PDA

View Full Version : So, how long before we know who are next coach is?

OU_Sooners75
3/21/2011, 12:22 PM
I know if they have a strong interest in a coach that is still in the tourney they have to wait to contact him or make that decision.

But isn't signing day next month? If so, shouldn't OU be fairly quick to find a coach so we do not lose out on recruits because of the indecision?

With Marquette winning in the tourney right now, I highly doubt that Williams will leave Marquette to take over a program that he has to rebuild.

And if he does come to OU, and if he continues to win, it may be 2 more weeks or longer before we know who our new coach will be. Leaving only a couple weeks for recruiting.

:(

I may be a big fan of Terry Evans, but I do want OU to have a coach that wants to be here and that is a good fit for our program and our future.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 01:27 PM
Haven't you been reading the threads? All the geniuses here already have our coach picked. I wonder if they've told Joe C. yet...:rolleyes:

Me personally? I like Evans. Everybody is saying we have to get a "name" coach to win. I say horse****. If Sherri can come out of high school and do what she's done with the girls, I believe Evans can come outta UCO and do at least as good. Besides, he's an OU guy, and I like how he coaches his team.

The Maestro
3/21/2011, 01:36 PM
Still wondering how Sherri Coale's success at OU with women's hoops has anything to do with Terry Evans being the best choice for the men's team.

As for him being "an OU guy"...hell, I hear Angelo Hamilton, Skeeter Henry and Les Pace are available for assistant coaching gigs with Terry Evans, too! All OU guys!

Bud Wilkinson - Minnesota
Barry Switzer - Arkansas
Bob Stoops - Iowa
Billy Tubbs - Lamar

You get the point...

toast
3/21/2011, 01:39 PM
:pop:

Eielson
3/21/2011, 01:43 PM
Haven't you been reading the threads? All the geniuses here already have our coach picked. I wonder if they've told Joe C. yet...:rolleyes:

Me personally? I like Evans. Everybody is saying we have to get a "name" coach to win. I say horse****. If Sherri can come out of high school and do what she's done with the girls, I believe Evans can come outta UCO and do at least as good. Besides, he's an OU guy, and I like how he coaches his team.

Sounds like you already have our coach picked. You better hurry and tell Joe C. :P

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 02:44 PM
Still wondering how Sherri Coale's success at OU with women's hoops has anything to do with Terry Evans being the best choice for the men's team.

As for him being "an OU guy"...hell, I hear Angelo Hamilton, Skeeter Henry and Les Pace are available for assistant coaching gigs with Terry Evans, too! All OU guys!

Barry Switzer - Arkansas
Bob Stoops - Iowa
Billy Tubbs - Lamar

You get the point...

Huh? Barry was an assistant under Fairbanks. Bob was an assistant under Spurrier. Lamar? WTF are you talking about?

I guess I'm not getting your point at all. Are you saying Terry Evans can't coach because he went to OU? You lost me holmes.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 02:46 PM
Sounds like you already have our coach picked. You better hurry and tell Joe C. :P

Nay. I said I like Evans. I didn't say I didn't like anybody else. My only deal is all the people acting like coach "X" is it. In concrete. Like they're inside Joe C's head or something. All I wanted to know is where are they getting their info from? Is it just what they are hoping for, or have they actually heard something concrete (and by concrete I don't mean Gottlip on the spin)?

I'm just stating my opinion on who I like who is a KNOWN available coach and who would come to OU in a heartbeat if offered.

yankee
3/21/2011, 02:54 PM
Who knows when we'll get a coach? I'm assuming it'll be with in the next week or two for recruiting purposes. Though I'd totally be cool with Joe C making it happen sooner rather than later that way I don't have to hear people BS about what they know or who they know or why so and so sucks.

fwsooner22
3/21/2011, 02:55 PM
Here is what we know based on SF poster information. Nobody from Marquette would come to OU because, well it's beneath them, Richmond and Butler coaches ? Ditto. The job is not that good anyway because well, it's OU basketball and nobody wants to be part of that. Oh yeah and forget anybody from the program cuz well, they stink.

I'd be chewed up and spit out if I posted that crap about OU football or heck even cheerleaders for that matter.

Like Dean has indicated many times it's a Joe "C" hire and how many of us have ever guessed one of those right? Not me, that's for sure but he has done one heckuva a job (except for lightening my wallet). It's gonna work out. Can we give another day or two and stop ripping our own program ?

The Maestro
3/21/2011, 04:19 PM
Well, the Norman Transcript seems to think Joe C. is in hot pursuit of Buzz...

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x10254479/Great-buzz-on-Buzz

And Dean, pretty simple message to follow. You like Terry cause "he's an OU guy"...meaning, he went to OU. Cause he hasn't coached there or done anything basketball related there since his playing days were done.

I simply put where the greatest coaches in OU sports all attended college...Minnesota, Arkansas, Iowa and Lamar. Being "an OU guy" has never been a measure for success in coaching at OU. Hell, even Sherri Coale was "an Oklahoma Christian gal".

We all know the decision is Joe C.'s, not ours, and we can trust him with that decision based on his past. I'm just hopeful the Transcript sources are credible...

oumartin
3/21/2011, 04:58 PM
Joe C. actually asked permission to speak with Brad Stevens and his response was that it's hard to recruit kids to play in that sh!thole where they play basketball games.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 06:15 PM
Well, the Norman Transcript seems to think Joe C. is in hot pursuit of Buzz...

http://normantranscript.com/sports/x10254479/Great-buzz-on-Buzz

And Dean, pretty simple message to follow. You like Terry cause "he's an OU guy"...meaning, he went to OU. Cause he hasn't coached there or done anything basketball related there since his playing days were done.

I simply put where the greatest coaches in OU sports all attended college...Minnesota, Arkansas, Iowa and Lamar. Being "an OU guy" has never been a measure for success in coaching at OU. Hell, even Sherri Coale was "an Oklahoma Christian gal".

We all know the decision is Joe C.'s, not ours, and we can trust him with that decision based on his past. I'm just hopeful the Transcript sources are credible...

You read that rag?

Who knows who we'll get. I don't know a damn thing about Buzz Lightyear except what all you guys are suddenly slobbering all over his knob. When I read **** like "Marquette is a lateral to OU" I just have to go "some people are really dumb." The potential at OU is so much > Marquette it isn't funny. A coach that would stay at Marquette/Butler/VCU/Any mid major over an identical or better deal at OU is a retard. Are we a great BB school? Oh hells no. Our fans suck the foreskin of a syphillitic mule. All 7 of them. Is there potential at OU? Oh hells yes. You just have to win, and win all the time. While all the "fans" are calling you every kind of POS there is.

OU is a tough job, but it's better than any of the mids.

The Maestro
3/21/2011, 06:31 PM
I don't read it...just showed the link since they are at least throwing it out there.

And I couldn't agree with you more on the Marquette/Butler/etc. being better than OU. Not by a longshot. If Joe C. can't sell that, then it is a Joe C. problem.

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2011, 06:33 PM

Barry Switzer - Arkansas
Bob Stoops - Iowa
Billy Tubbs - Lamar

You get the point...

I'm holding out for Jason Skurcenski.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 06:42 PM
I don't read it...just showed the link since they are at least throwing it out there.

And I couldn't agree with you more on the Marquette/Butler/etc. being better than OU. Not by a longshot. If Joe C. can't sell that, then it is a Joe C. problem.

Agree. Now if we could get a guy who'd win for a few years, then rebuild that POS arena known as the LNC we might attract more fans. Might. Man that place sucks on TV, and it sucks watching a game there. Just my O.

Sooner95
3/21/2011, 06:51 PM
Personally I think that's a big part of the problem. Playing in LNC is like playing in a 4-H arena..it blows.

As far as coaching, just get someone in that can recruit and win.

Soonerjeepman
3/21/2011, 07:08 PM
You like Terry cause "he's an OU guy"...meaning, he went to OU. Cause he hasn't coached there or done anything basketball related there since his playing days were done.

I.

actually Evans was here at OU in the bball program under Sampson, I believe...Basketball Operations or something..he also did asst coaching gigs at I believe TCU....

it's not like he hasn't coached anywhere...

even Tubbs said if ya can coach D3, D2 ya can coach D1...

NOT saying he is it...but definitely worth looking at IMHO...

Eielson
3/21/2011, 07:16 PM
A coach that would stay at Marquette/Butler/VCU/Any mid major over an identical or better deal at OU is a retard.

Marquette isn't a mid-major. They play in the Big East, and they love their basketball there. It's all they have, and they were top 10 in attendance last year. It's also a Catholic school, so he gets to do things like pray with the team. I'd imagine that's a big plus for him. Honestly, with the NCAA investigation, and our situation in our conference, I'd say calling Marquette to Oklahoma a lateral move might be generous. Buzz has spent most his life in Oklahoma and Texas, and recruits best in Texas, so we might get him that way, though.

Oklahoma certainly is an upgrade from Butler, but as I understand it, there are some family issues for Stevens that could keep him there. Even without that, I think thing that would keep him from coming here is the fact that he could go pretty much anywhere. He is probably the hottest name in coaching searches right now.

VCU...we aren't doing that for obvious reasons.

Memphis is a mid-major, but they're still a better basketball school than us. You should see the class Pastner put together last year, and Fed Ex seems like they'll bring some financial help.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 07:23 PM
Marquette isn't a mid-major. They play in the Big East, and they love their basketball there. It's all they have, and they were top 10 in attendance last year. It's also a Catholic school, so he gets to do things like pray with the team. I'd imagine that's a big plus for him. Honestly, with the NCAA investigation, and our situation in our conference, I'd say calling Marquette to Oklahoma a lateral move might be generous. Buzz has spent most his life in Oklahoma and Texas, and recruits best in Texas, so we might get him that way, though.

Oklahoma certainly is an upgrade from Butler, but as I understand it, there are some family issues for Stevens that could keep him there. Even without that, I think thing that would keep him from coming here is the fact that he could go pretty much anywhere. He is probably the hottest name in coaching searches right now.

VCU...we aren't doing that for obvious reasons.

Memphis is a mid-major, but they're still a better basketball school than us. You should see the class Pastner put together last year, and Fed Ex seems like they'll bring some financial help.

You're young. You're looking at things from within the past 5-10 years...max. No, Marquette/Butler/Memphis or any other team you've mentioned is anywhere close to what a guy could do at Oklahoma. Not even close. Only problem is, you have to recruit/coach your mother****ing *** off. Who is willing to do it? We'll see, but I like the fact that Joe C pretty much told Capel "this ain't it." We'll see what the future holds.

oumartin
3/21/2011, 08:06 PM
NC's

Marquette-1
OU-0

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 08:20 PM
You got a point marty? Oh. Marquette is a better job than OU. Got it. Guess we'll be damned lucky to convince Terry Evans to come back to Norman since it's such a bad job.

oumartin
3/21/2011, 08:45 PM
Do you have a point Deano?

SoonerReverend
3/21/2011, 08:56 PM
We don't need a big name to win, we need a cheater back in here to win. Bring on Bruce Pearl.

sperry
3/21/2011, 10:22 PM
You got a point marty? Oh. Marquette is a better job than OU. Got it. Guess we'll be damned lucky to convince Terry Evans to come back to Norman since it's such a bad job.

Marquette is at least as good a job as OU. Why would the guy want to leave a good program with a good team coming back to coach somewhere else that isn't any better?

yankee
3/22/2011, 12:42 AM
Marquette is at least as good a job as OU. Why would the guy want to leave a good program with a good team coming back to coach somewhere else that isn't any better?

+1

Buzz is super popular at Marquette, has a good chunk of his squad coming back next season, has a very good recruiting class coming in, and home games are played in front of 15,000+. I don't see how that isn't as good or better situation than we currently have at OU. I don't see what the Wayman days or the Kelvin days have to do with hiring a coach in the present. Yes, OU has a very good basketball history. But so does Marquette.

Having said all that, I really really really really want Buzz Williams to be the next coach at OU.

zandozan
3/22/2011, 12:44 AM
Different jobs mean different things to different people. Buzz might like Marquette more because of the religious thing and not care about OU's potential or his ties to the area. Other coaches might not give a crap about getting to pray with the boys and say I'm outta here. Without any clear cut differences in schools it's pretty hard to say definitively which is better. It becomes pretty subjective.

I do think OU has great potential though. It's like a sleeping giant waiting to be awoken. We get the right guy in here, I think the fans will come back. I would love to see Terry Evans get a shot.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 08:45 AM
+1

Buzz is super popular at Marquette, has a good chunk of his squad coming back next season, has a very good recruiting class coming in, and home games are played in front of 15,000+. I don't see how that isn't as good or better situation than we currently have at OU. I don't see what the Wayman days or the Kelvin days have to do with hiring a coach in the present. Yes, OU has a very good basketball history. But so does Marquette.

Having said all that, I really really really really want Buzz Williams to be the next coach at OU.

You guys are short-sighted. Yes, TODAY, Marquette is a better program than OU. Hell, UCO is a better program. At least you said "currently" in your post.

If Williams wants a true challenge - with all sorts of upside, and if he's half the coach y'all think he is, OU would be a far superior job. He'd have to work his *** off, but I'm convinced if we could ever put a serious contender on the court - year in and year out - OU basketball would take off. Some of you might say "Kelvin had good teams every year" and most of the time, he did. However, watching the excruciatingly boring 51-45 games every night pretty much ran all the fans off. We get a guy who coaches a team that can score 70-80+ points a night, and play total lockdown defense the fans will come. So would a new arena. IMO, Lloyd Noble is one of the largest factors in the lack of support. It's a dead house.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/22/2011, 09:35 AM
John Blake was an OU guy :ducks:

fwsooner22
3/22/2011, 09:39 AM
You guys are short-sighted. Yes, TODAY, Marquette is a better program than OU. Hell, UCO is a better program. At least you said "currently" in your post.

If Williams wants a true challenge - with all sorts of upside, and if he's half the coach y'all think he is, OU would be a far superior job. He'd have to work his *** off, but I'm convinced if we could ever put a serious contender on the court - year in and year out - OU basketball would take off. Some of you might say "Kelvin had good teams every year" and most of the time, he did. However, watching the excruciatingly boring 51-45 games every night pretty much ran all the fans off. We get a guy who coaches a team that can score 70-80+ points a night, and play total lockdown defense the fans will come. So would a new arena. IMO, Lloyd Noble is one of the largest factors in the lack of support. It's a dead house.

That is dead on. I remember the first time I set foot in that concrete pit and thought .... really ? this is for basketball ? I will say I think I was like 14 or 15 at the time but it just didn't feel or smell like basketball.

Please let it be someone who wants to play and not milk the clock and cross your fingers.

The Maestro
3/22/2011, 10:29 AM

Buzz is from Texas and graduated college in Oklahoma...cut his coaching teeth in this area and can recruit it like crazy.

And as far as Terry Evans supporters, what is the furthest he has gone with UCO at the D2 level? I mean, MAYBE if he had been hanging banners there, but Buzz is going a lot further, Brad Stevens, too, at the D1 level than Terry is at the D2 level.

Salt City Sooner
3/22/2011, 11:26 AM
Sampson's teams averaged at least 70 PPG in 9 of his 12 seasons at OU, & for those who might think that they only averaged that much by running it up on Bo Diddley Tech in the non conference portion of the slate, the first year that a KS team didn't average at least 70 in conference play only was the elite 8 team of '03.

yankee
3/22/2011, 11:51 AM

There's plenty of upside at OU, but how is there not any at Marquette? If he wants a challenge and to work his *** off, all he has to do is stay at Marquette. He's a coach at a private school in the toughest (allegedly) conference in college basketball.

oumartin
3/22/2011, 12:00 PM
if you guys bothered to read what some of us type you would see that I have propped up OU's bball program. pointing out the winning history over the past 30 years or so and how we are up there with some of the best(minus the NC's)

problem is when Calvin left the program had a black eye thanks to him. Tough to find a coach who wants to come into that situation.

Now, We have endured 2 back to back losing seasons, **** poor attendance, and still yet another NCAA investigation.

Programs like Marquette and Butler are on pretty solid footing right now and it might be hard for a coach to take that leap when he knows he has it pretty dang good where he's at.

OU_Sooners75
3/22/2011, 12:26 PM

Barry Switzer - Arkansas
Bob Stoops - Iowa
Billy Tubbs - Lamar

You get the point...

Well, since you are putting Coaches Alma Mater, Terry Evans - OU! ;)

But, in all seriousness, I do not think anyone is saying Terry Evans is the best choice...I, like many others, are saying that it really does not matter where the coach comes from. They are either going to be successful or not.

And that being said, what makes anyone thing that Evans will not be successful here?

Is it because he coaches at UCO? Is if because he has an overall coaching record of 263-87? Is it because he was an assistant under Billy Tubbs at TCU? Is it because he was 100-11 at Midwest City? Or is it because he was Director of Basketball Operations under Sampson until 2001-2002?

While all you guys are against the hiring of Evans, everyone is mentioning the Johnny-Come-Lately's.

Buzz Williams 2 years HC experience.
Pastner 2 Years HC Experience.

The only one any mentioned that has a good amount of experience is Brad Stevens.

Seriously, can you or anyone else give me a valid reason (other than he has no D1 hc experience) why Evans is a bad hire?

FWIW, every head coach in D1 had to start as a D1 head coach with no d1 HC experience!

I swear some of you are all entwined with the new hot names of basketball!

OU_Sooners75
3/22/2011, 12:30 PM

Want to bet?

He was Sampson's Director of Basketball Operations before he got the UCO job in 2002.

Pretty ignorant statement for you Maestro!

Sooner_Bob
3/22/2011, 12:38 PM
It's basketball . . . if you coach at one level you can coach at the next level.

You just have to be smart and utilize the tools provided to you.

I could live with Terry Evans being named head coach.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 01:04 PM
if you guys bothered to read what some of us type you would see that I have propped up OU's bball program. pointing out the winning history over the past 30 years or so and how we are up there with some of the best(minus the NC's)

problem is when Calvin left the program had a black eye thanks to him. Tough to find a coach who wants to come into that situation.

Now, We have endured 2 back to back losing seasons, **** poor attendance, and still yet another NCAA investigation.

Programs like Marquette and Butler are on pretty solid footing right now and it might be hard for a coach to take that leap when he knows he has it pretty dang good where he's at.

Wow. For you, this is a pretty dang cogent post. I agree, it would be really hard to come from Marquette or Butler to OU right now. Either of these guys would have to have balls of titanium to take that leap. No guts, no glory though.

One other thing marty, yes, marquette has 1 from back in the day, but we ****ing should too. Somebody needs to do a post-season comparison between them and us and see which "program" has been more successful overall. I'm fairly confident it'd be us.

sperry
3/22/2011, 01:15 PM
Wow. For you, this is a pretty dang cogent post. I agree, it would be really hard to come from Marquette or Butler to OU right now. Either of these guys would have to have balls of titanium to take that leap. No guts, no glory though.

One other thing marty, yes, marquette has 1 from back in the day, but we ****ing should too. Somebody needs to do a post-season comparison between them and us and see which "program" has been more successful overall. I'm fairly confident it'd be us.

Marquette has more national championships, more tournament appearances, and more sweet sixteens.

OU has one more final four than Marquette.

The total tournament wins are equal.

The programs are just about identical, but Marquette has a better arena, is a basketball school, and is in much better shape right now.

The Maestro
3/22/2011, 01:51 PM
Want to bet?

He was Sampson's Director of Basketball Operations before he got the UCO job in 2002.

Pretty ignorant statement for you Maestro!

Oooooohhh! Director of Basketball Operations!

Basketball secretary...make the hotel arrangements on the road, decide where to eat, etc.

NOTHING to do with coaching.

I said it a long time ago...big Terry Evans fan. Class guy and got to know him while I was at OU and we had some business classes together. He has not even been a key assistant at the D1 level...Buzz was a key assistant and recruiter at Texas A&M when the program went from non-existent to completely relevant. Now he has a team in the Sweet 16. No comparison.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 02:08 PM
Marquette has more national championships, more tournament appearances, and more sweet sixteens.

OU has one more final four than Marquette.

The total tournament wins are equal.

The programs are just about identical, but Marquette has a better arena, is a basketball school, and is in much better shape right now.

Good. Sounds like we get Evans.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 02:09 PM
Oooooohhh! Director of Basketball Operations!

Basketball secretary...make the hotel arrangements on the road, decide where to eat, etc.

NOTHING to do with coaching.

I said it a long time ago...big Terry Evans fan. Class guy and got to know him while I was at OU and we had some business classes together. He has not even been a key assistant at the D1 level...Buzz was a key assistant and recruiter at Texas A&M when the program went from non-existent to completely relevant. Now he has a team in the Sweet 16. No comparison.

Dude, it's basketball, not football. Five black dudes. The key is recruiting the right ones, then getting them to communicate and work together. After that, ain't much to it. Like many have said, if you can coach good hoops, you can do it at pretty much any level.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/22/2011, 02:12 PM
Im available

The Maestro
3/22/2011, 03:01 PM
Dude, it's basketball, not football. Five black dudes. The key is recruiting the right ones, then getting them to communicate and work together. After that, ain't much to it. Like many have said, if you can coach good hoops, you can do it at pretty much any level.

I'd agree, except history says you are wrong. The sport seems totally driven by the coaching. I'm not a coach or player, so I don't know. But almost every year the same teams are rock solid...

Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan State...eh, the list stops now. Main thing? Great coaches at all those places.

If it is just recruit and roll a ball out there, hire Marissa Miller as the coach. The boys will show up!

OULenexaman
3/22/2011, 03:33 PM
Dude, it's basketball, not football. Five black dudes.

Or in the case of Wisconsin it's four white guys and one black dude..

Ruf/Nek7
3/22/2011, 03:43 PM
Supposedly Pat Forde announced the signing of Buzz is "very likely" we just have to wait for Marquette's run to end and then we have to pay 3 million to buyout his contract. Just what I heard

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 04:05 PM
I'd agree, except history says you are wrong. The sport seems totally driven by the coaching. I'm not a coach or player, so I don't know. But almost every year the same teams are rock solid...

Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan State...eh, the list stops now. Main thing? Great coaches at all those places.

If it is just recruit and roll a ball out there, hire Marissa Miller as the coach. The boys will show up!

Answer me this. What do Duke, NC, KU, Kentucky, OSU, and MSU got that OU doesn't? Top. Recruits. Yes, they have great coaches, but they have all-world talent year in/year out. There's top players who would go to Duke to sit the bench before they'd come to OU to start.

Last year is a perfect example. Capel got some alleged "top talent" in his Mickey D's boys - and we all saw what happened. Was that all due to poor coaching? Maybe, but I think it's more on evaluation of talent/player.

Duke and KU seem to always have several good white players every year too. You know, players who don't have to be the "pulaya" and are happy playing within a system where the best of their talents compliment each other? Yes, it takes a coach to lay out the system and hold their feet to the fire, but when you've got knuckleheads who won't play within the system any coach looks bad. Of course schools like Duke/KU also have serious depth where they can afford to lose a knucklehead or two as well.

Soonerjeepman
3/22/2011, 04:32 PM
Or in the case of Wisconsin it's four white guys and one black dude..

LOL...yup...I noticed 1 time during the ksu/uw game...each were opposite..

Wisc - 4 white guys 1 black guy
Ksu - 4 black guys 1 white guy...

also thought Martin was EXTREMELY calm...someone must have said...you can't say "slow the $u*& down" to your players on National TV...looks bad...LOL

The Maestro
3/22/2011, 04:34 PM
Chicken vs. egg debate. Either way, OU hasn't been accused of either in the last two years. Great coaching or players.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 04:55 PM
Chicken vs. egg debate. Either way, OU hasn't been accused of either in the last two years. Great coaching or players.

Agreed. Time to move on...

badger
3/25/2011, 11:23 AM
Day 11, guys and still no new coach. Some article I read said we hired Capel after 13 days, and if we can assume that a coach we are after is getting ousted in the Sweet 16, we might be hiring someone within the next few days.

BUT!

Also, I just read on some blog that it would cost us $7.8 million to switch from Capel to Buzz. That's:

$3.8 million to buy out Buzz from Marquette
$2 million (estimated annual rate for Buzz, giving him a raise that it would take to get him to leave his $1.6/$1.7 mil salary at MU)
$2 million (Capel's buyout)

$7.8 million. We are NOT getting Buzz, guys. That's waaaay too much money for the savvy businessman Joe C.

As it is right now, we are at least on the hook for $2 million, unless, like I suspect, Joe C. is gonna try to attach some strings.

(Threaten to escrow the money pending the results of an NCAA investigation, if Capel found guilty, he gets nothing and terminated with cause, thus, Capel, with his law savvy wife settle for less than the contract stipulated $2 mil to avoid ending up with nothing)

But, let's assume that we have to pay Capel the contract stipulated amount. We either toss $2 million at a new coach without a buyout and get on the hook for $4 million through this ordeal, or we go after a younger hotshot that might command the $750k that we started Capel at.

Hmmmmm... $2.75 mil, $4 mil or $7.8 mil... I wonder what number Joe C is aiming for with this money losing program

SoonerMom2
3/25/2011, 03:52 PM
Just remember that those buyouts are negotiable -- doesn't mean that Marquette would get what they say the buyout clause is or even get it right away. West Virginia found that out with Michigan.

You also have to subtract the salary that Capel was getting.

badger
3/25/2011, 04:03 PM
You also have to subtract the salary that Capel was getting.

Not really. We would either be paying Capel a salary or a buyout so long as there wasn't cause for firing (i.e. NCAA penalties). So, I charged the buyout, as we are no longer paying him a salary.

Unlike some other schools in the Big 12, we don't continue to pay coaches that no longer coach for us or are even at our school :D

SoonerMom2
3/25/2011, 08:47 PM
Never have understood teams that keep paying coaches that no longer coach at their university. Thanks for the update!

SoonerMom2
3/25/2011, 08:49 PM
BTW, Gov Fallin appointed Clay Bennett, owner of the Thunder, to the OU Board of Regents today.

kelloggOUballa
3/25/2011, 08:58 PM
True, basketball is losing money lately, but it's not like our Athletics Department as a whole is hurting for money. Joe C. will easily pay the one-time 7.8 million if it brings Mr. Williams to Norman.

Ruf/Nek7
3/25/2011, 09:29 PM
Oh yes Buzz will be ours, he will be ours. Do you accept...cash?

LiveLaughLove
3/25/2011, 10:45 PM
Oh yes Buzz will be ours, he will be ours. Do you accept...cash?

<all together> Excellent!</all together>

kelloggOUballa
3/26/2011, 04:43 AM
07G23zMGa4g

lexred
3/26/2011, 08:01 AM
BTW, Gov Fallin appointed Clay Bennett, owner of the Thunder, to the OU Board of Regents today.

Gaylord son-in law so the beat goes on. Not a bad thing at all given the Gaylord Family support to OU.