PDA

View Full Version : We should hire the young, black, hot prospect coach at VCU

yankee
3/20/2011, 09:57 PM
:pop: ;)

sooner518
3/20/2011, 10:00 PM
hahaha i couldnt help but thinking the exact same thing all day....

i wonder if Joe C is even considering it.

Soonerjeepman
3/20/2011, 10:02 PM
ummmm....is he black? I thought maybe hispanic...not black...but yeah..it's ironic, isn't it...and sad...

sooner59
3/20/2011, 10:31 PM
OU did it once. Bama did it after that. Who will be 3rd?

zandozan
3/20/2011, 10:56 PM
Shaka Smart is the guys name and his style is very similar to Billy Ball..this from a bio:

Coach Smart's teams play a style of basketball known as "havoc". Smart described his "havoc" defensive philosophy during his introductory press conference as, "We are going to wreak havoc on our opponent's psyche and their plan of attack." On the court, the "havoc" defensive mindset is visible through the heavy use of the full court press and pressing after made baskets to disrupt opponent's timing of offensive sets. In his second season, VCU led the Colonial Athletic Association in steals. Offensively, Shaka Smart-coached teams play uptempo and push the ball after misses and makes with what Smart describes as, "The freedom to make plays in the open court

Considered one of the countries best young coaches, do we go back to the VCU well?

Soonerjeepman
3/20/2011, 10:58 PM
would it be just a big slap in the face to Capel...maybe we can just trade straight up?

zandozan
3/20/2011, 11:04 PM
ummmm....is he black? I thought maybe hispanic...not black...but yeah..it's ironic, isn't it...and sad...

Yes he is black

zandozan
3/20/2011, 11:06 PM
would it be just a big slap in the face to Capel...maybe we can just trade straight up?

lol..this may not be too far fetched if Capel can't catch on anywhere else.

Dio
3/21/2011, 04:59 PM
Worked so good the last time

zandozan
3/22/2011, 12:48 AM
Worked so good the last time

To compare one man to another just because he's coaching at the same school is pretty illogical. I agree the gut, emotional reaction is to not even look VCU's way but I think that would be doing OU a disservice. This Shaka guy is a damn good coach and plays a style old OU fans will remember fondly.

Soonerwake
3/23/2011, 01:15 PM
Maybe we should figure out what VCU is doing to keep getting to the tourney.. Three young coaches gone to the tourney, 2 have moved on to better jobs, the third probably destined to do the same.. Something in the water over there.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/23/2011, 03:10 PM
Oh and he is black.

Not to stereotype, but don't know too many whitey's named Shaka... ;)

zandozan
3/24/2011, 05:06 AM
Not to stereotype, but don't know to many whitey's named Shaka... ;)

Haha, yes a name like Shaka does induce images of Zulu warriors spearing bewildered British soldiers repeatedly :)

Funny thing though, he's kind of short and very light skinned. :confused:

goingoneight
3/24/2011, 08:44 PM
Maybe we should figure out what VCU is doing to keep getting to the tourney.. Three young coaches gone to the tourney, 2 have moved on to better jobs, the third probably destined to do the same.. Something in the water over there.

And we go back to the Boise State football coaching analogy.

Spray
3/24/2011, 08:58 PM
One thing is that the VCU AD is one heckuva guy. Very good at his job.

Blue
3/24/2011, 09:40 PM
One thing is that the VCU AD is one heckuva guy. Very good at his job.

There was an interesting article I'm looking for on their hiring practices. I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else.

Apparently they look at 50 up and coming assistants, look at their AAU ties, interview extensively, and make a choice.

Now that sounds like any hiring process, but the article made it sound good.

Spray
3/24/2011, 09:45 PM
I can tell you that he breezed right over my butt for their Asst. AD for Compliance job they had open last year. :D

Blue
3/24/2011, 09:54 PM
You were overqualified.

Spray
3/24/2011, 09:54 PM
True.

Red Ada
3/25/2011, 11:40 PM
Shaka Smart for President !!!!!

soonerbub
3/27/2011, 03:48 PM
Why in the **** would this guy leave a Final 4 program to go to coach a team that's won 9 conference games in 2 years??

He won't NEXT

tulsaoilerfan
3/27/2011, 03:53 PM
Ha ha ha Kansas

tulsaoilerfan
3/27/2011, 03:54 PM
Bill Self teams seem to always choke

Quik Sand
3/27/2011, 03:56 PM
Why in the **** would this guy leave a Final 4 program to go to coach a team that's won 9 conference games in 2 years??

He won't NEXT:gary:

yankee
3/27/2011, 03:57 PM
Bump

Eielson
3/27/2011, 03:58 PM

He won't NEXT

So he can continue to benefit from what Capel put together? Sure, Shaka deserves some credit, but this is just about as much about Anthony Grant and Jeff Capel.

soonerbub
3/27/2011, 04:04 PM
seriously??? some credit???

Capel was at OU 5 years he had NO IMPACT on this VCU squad

zandozan
3/27/2011, 04:10 PM

He won't NEXT

Is VCU a consistent Final 4 program? You actually think VCU is a better basketball program than OU overall? OU has been to 4 Final Fours in it's history, two national championship games. This is VCU's first. Recent records aside, Oklahoma has a much richer history and the potential here is overwhelmingly higher than VCU. Coming to OU would be a major upgrade for Shaka. The only problem is everyone is going to be after him. We don't have to worry about being better than VCU. We have to be better than places like Tennessee and Missouri, two places that also have never been to the Final Four. Just because OU has fallen off the last two years doesn't mean it can't be brought back just as quickly.

101sooner
3/27/2011, 04:12 PM
seriously??? some credit???

Capel was at OU 5 years he had NO IMPACT on this VCU squad

Right on.

Quik Sand
3/27/2011, 04:14 PM
:pop:
:oink:

Quik Sand
3/27/2011, 04:18 PM
On the surface, offering the VCU coach would not look like a good move seeing how the Jeff Capel thing went. I love his enthusiasm. His players appear to really respect him.....just listen to one of their players post-game comments. All he would talk about was how the players just followed the gameplan from the coach. Also, love his style of offense and defense.

zandozan
3/27/2011, 04:24 PM
So he can continue to benefit from what Capel put together? Sure, Shaka deserves some credit, but this is just about as much about Anthony Grant and Jeff Capel.

I'm not sure how much benefit it is following Capel this time around :D

Besides he didn't follow Capel to VCU, he came after Grant when he went to Alabama. And to imply that Shaka is somehow not responsible for getting them to the Final Four is pretty laughable to be honest.

zandozan
3/27/2011, 04:29 PM
On the surface, offering the VCU coach would not look like a good move seeing how the Jeff Capel thing went.

I agree the initial feeling about getting another coach from VCU is negative but Capel has nothing to do with Shaka. He was an assistant under Billy Donovan at Florida before getting the job at VCU. We can't worry about what it looks like if we hire Smart. We have to get the guy who's best for the job.

oumartin
3/27/2011, 04:48 PM
Shaka khan smart just beat our future coach... Of course Danny Manning is only an assistant at KU.. Should be made official by Wednesday.

PrideTrombone
3/27/2011, 04:56 PM
Shaka khan smart just beat our future coach... Of course Danny Manning is only an assistant at KU.. Should be made official by Wednesday.

If we hire Danny Manning I will not watch an OU basketball game with him as the coach.

oulucas
3/27/2011, 05:00 PM
Bill Self teams seem to always choke

Except when they win the National Championship.

AlboSooner
3/27/2011, 05:58 PM
I don't think winning the NC makes you immune to choking. It certainly hasn't happened to Kansas, despite winning the NC because Memphis couldn't make free throws.

Eielson
3/27/2011, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure how much benefit it is following Capel this time around :D

Besides he didn't follow Capel to VCU, he came after Grant when he went to Alabama. And to imply that Shaka is somehow not responsible for getting them to the Final Four is pretty laughable to be honest.

Capel and Grant raised the level of VCU's program immensely. To say they didn't is nonsense.

zandozan
3/27/2011, 06:06 PM
Kentucky lookin good...lets hire Calipari ;)

sooner518
3/27/2011, 06:14 PM

danny manning? wtf? seriously?

oumartin
3/27/2011, 06:40 PM
danny manning? wtf? seriously?

book it

TheHumanAlphabet
3/27/2011, 06:45 PM
If we hire Danny Manning I will not watch an OU basketball game with him as the coach.

I remember screaming "hotdog" at him and getting his ire in several trips he made to LNC. And some doosh Joklahoma reporter calling use "leatherlungs" just because we had spirit and screamed the entire game. He didn't use the term nicely.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/27/2011, 06:47 PM
As deep as VCU and Butler have gone, I'm gonna guess those guys are untouchable...

zandozan
3/27/2011, 07:56 PM
As deep as VCU and Butler have gone, I'm gonna guess those guys are untouchable...

Why? I understand Stevens is an Indiana guy and is contracted all the way thru the 2022 season, but his buyout is reported as being only in the neighborhood of $1 million.

Shaka is from Wisconsin and has coached in places like Clemson and Florida. He has no real ties to Virginia and has a $300k buyout.

These mid major schools making good are great stories and the coaches naturally become hot commodities. Most eventually leave for better paying more high profile programs. Some pan out others burn out. Stevens might stay because Butler is in Indiana and he's pretty much lived there his whole life. Shaka on the other hand I'd be shocked if he doesn't have a different job in a few weeks.

yankee
3/27/2011, 08:06 PM
I don't think winning the NC makes you immune to choking.

Just ask Stoops. :pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
3/27/2011, 08:24 PM
Why? I understand Stevens is an Indiana guy and is contracted all the way thru the 2022 season, but his buyout is reported as being only in the neighborhood of $1 million.

Shaka is from Wisconsin and has coached in places like Clemson and Florida. He has no real ties to Virginia and has a $300k buyout.

These mid major schools making good are great stories and the coaches naturally become hot commodities. Most eventually leave for better paying more high profile programs. Some pan out others burn out. Stevens might stay because Butler is in Indiana and he's pretty much lived there his whole life. Shaka on the other hand I'd be shocked if he doesn't have a different job in a few weeks.

You could be right about Shaka. I doubt Stevens is going anywhere.

C&CDean
3/27/2011, 08:24 PM
vcu over ku? wow.

AlboSooner
3/27/2011, 10:03 PM
Just ask Stoops. :pop:

yup

pappy
3/28/2011, 01:46 AM
I'd hire Smart if he was interested in coming to OU...he and Capel are 2 different people and 2 different coaches with different playing styles. After hearing the way his players talk about how they just followed his game plan and beat teams that are a lot more talented has me sold.

zandozan
3/28/2011, 02:17 AM
Ok to get Shaka Smart...who's our competition? Obviously VCU. The other open jobs: NC State, Georgia Tech, Missouri, Utah. Who am I leaving out? Providence, Tennessee, Arkansas are filled. Of the 6 teams involved, including OU, who has the best argument in getting Shaka?

NC State has the best history, winning two national championships. Utah has one, albeit 1944. No one else has any. I honestly don't think this stuff matters a whole lot, but these are selling points for these schools respective AD's. Location, conference affiliation and commitment to winning probably mean more.

I think of these six, NC State and OU offer the most potential. Kelvin almost went to NC St. early in his career here as you all know. Problem with them is they got Tarheels, Duke, and Wake Forest in the same state. They often get the leftover talent and are definitely an after thought compared to the big boys in Carolina.

Now Oklahoma has some good talent, look no further than Blake. Texas has even more. The Longhorns have been reaping the benefits of our struggles and seem to get most of the best kids in their state. Given the right coach, OU could make some serious noise in Texas and start bringing those kids here just like in football. There's more than enough talent in these two states alone to make a competitive roster.

If you were Shaka where would you go?

zandozan
3/28/2011, 03:49 AM
Here's a fine example of Shaka performing under pressure. Who wouldn't wilt under the overwhelming power of Craig Sager's Hypno-Tie/Purple suit combo?

http://i55.tinypic.com/8wcktt.png

Vegas Sooner
3/28/2011, 04:50 AM
Rebecca Black is good, but only on Fridays.

Sager does that on purpose. He probably makes McDonalds $ and eats the Big Macs with it; That is why they keep him.

Vegas Sooner
3/28/2011, 04:51 AM
Here's a fine example of Shaka performing under pressure. Who wouldn't wilt under the overwhelming power of Craig Sager's Hypno-Tie/Purple suit combo?

http://i55.tinypic.com/8wcktt.png

IS THAT BARNEY!!!!

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 12:28 PM
GA Tech just hired the UD Coach from Dayton.

SoonerMom2
3/28/2011, 12:30 PM
On the Dayton coach, their athletic director put out a release on Saturday that GT had not asked permission to talk to his coach and now this morning the coach signed with GT. Shows how little a press release means or a statement out of anyone involved! GT also said on the weekend they had others they were considering.

badger
3/28/2011, 12:39 PM
As impressive as Boom Shaka Lacka's postseason record is at VCU (10-0, if you include the CBI run last year), we need someone that will not just coach well, but milk the alumni and fans for attendance and donations, dedicate a lot of time to recruiting and manage all aspects of the program well.

If the OU job was just about on-court, I think Capel would have been fine. What happened with Capel -- declining fan interest and attendance, Western Union, pro jumping and commit wavering -- shows that off-court is almost more important at this stage in college basketball.

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2011, 12:47 PM
Jeff's teams lost a lot of games, on-court.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/28/2011, 06:13 PM
Boom Shaka Lacka's

:D

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to badger again...

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 06:15 PM
We need a coach named "shaka" like we need a coach named "jeff."