PDA

View Full Version : Hey Royalfan tell me again why

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 04:59 PM
Corn is gettin so spensive?
Just bot 2 more bags and the dude at the feed store said its going up another buck later this week
was payin 7.75 a 50 lb bag and now its at 8.60 and going to 9.60
whats up?

DIB
3/21/2011, 05:01 PM
That's what happens, when you use food as an inefficient fuel source.

yermom
3/21/2011, 05:07 PM
and the government pays you more to sell it as such

it's the double ****, since it sucks in your car and messes with food prices at the same time

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 05:10 PM

:D Best Post of the day!!!!:D

royalfan5
3/21/2011, 05:18 PM
Because Russia's wheat crop was a massive failure forcing an increased reliance on US milling wheat, and US corn for feed grains worldwide. The United States corn crop was badly hurt by late August heat and dryness, after early heavy rains caused Nitrogen leaching causing the expected yield to drop from 166 per acre to 154, in combination with losing 1 million acres to prevent plant in the Dakotas. Then you had excessive rain during harvest wreck the Aussie wheat crop, forcing heavier reliance on US milling wheat. Ethanol has less to do with than the media would have you believe, just like we all aren't going to get radiation sickness from Japan. The larger issue is that worldwide agriculture has been chronically underinvested in for some time except for Brazil and to a lesser extent China in recent times. Higher prices for a spell are probably the best thing for the world longer term to spur that investment, especially in infrastructure. Even with ethanol usage the United States is exporting as much grain as is physically possible on a weekly basis, and have been for some time. So even without ethanol in the equation, you would still have strong prices, and would have to find a way to plug the hole than DDG's are filling now. You probably see unit trains run into Mexico and then transshiped from there, and corn would still be expensive.

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 05:19 PM
Hell I may have to go up 10 bucks a 1/2 Gallon :eek:

Dude i bheen buyin my Fresh eggs from is going from a Buck 25 to 2 bucks a dozen.

Told him I dint care I like the Farm eggs better than store bot . so ill willingly pay more, and hell eggs are a buck 50 in the stores now

Veritas
3/21/2011, 05:40 PM
The corn that is used as food (for humans, anyway) is not the same as the corn that gets used to create ethanol.

And while I'm on the subject, it's not the same as popcorn. Popcorn, eating corn, and field corn: all different stuff. If you (the royal you, not you specifically, DIB) weren't aware of this, simmer down with the opinions on ag and commodities.

rf5 said it in more detail, but the reason corn and other commodity prices are high is crappy yields all over the world for all kinds of reasons.

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks V, I knew there was a reason just couldnt remember what it was

The deer better get ready to be eating More grass, Cause they been going thru 50 Lbs every other day:eek:

soonerhubs
3/21/2011, 06:00 PM
It's gone up cause Hillbillies keep feeding the damn wildlife rather than letting natural selection do it's work! ;)

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks V, I knew there was a reason just couldnt remember what it was

The deer better get ready to be eating More grass, Cause they been going thru 50 Lbs every other day:eek:

If we don't get some galdamn rain you're gonna still be feeding corn in June.

What's interesting is that my neighbors who farm field corn (well they do sweet corn too) have made a killing this year. We had a pretty good year in South/Central OK (compared to up north).

Speaking of dry, I'm still selling hay to people who usually quit buying by now cause they're starting to get some pasture (rye or the winter wheat they sowed in the fall). They ain't getting either one. It's good for a hay guy like me, but bad for the poor bastard raising stock.

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 06:10 PM
It's gone up cause Hillbillies keep feeding the damn wildlife rather than letting natural selection do it's work! ;)

Hell If I dint feed em Id have to get off my fat *** and get out in the woods to see em :eek:

If we don't get some galdamn rain you're gonna still be feeding corn in June.

What's interesting is that my neighbors who farm field corn (well they do sweet corn too) have made a killing this year. We had a pretty good year in South/Central OK (compared to up north).

Speaking of dry, I'm still selling hay to people who usually quit buying by now cause they're starting to get some pasture (rye or the winter wheat they sowed in the fall). They ain't getting either one. It's good for a hay guy like me, but bad for the poor bastard raising stock.

Yup we been on a Burn Ban for 3 weeks now. It may be good for you now, But it wont be later on when theres none to cut

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 06:24 PM
Hell If I dint feed em Id have to get off my fat *** and get out in the woods to see em :eek:

Yup we been on a Burn Ban for 3 weeks now. It may be good for you now, But it wont be later on when theres none to cut

Oh don't I know it. I need about 2 more weeks of dry, then let it rain...

Actually, I've been praying for rain since January.

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 06:32 PM
Oh don't I know it. I need about 2 more weeks of dry, then let it rain...

Actually, I've been praying for rain since January.

The forecast says we have a chance this weekend here, then a decent shot for some next wed.

Ya want I should come do a Natty Rain dance for ya ?:D

AlboSooner
3/21/2011, 07:20 PM
The corn that is used as food (for humans, anyway) is not the same as the corn that gets used to create ethanol.

And while I'm on the subject, it's not the same as popcorn. Popcorn, eating corn, and field corn: all different stuff. If you (the royal you, not you specifically, DIB) weren't aware of this, simmer down with the opinions on ag and commodities.

rf5 said it in more detail, but the reason corn and other commodity prices are high is crappy yields all over the world for all kinds of reasons.

Good post.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 07:25 PM
The forecast says we have a chance this weekend here, then a decent shot for some next wed.

Ya want I should come do a Natty Rain dance for ya ?:D

Get your pathetically white *** out there and dance like an Obama. We need some moisture. In a bad way.

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 07:27 PM
Get your pathetically white *** out there and dance like an Obama. We need some moisture. In a bad way.

:D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Sooner5030
3/21/2011, 08:30 PM
another reason.......the increase of $/FRNs in circulation was greater than the increase in production of corn, wheat, cotton, silver, gold, oil, and a basket of 12 other goods over the same period.

Corn isn't the only thing that increased in price with respect to $.

I Am Right
3/21/2011, 08:37 PM

Good Post DIB, I'm a hopeless dumbass.

soonercruiser
3/21/2011, 10:15 PM

Yes, and "no".
It also has to do with a limited amout of acreage./...now producing a different type of corn - "other than food".

Big U.S. Corn Crop Is Forecast By USDA, While Iowa's Crop Is Expected To Be 5% Smaller Than Last Year
http://wallacesfarmer.com/story.aspx/big/us/corn/crop/is/forecast/by/usda/while/iowas/crop/is/expected/to/be/5/smaller/than/last/year/9/41058

U.S. Corn-Production Estimate Reduced 1.5% After August Midwest Heat Wave
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-10/u-s-corn-production-estimate-reduced-1-5-after-august-midwest-heat-wave.html

Corn Crop 2010: Food, Fuel, Feed and Folk Art
by Debora Dragseth 11/06/2010
The harvest of this year’s U.S. corn crop is about 90 percent complete, and it is going to be a bin-buster.
http://www.newgeography.com/content/001849-corn-crop-2010-food-fuel-feed-and-folk-art