PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...the first "sin tax"

Okla-homey
3/22/2011, 06:44 AM
Mar 22, 1933: FDR legalizes sale of beer and wine

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/FDRuntitled.jpg

79 years ago, on this day in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Beer and Wine Revenue Act. This law levies a federal tax on all alcoholic beverages to raise revenue for the federal government and gives individual states the option to further regulate the sale and distribution of beer and wine.

With the passage of the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act in 1919, temperance advocates in the U.S. finally achieved their long sought-after goal of prohibiting the sale of alcohol or "spirits." Together, the new laws prohibited the manufacture, sale or transportation of liquor and ushered in the era known as "Prohibition," defining an alcoholic beverage as anything containing over 0.5 percent alcohol by volume.

President Woodrow Wilson had unsuccessfully tried to veto the Volstead Act, which set harsh punishments for violating the 18th Amendment and endowed the Internal Revenue Service with unprecedented regulatory and enforcement powers.

In the end, Prohibition proved difficult and expensive to enforce and actually increased illegal trafficking without cutting down on consumption. Sound familiar? In one of his first addresses to Congress as president, FDR announced his intention to modify the Volstead Act with the Beer and Wine Revenue Act.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/fdrbeeruntitled.jpg

No fan of temperance himself, FDR had developed a taste for alcohol when he attended New York cocktail parties as a budding politician. (While president, FDR refused to fire his favorite personal valet for repeated drunkenness on the job.) FDR considered the new law "of the highest importance" for its potential to generate much-needed federal funds and included it in a sweeping set of New Deal policies designed to vault the U.S. economy out of the Great Depression.

The Beer and Wine Revenue act was followed, in December 1933, by the passage of the 21st Amendment, which officially ended Prohibition.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 07:52 AM
Yea Ya can Make yer own wine In OK and since Last year its Now legal to make yer own Beer , But I be dayumd ya cant make yer own OVJ :mad:

Anyway:D
gqsT4xnKZPg

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:12 AM
i thot it was always legal to make your own beer, in OK. of course, i haven't
lived there since 1963.

XingTheRubicon
3/22/2011, 09:12 AM
Prohibition didn't cut down on consumption?

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:13 AM
78 years ago = 1933.
i noticed that cause my sister will be 78 next month.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:16 AM
i thot it was always legal to make your own beer, in OK. of course, i haven't
lived there since 1963.

No, The law just passed last year to allow it.

Prohibition didn't cut down on consumption?

No way , there were to many "Olevets" back then;)

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:17 AM
78 years ago = 1933.
i noticed that cause my sister will be 78 next month.

Have I said it yet?
Dayum yer an old fugger :D
Makes me feel young ;)

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:24 AM
Have I said it yet?
Dayum yer an old fugger :D
Makes me feel young ;)

I think you've said it before, but that doesn't make it less true.

she could be WWAAAAAAYYY older than me. (she's not)

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:27 AM
I think you've said it before, but that doesn't make it less true.

she could be WWAAAAAAYYY older than me. (she's not)

LOL Ya ALL my sister are old bitches ;)

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:29 AM
i like the "Cool Hand Luke" sig. how bout the girl car washer ??

XingTheRubicon
3/22/2011, 09:33 AM
ya better get your mind right Luke

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:36 AM
to paraphrase; what we have here is a failure to communicate.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 10:28 AM
I can eat 50 boiled eggs :P

KantoSooner
3/22/2011, 11:20 AM
Prohibition effectively subsidized the Italian mafia during its infancy in this country.
We've done the same for the cartels with prohibition on doobie for the last century.
If 40% or so of your population has tried an intoxicant and somewhere north of 10% use it regularly, you have an unenforceable law and, as a nation, you'd better switch fields and live with it or risk enriching those who enable the 'law breakers' and encouraging contempt for all law by the populace as a whole.
And, no, decriminalization is NOT the answer, because that leaves the trade underground. Full on legalization, with quality regulation and taxation is the answer. And you already have a highly regulated distribution network: liquor stores.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2011, 11:21 AM
Let's do the same thing today with Burger King, Taco Bell and the like. Use the revenue to fund education programs so people realize what an economic strain people that eat that **** impose on the rest of us.