PDA

View Full Version : Guess that quote

sappstuf
3/20/2011, 09:46 PM

The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent. History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch. It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action.

SCOUT
3/20/2011, 09:51 PM
Burl Ives?

hawaii 5-0
3/20/2011, 10:02 PM
Yogi Berra?

sooner59
3/20/2011, 10:09 PM
Greg Giraldo?

47straight
3/20/2011, 10:13 PM
A democratic congressman.

sappstuf
3/20/2011, 10:14 PM
A democratic congressman.

Nope, but your getting close.

salth2o
3/20/2011, 10:20 PM
bho?

sappstuf
3/20/2011, 10:22 PM
bho?

Winner! It is question number #2 in the article.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/specials/CandidateQA/ObamaQA/

soonercruiser
3/20/2011, 10:27 PM
You can tell by the media that are falling all over themselves to say how BHO is proving his manhood.

sooner59
3/20/2011, 10:32 PM
Nope, but your getting close.

Wasn't he just a congressman when he said it?

SCOUT
3/20/2011, 10:41 PM
I am pretty sure that your quote came from Burl Ives.

sappstuf
3/20/2011, 10:44 PM
Wasn't he just a congressman when he said it?

He was a Senator. He was also a proclaimed constitutional law professor.

Care to take a stab at this quote?

I was a constitutional law professor, which means unlike the current president I actually respect the Constitution.

sooner59
3/20/2011, 10:52 PM
He may not respect it, but he can spell it. ;)

AlbqSooner
3/21/2011, 05:41 AM
He was a Senator at the time.

sappstuf
3/21/2011, 08:51 AM
He may not respect it, but he can spell it. ;)

I don't really mind that he did it, but the hypocrisy from The Great One, the media, and all the people that have been saying the Iraq war was "illegal" for years is pretty funny to watch.

No, I just want a Commander in Chief that takes the military seriously, and if he is sending us into harms way, that he is focused on that mission. At least for a few days anyway...

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/o-soccer-lg.jpg

Ah ****!

SanJoaquinSooner
3/21/2011, 08:59 AM
Was the Senate part of Congress when he said it?

sappstuf
3/21/2011, 09:22 AM

We do not typically refer to Senators as Congressmen. Google Congressman and the first thing that comes up is house.gov. That is because we typically refer to Representatives as Congressmen. I went back 5 pages and the Senate or Senators never came up.

Besides, Congressman Kucinich and a couple of other liberal Congressmen did “all strongly raised objections to the constitutionality of the president’s actions” this weekend and made a similar statement, so it needed to be more clear. I applaud those Dem Congressmen, not because I agree with them, but at least they have some principles in this matter and are sticking with their beliefs and didn't change on a whim since there is now a Dem in office.

Veritas
3/21/2011, 09:29 AM
I don't really mind that he did it, but the hypocrisy from The Great One, the media, and all the people that have been saying the Iraq war was "illegal" for years is pretty funny to watch.

No, I just want a Commander in Chief that takes the military seriously, and if he is sending us into harms way, that he is focused on that mission. At least for a few days anyway...

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/o-soccer-lg.jpg

Ah ****!
I think you folks that do silly things like protect the country forget about important stuff like March Madness. The President has a bracket to watch. :rolleyes:

47straight
3/21/2011, 11:11 AM
We do not typically refer to Senators as Congressmen. Google Congressman and the first thing that comes up is house.gov. That is because we typically refer to Representatives as Congressmen. I went back 5 pages and the Senate or Senators never came up.

When I said Congressman I meant either a rep or a senator.

I would like my prize please. I hope that it's a coupon for a frosty from Wendy's or something awesome like that.

Leroy Lizard
3/21/2011, 11:26 AM
I am pretty sure that your quote came from Burl Ives.

He was the first to sing it.

AlbqSooner
3/22/2011, 06:40 AM

Actually no. Congress refers to the House of Representatives. That is why, when you get a letter from your representative, the representative signs his name and adds, "MC".

It doesn't stand for "Mea Culpa", though it certainly could.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/26/2011, 06:46 PM
Actually no. Congress refers to the House of Representatives. That is why, when you get a letter from your representative, the representative signs his name and adds, "MC".

It doesn't stand for "Mea Culpa", though it certainly could.

Albq, you think Congress is not inclusive of the Senate?