PDA

View Full Version : Tobey Rowland new voice of Sooner athletics?

OU_PhD
3/21/2011, 06:01 PM
Dean the stream was talking like it was a done deal, and that Merv will stay on as an analyst.

I like T-Row but I am surprised by the hire.

Section 9
3/21/2011, 06:09 PM
I think Toby does a good job. I would be happy with the hire.

usmc-sooner
3/21/2011, 06:52 PM
T Row I like him

Soonerson1975
3/21/2011, 07:02 PM
If true I'd be happy with the hire.

picasso
3/21/2011, 07:20 PM
Dean the stream was talking like it was a done deal, and that Merv will stay on as an analyst.

I like T-Row but I am surprised by the hire.

When did he say this? I heard Dean just before 6pm on the Animal and he said TR was in a good position but he didn't say it was a lock.

OU_PhD
3/21/2011, 07:29 PM
When did he say this? I heard Dean just before 6pm on the Animal and he said TR was in a good position but he didn't say it was a lock.

Yeah I came away from it thinking he said he had gotten the job and even knew the details of the hiring.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 07:32 PM
I think he does a good job on the sideline stuff during the game. Don't know about his play by play, assuming it'll be good.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 07:32 PM
Who's going to replace him on the sideline report thing they do?

Soonerson1975
3/21/2011, 07:40 PM

OUDavid

SoonerPride
3/21/2011, 07:43 PM

Trent Smith!

picasso
3/21/2011, 08:48 PM
Don't know about his play by play, assuming it'll be good.

Nobody does. He's apparently never done it.

cantwait48
3/21/2011, 10:29 PM
OUDavid

:D

SoonerNate
3/21/2011, 10:32 PM
Who is this guy?

I was hoping we'd get a bigger national name.

bigfatjerk
3/21/2011, 10:37 PM
Who is this guy?

I was hoping we'd get a bigger national name.

He was the sideline reporter. He's been doing OU/KREF/Local TV stuff for years.

SoonerNate
3/21/2011, 10:42 PM
Just youtubed him. I think I recognize him from when I've been up in OKC now that I see him. Sounds decent.

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2011, 12:23 AM
Don't tell me this is the same Toby who used to call into the Sports Animal.

zandozan
3/22/2011, 12:31 AM
Very underwhelmed. I was hoping for a more national guy with Oklahoma ties..i.e. Spencer Tillman. If this is true it shows a lack of conviction to make the OU Network top notch. Then again it is Dean who was called by a national radio host 'The Master of Misinformation'

bigfatjerk
3/22/2011, 12:36 AM
Don't tell me this is the same Toby who used to call into the Sports Animal.

No you are thinking of Tobias, who called into every radio station and got banned for calling into every radio station in the OKC area.

Peach Fuzz
3/22/2011, 12:38 AM
lol how do you get banned from making calls

oudavid1
3/22/2011, 12:47 AM
OUDavid

I would love too. But since im already in the press box at UCO, I would sort of want the same thing at OU.

BigJerm7
3/22/2011, 05:26 AM
Anybody but Bob Carpenter.

Lawton4Life
3/22/2011, 08:31 AM
I really dont think that Spencer Tillman would ever leave a national gig on CBS to do Radio for the Sooners with the promise of it turning into something more with a network...TV is about eyes watching, and eyes watching equal salaries. More folks are going to watch CBS that the Sooner Network...

SoonerNate
3/22/2011, 08:37 AM
No you are thinking of Tobias, who called into every radio station and got banned for calling into every radio station in the OKC area.

LMFGDAO!

I remember that cat. He called every show on every station back in the 90's. Ha ha ha. Sometimes he went by Mel, sometimes Tobias...

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 08:55 AM
I'm confused. Why do we need a "national name" for a PBP radio guy? I couldn't give a **** if we hired Orglethorpe Wolfnuts as long as he could do a good job. Seriously, what does a national name bring to the table besides familiarity and baggage? It won't make the broadcasts any better unless the guy actually is better.

The Maestro
3/22/2011, 10:19 AM
Nobody does. He's apparently never done it.

Not true...back when I used to do PBP for OBU hoops, Toby was the SID and did the same at SNU. Granted, it wasn't football, but he was rock solid for SNU hoops. I mean, anything is an upgrade.

And for the vote for Spencer Tillman, he's an analyst, not a PBP guy. Former athlete = analyst. Broadcasting major = PBP guy...except for Pat Summerall and Terry Gannon.

bri
3/22/2011, 10:45 AM
I'm confused. Why do we need a "national name" for a PBP radio guy?

BECAUSE WE HAVE TO SEEM IMPORTANT! EVERY GREAT COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAM HAS AN INTERNATIONALLY FAMOUS RADIO ANNOUNCER, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT?

sooner59
3/22/2011, 10:53 AM
I personally don't care about getting a national name. I just want someone who is good at it and keeps the game exciting on the radio. I always listened to BBS and Merv while I was in the stands so I could notice things such as new subs, formation twists, etc. that I would normally not see right off bat because I was looking at something else. If Toby did get it, I could see Trent Smith getting a shot on the sidelines possibly.

HBick
3/22/2011, 10:58 AM
I personally don't care about getting a national name. I just want someone who is good at it and keeps the game exciting on the radio. I always listened to BBS and Merv while I was in the stands so I could notice things such as new subs, formation twists, etc. that I would normally not see right off bat because I was looking at something else. If Toby did get it, I could see Trent Smith getting a shot on the sidelines possibly.

I'm fine with this as well. A national name means more money. Not that it's a huge deal since football revenue pays for itself and damn near everything else athletic related, but a local guy might be better.

Mississippi Sooner
3/22/2011, 11:17 AM
Walter Cronkite and Curt Gowdy both got their starts in the business calling Sooner football games, so OU does have a good track record. Not saying Rowland will ever reach those heights, of course.

usaosooner
3/22/2011, 12:42 PM
Congrats Toby

soonerborn45
3/22/2011, 01:00 PM
Toby Rowland is arguably the best person on sports talk radio in Oklahoma and has a good voice. He is only 37 and has to start somewhere in terms of PBP. The problem with a national guy is the fact that they could be gone if another job came up. In Toby's case, this is basically a dream job. There probably would not be another job that would take him away unless the money was enormous.

Adrian
3/22/2011, 01:03 PM
I would love too. But since im already in the press box at UCO, I would sort of want the same thing at OU.

"OU David as the next great voice of OU Football. It is a destiny that delivers."

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 01:11 PM
"OU David as the next great voice of OU Football. It is a destiny that delivers."

Reading twats out loud is not the same as PBP.

zandozan
3/22/2011, 01:14 PM
I really dont think that Spencer Tillman would ever leave a national gig on CBS to do Radio for the Sooners with the promise of it turning into something more with a network...TV is about eyes watching, and eyes watching equal salaries. More folks are going to watch CBS that the Sooner Network...

You're probably right, Spence is just a best case scenario because of his OU ties and his professionalism...just using him as an example. If we align with CBS though it might be possible for him to do both.

If Rowland can handle jumping into play by play AND becoming the voice and face of OU on the new OU Network then more power to him. The next guy is going to have a lot more responsibilities than BBSR ever did. Remember, we're launching a brand new network with possible affiliation with a national network similar to how Texas is with ESPN. As per Joe C, the reason we're doing it is to reach a national audience, not just local. You can't be afraid to dream a little bigger.

JLEW1818
3/22/2011, 01:14 PM
dean likes twats?

Adrian
3/22/2011, 01:31 PM
Reading twats out loud is not the same as PBP.

To quote a great and revered SF poster, "Most of us here LIKE DAVID."

JohnnyMack
3/22/2011, 01:44 PM
Meh.

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 02:14 PM
Traber is now trashing Toby.

I'm liking the choice more now.

Soonerwake
3/22/2011, 02:27 PM
It's the freakin' OU radio PBP... Who did you people think we were going to hire, Dan Patrick?? Yeesh!! :confused:

Personally, I've met Toby on several ocassions, and he seems like a good guy. He has a good radio voice.

Boomer.....
3/22/2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032211aaa.html

Boarder
3/22/2011, 03:15 PM
Orglethorpe Wolfnuts is possibly the funniest thing I have ever read. I can't stop laughing.

Toby Rowland will be great. I was afraid we would get some Hunzicker-type maniac in the position. I am well pleased.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 03:55 PM
I don't see why Traber was getting all worked up. The only people that listen to the radio are people who are at the game with head phones, and people driving during the game. And if you're driving during the game you probably don't care a lot anyways. Wait...I'll be missing the tech game because a wedding, I might have to radio it up then. Hope he's got his **** together by then.

bigfatjerk
3/22/2011, 03:56 PM
I listen to radio because the TV announcers can't do their job.

bigfatjerk
3/22/2011, 04:01 PM
And to expand on my last post, TV announcers are talking about other games and promoting their networks instead of talking about the actual game. And these announcers don't even research the teams that are playing.

soonerbub
3/22/2011, 04:02 PM

Just had the pleasure of hearing that--like a car wreck on the other side of the road I couldn't turn away. Why that assrocket is allowed to sit in the OU press box during football games is beyond my comprehension (hopefully Joe C will rectify that after Traber's ranting gets legs)

Toby will be great--his baseball announcing is AWESOME. srsly

waynepayne
3/22/2011, 04:04 PM

thats all I need to let me know I am on the right side of something.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 04:07 PM
And to expand on my last post, TV announcers are talking about other games and promoting their networks instead of talking about the actual game. And these announcers don't even research the teams that are playing.

Agree, but Traber was acting like OU is this huge school and it's embarrassing that they didn't go after a bigger name. It's the radio play by play, why should OU shell out big bucks when they can pay a guy who will do a good job a lot less. And also, OU probably wants consistency and longevity in the person they hire. People enjoyed BB because he'd been there a while. Toby won't be leaving anytime soon...unless he sucks, but that didn't stop them firing BB. In fact I'm sure Toby won't get names mixed up with players that haven't played in five years....

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 04:09 PM
Just had the pleasure of hearing that--like a car wreck on the other side of the road I couldn't turn away. Why that assrocket is allowed to sit in the OU press box during football games is beyond my comprehension (hopefully Joe C will rectify that after Traber's ranting gets legs)

Toby will be great--his baseball announcing is AWESOME. srsly

That's another thing, he was acting like he had no experience...

bigfatjerk
3/22/2011, 04:15 PM
Has Toby Rowland ever called a football game in his life? At any level?

Soonerfan88
3/22/2011, 04:19 PM
Actually BBSr lost his voice during a game couple of years ago and Toby stepped in to cover for him. I thought he did a really good job, especially with absolutely no notice.

bigfatjerk
3/22/2011, 04:23 PM
Actually BBSr lost his voice during a game couple of years ago and Toby stepped in to cover for him. I thought he did a really good job, especially with absolutely no notice.

That was Mark Rodgers. Toby didn't take over the sidelines till last year or maybe the year before.

Soonerfan88
3/22/2011, 04:25 PM
Sorry, my mistake - but he did a good job IMO. Was Mark ever in the running or did he burn too many bridges with unproven insinuations during the Bomar BS?

OU_PhD
3/22/2011, 04:27 PM
Toby has great meter in his speech and timbre in his voice. He almost always knows what is appropriate and when... he almost always hones in on the most interesting detail of a conversation/fact/point etc..

I think he will do a great job.

SoonerMom2
3/22/2011, 05:16 PM

My sentiments exactly! Shows that OU made a very good choice!

Partial Qualifier
3/22/2011, 05:18 PM
I think Toby will do a good job, but I see people's gripe about hiring someone with no experience. Perhaps they wouldn't be so gun-shy about Toby if we didnt suffer through the BBS fiasco

picasso
3/22/2011, 05:25 PM
Agree, but Traber was acting like OU is this huge school and it's embarrassing that they didn't go after a bigger name. It's the radio play by play, why should OU shell out big bucks when they can pay a guy who will do a good job a lot less. And also, OU probably wants consistency and longevity in the person they hire. People enjoyed BB because he'd been there a while. Toby won't be leaving anytime soon...unless he sucks, but that didn't stop them firing BB. In fact I'm sure Toby won't get names mixed up with players that haven't played in five years....

How do we know this? Have you heard a tape of Rowland doing play by play? Has anybody? I hope he's good but Traber has a point.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:26 PM
I think Toby will do a good job, but I see people's gripe about hiring someone with no experience. Perhaps they wouldn't be so gun-shy about Toby if we didnt suffer through the BBS fiasco

IMO that means there is nowhere to go but up.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:30 PM
How do we know this? Have you heard a tape of Rowland doing play by play? Has anybody? I hope he's good but Traber has a point.

Apparently he's done basketball at SNU and has done baseball (OU?) according to others in this thread and the guy is always well spoken on the TV. Traber and some people on here and that were calling in the SA make play by play sound like rocket science. It's not....He's used to being on the radio and tv, has a good voice, and seems quite bright. I personally don't think it'll be too hard for him.

picasso
3/22/2011, 05:33 PM
Apparently he's done basketball at SNU and has done baseball (OU?) according to others in this thread and the guy is always well spoken on the TV. Traber and some people on here and that were calling in the SA make play by play sound like rocket science. It's not....He's used to being on the radio and tv, has a good voice, and seems quite bright. I personally don't think it'll be too hard for him.

Well it does require someone to tell you what is going on during the game in a detailed manner in which to give one listening an idea and mental picture.

Not easily done.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:35 PM
Well it does require someone to tell you what is going on during the game in a detailed manner in which to give one listening an idea and mental picture.

Not easily done.

If he can do basketball, he can do football. Basketball is the hardest play by play to do correctly IMO. Football not so much, if you mess up you can always start over next play.

bigfatjerk
3/22/2011, 05:40 PM
The only thing Jim is saying is that OU took the cheap way out and got a guy that has never done play by play. I think he's probably right on both parts. I'm not sure if Toby Rowland is qualified to do play by play either. He's never done it before.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 05:46 PM
IMO that means there is nowhere to go but up.

Careful there. Do NOT dis BBB.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 05:48 PM
The only thing Jim is saying is that OU took the cheap way out and got a guy that has never done play by play. I think he's probably right on both parts. I'm not sure if Toby Rowland is qualified to do play by play either. He's never done it before.

"Qualified?" It's not like we're voting in a president or the pope of rome. Hell, he doesn't even have to coach. Just say what's happening. Not all that hard for a 37 year old guy I'm thinking.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 05:49 PM

But apparently he has done play by play, just not football. So Jim's only other point is that they took the cheap way out, and honestly why hire a big name when you can get someone who can do it for cheap and is from here and loves the school. I don't know if he'll be good, but I don't think OU would have hired him if was unable to do it. OU's probably knows his capabilities better than Traber or any of us do.

Soonerus
3/22/2011, 05:56 PM
Toby does baseball play by play all of the time and is very good imo...I think he is a great choice for football and baseball...screw Trabor he always seeks an angle to harpoon anything OU or OU related...

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 06:07 PM
At 4:55pm CDT, Traber capitulated after Al and Trammel told him the job was much more than play-by-play and that the guys Traber wanted would not quit their other announcing jobs to do this full-time gig at OU.

It seems Rowland is going to become OU's Ryan Seacrest, acting as spokesman for the upcoming OU Network, coaches' shows and marketing, as well as doing play-by-play.

When that was explained, Traber said, "Fine, I'm just gonna shut-up about it."

Right.

Had to drive back from Tahlequah while all this was going on. It was bad radio, but interesting theater. Better than all the "who's the new coach gonna be?" predictions.

JRAM
3/22/2011, 06:45 PM
David Boren made the announcement today.

FtwTxSooner
3/22/2011, 07:15 PM
Has Toby Rowland ever called a football game in his life? At any level?

I think he called about the last 4 minutes of the 1st half while BBS headed down to the field for BBS Appriciation Day.

OU_PhD
3/22/2011, 07:18 PM
Jim is upset because he thinks he is more qualified than Toby.

Screw Traber, the dude just wants a reaction.

sooner59
3/22/2011, 07:20 PM
You mean Traber took a stance on a subject and lashed out about it...probably calling people names...on a situation in which he was not fully informed of and most likely wrong? I don't believe it! Not Traber! Not the Sports Animal!

sooner59
3/22/2011, 07:20 PM
Jim is upset because he thinks he is more qualified than Toby.

Screw Traber, the dude just wants an erection.

FIFY.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 07:21 PM
You mean Traber took a stance on a subject and lashed out about it...probably calling people names...on a situation in which he was not fully informed of and most likely wrong? I don't believe it! Not Traber! Not the Sports Animal!

I hate how he takes calls and then won't let people speak, it drives me nuts. It's like why they hell are you taking the call anyways, so you can have someone to yell at?

okie52
3/22/2011, 07:39 PM
Maybe Toby will be good, but I was hoping for a more prominent announcer.

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 07:44 PM

Pathetic. Moron. Idiot. Imbecile.

Repeatedly.

He also tried to trash "OU Homers" that obviously like the pick.

I was like, "What?!!!!" Why wouldn't OU Homers want to like the pick? Aren't we supposed to? Is that a problem?

okiewaker
3/22/2011, 07:47 PM
I think Toby Rowland would be good. Screw traber.

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 07:47 PM
Yep

okiewaker
3/22/2011, 07:54 PM
I hate how he takes calls and then won't let people speak, it drives me nuts. It's like why they hell are you taking the call anyways, so you can have someone to yell at?

What drives me nuts is that you cant have an opinion without getting lambasted, although it is supposed to be opinion driven. I got an effin opinion, it is mine, leave me have one,,,,,,,please!!!!!

SoonerPride
3/22/2011, 08:02 PM
What drives me nuts is that you cant have an opinion without getting lambasted, although it is supposed to be opinion driven. I got an effin opinion, it is mine, leave me have one,,,,,,,please!!!!!

I have an opinion of the Sports Animal: it sucks.

Therefore I don't listen to it.

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 08:10 PM
I have an opinion of the Sports Animal: it sucks.

Therefore I don't listen to it.

Yeah.

I drive the company sales van all over the state and when I'm in range, I listen to...well....Tobey on KREF.

Outside OKC I put the Animal on, but only when there is OU or National sports news brewing...like a coaching search, et al.

I realize Traber's caustic ego brings in listeners, but the way he treats his callers makes me TUIMM. I've often considered writing their advertisers, but seriously, Car Dealers? WTF do they care?

okiewaker
3/22/2011, 08:12 PM
I should have took the hint years ago when i was a first time caller (i think 2003) and never reveived my first time caller free meal, i believe it was to the Boars Head, or something like that. Cheepskates.

okiewaker
3/22/2011, 08:20 PM
To be honest I have pocket tunes and now get a kick out of listening to The REV Al Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarpton during the day, off and on. I know, Im sick, but I like to be entertained.

OU_PhD
3/22/2011, 09:04 PM
I am shocked guys like Traber and Eschbach can actually keep a job in this day in age in media, especially when the morons don't even have twitter accounts, can't use the internet and are always 9 hours behind the real news in sports. I mean, come on, you don't have to tweet to use it as a newsgathering device.. I mean it is your career and all.

Sports Animal are stupid to pay these fools...

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 09:11 PM
I am shocked guys like Traber and Eschbach can actually keep a job in this day in age in media, especially when the morons don't even have twitter accounts, can't use the internet and are always 9 hours behind the real news in sports. I mean, come on, you don't have to tweet to use it as a newsgathering device.. I mean it is your career and all.

Sadly, Traber was active on Twitter for a while. He would read his tweet diatribes about politics that made Fox News seem like treehuggers.

Today he went off on Jimmy Carter. Whether you like him or not, the man was a Naval Officer and United States President. Freedom of Speech means Traber can say whatever he likes, to a point, but the things he said were just sad. And I'd ask that you not infer what my opinion is either way of the former President by what I just said, I'm just illuminating what happened today.

picasso
3/22/2011, 09:22 PM

Weird Al might be slow on technology but the guy is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to sports history. Especially OU stuff. Yeah he's a goober but I listen, and apparently others do too otherwise he'd be on permanent vacation.

okiewaker
3/22/2011, 09:32 PM
Al is good and entertaining and full of knowledge as pic said but im not real crazy about the others. I did like to listen to humphreys when he was on. Good luck to Tobey.

picasso
3/22/2011, 09:34 PM
Al is good and entertaining and full of knowledge as pic said but im not real crazy about the others. I did like to listen to humphreys when he was on. Good luck to Tobey.

Hump puts me to sleep.

okiewaker
3/22/2011, 09:43 PM
I like Hump because he is reasonable, and particularly because he is a big golf guy, and so am i. I can see, though, how he can make one sleepy.

picasso
3/22/2011, 09:47 PM
I like Hump because he is reasonable, and particularly because he is a big golf guy, and so am i. I can see, though, how he can make one sleepy.

I'm a big golf guy too but sheesh. He's just a bit slow and Okieish.:) ;)

Lott's Bandana
3/22/2011, 10:23 PM
I'm a big golf guy too but sheesh. He's just a bit slow and Okieish.:) ;)

'Cause he's reading from his yellow legal pad full of statistics.

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 11:18 PM
The morning animals are funny sometimes, and I don't mind BBJ when he's not being bias to OU, too bad he does his show with that dumb *** former poke coach who can't speak right. Mark Rodgers is pretty good too, pretty knowledgable and rational when people disagree, but he sometimes seems like a dumb jock. I was told that he was making fun of high school marching bands once and that really took away some points from me. Traber=dumbass, Al=doesn't seem like he's paying attention half the time.

AlboSooner
3/22/2011, 11:24 PM
I like this hire. Toby does a good job, and doesn't have a deano ego, which is a plus.

SoonerNate
3/22/2011, 11:34 PM
Sadly, Traber was active on Twitter for a while. He would read his tweet diatribes about politics that made Fox News seem like treehuggers.

Today he went off on Jimmy Carter. Whether you like him or not, the man was a Naval Officer and United States President. Freedom of Speech means Traber can say whatever he likes, to a point, but the things he said were just sad. And I'd ask that you not infer what my opinion is either way of the former President by what I just said, I'm just illuminating what happened today.

Why is he still on the air after claiming Westbrook wouldn't be a good guard? If anyone had said that anywhere else he'd have been laughed at but he's in your city!!!

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 08:00 AM
So I see all kinds of people saying Rowland has the job - except anybody from OU.

texaspokieokie
3/23/2011, 08:08 AM
it was in the DMN today.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/23/2011, 08:12 AM
and once again by the reactions on this thread and people who listened, Jim Traber once again showed why he is excellent at what he does...

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 08:14 AM
it was in the DMN today.

Link? I've checked Soonersports.com and nothing.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/23/2011, 08:18 AM
and I was one of those that wanted someone else besides Rowland or Carpenter..But Dean made a good point earlier in the thread about not needing a big timer...maybe the first good point he has ever had...

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 08:41 AM
and I was one of those that wanted someone else besides Rowland or Carpenter..But Dean made a good point earlier in the thread about not needing a big timer...maybe the first good point he has ever had...

You like my one-eye trouser snake's point.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/23/2011, 08:51 AM
Why do you always ghey up the threads?

It gets old....

stoops the eternal pimp
3/23/2011, 08:53 AM
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to c&c dean again?

but giving it to dean is what im good at

SoonerNate
3/23/2011, 12:55 PM
and once again by the reactions on this thread and people who listened, Jim Traber once again showed why he is excellent at what he does...

And what is that? Being an ignorant right winged fat ***?

Wishboned
3/23/2011, 01:21 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/26924/sooners-find-their-new-voice

Oklahoma has found its new play-by-play voice.

On Tuesday, the school named Toby Rowland as radio announcer for the program's football and basketball programs.

Rowland has served as the sideline reporter for football the past two seasons.

"Toby’s spirit and enthusiasm for Oklahoma represent the standard of what we appreciate in an announcer; a standard that was established by men like Bob Barry," OU President David L. Boren said in a release. "He understands our state, our fan base and our tradition of excellence and will approach his job in view of the values that make Oklahoma, our University and our athletics program so great."

Rowland replaces Bob Barry Sr., 80, who retired at the end of basketball season after two stints as the voice of the Sooners, from 1961-72 and from 1991 through this year. He also worked as a play-by-play voice for Oklahoma State basketball between the stints.

Rowland will begin his duties at the Sooners' spring game on April 16.

"I am beyond humbled to be entrusted with a position that has such a rich and storied history at the University of Oklahoma," Rowland said. "I have the greatest respect and admiration for Mr. Barry, Mr. (John) Brooks and all the men who have held the microphone at OU. It is with tremendous enthusiasm and excitement that I look forward to carrying the torch forward in a way that will hopefully make them proud."

Soonerfan88
3/23/2011, 04:04 PM

http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032211aaa.html

Announced yesterday.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/23/2011, 04:05 PM
And what is that? Being an ignorant right winged fat ***?

He gets paid to get people to listen, not like him...And obviously, you have been listening..

Therealsouthsider
3/23/2011, 10:08 PM
... Traber is jealous, it was a brilliant hire by OU.

SS