, to run, to change direction ...because of the nature of so many spread out teams that position is usually out to the split side of the field where theres 2, 3 receivers, and alot of times even if he's playing zone and gets some underneath coverage, anything down the middle of the field he's in a man position against a speed receiver and a slot receiver....so it's not like the old days of 2 te's, where that guys taking on blockers, filling holes, that isn't so much of the position anymore....80, 90 percent of the time he's out in the spread position ....so that worked really well for us with Johnathan, and Aaron is an excellent athlete, we saw that a year ago, and believe that's going to be great for him and the team

For the love of God, please let Bama lose a game and the quack attack run the table.

Do you believe Jamell Flemming will be back and what would happen with Colvin if he does come back?

Since he's not here i'm not gonna talk about him since I'm not sure whether i'm allowed to or not, so i'll just talk about the guys that are here right now

Doesn't sound too promising...

several years ago in 05 after you hit some of your problems during the season you alluded to the fact that you saw some of this building in the offseason as early as January in some of the lack of committment or whatever...what have you seen in january february, and here in the second and third week of march...what have you seen to make you think this is a good group

well theres no comparison...look at all the guys we lost of the 2004 season, so we had a bunch of guys coming back in 2005 that really hadn't played much, if at all, that thought they were like the guys in 2004 and at the end of the day they hadn't earned that, they hadn't earned that.. on the field in experience, gaining the strength and speed in the weight room, to have those expectations...and i didn't feel at that time that we really overall, the players work habits were where they had been in 2003 04 and some of the better years that we've had and again I think alot of it was immaturity..thinking just because you're here it happens....these guys have played alot, these guys that are coming back, the experience that they have, have played alot on the field, do know what it takes...in the winter their attitude and all has been much like it was a year ago in that they were a really fun group to coach because they accepted coaching they pushed their self, they like being on the field, they like competing and they really have done that through the winter

This I found very interesting. I never heard this, and it kind of sounds like he didn't have control of the 05 team. A little bit worrisome...

Can you talk about guys that ended the season injured...Ronnell Lewis, Roy Finch, Calhoun, Dejuan Miller...what their status is at this point?

Roy is expected to go...Ronnell is expected to go, though we want to be smart on how much we give him, but right now, he went through the whole second half of our winter with no problems, and is feeling good, so he's really been cleared to go...Dejuan is expected to be cleared this week, if not today...Jermie isn't quite ready, but healing fine and doing well

Good.

...Millard, Ratterree, they weren't cleared because of injury?

Trey Millard and Ratterree...they won't get any spring ball...but they're healing fine, and it's just the nature of that...it takes about 4 monthes for them to get beyond it

Not good. When the hell did Millard get hurt?

You had three fresman that graduated early to go through spring, from what you know of it already how have they done?

They've done really well, they handled the workouts well which always is a big indicator...alot of times a guy will come in and can't handle the workout...but these guys all managed it pretty well

What about one of the first impressions of Brandon Williams?

Very exciting guy to be around, and to coach, really competititve.. you watch him and he's one of those guys, he's got great power and strength, can run forever...we have some one on one competitive situations in front of the team and he really stood out...very very competitive and tough...he's got a bunch of talent, so he's going to be exciting to watch...we're very optimistic about him

The absence of the word special is definitely noticeable.

Before the injury in the Fiesta Bowl, Ronnell was playing really well, like the last 3, 4 games, can you talk about his development and how excited you guys are to see him?

It was great to see his natural ability really just start to happen, of course theres a lot of thought that goes into, but really the best players just play instinctively...he just got to where he was finally comfortable in the defense, what we're asking him to do, the different assignments...in the end he really showed it, he really came on and played well in the last 4 or 5 games, and he'll only get better from it, the more experience he now has on the field...he's always gaining strength and power, if that's at all possible

Music to my ears.

Would you prefer to be better and deeper at defensive tackle (what a jackass lol) or are you fine going ahead with the 50 front and doing those things?

No, we'll work in and out of both...we've got plenty of depth there now at the defensive tackle position to play our 4 man front...it's just what we feel in different games what, what we feel gives us a better advantage, and how we want to play...so still we'll work both of them

Then there was the kicking question

We still have that?

Yea where are you, what have you seen?

We'll see...those guys say they've been in there workin hard...I'm not allowed to be in there when they're kicking but we'll see how hard they've been working once we get out there today...but in all fairness I think it's fair to say that Jimmy really did a great job for us a year ago, made some clutch kicks...so he doesn't have a 50 yard leg, and that's ok, if he can be great in the intermediate to short range it gives us a big boost...hopefully we can find one of these guys to come on and be better with the longer range, is what we'll be looking for, and a little more strength kicking off...so there wil be alot of focus on that with us here in the spring, and whoever we can find coming in here next fall

Is Tress still the kickoff guy?

We'll see, sometimes that really strains his leg, and then it doesn't help him punting the ball...Patrick still has the biggest leg if he can get a little more consistency in hitting his kickoffs, so hopefully when we get out here in the spring he will have improved some through the winter

Jesus Christ, Bob. How hard is it to find a high school kid who can kick 50 yards and get him laid on campus?

You seemed to get in a situation last year where if it was a long field go situation you didn't have a problem going for it on 4th down, is there some benefits to that?

Yea if you make it

But have you ever thought with your coaches when evaluating you just don't go for it enough on 4th down?

To a degree... I think some of it depends on, for the most part we have always played good defense, so if you are playing good defense I don't think the risk reward of giving them the ball in good field position, whether it be at the 50, 40, or 45...you see all the percentages a teams percentage of scoring the closer they are inside of 60 inside of 50 the percentages go up so to me the percentages still matter, and if your playing good defense, you'd rather back somebody up and make them have to go a ways to earn that, or a few first downs to earn their points...so if you're not playing good defense I think you're right, theres a lot of merit to, they're gonna be back at the 50 in 2 plays anyway...and to be honest theres been games we've gone into, I made coach Wilson aware times last year, make sure we have enough 4th down calls, and a few situations in particular inside the 40, because we aren't going to go for a long field goal, and if it's 4th and medium to short and I feel that our opportunity is good to make it, we need to be ready to go for it

This is all fine and dandy, but he made it sound like there is only one side to the coin. I hope he knows that if your defense is playing well, you also have more leeway to try and throw a knock out hay maker. Because your defense is playing well. And they can bail you out.

Can you talk about any changes that Josh Huepel might bring, you've got backs there that might do well in different types of offenses

In the end we're going to be very similar to what we've always done...again I think part of spring is you evolve and start to see which players are really good doing what, and try to always play to players strengths...but to me the basis of the offense still revolves around primarily what your quarterback does the best, and from there your tailback, you go back to the days before adrian peterson and we operated more in a shotgun, when we had AD he was best behind the quarterback about 8 yards deep, and we did more of that, and play actioned off of him...in the end we'll kind of see when we get these backs out there and what they're doing the best, and Landry is most comfortable with. but it won't change alot as you guys know we have a lot of formations we are under center about as much as we're not, so in the end of the day who's in there and what seems to fit them the best is what we'll play too, we have a lot of variety there to go to, and we'll see how much of what we like the best

Are you going to scrap the fullback anytime soon?

Heck no, he's one of the best players on our team...so I'd like to see us enhance more, with Trey he's such a good athlete, using him even more at HBack or even Tight End, just to keep him on the field, because he's that type of player

How do you evaluate how physical your team was a year ago, were you please with it, do you want it better this year?

It's never good enough, so of course to me it's the name of the game, we're always working for it, but we were physical enough to win the big xii and the fiesta bowl, but we were'nt physical enough to win all games...that's part of what we'll really be working on and emphasizing here in the spring

Hope this is BS, and not BS.

Were you too inconsistant on the line, especially in the interior, last year?

That's fair to say, maybe not just interior but just across the board...and defensively, when you look up front in a couple of the games we lost, they ran the football on us more than we're used to, and it hurt us, it changed the game...so both sides of the ball, particularyly the games that we lost, we were'nt as physical and solid as we needed to be

Do you feel that at defensive tackle they just need to mature, do you think you have the guys there they just have to mature?

I believe they should be better and improve, but it's more than just them, some of those problems we had in those games wasn't just them, it was D ends, it could have been backers at times, so everyone could have had a hand in it

Red zone offense was a problem in scoring from close, in your evaluation what did you see you need to do better in that regard?

A lot of it execution wise get's down to players were targeting who we're coming off on and then technique, being in a stronger better position to move people, so it's something we'll get a lot of work on here in the spring and emphasize, so it's a little bit of both it's a little bit of mental, who were going after and how we're doing it, and the other part is even if you know what you're doing getting the right leverage and being able to move somebody

I really hope Josh scraps the hurry-up I off tackle run.

Have you talked to the club any about all the offseason hype, being ranked number one, and then taking it a step further as a staff, Texas plummetted lasty year, do you ever look at what happened to them and then talk internally about what you need to do, and how fragile things can be?

Sure, I'm not speaking at all about Texas, I wasn't there and don't know any of their deal, but in the end we're always talking regardless of what our expectations or rankings are, our expectations internally are always pretty high, and our whole focus in talking to them is what are we going to go do about it, how do we go about earning this, that's what we did in the winter and felt great about the way we came out of that...now it's the second part of the whole year process spring ball so how are we going to change and develop as a team with what we do on the field, so we talk alot to our guys about earning what you get, they've had that kind of attitude so we'll see as we move foreward

Austin Box and Tom Wort kind of had a going back and forth at the middle linebacker spot last year, do you anticipate that being the case again this year?

sure, those guys are excellent competitiors that played alot, we'll see who can be the most consistent through the spring and summer, but sure I expect those guys to keep competing

I hope we don't have to rely on Tom to be our full-time Mike.

rainiersooner
3/22/2011, 11:34 PM
Wow - thanks for the post. I wish I had that kind of time on MY hands! :)

jersey sooner
3/22/2011, 11:39 PM
Haha, no problem man. Works been extremely slow so I figured I'd do something really important like dissect a Bob Stoops press conference lol

BoulderSooner79
3/23/2011, 10:17 AM
This I found very interesting. I never heard this, and it kind of sounds like he didn't have control of the 05 team. A little bit worrisome...

What Stoop's said about the '05 team is just coach speak. Coaches seem incapable of saying "we were not a very good team to start that season". They have to attribute it to something they can control and therefore change in the future; just a control freak thing. My opinion is that the staff did a very good job that year starting with the most inexperienced squad in Bob's tenure and ending the year a pretty darn good team.

agoo758
3/23/2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the thread man. Didn't even realize there was a press conference till you posted. Great to hear Bob's voice again! :)

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 11:02 AM
Jersey, how does not speaking of Flemming fall into the "Don't sound so promising" aspect of things?

I think Stoops stated it pretty clearly when he said he was not sure if he could talk about him since he is not there (at OU) when it comes to what was asked in the question.

picasso
3/23/2011, 12:09 PM
I heard that Flemming should be fine if he does what's needed over the summer.
I also think Jersey reads too much into things.:D

adoniijahsooner
3/23/2011, 12:09 PM
very exciting guy to be around, and to coach, really competititve.. you watch him and he's one of those guys, he's got great power and strength, can run forever...we have some one on one competitive situations in front of the team and he really stood out...very very competitive and tough...he's got a bunch of talent, so he's going to be exciting to watch...we're very optimistic about him

So you ignored all the good things he said, because he didnt use the word special?

picasso
3/23/2011, 12:12 PM
So you ignored all the good things he said, because he didnt use the word special?

Yeah, he more or less put on a show in competitive drills.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 12:18 PM
What Stoop's said about the '05 team is just coach speak. Coaches seem incapable of saying "we were not a very good team to start that season". They have to attribute it to something they can control and therefore change in the future; just a control freak thing. My opinion is that the staff did a very good job that year starting with the most inexperienced squad in Bob's tenure and ending the year a pretty darn good team.

That was my first impression too, and it probably was just what he had to say. But the the way he said it, he made it sound like the entire teams attitude was they were assuming on dominating the way we had the past 2 years, without doing much of anything themselves to make that happen. But if what he said was actually true, then I might not want him running this ship. His most important task, arguably, is handling the teams' psyche. I don't understand why he would rather make himself sound so bad than just say "we weren't that good." Which is true. We really weren't. Knowing that, I'm just going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume you are right in that this was nothing more than coach speak. I sure hope it was.

Jersey, how does not speaking of Flemming fall into the "Don't sound so promising" aspect of things?

I think Stoops stated it pretty clearly when he said he was not sure if he could talk about him since he is not there (at OU) when it comes to what was asked in the question.

Just reading the words can be deceptive, and I definitely can see how you could come up with that. It wasn't what he said though, but how he said it. If you listened to his tone, it sounded a lot more like "I don't want to talk about it" than "I've been told I'm not allowed to talk about it." At least that's how I took it. I was just really hoping for even something a little positive to indicate we might actually be able to get our All-Big 12 corner on the field before the start of the season. My bad though, I should have included that.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 12:22 PM

Haha, na I was just messin. He obviously sounded excited about BW, and I can't wait to see him. But we all know when Stoops calls a player special, he's usually telling us who is about to be a super star.

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2011, 12:25 PM
What a coach actually says means very little. I don't know why we try to parse his words so carefully. If Stoops never held a press conference that would be okay with me. I am sure that behind the scenes he knows what he's doing -- he doesn't need my approval.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 12:29 PM
What a coach actually says means very little. I don't know why we try to parse his words so carefully. If Stoops never held a press conference that would be okay with me. I am sure that behind the scenes he knows what he's doing -- he doesn't need my approval.

In other news, water is wet. Next time you post in one of my threads Lizzy, at least try to say something of value.

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2011, 12:32 PM
In other news, water is wet. Next time you post in one of my threads Lizzy, at least try to say something of value.

Look who's talking, Mr. "He Didn't Use the Word 'Special.'

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 12:33 PM
You take things way too literally. Aren't you supposed to be intelligent?

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2011, 12:34 PM
The absence of the word special is definitely noticeable.

Sounds pretty literal to me.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 12:37 PM
"They're definitely not on the court, Cotton. Their absence is noticeable."

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2011, 12:39 PM
"They're definitely not on the court, Cotton. Their absence is noticeable."

Sure, okay. :rolleyes:

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 12:44 PM
You should watch better movies.

BoulderSooner79
3/23/2011, 12:45 PM
That was my first impression too, and it probably was just what he had to say. But the the way he said it, he made it sound like the entire teams attitude was they were assuming on dominating the way we had the past 2 years, without doing much of anything themselves to make that happen. But if what he said was actually true, then I might not want him running this ship. His most important task, arguably, is handling the teams' psyche. I don't understand why he would rather make himself sound so bad than just say "we weren't that good." Which is true. We really weren't. Knowing that, I'm just going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume you are right in that this was nothing more than coach speak. I sure hope it was....

No hope needed - that was 'effin 2005 season. Just look at the results since then. Coaches cannot control lack of experience other than putting the players on the field to gain it (along with the hard knocks). The average fan cannot accept this, so coaches are forced to make vague explanations like this one. Look at Mack with his "entitlement" theme to explain last season. The only folks with feelings of entitlement are the ones in the stands wearing that putrid burnt orange. Mack can't say "we graduated a bunch of star players and their replacements were inexperienced and maybe not as good as their hype". He also won't admit his coaching staff disarray was a big factor too because then it becomes directly his fault. So he makes up this vague entitlement thing that cannot be measured to placate stupid fans.

Before you go getting all huffy about comparing Bob to Mack, I'm just pointing out they are in similar high profile jobs paying big bucks - accompanied by similar fan expectations. They share similar pressure. I'll also point out Bob's '05 team finished strong with a bowl win against a 10 win team while Mack's '10 team finished with a whimper forcing Mack to clear out his staff. So no, results were not the same.

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2011, 12:56 PM
No hope needed - that was 'effin 2005 season. Just look at the results since then. Coaches cannot control lack of experience other than putting the players on the field to gain it (along with the hard knocks). The average fan cannot accept this, so coaches are forced to make vague explanations like this one. Look at Mack with his "entitlement" theme to explain last season. The only folks with feelings of entitlement are the ones in the stands wearing that putrid burnt orange. Mack can't say "we graduated a bunch of star players and their replacements were inexperienced and maybe not as good as their hype". He also won't admit his coaching staff disarray was a big factor too because then it becomes directly his fault. So he makes up this vague entitlement thing that cannot be measured to placate stupid fans.

Before you go getting all huffy about comparing Bob to Mack, I'm just pointing out they are in similar high profile jobs paying big bucks - accompanied by similar fan expectations. They share similar pressure. I'll also point out Bob's '05 team finished strong with a bowl win against a 10 win team while Mack's '10 team finished with a whimper forcing Mack to clear out his staff. So no, results were not the same.

You got it.

Reporters continually ask questions that almost demand a vanilla response. A coach cannot say what he really thinks, so why even care what he says? We will either beat our competition this year or we won't, and what a coach says in a press conference has nothing to do with it.

agoo758
3/23/2011, 01:00 PM
If Stoops never held a press conference that would be okay with me.

Meh. I find them interesting enough to watch.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 01:07 PM

No, I totally agree with everything you've said. And I am 95% sure the lack of success in 05 was nothing more than the players we had on the field. Llike you pointed out, it's absolutely evident in the way we got better as the year went on. But I don't think Barry would have had a problem just flat out saying that we weren't that good. I know Bob's the face of a million dollar program, and it wouldn't help our image to make it sound like we're ever short on talent. But that doesn't mean he needs to go to the point where he basically says he's incompetent at his job. I don't like hearing him say his players were lazy, entitled, and not doing everything in their power to win a championship. Doesn't he know that's exactly what he's here for?

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 01:09 PM
Lizzy, you should let the big boys talk now. Run along little lizard, run along.

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2011, 01:18 PM
Lizzy, you should let the big boys talk now. Run along little lizard, run along.

You're one of the big boys? Oh, brother! :rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
3/23/2011, 01:19 PM
No, I totally agree with everything you've said. And I am 95% sure the lack of success in 05 was nothing more than the players we had on the field. Llike you pointed out, it's absolutely evident in the way we got better as the year went on. But I don't think Barry would have had a problem just flat out saying that we weren't that good. I know Bob's the face of a million dollar program, and it wouldn't help our image to make it sound like we're ever short on talent. But that doesn't mean he needs to go to the point where he basically says he's incompetent at his job. I don't like hearing him say his players were lazy, entitled, and not doing everything in their power to win a championship. Doesn't he know that's exactly what he's here for?

Barry and Bob are *very* different people, no denying that. Barry was much more the entertainer and Bob more the typical high strung HC. I have no idea why he said what he did, but watching the '05 season told the real story. I didn't say we were short on talent in '05, just young and inexperienced. A lot of the Fr/So from that squad were at the core of very good teams for several season to come, so plenty of talent. Getting all the snaps in practice along with playing time "cured" them and it didn't even take a full season to do it.

EDIT: I'll add that I really believe that Bob like to mess with the media guys which means he'll also mess with the fans that it too seriously.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 01:27 PM
Well, raw talent and developed talent are 2 different things. Just ask ole Mack. And if you actually watch the presser, it's hilarious how much his blood pressure rises when these jackasses asked him a dumb question.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:33 PM
Just reading the words can be deceptive, and I definitely can see how you could come up with that. It wasn't what he said though, but how he said it. If you listened to his tone, it sounded a lot more like "I don't want to talk about it" than "I've been told I'm not allowed to talk about it." At least that's how I took it. I was just really hoping for even something a little positive to indicate we might actually be able to get our All-Big 12 corner on the field before the start of the season. My bad though, I should have included that.

And in knowing he was not sure if he could talk about it can lead to a deception in the way he spoke about it.

If you are not sure you are suppose to talk about something, and you are trying to sidestep the question, I am pretty sure you would say it in a manner that would make it feel that it was not a promising situation.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 01:44 PM
I really doubt heading into the first press conference of the year, "he knew he was unsure" if he was allowed to talk about probably the biggest offseason story to this point. I didn't add it to my post, but he first started to say "I'm not gonna talk about it", but stopped himself before it came out and changed it to "I don't know if I can talk about it, so I won't." If you watch it, you'll see what I mean.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:47 PM
I really doubt heading into the first press conference of the year, "he knew he was unsure" if he was allowed to talk about probably the biggest offseason story to this point. I didn't add it to my post, but he first started to say "I'm not gonna talk about it", but stopped himself before it came out and changed it to "I don't know if I can talk about it, so I won't." If you watch it, you'll see what I mean.

Well, you have your opinions. You also have your pessimistic views too.
;)

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:49 PM

To be honest, even if I were to watch it, I would not over analyze what was said.

Maybe he is just tired of talking about it and ready to talk about who he currently has available to him on his roster?

And technically since his not enrolled at OU he would have to re-recruit him, wouldn't he? And so it would fall under NCAA recruitment rules?

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 01:49 PM
What's pessimistic?

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not over analyzing it, just analyzing it. Plus, this was the first time he had to talk about it the media.

"I haven't had anything yet... so how can I have some more of nothing?"
"You're killing me Smalls!"

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:56 PM
What's pessimistic?

well since you asked: :P

pes·si·mis·tic

   [pes-uh-mis-tik]
–adjective pertaining to or characterized by pessimism; gloomy: a pessimistic outlook.

pes·si·mism

   [pes-uh-miz-uhhttp://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngm]
–noun 1. the tendency to see, anticipate, or emphasize only bad or undesirable outcomes, results, conditions, problems, etc.: His pessimism about the future of our country depresses me.

2. the doctrine that the existing world is the worst of all possible worlds, or that all things naturally tend to evil.

3. the belief that the evil and pain in the world are not compensated for by goodness and happiness.

Read your OP and tell me.

Not exactly sure what you thought when Stoops did not use he word "special" when talking about Williams...and then I feel you have this feeling that Flemming will not be able to make it back or that it doesnt look promising.

Just my opinion though.

To me, you are being pessimistic.

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 01:57 PM
I'm not over analyzing it, just analyzing it. Plus, this was the first time he had to talk about it the media.

"I haven't had anything yet... so how can I have some more of nothing?"
"You're killing me Smalls!"

Actually, he addressed the issue when it first came about. So no this is not the first time he has had to talk about it with the media.

“Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple.”

I can do the quote thing too.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 02:08 PM
It was the second time he had to address losing his (arguably) best coverage guy before the Pass Happy 10 schedule even starts??? Oh man, he probably wasn't even expecting to be asked about it. All I'm saying is that with the tone of his answer, I heard "Jamell is out of sight and out of mind." Which I was really hoping wouldn't be the case. And how does your quote apply to what we're talking about?

OU_Sooners75
3/23/2011, 02:17 PM
It was the second time he had to address losing his (arguably) best coverage guy before the Pass Happy 10 schedule even starts??? Oh man, he probably wasn't even expecting to be asked about it. All I'm saying is that with the tone of his answer, I heard "Jamell is out of sight and out of mind." Which I was really hoping wouldn't be the case. And how does your quote apply to what we're talking about?

And apparently you don't follow along real well.

If a player is not on your roster or even enrolled at your school...I do not think you can actually speak about him coming back.

I think there is a rule that makes it where coaches cannot speak about players.

jersey sooner
3/23/2011, 02:34 PM
Not exactly sure what you thought when Stoops did not use he word "special" when talking about Williams...

How did this go over everyones head? Stoops calls the case of diarrhea his dog came down with last year special. So no, I'm not literally worried that he didn't use the word. Just more surprised than anything he didn't throw it in there.

and then I feel you have this feeling that Flemming will not be able to make it back or that it doesnt look promising.

Yea, I do. I don't think we're going to see him on the field next year. What's your gut feeling on it?

And apparently you don't follow along real well.

If a player is not on your roster or even enrolled at your school...I do not think you can actually speak about him coming back.

I think there is a rule that makes it where coaches cannot speak about players.

The NCAA sucks. But I doubt even they would have a problem if he slightly addressed this. If Stoops thought there was some light to the situation, I think he would have hinted at it.

Leroy Lizard
3/24/2011, 02:21 AM
I'm worried. This '05 season is just not shaping up well.

AlbqSooner
3/24/2011, 06:27 AM
Next time you post in one of my threads Lizzy, at least try to say something of value.

Looking at your post count I will assume that you are fairly new here. To that fact I will attribute your inability to grasp the absurdity of this statement.:D

Leroy Lizard
3/24/2011, 10:26 AM
Looking at your post count I will assume that you are fairly new here. To that fact I will attribute your inability to grasp the absurdity of this statement.:D

You were not impressed with the 40 or so posts trying to get me to answer a Sooner trivia question?

Surely you must have seen the value in his attempt to make hay that I was disappointed OU lost in 1971. That was gold.

badger
3/24/2011, 11:11 AM
Speaking of Stoops interviews, anyone else catch Stoops on Sports Animal this morning? Here's an excerpt:

Animal Idiot: So I know you grew up in Cleveland and...
Stoops: I'm from Youngstown, which is about an hour from Cleveland...
Idiot: Right, right, so growing up in Ohio were you a Cleveland Cavaliers fan?
Stoops: I'm not sure they were there yet...
Idiot: Um, well, I didn't know if they were an ABA franchise before joining the NBA...

Stoops was born in 1960, the Cavs, who were never a part of the ABA, started in the NBA in 1970. NP and I just kind of were awestruck by the fact that everyone hasn't had the fact that Stoops is from Youngstown drilled into their head by now after all of the Pelini/Stoops family coaching stories.

Mississippi Sooner
3/24/2011, 11:18 AM
Speaking of Stoops interviews, anyone else catch Stoops on Sports Animal this morning? Here's an excerpt:

Animal Idiot: So I know you grew up in Cleveland and...
Stoops: I'm from Youngstown, which is about an hour from Cleveland...
Idiot: Right, right, so growing up in Ohio were you a Cleveland Cavaliers fan?
Stoops: I'm not sure they were there yet...
Idiot: Um, well, I didn't know if they were an ABA franchise before joining the NBA...

Stoops was born in 1960, the Cavs, who were never a part of the ABA, started in the NBA in 1970. NP and I just kind of were awestruck by the fact that everyone hasn't had the fact that Stoops is from Youngstown drilled into their head by now after all of the Pelini/Stoops family coaching stories.

So, when you were growing up in Minneapolis, did you ever meet Kirby Puckett?

badger
3/24/2011, 11:23 AM
So, when you were growing up in Minneapolis, did you ever meet Kirby Puckett?

When people heard I was going to go to college in Oklahoma, they were all like "don't get sucked up in a twister" :D

:mad: of course then, when I get to OU, people are like "You're from Wisconsin, so the only reason you'd go to OU would be to major in meteorology, right?"

Leroy Lizard
3/24/2011, 11:46 AM
When people heard I was going to go to college in Oklahoma, they were all like "don't get sucked up in a twister" :D

:mad: of course then, when I get to OU, people are like "You're from Wisconsin, so the only reason you'd go to OU would be to major in meteorology, right?"

Do you have strong hands from milking all those cows?

Oh no, what have I done? :eek: