PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Silence

soonerbub
3/22/2011, 05:15 PM
She's gone

http://vrdcimage.restaurant.com/microsites/342389photo1.jpg

bulldozed today I didn't wanna post a pic.

:sad:

met a lotta fun college chicks & had muy brews & burgers with ya

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 05:18 PM
Uh, bye.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:20 PM
I'd never thought it would acctually happen...they've been talking about it forever. I didn't have the connection that a lot of you old guys had to it though. By the time I was in college I didn't consider it the hip place to be on the weekend or before a football game.

soonerbub
3/22/2011, 05:29 PM
nice (http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-occonnells-last-stand-story,0,6209196.story)

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 05:29 PM
When we lost Denco's it was a sad deal. O'Connell's? Not so much. Hell, they already moved a couple years ago. It ain't like they're actually gone.

I can still get an ETW. Can I still get a Darlin'? that's what I thought.

MamaMia
3/22/2011, 05:32 PM
It was fun while it lasted.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:32 PM
nice (http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-occonnells-last-stand-story,0,6209196.story)

Fitting that someone played taps

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:33 PM
When we lost Denco's it was a sad deal. O'Connell's? Not so much. Hell, they already moved a couple years ago. It ain't like they're actually gone.

Restuants move all the time, no big deal. The new location is very nice and in prime location. I'm sure O'Connell's was well compenstated for their piece of land.

soonerbub
3/22/2011, 05:34 PM
salt in the wound man

I just miss old Norman--not a fan of everything bunched up on Campus Corner

OU Engineer
3/22/2011, 05:35 PM
yea the new oconnells is full of gelled hair, graphic tee shirt wearing juicehead *********s.

the old one was awesome. even the shuffleboard table had a slight curve to it that you really had to practice to master.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 05:36 PM
Place I miss is the Calmez in Clinton
Now that made me cry

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 05:37 PM
Restuants move all the time, no big deal. The new location is very nice and in prime location. I'm sure O'Connell's was well compenstated for their piece of land.

And then some. Ol' Stewart wouldn't be standing out there waxing nostalgic with his drink if he wasn't counting the $$ at the same time.

In all honesty, that corner has been a blight for years. Yes, they had Pad Thai, but other than that, pretty much ghetto. "ooh, but they had giant tubs of beer and we used to come out at the half and suck down some and it was so groovy..." Meh. Time to move on. Besides, carry your flask into the game. Sit down, have a drink, and enjoy the game. Why spend the 2nd quarter and then the 3rd quarter dashing across the street for a ****ty bud light?

soonerbub
3/22/2011, 05:38 PM
Now that made me cry

go on :pop:

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 05:40 PM
yea the new oconnells is full of gelled hair, graphic tee shirt wearing juicehead *********s.

the old one was awesome. even the shuffleboard table had a slight curve to it that you really had to practice to master.

Oh. You must be getting old, because every place down there is full of gelled hair dimwits. The same people from the old place go to the new place. You haven't been in Norman for a while - or at least at the bars. Right?

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:42 PM
And then some. Ol' Stewart wouldn't be standing out there waxing nostalgic with his drink if he wasn't counting the $$ at the same time.

In all honesty, that corner has been a blight for years. Yes, they had Pad Thai, but other than that, pretty much ghetto. "ooh, but they had giant tubs of beer and we used to come out at the half and suck down some and it was so groovy..." Meh. Time to move on. Besides, carry your flask into the game. Sit down, have a drink, and enjoy the game. Why spend the 2nd quarter and then the 3rd quarter dashing across the street for a ****ty bud light?

You can't even leave nowadays so other than being able to sit there and watch games right before the OU game starts there is no benefit to it's location. If I drank during the game I would just bring in the flask anyways instead of paying 5 bucks for a watered down can of Bud light.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 05:55 PM
go on :pop:

Oh the stories i could tell. It was on the Circuit :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :cool:

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 06:25 PM

With two lookin 'atcha.

Anybody ever see Green Goddess salad dressing anymore?

Turd_Ferguson
3/22/2011, 06:33 PM
With two lookin 'atcha.

Anybody ever see Green Goddess salad dressing anymore?Hell I thought ya could still buy it???? I am get'n old:mad:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xk-PkZrmeos/SckZCTcnwYI/AAAAAAAACOU/ZpEh-R6ILRM/s320/Kraft-Seven-Seas-Green-Goddess-salad-dressing.jpg

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 06:38 PM
With two lookin 'atcha.

Oh my. I just came. Pass me a cig.

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 06:40 PM
Was it green?

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 06:42 PM
It were.

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 06:55 PM
With chips?

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2011, 07:04 PM
So what are they putting in its place? I hope it's a Dollar Store. That would be awesome!

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 07:08 PM
Parking garage.

They'll probably charge you a dollar.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 07:20 PM
Parking garage.

They'll probably charge you a dollar.

Much need for the students and football fans. If the city of Norman banned parking on people's yards most people would be ****ed for the game. This will help with that a bit.

sooner59
3/22/2011, 07:29 PM
They said they were making room for OU athletic facilities.

sooner59
3/22/2011, 07:31 PM
With two lookin 'atcha.

Actually I saw some at Wal-Mart in OKC like a month ago. I don't know if they are bringing it back or if they were just testing it to see if they should. I've never had it and was already stocked up on salad dressing, so I didn't bother. What's it taste like?

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 07:32 PM
Actually I saw some at Wal-Mart in OKC like a month ago. I don't know if they are bringing it back or if they were just testing it to see if they should. I've never had it and was already stocked up on it, so I didn't bother. What's it taste like?

I've only had it with my Darlin's! Not sure.

AlbqSooner
3/22/2011, 07:53 PM
Sat in Denco's one night and watched a durnk guy eat a Darlin with two looking atcha. He ate the entire thing - - - with his eyes closed and his chin down.:D

the_ouskull
3/22/2011, 08:08 PM
Oh. You must be getting old, because every place down there is full of gelled hair dimwits. The same people from the old place go to the new place. You haven't been in Norman for a while - or at least at the bars. Right?

Not at O'Connell's. I tried to go to the new place. I did. Even when I went with good friends, it just wasn't the same.

R.I.P. old friend... I spent way too many years with you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sichuevos/LoveRespectsLove.jpg

the_ouskull

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 08:11 PM
Sat in Denco's one night and watched a durnk guy eat a Darlin with two looking atcha. He ate the entire thing - - - with his eyes closed and his chin down.:D

I remember that. That sucker sure was good!

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 08:15 PM
Not at O'Connell's. I tried to go to the new place. I did. Even when I went with good friends, it just wasn't the same.

the_ouskull

Let's see...

Gelled hair? Check.

Dimwit? Check.

Kissing an elk? Check.

Ain't going to the new place? Whatever.

It was an average bar in a great location. It's gone. Move on. Nothing to see here.

ouleaf
3/23/2011, 11:57 AM
Uh, Paul in...uh

OUmillenium
3/23/2011, 12:07 PM
Now that made me cry

Place I miss is Jiggs. Great BBQ sandwich and jerky.

I also loved walking by Old O'Connells EVERY SINGLE OU game I have been to for the last 23 years. I will miss it even though it wasn't the hip site that is was in the late 80s-early 2000s.

KantoSooner
3/23/2011, 12:13 PM

Dayum! I thought I was invisible!

Seriously, that was the best hangover food in the known universe. Settled the stomach like nothing else.

mgsooner
3/23/2011, 12:17 PM
Part of me wants to recall the fond memories but part of me also wants to recall how much of a dump it was. The older I get, the less I wax nostalgic about sh*tty bar food.

IB4OU2
3/23/2011, 12:38 PM
I lived in Norman most of my young adult life and I can count the number of times I visited Oconnells on one hand... Now Dencos was another story. A Darlin at 2:00 A.M. cured alot of ills. :D

ouduckhunter
3/23/2011, 12:43 PM
First time I ever went was after a game in 1975. I was still in high school, and spending the weekend in Norman with my family. Another friend and I managed to get in without being carded, and ordered beers. We were having a great time hanging out, but the night got better when Joe Washington walked in! The whole bar turned around to look at him, but everybody left him and his hot date alone. That was the first of many happy times there. Some I remember, and some I don't! :D

May the original RIP!

TheHumanAlphabet
3/23/2011, 12:58 PM

Norman and drinking will never be the same without having a Denco Darlin'

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 01:00 PM

You know it's been at least 15 years (or maybe more) since they tore that place down. Coaches is OK, but it's no Denco's.

ouduckhunter
3/23/2011, 01:01 PM

True Dat!

Boomer.....
3/23/2011, 01:15 PM
St. Patrick's Day in Norman will never be the same.

Jacie
3/23/2011, 01:21 PM
Things change. Only remakable to some of us because we are still around to see the before/after and if lucky enough, to have experienced the before when it was becoming the legend that it became, not the bastard spawn that sat there for years impersonating O'Connells.

soonerchk
3/23/2011, 01:46 PM

Because it was FUN dammit!!!!

the_ouskull

Brought a tear to my eye.

St. Patrick's Day in Norman will never be the same.

No it will not, and that makes me sad. I had some great times at O'Connell's and I will miss it. Met some of the best people in my life at that place.

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 01:53 PM
My fondest O'Connell's memories?

Let's see, there was the time I went into the bathroom and some dude was puking all over the Oklahoma sink. Another time at a St. Patty's day party my good buddy Uwe got arrested for peeing outside. Those are about my favorite two.

Seriously, I guess I'm jaundiced or something because the O'Connell's St. Patty's day deal is lamer than lame. Cover charge? check. No liquor, only ****ty green beer for about $10 a glass? check. Thousands of drunken kiddies thinking they were inventing partying? Check.

St. Patty's day should be copious amounts of good Irish beer, whiskey, corn beef/cabbage, and if you have to have something with green food coloring get the green eggs and ham. Green Bud Light? Nah.

An Irish pub I go to up here in DC had a pretty good party this year. About the only thing different than any other day was that the drinks (beer and whiskey) were all served in plastic cups and you could buy T-shirts and mugs if you wanted one. And they had some good drink specials: Boddington's, Guinness, Harp, and Smithwick's for $4 a pint. Shots of Irish whiskey for $4. O'Connell's just ripped you off on St. Patty's day.

soonerchk
3/23/2011, 01:56 PM

Let's see, there was the time I went into the bathroom and some dude was puking all over the Oklahoma sink. Another time at a St. Patty's day party my good buddy Uwe got arrested for peeing outside. Those are about my favorite two.

Seriously, I guess I'm jaundiced or something because the O'Connell's St. Patty's day deal is lamer than lame. Cover charge? check. No liquor, only ****ty green beer for about $10 a glass? check. Thousands of drunken kiddies thinking they were inventing partying? Check.

St. Patty's day should be copious amounts of good Irish beer, whiskey, corn beef/cabbage, and if you have to have something with green food coloring get the green eggs and ham. Green Bud Light? Nah.

An Irish pub I go to up here in DC had a pretty good party this year. About the only thing different than any other day was that the drinks (beer and whiskey) were all served in plastic cups and you could buy T-shirts and mugs if you wanted one. And they had some good drink specials: Boddington's, Guinness, Harp, and Smithwick's for $4 a pint. Shots of Irish whiskey for $4. O'Connell's just ripped you off on St. Patty's day.

Old goat.

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 01:59 PM
Thank you, thank you very much.

Position Limit
3/23/2011, 02:22 PM

couldnt agree more. my last 2 years at OU i lived right down the street and went in there often enough. never understood how they got away so long with ripping off the unsuspecting public. location i suppose. and your right, that's no st. patricks day celebration.

soonerchk
3/23/2011, 02:38 PM
Jeez, it was a college bar! Y'all act like you were expecting some high class joint right there by campus.

Position Limit
3/23/2011, 02:41 PM
Jeez, it was a college bar! Y'all act like you were expecting some high class joint right there by campus.

yes i know. didnt really expect much from it. i just dont understand the need for a moment of silence for a completely average college bar.

AlboSooner
3/23/2011, 02:44 PM
I've never been there, so being boring and all, I don't feel the nostalgia some of you do. I ache more for the Subway, than OC. I loved going to subway after a workout at the Huff.

3rdgensooner
3/23/2011, 02:48 PM
yes i know. didnt really expect much from it. i just dont understand the need for a moment of silence for a completely average college bar.
You don't have to actually be silent.

OUDoc
3/23/2011, 02:56 PM
I only went inside probably 3 times. Never spent much time there. St Patrick's Day my freshman year was spent outside, as well as many game days (especially when I was in HS) drinking beer. I'll miss it because it was a part of my old OU days.

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 03:00 PM

Not really. I used to go to Mr. Bill's, The Mont, Liberty D's, etc. They were all > O'Connell's in my O. It just isn't anything like a real Irish bar (here or in Ireland). It's more like a.....crappy college bar?

ouduckhunter
3/23/2011, 03:03 PM
It's more like a.....crappy college bar?

But it's our crappy college bar!! :)

TheHumanAlphabet
3/23/2011, 03:06 PM
Not really. I used to go to Mr. Bill's, The Mont, Liberty D's, etc. They were all > O'Connell's in my O. It just isn't anything like a real Irish bar (here or in Ireland). It's more like a.....crappy college bar?

Remember the Old No. 7 club?? adajcent/part of to Mr. Bill's - was it always known as Mr. Bill's? Drinks to go Baby!

soonerchk
3/23/2011, 03:07 PM
I only went inside probably 3 times. Never spent much time there. St Patrick's Day my freshman year was spent outside, as well as many game days (especially when I was in HS) drinking beer. I'll miss it because it was a part of my old OU days.

But it's our crappy college bar!! :)

EXACTLY!!

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, but herpes was part of your old college days too. You miss that ****?

soonerchk
3/23/2011, 03:10 PM

Actually it wasn't.

OUDoc
3/23/2011, 03:13 PM

Actually it wasn't.

'Cuz it keeps coming back, right?

The Profit
3/23/2011, 03:31 PM

Funny that you mentioned herpes. My memory of the "Darling" was almost as disgusting as my fear of herpes. Both are some nasty .....

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 03:48 PM
Funny that you mentioned herpes. My memory of the "Darling" was almost as disgusting as my fear of herpes. Both are some nasty .....

It was a "Darlin'" not a Darling. And it was the greasiest, nastiest, plate of hangover stopping goodness known to man. Sober, it'd probably puke a dog off a gut wagon but drunk? Food of the gods.

The Profit
3/23/2011, 03:50 PM
It was a "Darlin'" not a Darling. And it was the greasiest, nastiest, plate of hangover stopping goodness known to man. Sober, it'd probably puke a dog off a gut wagon but drunk? Food of the gods.

I never liked the grease on a whiskey stomach. What was that lady's name that worked there.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/23/2011, 04:16 PM
salt in the wound man

I just miss old Norman--not a fan of everything bunched up on Campus Corner

Really miss the Town Tavern!

soonerbub
3/23/2011, 04:58 PM
November 18, 2000 we just beat the pirates 27-13 on Owen Field to clinch our 1st South title. Leaving the stadium me & my (x) went in and started watching gators & noles w everyone else. The feeling in there that "holy **** we can win a national title" was back.

great night

Fraggle145
3/23/2011, 05:14 PM
You know it's been at least 15 years (or maybe more) since they tore that place down. Coaches is OK, but it's no Denco's.

Coach's isnt OK. Coach's sucks donkey balls. Their beer is average at best.

As an example of how they suck - my wife ordered a baked potato. It was cold and not cooked in the middle. They managed to **** up a baked potato.

Coach's is the epitome of meh.

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 05:26 PM
Coach's isnt OK. Coach's sucks donkey balls. Their beer is average at best.

As an example of how they suck - my wife ordered a baked potato. It was cold and not cooked in the middle. They managed to **** up a baked potato.

Coach's is the epitome of meh.

Heh. Look who's getting old. Our resident God hater. In the day, you and her would be so ****ing drunk the potato would have tasted like manna from heaven (wait, you don't do heaven so help me out here). I don't drink Coaches beer, but if I did, it'd be at least = to the luke warm generic lite they served at O'Connell's. Hell, I've only been in Coaches a half-dozen times, and not once in the past 4-5 years. I was just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Fraggle145
3/23/2011, 05:38 PM
Heh. Look who's getting old. Our resident God hater. In the day, you and her would be so ****ing drunk the potato would have tasted like manna from heaven (wait, you don't do heaven so help me out here). I don't drink Coaches beer, but if I did, it'd be at least = to the luke warm generic lite they served at O'Connell's. Hell, I've only been in Coaches a half-dozen times, and not once in the past 4-5 years. I was just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Man, I've never liked Coach's. And I know I'm gettin' old. Nobody wants to get drunk and get loud.

I never got to experience the "Darlin." But if they could make that potato taste like babies (I dont know either? :confused: See picture below) then monkeys would fly out of my ***. Coach's makes "hand-crafted" stuff like IPA, porter, wheat, etc... The only one that isnt swill water is the IPA.

Dont go to Coach's ever again. You can thank me later. O'Connell's is better than Coach's if that tells you anything (only because of the ETW).

http://www.bay-of-fundie.com/img/2010/babies-tasty.jpg

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 06:02 PM
Dude, you cut me to the quick. I believe, and I love babies too. Especially stir fried in peanut oil with a nice Similac sauce.

Fraggle145
3/23/2011, 06:39 PM
No rooster jizz?

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 07:00 PM
That goes without saying. Rooster jizz makes everything better.

hawaii 5-0
3/23/2011, 07:03 PM
Really miss the Town Tavern!

I also miss Liberty Drug when it was a drug store.

5-0

sooneron
3/23/2011, 10:49 PM
I'll miss the old O'Cs. I had my first public underage beer there- 1983 St Patty's day. Had some good times - it was never really a "hip" place to hang out, just a bar with average food, I should know, I was a cook/bar back there for about a year- worked with the mistresses Vonda and Tracy. When I was in school and shortly thereafter, there weren't nearly the prevalent TGs that there are now- O'Connell's was it and it was pretty fun... Laughing at irish from Stiff Richard in performing next to the gas pumps, noobs standing too close to the chicken wire bins for empties. Everyone keeps bringing up the bud light, I never had that sort of beer inside- always had a Steinlager, Rhino Chasers or Bass.
I also miss Liberty Ds, not old enough to remember it being a drug store, tho. I also remember Denco's but was too young to sample the Darlin with a hangover. Town Tavern was fun, Hoops was pretty decent. Man, Nompton has changed. Some good, some bad.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 07:49 AM
How about Ol' Blue? Anybody hang there? Mitty's?

sooneron
3/24/2011, 09:22 AM
I saw an OU LB'er from backinnaday knock someone the **** out in front of Mitty's on campus corner. He wrecked the guy with one punch. Can't remember his name, it may have been Benson. It wasn't Cumby, but it was around those days. I had just come out of Curb Service where us little punks hung out back then.

edit: That was the Jockstrap. Forgot that Mitty's was on Lindsey.
Is Ol' Blues still around?

sooneron
3/24/2011, 09:24 AM
I will say this, I don't think that Stewart really thought that he ran an Irish Bar, it was just a bar that was also a burger joint.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 09:33 AM
I remember Mitty's being right by Suger's?

I don't know if Ol' Blue is still around because I haven't driven down Flood in years.

sooneron
3/24/2011, 09:48 AM
Then what was the place on Lindsey a few doors down from Legend's? Maybe Mitty's or the Jockstrap moved there? We need King Crimson for this, he's an encyclopedia of what was in Norman back then.
I remember a disco being on the corner of Main and Flood! Infinity! heh

Soonerwake
3/24/2011, 10:00 AM
Wet tshirt night on Wednesdays at The Fox...

Oh, and penny beer at Mr Bills....

Those were the days. :D

Boomer.....
3/24/2011, 10:10 AM
I remember Mitty's being right by Suger's?

I don't know if Ol' Blue is still around because I haven't driven down Flood in years.

It's still there.

3rdgensooner
3/24/2011, 11:51 AM
The $75 million Sooner Housing Center that will go up on the corner of Lindsey and Jenkins across from the stadium

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/20110322_header2.jpg (http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032411aaa.html)

ouduckhunter
3/24/2011, 11:55 AM
The $75 million Sooner Housing Center that will go up on the corner of Lindsey and Jenkins across from the stadium

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/20110322_header2.jpg (http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032411aaa.html)

Seriously? Wow, that is pretty sweet!

proud gonzo
3/24/2011, 12:40 PM
I have lived in Norman for 8 years now, and I'm pretty sure I've only been to the old O'Connell's three, maybe four times. It was okay. Now if they tore down the Library, I'd be devastated. I used to go there 2-3 times a week.

saucysoonergal
3/24/2011, 12:44 PM
I have lived in Norman for 8 years now, and I'm pretty sure I've only been to the old O'Connell's three, maybe four times. It was okay. Now if they tore down the Library, I'd be devastated. I used to go there 2-3 times a week.

ALKIE!!!

;)

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 12:46 PM

You mean Pink's?:texan:

jumperstop
3/24/2011, 12:47 PM

Do you like overpriced pints? The vibe is cool and all but once I realized a Bouley cost me a dollar more there than down on Campus Corner I stopped going there. Only good thing was when I was in Burton, I think thats what the communications building was called, in which I had a lot of classes my last couple of semesters, I could just walk over and get a beer or two between classes.

Soonerwake
3/24/2011, 12:49 PM

I saw that coming... Isn't that your old hangout, Deano?? :D

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 12:52 PM
I saw that coming... Isn't that your old hangout, Deano?? :D

Like you don't know, thavage.

virginiasooner
3/24/2011, 01:05 PM
Ah, O'Connell's on St. Patrick's Day -- warm green beer, and that screechy, scrawny evangelist preaching on the steps of Dale Hall (am I showing my age?). I remember when O'C's was a real dive-y place. I'd go there for dinner on Sunday nights with friends, have a oozy greasy cheeseburger and fries, and share a couple of pitchers of beer. Good times. I took my hubby to O'Connells back in June 2008. Burger seemed smaller and not as greasey, and since we had to drive back to OKC, no beer.

IB4OU2
3/24/2011, 01:20 PM
So are they tearing down the Sooner Superette too?

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 01:23 PM
So are they tearing down the Sooner Superette too?

Yup. The whole dang corner and I think even houses South of the Superette.

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 01:25 PM
Jeff didn't own the building nor the land where O'Connell's was, pretty sure John Traw(sp?) owned that corner. Also, when he purchased it he was somewhere in town, the Diner maybe, and some old men were talking about the moron that just bought O'Connell's and how nobidy could make any money on that corner. Jeff owned a movie theater in Moore I believe before he bought O'Cs. Jeff is a good guy, he was great to me when I worked there. Really good guy to work for. His wife is a very nice lady as well.

saucysoonergal
3/24/2011, 01:26 PM
Jeff didn't own the building nor the land where O'Connell's was. Also, when he purchased it he was somewhere in town, the Diner maybe, and some old men were talking about the moron that just bought O'Connell's and how nobidy could make any money on that corner. Jeff owned a movie theater in Moore I believe before he bought O'Cs. Jeff is a good guy, he was great to me when I worked there. Really good guy to work for. His wife is a very nice lady as well.

I didn't know you rich Betas had to work real jobs? ;)

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 01:28 PM
just to keep us grounded with the little people! :D

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 01:31 PM
1TC was greek?

That explains sooooo much.

saucysoonergal
3/24/2011, 01:33 PM
1TC was greek?

That explains sooooo much.

Yep, same frat as Doc! (and Boren) ;)

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 01:34 PM

Now that really explains a lot.

soonerchk
3/24/2011, 01:35 PM
I didn't know you rich Betas had to work real jobs? ;)

I miss my Beta Beer Boots.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

waynepayne
3/24/2011, 03:24 PM
I know I am late to this party but Green Goddess is yummy!

I'll date myself but I remember when I was a kid they served it on a dressing carousel thingy with club crackers at Rubys in Purcell.

as for O'Connells. meh.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 03:30 PM
I know I am late to this party but Green Goddess is yummy!

I'll date myself but I remember when I was a kid they served it on a dressing carousel thingy with club crackers at Rubys in Purcell.

as for O'Connells. meh.

Ruby's. Now you're talking. Do you ever eat at Sonny's in Wayne?

waynepayne
3/24/2011, 03:31 PM
Ruby's. Now you're talking. Do you ever eat at Sonny's in Wayne?

uh yeah. WAYNEpayne. :P

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 03:39 PM
Just cause you have the interstate sign in your avatar doesn't mean you've eaten at Sonny's dangit. So you live in Wayne, or Payne? Or Purcell? Or Byars? Or Stratford? Or Maysville? Or Lindsay? Or...

waynepayne
3/24/2011, 03:42 PM
Just cause you have the interstate sign in your avatar doesn't mean you've eaten at Sonny's dangit. So you live in Wayne, or Payne? Or Purcell? Or Byars? Or Stratford? Or Maysville? Or Lindsay? Or...

From Lex, lived in Wayne for a stint in my 20's. Circle H chicken fried steak was good eats. :) AND they had char fries. Besides Dairy Boy in Lex i know of no place else that has them

Lott's Bandana
3/24/2011, 03:54 PM
I think Sugar's is where Mitty's was.

And Pink's was The Library BEFORE it was Pink's.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 04:01 PM
From Lex, lived in Wayne for a stint in my 20's. Circle H chicken fried steak was good eats. :) AND they had char fries. Besides Dairy Boy in Lex i know of no place else that has them

I live east of Lex now a mile and a half SE from the prison. You know Dairy Boy shut down? They built a POS Sonic across from the new high school on Hwy. 39. Did you know there was a new high school? A Sonic and a Dollar General. We're right uptown.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 04:04 PM

They used to be side-by-side if my alcohol-affected memory serves me well. I remember Mitty's had little black and white TVs where you could buy peep shows, and back in the day, pretty much ANYTHING went. Squatting on a longneck, peeing in a beer pitcher, smoking a cig with the coochy cooch. In hindsight, not so good times.

IB4OU2
3/24/2011, 04:05 PM

Really? I stole some candy from that store when I was 5...my grandparents lived on Garfield.

Mississippi Sooner
3/24/2011, 04:05 PM
They used to be side-by-side if my alcohol-affected memory serves me well. I remember Mitty's had little black and white TVs where you could buy peep shows, and back in the day, pretty much ANYTHING went. Squatting on a longneck, peeing in a beer pitcher, smoking a cig with the coochy cooch. In hindsight, not so good times.

If I'm not mistaken, before it was called Walter Mitty's, it was called The Organ Grinder. That has to be an all time top name for a strip joint.

And yeah, Mitty's and Sugar's co-existed for a short time in that same alley.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2011, 05:09 PM
I remember Mitty's had little black and white TVs where you could buy peep shows, and back in the day, pretty much ANYTHING went. Squatting on a longneck, peeing in a beer pitcher, smoking a cig with the coochy cooch. In hindsight, not so good times.

Wasnt' that the High Horse Saloon???

Factoid (can't vouch for the veracity, but believe it to be true): Mitty's was owned by the Engine (Engineers) Club at one time...

sooneron
3/24/2011, 09:11 PM

EGGZACKERY!! they had the best mayo on their turkey/avacado/croissanwich! The fried shrooms didn't suck either. The food now? A V E R A G E!

sooneron
3/24/2011, 09:14 PM

This much is true.

the_ouskull
3/24/2011, 09:54 PM
The last year I remember getting one was 1994-1995-ish.

Coaches has decent beer, but I preferred IU's handcrafted beers right across the street... or the smug, tightness of Cafe 66. The Vista. Kelly's. (Gone in, what, 1992?) 1990's downtown Norman. Sigh.

Blue
3/24/2011, 09:55 PM
or the smug, tightness of Cafe 66

Is that what you meant? Bc I could totally see that.

btb916
3/24/2011, 10:14 PM
So they're putting in more student housing there? Or a parking garage?

SoonerStormchaser
3/24/2011, 10:47 PM
Never once went there or to The Mont during my 5 years at OU...and 5 years later, I still haven't gone. And yet my life still feels complete.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/25/2011, 12:16 AM

Yeah, I took my kids to show them the duplex I lived in during grad school - a block down the street from O'Connells on Lincoln Street. I'll be damned if they hadn't leveled all the houses on three or four blocks.

SteelClip49
3/25/2011, 01:07 AM
O'Connell's was always fun. Drunk many times and a short walk back since I lived in the athletic dorms.

But I always preferred the Quarter House on Campus Corner. I miss that place a lot :(

SteelClip49
3/25/2011, 01:07 AM
Never once went there or to The Mont during my 5 years at OU...and 5 years later, I still haven't gone. And yet my life still feels complete.

The Mont is overrated. Nothing to see.

proud gonzo
3/25/2011, 01:52 AM
ALKIE!!!

;)

Do you like overpriced pints? The vibe is cool and all but once I realized a Bouley cost me a dollar more there than down on Campus Corner I stopped going there. Only good thing was when I was in Burton, I think thats what the communications building was called, in which I had a lot of classes my last couple of semesters, I could just walk over and get a beer or two between classes.

Did I say I drank there? no. I said I WENT there 2-3 times a week, usually for lunch. I was a music major, and the Library is right across the street from Catlett.

Besides, as far as I'm concerned, drinks are overpriced at ALL bars.

Fraggle145
3/25/2011, 02:14 AM

and me.

Thought Boren was Skull and Bones? or Kappa Sig? (depending on which Boren we are talking about)

hawaii 5-0
3/25/2011, 02:26 AM
Really? I stole some candy from that store when I was 5...my grandparents lived on Garfield.

I lived on Garfield in the late Seventies.

After I moved BACK to Normal.

5-0

OutlandTrophy
3/25/2011, 08:37 AM
and me.

Thought Boren was Skull and Bones? or Kappa Sig? (depending on which Boren we are talking about)

and mallen and HMFIC's little brother!!

Boren couldn't make it through Beta pledgeship. ;)

waynepayne
3/25/2011, 10:12 AM
I live east of Lex now a mile and a half SE from the prison. You know Dairy Boy shut down? They built a POS Sonic across from the new high school on Hwy. 39. Did you know there was a new high school? A Sonic and a Dollar General. We're right uptown.

I knew the Engdohls (sp?) hadnt owned it for a while and it was struggling but no I didnt know it was shut down completely. Thats a shame. I spent much of my lawn mowing $ at that place. Good times.

I knew there was a new HS but a Sonic??!! Wow! the times, they are a changing.

I am also still amazed at the new Wal-mart in Purcell. It just feels out of place :(

C&CDean
3/25/2011, 10:18 AM
I knew the Engdohls (sp?) hadnt owned it for a while and it was struggling but no I didnt know it was shut down completely. Thats a shame. I spent much of my lawn mowing $ at that place. Good times.

I knew there was a new HS but a Sonic??!! Wow! the times, they are a changing.

I am also still amazed at the new Wal-mart in Purcell. It just feels out of place :(

Herb Engdahl still has his car repair place, and his brothers all do construction and other stuff, but no more Dairy Boy. Been up for sale for probably over a year now. In reality, it was pretty poorly managed/operated by some older lady and her excessively overweight daughter. I've actually thought about buying it, but running a restaraunt is the suck.

All the Mowdys, Moffatts, Skinners, and Northcutts are still around.

That Walmart in Purcell is the worse Walmart in the history of Walmarts. You talke about a mis-managed place.