PDA

View Full Version : Millionaires.....

KuppiKunta
3/21/2011, 08:39 AM
How many on this board?

I may be over a Million in debt, just wondered how many others and vice/versa.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/21/2011, 08:42 AM
self made thousandaire right here

MamaMia
3/21/2011, 08:59 AM
Count me out as being a member of the Millionaires Club. :D

SanJoaquinSooner
3/21/2011, 09:00 AM
Can public servants count their projected pensions?

dynersooner
3/21/2011, 09:08 AM
where is socali? figured he'd sniff this thread out, and be the first to reply in the affirmative...

SoonerBorn68
3/21/2011, 09:16 AM
Dollars or pennies?

Mongo
3/21/2011, 09:18 AM
I am a broke dick, but con people into thinking I have money:D

The Profit
3/21/2011, 09:19 AM
In cash, or assets?

Adrian
3/21/2011, 09:29 AM
where is socali? figured he'd sniff this thread out, and be the first to reply in the affirmative...

Shut it, newb.

MamaMia
3/21/2011, 09:44 AM
In cash, or assets?I'm assuming it would be the figure you claim as income on your taxes. :confused:

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/21/2011, 09:49 AM
If someone is a true millionaire and continues to work for it I highly doubt they have time to post on message boards

Mjcpr
3/21/2011, 09:49 AM
I am Mjcpr, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht.

Veritas
3/21/2011, 09:50 AM
I'm assuming it would be the figure you claim as income on your taxes. :confused:
If you're claming a mil on your income taxes, you're way past being a millionaire. And you might need a new accountant.

Most accurate definition is net worth (assets - liabilities).

Mongo
3/21/2011, 09:58 AM

Does your yacht have two fireplaces too?

Mjcpr
3/21/2011, 09:59 AM
Does your yacht have two fireplaces too?

No, just my mansion.

Did you idiots not watch Bugs Bunny or what? Geez.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 10:02 AM
Most accurate definition is net worth (assets - liabilities).

By said definition, my answer is no.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 10:08 AM
If I can count my income, post on message boards, xbox gamer score, number of OU sporting events I've seen, miles I've traveled, women I've slept with, and ****s I've taken, my net worth is probably over a million....

If we have a millionaire on this site he should have connections to the AD and therefore we should always have the inside scoop on everything OU sporting.

sooneron
3/21/2011, 10:09 AM
Nah, we have david's tweets for that!

dynersooner
3/21/2011, 10:34 AM
By said definition, my answer is no.

What if i defined it as, take all the money you have saved up right now, subtract non-housing related debt, and multiply by 1,000,000.

Now are you a Millionaire?

MamaMia
3/21/2011, 10:48 AM
I am Mjcpr, millionaire, I own a mansion and a yacht.and a chiminea. :P

texaspokieokie
3/21/2011, 10:49 AM
and a chia pet.

cccasooner2
3/21/2011, 10:51 AM
I bring in a seven figure income but the seven figures I pimp out are over the hill and haven't turned a trick in years. I think I need a new occupation.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 10:54 AM
and a chiminea. :P

Poor people can't afford to have fireplace just for the backyard... :D

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 11:13 AM
Net worth....answer would be yes.....

I still work as hard or harder than I ever have....no one gave me anything....never took 1 day of unemployment from the gubment......worked a lot of jobs to support my family....had 3 at one time once.

Being a millionaire isnt what it might have been years ago. The closest thing I get to feeling rich is OU Football in HD:D :D

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 11:14 AM
Now if ya wanna talk debt........:eek:

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 11:18 AM
Now if ya wanna talk debt........:eek:

If you have tons of debt I don't consider you a millionaire even if your "net worth" says otherwise.

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 11:31 AM
:D

yermom
3/21/2011, 11:37 AM
If you have tons of debt I don't consider you a millionaire even if your "net worth" says otherwise.

i'm not sure i follow this statement

maybe my definition of "net worth" is off...

DIB
3/21/2011, 11:39 AM
i'm not sure i follow this statement

maybe my definition of "net worth" is off...

Net worth is assets-liabilities. If assets - liabilities > 1MM, then you are a millionaire. I don't think that it is your definition that is off.

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 12:10 PM

Just griping about debt....nothing to fear. My math is solid......;) :D .

soonerscuba
3/21/2011, 12:20 PM
Fidelity ran a survey of their clients and found out that it takes like $7.5m in assets for someone to "feel" rich. I support the idea that people measure themselves against their neighbors more than the national average. This is why people claim that in NYC $250k isn't rich despite the average salary even in NYC being $63k, the reasoning is that there is a possibility for a dentist making $250k to be in the same building as a hedge fund manager making $15m, ergo the dentist doesn't "feel" rich as compared to what he could reason are his peers.

And to answer the OP, nope but I exist happily with what I have, which is all I want.

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 12:22 PM
OU Football in HD makes anyone feel rich............wooo hoooo!!!!!!:D

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 12:25 PM
Just griping about debt....nothing to fear. My math is solid......;) :D .

Sorry wasn't claiming you weren't. It's just hard for me to fathom why someone with a lot of money, especially a millionaire would have debt...

soonerscuba
3/21/2011, 12:29 PM
Sorry wasn't claiming you weren't. It's just hard for me to fathom why someone with a lot of money, especially a millionaire would have debt...It is common for people to finance the initial capital for a partnership, so it probably happens more than you would think. I also think it's probably more common than it should be for those people to have debt on depreciating assets and mortgages, can't buy savvy.

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry wasn't claiming you weren't. It's just hard for me to fathom why someone with a lot of money, especially a millionaire would have debt...

No offense taken at all....just funnin':D

Seriously though, the debt is all part of the deal. I had to take on a huge amount of debt in the beginning to get the business off the ground. The hard part is turning that debt into $$ for you........in other words building your biz to pay off the debt $$.

In my case I have two businesses. One is Tire Stores and the other is a Professional Services organization. I grew up doing tires for my father and I worked for an IBM Services company for about 15 years before I quit, starting my own firm and then opened my first Tire Store after about a year later. Longer story than most would want to hear so I will stop there :D

Needless to say, if I can do it....anyone can. Just work hard and never give up. You will fail more than you will succeed....but dont give up. The only ones that truly fail are those that give up on trying.

Also, sorry for the spelling errors....typing on a cell phone.

cccasooner2
3/21/2011, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=bonkuba;317823...In my case I have two businesses. One is Tire Stores and the other is a Professional Services organization. I grew up doing tires for my father and I worked for an IBM Services company for about 15 years before I quit, starting my own firm and then opened my first Tire Store after about a year later. Longer story than most would want to hear so I will stop there. :D ...... [/QUOTE]

So for you it's not turtles but rather tires all the way down. :)

Veritas
3/21/2011, 12:58 PM
Needless to say, if I can do it....anyone can. Just work hard and never give up. You will fail more than you will succeed....but dont give up. The only ones that truly fail are those that give up on trying.
Yessir. It's so cliche and people don't want to believe it, making all types of rationalizations and excuses, but you just can't give up. You have to keep going, even when you're eating peanut butter off tortillas for weeks on end (as my wife and I did the summer of 2008 after starting our business).

There have been two times in my business's short life that I thought we were done. Mrs V was going to have go to work at Starbucks and I was going to have to go work for the man again. I remember after a deal we desperately needed fell through, sitting with my head on my desk for what seemed like an hour thinking how ****ed we were.

Then I shook it off and decided we'd starve before we'd roll over and die.

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 01:23 PM
I used to be worth millions then I lost it all in 29, But im getting back up there Ive got at least a 100 bucks now

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 01:33 PM
I used to be worth millions then I lost it all in 29, But im getting back up there Ive got at least a 100 bucks now

Almost there...;)

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 01:35 PM
Almost there...;)

I figure another 20 years er so :D

GrapevineSooner
3/21/2011, 01:38 PM
I wanna be a millionaire, so f***ing bad...

...how'd that stupid song get in my head?

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 01:40 PM
These days, a million bucks aint chit...

IB4OU2
3/21/2011, 01:52 PM
Which comes first? The Yukon or the millions?

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/21/2011, 01:54 PM

You sure about that, chief?

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 02:01 PM
You sure about that, chief?

Yes....

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 02:09 PM
In OK a million bucks of net worth gets ya a good car and nice house with 750k left over (Cali would be a completely different animal)...

If you take some risk you can get 8-10% of yearly growth...risk adverse you might pull 4%...

So you can get income between 30 to 70k....but you can't spend all of that money...about half will need to be reinvested so future withdrawals will keep up with inflation...

Like I said...a million bucks of net worth ain't chit...

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 02:16 PM
Depends on if I can include the contents of my closets in my net worth.

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 02:16 PM
Yessir. It's so cliche and people don't want to believe it, making all types of rationalizations and excuses, but you just can't give up. You have to keep going, even when you're eating peanut butter off tortillas for weeks on end (as my wife and I did the summer of 2008 after starting our business).

There have been two times in my business's short life that I thought we were done. Mrs V was going to have go to work at Starbucks and I was going to have to go work for the man again. I remember after a deal we desperately needed fell through, sitting with my head on my desk for what seemed like an hour thinking how ****ed we were.

Cool story!

yermom
3/21/2011, 02:30 PM
In OK a million bucks of net worth gets ya a good car and nice house with 750k left over (Cali would be a completely different animal)...

If you take some risk you can get 8-10% of yearly growth...risk adverse you might pull 4%...

So you can get income between 30 to 70k....but you can't spend all of that money...about half will need to be reinvested so future withdrawals will keep up with inflation...

Like I said...a million bucks of net worth ain't chit...

then why buy such a big house?

perhaps my definition of "ain't chit" is also a bit off ;)

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 02:33 PM

Nice...

My road to riches took a completely different route. I always wanted my own business, but started working for the gov 5-days after my 17th birthday, and after a decade or two realized I couldn't give up the security/retirement/bennies. It was kind of demoralizing to think that I was pretty much stuck being a government mule.

As I advanced in my gov career I began thinking more and more about a) what was I gonna do after retirement, and b) I still want to give a private business a shot. I married my sweet momma 16 years ago and we both had a desire to move back to the country - never once really considering it a business op. So we ended up buying a chunk of property, moved out there and started raising cattle. It still wasn't a "business" since I enjoyed it, and I didn't have to make any $$ off of it to survive. I could afford to cover the bills on our gov pay (a luxury very few farmers or people starting out in business have).

So anyhow, the man upstairs intervened, and we lost about 2 miles of fence to an ice storm. That spring, the price of cattle went up and we sold our entire herd at a tidy profit. Then, we reinvested that money back into the property and into equipment and began our hay business in earnest. I picked up two major hay customers (custom baling jobs) and I picked up a nice lease property that I get the hay off for me to sell. We also sell all the hay we bale on our own place since we don't have cattle to feed anymore.

Long story short, the hay business has turned out to be mucho mas profitable than the cattle biz. Lots of work during hay season, but pretty damn nice in the winter. No more feeding cows every day, busting ice on the ponds, etc. Now I just wait for the phone to ring in the winter, go outside and load semi-trailers with hay and put the $$ in the bank. In the summer, it's balls to the wall cutting/baling, but about 75% of it I don't have to worry about hauling. I leave it in the pasture and collect my check. I only pay a small amount of labor for high school kids to haul the small square bales, and pretty much haul all of it myself. Yes, it's tough but it keeps you in good shape, and I do enjoy it.

I have a ton of respect for those of you who can struggle through starting a business without something solid to back you up. Huevos Grande!!

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 02:35 PM
then why buy such a big house?

perhaps my definition of "ain't chit" is also a bit off ;)

Ok...take it down to a 100k house and a pos car for 5k...

895k left over...keep 5% of that and invest the rest...

I will be living in the lap of luxury on 45k a year...prior to taxes...

KuppiKunta
3/21/2011, 02:36 PM
Depends on if I can include the contents of my closets in my net worth.

Those skeletons ain't worth ****!!!

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 02:39 PM
Those skeletons ain't worth ****!!!

But the shoes are!

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 02:43 PM
But the shoes are!

If you tried to sell you would flood the market and cause a shoe price crash...woman across the world would be underwater on shoes...

You alone could cause a second Great Depression...

cccasooner2
3/21/2011, 02:48 PM

Reminds me of a line in "Bound for Glory", "It's a funny thing about food; the more you eat, the more you chit". {one word modified)

XingTheRubicon
3/21/2011, 02:49 PM

People that have a mil liquid aren't living off 4% t bills. In fact, I've never heard of anyone doing that.

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 02:54 PM
If you tried to sell you would flood the market and cause a shoe price crash...woman across the world would be underwater on shoes...

You alone could cause a second Great Depression...

Or great joy throughout the land as I put some of my collection out there for others to enjoy.

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 02:54 PM
People that have a mil liquid aren't living off 4% t bills. In fact, I've never heard of anyone doing that.

You must reinvest about half of your earnings to keep up with inflation...

To get 4.5% yield you must go out 20 years on a AAA bond...4.2% on a 29 year US treasury...

You wanna buy a 20 year bond at these levels?

If interest rates go up to 6% what will that 4.5% bond be worth? Would you be happy to get 4.5% on your money while everyone else is buying at 6%? If you try to sell your principle will get hammered...

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 02:56 PM
A million bucks ain't chit...some of you are in for a rude awakening when you finally come to that realization...

cccasooner2
3/21/2011, 02:58 PM

I think I heard Greenspan does that (not sure of his % return though).

saucysoonergal
3/21/2011, 02:59 PM

The resemblance is remarkable.

Elmer.

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:02 PM
If you want to invest in bonds you set up a ladder...split your money between short, mid, and long term bonds...as bonds mature you buy more long term...

Or buy various bond funds from a low cost provider...Vanguard for example...

You maximize yield and reduce risk...

If you invest in stocks you diversify and rebalance your portfolio every three or six months... you rebalance if you have stocks or mutual funds..

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 03:08 PM
A million bucks ain't chit...some of you are in for a rude awakening when you finally come to that realization...

Heh. I've heard people I work with say "man, if I hit the lotto for a million I'd quit tomorrow." I go "are you ****ing mad?" Now if I hit the $200+ megamillion tomorrow night I'll probably seriously consider quitting tomorrow.

I remember when my dad made this statement to me (sometime in the mid-60's). "Son, I will not make a million dollars in the entire course of my life." I said "sure you will dad." He said "do the math, we've never made $10K a year in our life. Even at $10K, how long would I have to live to make $1 million?" I go "I see your point."

Then, somewhere about the late 80's, early 90's with his retirements, SS, and primarily his investments he was putting back over $175K a year back into his investments. He probably made a million every ~4 years or so.

I'm not going to say a million bucks ain't ****, but I will say this: $1 million will change your day, your month, and probably your year, but if you're young, it won't hardly change your life. Why? Cause you can blow a million clams in an hour if you want to, and most people are stupid enough to do just that. It's a nice chunk of change, but it just ain't that much anymore.

yermom
3/21/2011, 03:11 PM

"not chit" means not having to work a **** job or worry about money for the rest of your life?

i mean sure, you aren't Hef, but ****, i'll take it :D

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:13 PM
"not chit" means not having to work a **** job or worry about money for the rest of your life?

i mean sure, you aren't Hef, but ****, i'll take it :D

I'd take it...but it really wouldn't change my lifestyle at all...

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 03:13 PM
Heh. I've heard people I work with say "man, if I hit the lotto for a million I'd quit tomorrow." I go "are you ****ing mad?" Now if I hit the $200+ megamillion tomorrow night I'll probably seriously consider quitting tomorrow.

I remember when my dad made this statement to me (sometime in the mid-60's). "Son, I will not make a million dollars in the entire course of my life." I said "sure you will dad." He said "do the math, we've never made $10K a year in our life. Even at $10K, how long would I have to live to make $1 million?" I go "I see your point."

Then, somewhere about the late 80's, early 90's with his retirements, SS, and primarily his investments he was putting back over $175K a year back into his investments. He probably made a million every ~4 years or so.

I'm not going to say a million bucks ain't ****, but I will say this: $1 million will change your day, your month, and probably your year, but if you're young, it won't hardly change your life. Why? Cause you can blow a million clams in an hour if you want to, and most people are stupid enough to do just that. It's a nice chunk of change, but it just ain't that much anymore.

I figure I could quit working forever if someone handed me about 25 million. So far, no one has offered. :(

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:15 PM
I figure I could quit working forever if someone handed me about 25 million. So far, no one has offered. :(

Post your address along with your SS and credit card #'s and I will send you a check...

yermom
3/21/2011, 03:19 PM
I'd take it...but it really wouldn't change my lifestyle at all...

most people i know would like a job that paid $45k a year, not to mention not having any debt to speak of

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 03:20 PM
most people i know would like a job that paid $45k a year, not to mention not having any debt to speak of

Well you need to quit hanging around with potheads and hippies.

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 03:24 PM
Post your address along with your SS and credit card #'s and I will send you a check...

I'll just give you my bank account number so you can do a direct deposit!

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:26 PM
I'll just give you my bank account number so you can do a direct deposit!

Don't forget the routing number...

soonerscuba
3/21/2011, 03:28 PM
I'm not going to say a million bucks ain't ****, but I will say this: $1 million will change your day, your month, and probably your year, but if you're young, it won't hardly change your life. Why? Cause you can blow a million clams in an hour if you want to, and most people are stupid enough to do just that. It's a nice chunk of change, but it just ain't that much anymore.I would say that $1m could change the life of a young person, assuming they could resist the temptation for instant gratification. Hell, reinvest the dividends and hold tight for 30 years and that is a lot less retirement planning. It won't change the trajectory of your life, but it could shave off a few years of working if you wanted.

Also, I would think the number would be very situational, if you don't have debt and live where you want, for a lot of people $30K/y is survivable.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 03:31 PM
Well you need to quit hanging around with potheads and hippies.

When is the last time you went looking for a job? $45,000 a year jobs aren't widely available. Hell I'm hurting for a job that makes $25-30k a year. History degree combined with poor job market sucks dick...Thanks OU for telling me for four years all I needed was a degree, didn't matter if it was history, and I'd be fine finding a decent paying job...

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 03:35 PM
When is the last time you went looking for a job? $45,000 a year jobs aren't widely available. Hell I'm hurting for a job that makes $25-30k a year. History degree combined with poor job market sucks dick...Thanks OU for telling me for four years all I needed was a degree, didn't matter if it was history, and I'd be fine finding a decent paying job...

And that right there is why I majored in business and wound up with history minor.

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:36 PM
I would say that $1m could change the life of a young person, assuming they could resist the temptation for instant gratification. Hell, reinvest the dividends and hold tight for 30 years and that is a lot less retirement planning. It won't change the trajectory of your life, but it could shave off a few years of working if you wanted.

Also, I would think the number would be very situational, if you don't have debt and live where you want, for a lot of people $30K/y is survivable.

Yes..30k a year is survivable...

A million bucks invested for 30 years at 10% would get ya about 16 million...over half would be lost to inflation...but you would still be in great shape...

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:39 PM

Did you really expect a high paying job with a history degree? Did you do any research?

If you are looking for a job with little experience don't expect much...you must stay on a job for a significant amount of time and show that you are the best choice for advancement before decent money comes your way...

Boomer.....
3/21/2011, 03:40 PM

What did you plan on doing with a History degree? Teaching is probably about the only thing to make it useful.

saucysoonergal
3/21/2011, 03:41 PM
History degee without lawschool=fail. ;)

DIB
3/21/2011, 03:43 PM
I have never understood why people get degrees without market value, unless you are staying in the academic world. I had some friends that got Letters Degrees from OU. It took them forever to find jobs, and they aren't even using their degrees.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 03:44 PM
Did you really expect a high paying job with a history degree? Did you do any research?

If you are looking for a job with little experience don't expect much...you must stay on a job for a significant amount of time and show that you are the best choice for advancement before decent money comes your way...

No I expected to have a low paying job at first then work my way up to a higher paying job. 30k and I'd be content, but what little experience I have is less than people who have been laid off with 10-15+ experience....Right now I can't even get out of my part time job.

yermom
3/21/2011, 03:45 PM

the trick is that you learn IT support/Unix admin skills while you are at OU

then it doesn't matter what your degree is in :D

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 03:46 PM
What did you plan on doing with a History degree? Teaching is probably about the only thing to make it useful.

I was told my MANY advisors and professors that all I needed was a degree and that would be enough to get me a job. They said for most jobs it didn't matter what field you studied they just want to see that you can graduate from a legit university....

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 03:47 PM
I have never understood why people get degrees without market value, unless you are staying in the academic world. I had some friends that got Letters Degrees from OU. It took them forever to find jobs, and they aren't even using their degrees.

Come on...History is at least more legit than letters. :O

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:47 PM
No I expected to have a low paying job at first then work my way up to a higher paying job. 30k and I'd be content, but what little experience I have is less than people who have been laid off with 10-15+ experience....Right now I can't even get out of my part time job.

Bust your azz at your current job...continually do more than expectations...

Follow up, follow up, follow up on other job opportunities...being in the right place is not enough, you gotta be there at the right time...

Good Luck!

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 03:48 PM
I was told my MANY advisors and professors that all I needed was a degree and that would be enough to get me a job. They said for most jobs it didn't matter what field you studied they just want to see that you can graduate from a legit university....

That is true...what was your minor?

DIB
3/21/2011, 03:48 PM
Come on...History is at least more legit than letters. :O

True, but that isn't saying much.

yermom
3/21/2011, 03:49 PM
i knew two Letters majors. one of them is REALLY smart, the other one is just really smart.

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 03:55 PM

WTF is "Letters"? I knew my alphabet before I even got to college!

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 03:56 PM

They're academics, they have no idea of what goes on in the real world.

KuppiKunta
3/21/2011, 03:58 PM

I wouldn't expect you know since you got a "Numbers" degree!!!

DIB

I think it is OU's version of a Humanities degree. It is basically 4 crappy minors. I think philosophy and a dead language are two of them.

C&CDean
I'm trying to remember if jumperstop is one of our resident stoners.

Boomer.....
3/21/2011, 04:01 PM
If you stopped smoking all that "hay" then you might remember.

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 04:01 PM

I will roll a fat one from time to time...

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 04:04 PM
That is true...what was your minor?

French, I enjoyed the language.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 04:05 PM

Stoner is such a harsh word....

But not any longer. Finding a job is more important.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 04:05 PM
I will roll a fat one from time to time...

Yeah, me too. Then I wipe my ***.

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 04:08 PM
I think it is OU's version of a Humanities degree. It is basically 4 crappy minors. I think philosophy and a dead language are two of them.

I wanted to spek you a thanks, but it won't let me. I have to put out more to others first.

So people really major in that kind of stuff and then don't go to law school? Who knew?

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah, me too. Then I wipe my ***.

I smoke the big fat one and it wipes my azz...

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 04:12 PM
I smoke the big fat one and it wipes my azz...

Nice. Post 777 too.

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 04:13 PM
French, I enjoyed the language.

You might have a better chance of finding a job in Paris...:D

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 04:17 PM
You might have a better chance of finding a job in Paris...:D

Yeah I dismissed that after college because their 12% unemployment rate...Not to much better over here. And it sucked to find out when I visited last summer that Parisians are *******s, it's not just a stereotype.

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah I dismissed that after college because their 12% unemployment rate...Not to much better over here. And it sucked to find out when I visited last summer that Parisians are *******s, it's not just a stereotype.

Guess you are screwed...

soonerchk
3/21/2011, 04:19 PM
Welding school?

pphilfran
3/21/2011, 04:21 PM
Welding school?

With a minor is scuba diving...kaching!

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 04:22 PM

I am trying to find employees right now (a total of 5).....I had an Ad in the paper on Friday and Sunday....with a "0" return rate of applicants. Now, granted this is an entry level position and it pays $450-$500 per week without overtime...with overtime add another $150 or so (we are working a lot).

Just last year I would put an Ad in the paper and have applicants lined at my door the next morning...not anymore. I am guessing the unemployment benefits are just too good to get off of.......dunno.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 04:23 PM
Welding school?

I've thought about computer technical school. My friend got a 35k job with farmers with just his c + or whatever certifications he had. He just had ged and a 6 month tech school degree.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 04:23 PM
I am trying to find employees right now (a total of 5).....I had an Ad in the paper on Friday and Sunday....with a "0" return rate of applicants. Now, granted this is an entry level position and it pays $450-$500 per week without overtime...with overtime add another $150 or so (we are working a lot).

Just last year I would put an Ad in the paper and have applicants lined at my door the next morning...not anymore. I am guessing the unemployment benefits are just too good to get off of.......dunno.

Doing what? Pm if seriously looking, I just want something full time and decent money.

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 04:27 PM
The job is a Service Tech in my Auto/Light Truck store in Ardmore. If you are interested let me know.

I am moving the store to a new location in about 60 days.....and I will be looking for new front help....meaning counter, sales and asst mgr.......that might be something you are interested in as well at some point.

Chuck Bao
3/21/2011, 04:29 PM
I guess I am worth several from just inherited land and mineral rights. What's the old saying in Oklahoma about being land rich and cash poor. I can never sell any of it because it really belongs to the family and I will give it to my two nieces and nephew (lucky kids). I don't even get any income from it. Unlike Dean, I am not a very good steward of the land. Since I am away overseas, a deal was struck many years ago that if my brother and sister keep up the land (brushhog, fix the fences and paint the barns and lots) at least in a condition that would make my granddad and dad feel proud of us, then they are welcome to have all income from it.

I do own my condo in Bangkok which is nice and I have the rice farm in Chaiyaphum province which is also nice. Nope gets these. The rice farm is already in his name since foreigners can't own land in Thailand.

I don't owe anybody anything. I don't have any debt, not even a credit card debt. That may not make sense to a businessman looking for opportunities, but that is just me and I love that feeling.

REDREX
3/21/2011, 04:29 PM
I've thought about computer technical school. My friend got a 35k job with farmers with just his c + or whatever certifications he had. He just had ged and a 6 month tech school degree.---If you think you would be happy making $30K you need to raise your aspirations-----I always need truck drivers and they make more than twice that with benefits

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 04:34 PM
The job is a Service Tech in my Auto/Light Truck store in Ardmore. If you are interested let me know.

I am moving the store to a new location in about 60 days.....and I will be looking for new front help....meaning counter, sales and asst mgr.......that might be something you are interested in as well at some point.

Oh ardmore... A little out of my way, but I'll keep that it mind. I think that's part of the problem. I feel stuck here cause of my girly and her job.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 04:37 PM
---If you think you would be happy making $30K you need to raise your aspirations-----I always need truck drivers and they make more than twice that with benefits

I would be happy at this point in my life yes. I'm 23....and truck drivers make a lot cause they spend their life on the road. I have a girl I plan on marrying soon, and truck driving doesn't have much room for advancement.

REDREX
3/21/2011, 04:42 PM
I would be happy at this point in my life yes. I'm 23....and truck drivers make a lot cause they spend their life on the road. I have a girl I plan on marrying soon, and truck driving doesn't have much room for advancement.---Home every night----right about advancement

bonkuba
3/21/2011, 04:47 PM
I would be happy at this point in my life yes. I'm 23....and truck drivers make a lot cause they spend their life on the road. I have a girl I plan on marrying soon, and truck driving doesn't have much room for advancement.

My father started out as a Lease Driver for a sand and gravel company......he then bought his own truck....then another....then another. My father had 10 by the time he retired and he retired with a good chunk of change.

Trucking is a biz that you can make the $$....but it can also eat your f'n lunch if you arent careful. Bad drivers (dishonest, ticket padding, etc) and tearing up your equipment are just a few bad things.........

However, done right you can make pretty good money working for a good company and have no truck payments. You are right about being gone a lot for the first year....but this allows you to learn the biz before you jump in and buy your own equimpent.

Just a thought.......

MR2-Sooner86
3/21/2011, 05:35 PM
I actually had a friend who was a millionaire. I stress the word "was" as he is probably no longer there.

He lost both of his parents when he was 21. That was a little over three years ago and he got about $1.75 million from insurance and such.

What did he do? Dropped out of college a couple times. Most of the days he spent sitting around drinking and at nights going to concerts and such. I know during the weekends he'd get a keg or two and invite people over to his place. He got a new iPhone, TV, PS3, Xbox, put several grand into his truck, got a bunch of guns, smoking $100 cigars, and I'm just scratching the surface. He blew through $20,000 in one month during the first summer without his parents.

He just loved to have people over and show off with "look how much money and stuff I got" but people got tired of that fast and stopped going over there. I know I did.

Last I heard he bought a house and just sits around doing nothing but screwing around still. His younger brother cleaned up his act and went off to college with his money.

I mean it's sad situation all around. No parents and there was nobody there to tell them, "Stop! You're being stupid!"

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 05:55 PM
What kills me is when a 23 year old unmarried man says **** like "I can't be out of town all the time cause of my girlfriend." What? You do what it takes. You put down the bong, pick up your boots, pull them on, and go bust your *** until you can start picking and choosing your employment ops.

I have a son who gave up a hell of a job in the oil field because he fell in love and "couldn't be in Vici or Midland or Albuquerque or Payson all the time. She needs me here." WTF?

I really don't buy a nickel of it when I hear young, healthy guys say "I can't find a job." Not a nickel of it.

Veritas
3/21/2011, 06:16 PM
I don't owe anybody anything. I don't have any debt, not even a credit card debt. That may not make sense to a businessman looking for opportunities, but that is just me and I love that feeling.
Sh!t Chuck, it makes a ton of sense to me. Debt is the devil. As the Bible says, the borrow is always the slave to the lender. Business can be done better without debt.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 06:29 PM
What kills me is when a 23 year old unmarried man says **** like "I can't be out of town all the time cause of my girlfriend." What? You do what it takes. You put down the bong, pick up your boots, pull them on, and go bust your *** until you can start picking and choosing your employment ops.

I have a son who gave up a hell of a job in the oil field because he fell in love and "couldn't be in Vici or Midland or Albuquerque or Payson all the time. She needs me here." WTF?

I really don't buy a nickel of it when I hear young, healthy guys say "I can't find a job." Not a nickel of it.

Gf of five and half years.....sorry I find my relationship important. She just graduated from poke u, we've spent too much time apart the last few years. I'm done with long distance relationships...

sperry
3/21/2011, 06:34 PM
History degee without lawschool=fail. ;)

History degree with Ivy League law school still equals fail for a lot of people.

From everyone I've talked to, your first million is the toughest to get. It's all downhill from there if you have any financial savvy whatsoever.

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 06:37 PM
Gf of five and half years.....sorry I find my relationship important. She just graduated from poke u, we've spent too much time apart the last few years. I'm done with long distance relationships...

I live in DC, and my family is in OK. I see them every 3 weeks. Long distance relationships? STFU. You go on the road for a few days and then you're home. Or you come home very other weekend. If you seriously have the attitude you are displaying then alls I can say is "you're ****ed." No wonder you can't find a job. I hear McDonald's is hiring a buttload of History majors who don't really want a real job. Sheez. You guys are all jacked up.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 06:47 PM
I live in DC, and my family is in OK. I see them every 3 weeks. Long distance relationships? STFU. You go on the road for a few days and then you're home. Or you come home very other weekend. If you seriously have the attitude you are displaying then alls I can say is "you're ****ed." No wonder you can't find a job. I hear McDonald's is hiring a buttload of History majors who don't really want a real job. Sheez. You guys are all jacked up.

Well what works for you doesn't work for others. I guess my lady is more of a priority in my life than yours. You get real rude about a lot of things, seems like you believe if anyone has a different opinion than you they are stupid. Sorry you think I'm "jacked up" for wanting to stay near my lady and family.

olevetonahill
3/21/2011, 06:54 PM
Bro, The dude lookin for Drivers said Ya home every night. Whats the Problem?

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 06:56 PM
Well what works for you doesn't work for others. I guess my lady is more of a priority in my life than yours. You get real rude about a lot of things, seems like you believe if anyone has a different opinion than you they are stupid. Sorry you think I'm "jacked up" for wanting to stay near my lady and family.

Put a bud in the bong and it'll all be OK...

Dude, "your lady?" You don't get it. That's all I'm saying. If she's really "your lady" she will completely understand what a MAN has to do to make a living. If you're really a MAN, then you'll take care of her. Hanging around whining about no job, while refusing good, honest work that might mean you have to spend a night away from "your lady" is pretty much gay.

No, I don't believe people with a differing opinion are "gay." In this case, gay has nothing to do with it. In this case, it's just simply stupid. Think about it. You don't even have a family yet (unless you're calling your folks who are probably paying your bills since you're not working your "family"). This is about being dumb. You're not a dumb guy. Why act like it? You and your "lady" will survive. Trust me.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 07:03 PM
Put a bud in the bong and it'll all be OK...

Dude, "your lady?" You don't get it. That's all I'm saying. If she's really "your lady" she will completely understand what a MAN has to do to make a living. If you're really a MAN, then you'll take care of her. Hanging around whining about no job, while refusing good, honest work that might mean you have to spend a night away from "your lady" is pretty much gay.

No, I don't believe people with a differing opinion are "gay." In this case, gay has nothing to do with it. In this case, it's just simply stupid. Think about it. You don't even have a family yet (unless you're calling your folks who are probably paying your bills since you're not working your "family"). This is about being dumb. You're not a dumb guy. Why act like it? You and your "lady" will survive. Trust me.

I have a job 25 hr/week $13 hr at a community college. Who said I had no job? And yes I enjoy spending time with my parents, who don't pay for my living. And just because she "would understand" doesn't mean I want to see her only once a month like your situation.

Boomer.....
3/22/2011, 07:42 AM
Some people have different priorities. I have a pretty good job making good money. If I were to get another job offer that gave me a 50% raise but I had to be away from my wife and family all of the time, there is no way that I would take it. Everybody is different though.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 08:01 AM
Some people have different priorities. I have a pretty good job making good money. If I were to get another job offer that gave me a 50% raise but I had to be away from my wife and family all of the time, there is no way that I would take it. Everybody is different though.

Now dont get me wrong I like JUmper
But hes Grossing 325,net what maybe 250?

And hes planning on gettin married?
I dont know his circumstances but seems to me That a 1000 a month just aint gonna cut it .
He has ha 2 job offers in this thread Paying him more.

Now If I were a young man and Planning a future with My honey Id be out there bustin balls making the scratch to support her

But im funny that way;)

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 08:16 AM
I'm actually working on my 3rd million.....gave up on the first two!!

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 08:20 AM
I'm actually working on my 3rd million.....gave up on the first two!!

Slacker! i started out with NOTHING and I still have most of it left ;)

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 08:29 AM

What I guess people don't realize is that it's never "all of the time." My point is that nobody gets to start in the exact job they want. You have to pay your dues. Sometimes that means living out of a suitcase for a while. If you would seriously turn down a 50% raise if it meant you had to travel then I'd have to say that's not very smart.

Of course our upbringings probably have a lot to do with it. My dad was a 3-war vet. He was gone all the time when I was a young kid. We moved all over the place and even when he was stateside he was gone a lot. By the time he retired, I was 11. He went on to work for the county for another 20+ years and was home all the time with that gig. Sure, it was hard on him (and I suppose us) but it wasn't forever, and it turned out to be the best thing in the long run.

I accept offers that include travel with my job for several reasons. First, it pays more. Second, I get miles and points with airlines and hotels. Third, I enjoy travelling. Fourth, my wife supports it and we're old enough to understand that we don't have to spend every waking moment together. We have trust in our relationship. Five, all of my kids except one are out of the house. However, I did travel a lot when they were all living there too. They didn't love me any less, and I didn't love them any less. In fact it was kind of cool coming home every weekend. They loved it, and so did I.

Anyhow, just commenting on the young ninja's deal because my oldest son did the exact same stupid thing. He gave up a great job with a great company because he couldn't stand spending a night or two away from his "soul mate." Meh. Still pisses me off to this day. Gave up all sorts of life-long benefits so he could stay home and argue with momma and work a ****ty job.

IndySooner
3/22/2011, 08:37 AM

I used to dream of having a six-figure annual income. I got there last year. I quickly came to the realization that I need to dream bigger!

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 08:39 AM
I used to dream of having a six-figure annual income. I got there last year. I quickly came to the realization that I need to dream bigger!

Heh. No kidding. It's not like there's any extra money left over.

IndySooner
3/22/2011, 08:49 AM
Heh. No kidding. It's not like there's any extra money left over.

Nope. Especially when you factor in daycare and private school. I need to shoot for $250K, minimum.

OutlandTrophy
3/22/2011, 08:55 AM
I have a job 25 hr/week $13 hr at a community college. Who said I had no job? And yes I enjoy spending time with my parents, who don't pay for my living. And just because she "would understand" doesn't mean I want to see her only once a month like your situation.

good luck, man. good luck keeping your wife happy while you bring home $1,000/month. I'm not being a dick, I'm being honest with you.

good luck.

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 09:06 AM
I say jumper knows himself better than anyone one of us, and if he chooses to turn down jobs paying more, that's his prerogative. If family is that important to you, by all means keep on keepin' on. To me, family is more important than any material possession. It's not like you get to take them with you when you die. I don't know too many young couples starting out that have killer jobs, I know me and mine didn't and we've turned out just fine. We started out living paycheck to paycheck and struggling to pay my for my wife to obtain her Master's Degree. I little sacrifice when you are young will be good for you. Now, I couldn't even tell you when payday is....because I just don't care. I know we live within our means and there's always money to pay the bills, put food on the table, buy want we need, and sock some away. I can't remember the last time I even looked at a pay stub.

I may not be wealthy, monetarily speaking....but I'm rich in ways that matter to me.

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:09 AM
"Material possessions", like food ???

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:09 AM
I say jumper knows himself better than anyone one of us, and if he chooses to turn down jobs paying more, that's his prerogative. If family is that important to you, by all means keep on keepin' on. To me, family is more important than any material possession. It's not like you get to take them with you when you die. I don't know too many young couples starting out that have killer jobs, I know me and mine didn't and we've turned out just fine. We started out living paycheck to paycheck and struggling to pay my for my wife to obtain her Master's Degree. I little sacrifice when you are young will be good for you. Now, I couldn't even tell you when payday is....because I just don't care. I know we live within our means and there's always money to pay the bills, put food on the table, buy want we need, and sock some away. I can't remember the last time I even looked at a pay stub.

I may not be wealthy, monetarily speaking....but I'm rich in ways that matter to me.

And you are Dumb as a box of rocks and RED to boot :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:11 AM
"Material possessions", like food ???

You forgot Lectric and ****.;)

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:15 AM
you don't get all that on $1000/per.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:20 AM

I feel like IM struggling and I have more than that in disposable income :eek:

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:22 AM

But they are YOUNG they can Live on LOVE for the 1st year, After that there will be Milk enough for ALL :D

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 09:34 AM
And you are Dumb as a box of rocks and RED to boot :rolleyes:

I'll put my education and intelligence up against yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday. As far as being RED, I enjoy it...this is a Sooner sight after all and I've earned it!!

Position Limit
3/22/2011, 09:38 AM
unless your running money or running oil, you're a worker bee. or you could be the idiot son that gets the inheritance. plenty of 6 figure salaries to be had, but that aint gonna get you there. and if you do get there, a margined account in a sh*tty market will wipe you out. then you get to start over. i just try to enjoy the ride.

Mongo
3/22/2011, 09:42 AM
I'll put my education and intelligence up against yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday. As far as being RED, I enjoy it...this is a Sooner sight after all and I've earned it!!

How about weener size?

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:43 AM

OOH intelligence smack, Trust me son , I may come across as a dumb assed hick
But you really dont want to go there ;)

XingTheRubicon
3/22/2011, 09:44 AM

I'd have to slightly favor vet in a pitchfork fight, however.

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 09:45 AM
How about weener size?

That's a given, since I hear vet has a vagina.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:46 AM
How about weener size?

Hell he cant touch MY weenie :D

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 09:47 AM

Gee, that was clever...

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:50 AM

Well I hear YOU are a Kunt;) :P

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:51 AM
Gee, that was clever...

Mine really was tho wasnt it :D

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 09:53 AM
Cleverer.

sappstuf
3/22/2011, 09:53 AM
OOH intelligence smack, Trust me son , I may come across as a dumb assed hick
But you really dont want to go there ;)

You had me at dumb assed hick! ;)

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:56 AM
You had me at dumb assed hick! ;)

Well shucks, Here i thot i had some Yall fooled :O
http://www.fanway.com/live/images/stories/country_hick.jpg

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 09:57 AM
Gee, that was clever...

Just trying to keep things "simple" 'round here!! :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:57 AM
Cleverer.

Some times I put a little effort into it ;)

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 09:58 AM

And you have succeeded at being a simpleton ;)

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 10:00 AM

Then again Dean sometimes its just to dayum easy :D

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 10:03 AM

You're doing a fine job. Carry on.

Boomer.....
3/22/2011, 10:07 AM

You really are edjumacated.

yermom
3/22/2011, 10:08 AM
you are looking at it aren't you?

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 10:09 AM

WooHoo....I've been accepted!!!!

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 10:10 AM

Meh...sometimes the fingers type faster than the brain thinks. Send me to the remedial board (or is this it) for a typo!

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 10:10 AM
Now dont get me wrong I like JUmper
But hes Grossing 325,net what maybe 250?

And hes planning on gettin married?
I dont know his circumstances but seems to me That a 1000 a month just aint gonna cut it .
He has ha 2 job offers in this thread Paying him more.

Now If I were a young man and Planning a future with My honey Id be out there bustin balls making the scratch to support her

But im funny that way;)

2 job offers? There's more to a job than money. What experience does truck driving give me? And sorry I don't want to move to ardmore for a job that I could probably find in the city. I don't look for those jobs because I want to advance. It's not all about pay when looking for a job.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 10:14 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

jumperstop
3/22/2011, 10:15 AM
good luck, man. good luck keeping your wife happy while you bring home $1,000/month. I'm not being a dick, I'm being honest with you.

good luck.

We both have jobs...I don't plan on staying there forever. In fact I'm always looking for a good full time job, but I'm not going to step back from my job now. We're fine living now, so I think we'll be just fine. There are people who live on a lot less....I'm done with this thread and explaining myself to you guys.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 10:21 AM
2 job offers? There's more to a job than money. What experience does truck driving give me? And sorry I don't want to move to ardmore for a job that I could probably find in the city. I don't look for those jobs because I want to advance. It's not all about pay when looking for a job.

Like I said Bro, Ya got to do what makes ya happy ;)
Truck driving May not give ya any experience at all But I bet it will give ya some disposable income that ya dont have now
Think of it like this ok ?
Yer nettin around a K a month right now . Right? Ya drive a truck for 6 months and NET 4 K a month

Now I aint no Math major but that seems Like 24K in 6 months versus 6K
Which one works for you ?

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 10:23 AM
We both have jobs...I don't plan on staying there forever. In fact I'm always looking for a good full time job, but I'm not going to step back from my job now. We're fine living now, so I think we'll be just fine. There are people who live on a lot less....I'm done with this thread and explaining myself to you guys.

If you are Happy bro then Im happy for you
You dont have to justify your self to me or anyone else
All we are trying to do Is help

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 10:48 AM
always thot i wanted a "career" until i went to work & realized i just wanted a paychek.
;)

OutlandTrophy
3/22/2011, 10:50 AM

he's holding out for a middle management position
http://mickeymills.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/cousin_eddie.jpg

Veritas
3/22/2011, 11:26 AM
You're getting lots of advice in this thread, jumper...hope you realize these crusty old bastards are really trying to help. It comes across harshly, but they have the best of intentions.

That said, here's my piece:

You might feel a slight twinge. That's pride f**kin' wit you.
I graduated with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Business Finance. Two highly marketable degrees. When I was 23 I was a licensed securities agent working as a Certified Financial Planner, one of the youngest ever. A real prodigy on the fast track to success, right?

Wrong. Between that time and now I sold cars, bartended, waited tables, worked construction, and acted as a farmhand. There's nothing to make you feel like an opportunity-squandering fvckup than having an $80K education for which your parents sacrificed heavily, being 26 working with a bunch of 18 year olds, and cleaning puke off the bathroom floor at 3:30AM on a Saturday morning.

Thing is, all of those experiences, especially the crushingly humbling ones, re-formed me into what I had to be before I could experience success, financial and otherwise.

You might be a prodigy that actually is on the fast track to success. You probably aren't, but you might be. Who the hell knows. You sure as hell don't, and that's the key thing here. You're going to have to take some ****ty jobs that you hate to put things together between now and when you figure out how to make decent money and like your job at the same time (hopefully...lots of folks never get there).

At this point in your career, money *is* all that matters in your job, especially if your family really is #1. I know you've been together with your g/f for 5 years, but you get married and that relationship changes, trust me on that brother, and one of the best things you can do is build a solid financial foundation doing whatever it takes to get there.

OrlandoSooner
3/22/2011, 11:59 AM
You're getting lots of advice in this thread, jumper...hope you realize these crusty old bastards are really trying to help. It comes across harshly, but they have the best of intentions.

That said, here's my piece:

You might feel a slight twinge. That's pride f**kin' wit you.
I graduated with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Business Finance. Two highly marketable degrees. When I was 23 I was a licensed securities agent working as a Certified Financial Planner, one of the youngest ever. A real prodigy on the fast track to success, right?

Wrong. Between that time and now I sold cars, bartended, waited tables, worked construction, and acted as a farmhand. There's nothing to make you feel like an opportunity-squandering fvckup than having an $80K education for which your parents sacrificed heavily, being 26 working with a bunch of 18 year olds, and cleaning puke off the bathroom floor at 3:30AM on a Saturday morning.

Thing is, all of those experiences, especially the crushingly humbling ones, re-formed me into what I had to be before I could experience success, financial and otherwise.

You might be a prodigy that actually is on the fast track to success. You probably aren't, but you might be. Who the hell knows. You sure as hell don't, and that's the key thing here. You're going to have to take some ****ty jobs that you hate to put things together between now and when you figure out how to make decent money and like your job at the same time (hopefully...lots of folks never get there).

At this point in your career, money *is* all that matters in your job, especially if your family really is #1. I know you've been together with your g/f for 5 years, but you get married and that relationship changes, trust me on that brother, and one of the best things you can do is build a solid financial foundation doing whatever it takes to get there.

Good advice for just about anyone coming out of school. It's not how you respond to success that defines you. It is how you respond to adversity.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 12:36 PM
But sometimes it's just easier to put another bong on the fire...
Cook me up some nacho do-ree-tos...
The lights come on and I haven't starved yet...
Life is really going swell...

Meh.

Like V said, we just want to help, but if you're convinced living well below your abilities and potential is A-OK, nobody is going to convince you otherwise. Good luck with all that.

DIB
3/22/2011, 12:39 PM
Maybe I am looking at this at the wrong angle, but do you really want to be with a woman that doesn't push you to reach your potential? It seems selfish that she would want you to stay with her all the time, while you flounder in mediocrity.

Veritas
3/22/2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe I am looking at this at the wrong angle, but do you really want to be with a woman that doesn't push you to reach your potential? It seems selfish that she would want you to stay with her all the time, while you flounder in mediocrity.
Sense, you are speaking it.

Spring
3/22/2011, 01:16 PM

Welcome to the new America..

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 01:20 PM

Maybe she wants him to go get a real job, and he's the one who wants to stay right there at her side?

Didn't think of that, did you?

DIB
3/22/2011, 01:23 PM
Maybe she wants him to go get a real job, and he's the one who wants to stay right there at her side?

Didn't think of that, did you?

If only I had a woman that would push me to reach my posting potential...

OutlandTrophy
3/22/2011, 01:28 PM
with her vagina

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 01:28 PM
If only I had a woman that would push me to reach my posting potential...

Want me to call and tell you what you should be doing? I'm very good at it.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 01:29 PM
Since Jumper and I have talked for quite some time and shared several PEEMs .
I think we all have/had him wrong . Im figuring the Young Man has his head on right and Ill let it go at that ;)

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 01:30 PM
Want me to call and tell you what you should be doing? I'm very good at it.

You're trying to get him banned, huh?

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 01:32 PM
Since Jumper and I have talked for quite some time and shared several PEEMs .
I think we all have/had him wrong . Im figuring the Young Man has his head on right and Ill let it go at that ;)

You sold him some weed, didn't you you old codger.

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 01:33 PM
You're trying to get him banned, huh?

Hellz no! He's one of the few people left who finds me semi amusing.

saucysoonergal
3/22/2011, 01:35 PM

I find you amusing.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 01:38 PM
You sold him some weed, didn't you you old codger.

OVJ pay tention :P

rainiersooner
3/22/2011, 01:43 PM
If someone is a true millionaire and continues to work for it I highly doubt they have time to post on message boards

Shoot...does that mean if I want to be a millionaire, I should stop posting on this board? :(

stoops the eternal pimp
3/22/2011, 01:44 PM
Tooo much emphasis on how much you make..you have to learn how to manage what you have..

I've got friends who get utilities shut off who make 100k a year because of tons of ruh-tard debt.

The first 5 years we were married, I made around 30k a year..the wife stayed at home with the babies..I had a decent house 2 cars, savings, cds, and always had money in my pocket and had 5k put up for my daughter's college by the time she was five..and gave 15% of those earnings to the church..

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 01:47 PM
Tooo much emphasis on how much you make..you have to learn how to manage what you have..

I've got friends who get utilities shut off who make 100k a year because of tons of ruh-tard debt.

The first 5 years we were married, I made around 30k a year..the wife stayed at home with the babies..I had a decent house 2 cars, savings, cds, and always had money in my pocket and had 5k put up for my daughter's college by the time she was five..and gave 15% of those earnings to the church..

But you wore burlap sacks and recycled diapers.

Boomer.....
3/22/2011, 01:48 PM
I find you amusing.

:hot:

stoops the eternal pimp
3/22/2011, 01:50 PM
But you wore burlap sacks and recycled diapers.

Not me...I'm always nekkid...

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:08 PM
Not me...I'm always nekkid...

Then I certainly hope you're using sunscreen!

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 02:12 PM
Then I certainly hope you're using sunscreen!

That thing of his isn't substantial enough to cast a shadow, let alone absorb any UV rays from the sun.

Boomer.....
3/22/2011, 02:12 PM
Dean knows this from firsthand experience.

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 02:38 PM

I find you semi amusing.....then again, I'm easily amused!

Mongo
3/22/2011, 02:43 PM
I have many leather bound books, and my study smells of rich mahogony

saucysoonergal
3/22/2011, 03:01 PM
I have many leather bound books, and my study smells of rich mahogony

Leather bound porno? Never heard tale of such?

DIB
3/22/2011, 03:06 PM
I find you semi amusing.....then again, I'm easily amused!

And I usually have a semi!

Mongo
3/22/2011, 03:12 PM
Leather bound porno? Never heard tale of such?

Mad magazines. Only chumps buy hard copies of pron these days

saucysoonergal
3/22/2011, 03:14 PM

Freightliner? Mack? Kenworth? International?

saucysoonergal
3/22/2011, 03:15 PM
Mad magazines. Only chumps buy hard copies of pron these days

If they are leather bound, is it hard to do the fold-in at the back?

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 03:15 PM
Freightliner? Mack? Kenworth? International?

Doosh-Allis

Mongo
3/22/2011, 03:18 PM
If they are leather bound, is it hard to do the fold-in at the back?

they are prefolded so I dont have to work at it. As a rich, bloodsucking lawyer, you should be more in tuned with high culture than I am:D

saucysoonergal
3/22/2011, 03:22 PM
they are prefolded so I dont have to work at it. As a rich, bloodsucking lawyer, you should be more in tuned with high culture than I am:D

Well, you are one high-cultured sumbeech.

Mongo
3/22/2011, 03:27 PM
Well, you are one high-cultured sumbeech.

Pull my finger?

OutlandTrophy
3/22/2011, 03:40 PM
>pulls<

stoops the eternal pimp
3/22/2011, 03:41 PM
thats not his finger

KuppiKunta
3/22/2011, 03:43 PM

What did you think I meant by semi?

saucysoonergal
3/22/2011, 03:43 PM
Why does it have a nail then? ewwww.

Boomer.....
3/22/2011, 03:49 PM
That's not a nail, it's a callus.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 05:10 PM
That's not a nail, it's a callus.

"callus?" Didn't he play linebacker for us?

MamaMia
3/22/2011, 06:05 PM

History majors need to write a book. Write a book, have some talks about it and whalah...you will make more money once you're published. You're welcome.

Plus, the best stoner I ever smoked a pinner with was a history major. :pop:

Well what works for you doesn't work for others. I guess my lady is more of a priority in my life than yours. You get real rude about a lot of things, seems like you believe if anyone has a different opinion than you they are stupid. Sorry you think I'm "jacked up" for wanting to stay near my lady and family.I would like to also add that I completely understand what you mean about being drawn to a certain location because of family. We moved to Woodward and took a HUGE pay cut to be near my husbands mom because she needed us here. We just do what we can to make ends meet in a town that has twice as many dentists than they need per capita. I made it work financially. Such as...I bought a TWO bedroom house on the corner in an amazing older neighborhood that we love and totally fixed it up with granite, interior and exterior stone, new floors and windows, swarovski chandelier and sconces, an in ground swimming pool, and all kinds of lovely things from top to bottom; things I could never ever afford to do to a big home. I love it here in my little house. :D

cccasooner2
3/22/2011, 06:09 PM
History majors need to write a book. Write a book, have some talks about it and whalah...you will make more money once you're published. You're welcome.

Plus, the best stoner I ever smoked a pinner with was a history major. :pop:

Or write a series of stories on the history of Hairy POTUS.

texaspokieokie
3/23/2011, 07:11 AM
my nephew took off a year from school after attaining his Masters in English. best job he could get was in a lumber yard, minimum wage.

this was 20 to 25 yrs ago, in CA.

C&CDean
3/23/2011, 07:17 AM
Mama said "pinner." Heh. I never twisted up a pinner. Only cheapasses did that. I used to make banana spliffs. Anybody who smoked back in the day should know what that is.

texaspokieokie
3/23/2011, 07:20 AM
Mama said "pinner." Heh. I never twisted up a pinner. Only cheapasses did that. I used to make banana spliffs. Anybody who smoked back in the day should know what that is.

i comprehend none of it.

Mississippi Sooner
3/23/2011, 09:08 AM
"You can pick your teeth with a New York joint." -- Jim Morrison