PDA

View Full Version : Stupid questions re: Cufflinks

SoonerHoops
3/20/2011, 05:55 PM
I'm set to graduate sometime in the near future. Never before have I really needed cufflinks and couldn't afford nice ones anyway. Now, I still can't afford them but probably need to buy some. I basically know nothing about them, so here are my questions (and yes, I could google these, but I know all you gay guys on this board are smarter than google)

When do you wear cufflinks? Only when you are wearing a suit or can/should you wear them with a dress shirt (no tie)?

Do you need special shirts to wear cufflinks with? Extended sleeves, right?

Any tips on colors, shapes, sizes, etc?

OutlandTrophy
3/20/2011, 05:58 PM
http://dbprng00ikc2j.cloudfront.net/work/image/128381/qg7swq/RONDotson_shotgun_cufflinks.jpg

Veritas
3/20/2011, 06:01 PM
Kenneth Cole makes really nice cufflinks for the money...when I wore suits those were my mainstays. Can't go wrong with square brushed nickel.

I quit wearing though because the extended cuffs were just annoying.

Not very many people wear them; if you're in an industry that wears suits it could be kinda a cool affectation.

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 06:04 PM
http://dbprng00ikc2j.cloudfront.net/work/image/128381/qg7swq/RONDotson_shotgun_cufflinks.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
3/20/2011, 07:27 PM
Problem solved...

http://www.selectism.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mjolk-short-sleeve-shirt-bow-tie.jpg

Lott's Bandana
3/20/2011, 07:30 PM
You NEED cufflinks like you NEED braces.

You don't.

However, congrats on your graduation and get 'em if you want 'em.

47straight
3/20/2011, 07:34 PM
You only have to wear them when you've got a dress shirt with french cuffs and you can't button them regular. In a pinch you can use paperclips for makeshift cufflinks in that case.

Jacie
3/20/2011, 07:36 PM
I have a couple of tux shirts that take cufflinks. One is the extended sleeve type (have to fold the sleeve back over on itself and thread the cuffling through four layers), which I keep as a my second tux shirt. I prefer to wear the one that is normal sleeve length. It has the holes for the cufflinks but also has cuff buttons so I can wear it with our without them. I got that shirt at Penney's.

Also, you can mention the cufflinks to any relatives that want to get you a nice personal gift for your graduation . .

Jboozer
3/20/2011, 10:47 PM
Cufflinks are for formal wear only. You need to wear them with a tux, and can wear them with a suit, but not for an interview or something where you are trying to fit in. You can have one nice pair, or a bunch to match different suits. Cufflinks are flashy and should be worn when you want to stand out/bring attention to yourself, like a necklace for a women on a dress.

soonercruiser
3/20/2011, 10:51 PM
Actually, you don't necessarily have to have French Cuffs that fold up.
I have one good dress shirt that gives you the option of the button or a cuff link.
I can't imagine why someone would want you wear cuff links, since that usually means a tux shirt.
As often as I don't wear them, when I do buy it is at Burlington Coat Factory.
(Cheap and probably Jap or Chinese)
You can also rent a tux shirt and cuff links at any formal rental store.

SCOUT
3/20/2011, 11:11 PM
Don't wear them with just a dress shirt. The tux is a given and suits are OK. Back when I used to wear suits, I liked the extended cuffs because they remained outside of my coat sleeve. I usually only wore them when I was trying to look extra formal though. To me it is like a pocket square. It looks nice, but I generally don't want to put in the effort.

A Sooner in Texas
3/20/2011, 11:28 PM
Here's a woman's opinion....with a really nice suit and a great dress shirt with French cuffs, very classic, understated and well made cufflinks complete a classic, sexy look.

Hope that helps. ;)

(and don't forget the deodorant.)

Chuck Bao
3/21/2011, 05:26 AM
All of my shirts are tailored made. Once upon a time, I had several made with french cuffs. But, I didn't wear them because they were so annoying. In my office, I really like to roll up my shirt sleeves like I am really getting down to business. With the french cuffs, it left me flapping around like a bird - not down to business. How is that for a bit of gay man advice?

virginiasooner
3/21/2011, 08:20 AM
Cufflinks look nice. My hubby has a few shirts that need cufflinks, and that's not counting his tuxedo shirt. he has a pair of monogram links, and a pair of bright blue enamel.

KuppiKunta
3/21/2011, 08:35 AM
I like red, this is a Sooner site after all!

MamaMia
3/21/2011, 09:31 AM
My husband has a pair that he wears on special occasions. Hes Kiowa and these were handed down to him.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/cls.jpg

sooner n houston
3/21/2011, 09:35 AM
For cuff links, the pawn shop is your friend!

C&CDean
3/21/2011, 09:38 AM
Cufflinks look nice. My hubby has a few shirts that need cufflinks, and that's not counting his tuxedo shirt. he has a pair of monogram links, and a pair of bright blue enamel.

You're a chick?

What part of Arlington do you live? I live there right now (hopefully will be going home in April).

Is he as liberal as you?

Jacie
3/21/2011, 09:39 AM
I don't believe Lone Wolf ever wore cufflinks . . .

Mjcpr
3/21/2011, 09:41 AM
Mama, I think that is some kind of Nazi symbol. How long have you known this man?

sooneron
3/21/2011, 10:01 AM
I was about to post a pic of one of my pairs that my Mom got me, then I looked them up on the Tiffany site . :eek: I had no idea they were that pricey for so little, design-wise.

I usually only wear them with my tux. I have two pairs, the basic onyx and silver that I got with links at Nordstroms for about a c note and the pair that I mentioned. I always think it looks best to keep them looking simple.

The Profit
3/21/2011, 11:01 AM
I always wear cuff links with a suit.

Jammin'
3/21/2011, 05:02 PM
Just make sure you don't wear a tie with a button down collar and you'll be fine with or without the cuff links. (cuff links are the **** though).

MamaMia
3/21/2011, 08:17 PM
Mama, I think that is some kind of Nazi symbol. How long have you known this man?In my familia, the womens, we don't ask questions. ;)

sooneron
3/21/2011, 08:20 PM
...or spell famiglia correctly! ;)

soonercruiser
3/21/2011, 10:19 PM
Mama, I think that is some kind of Nazi symbol. How long have you known this man?

No, no, no!
That's an witchdoctor's Phoenix!
Her hubby is a vampire. She's luring you in for some fresh blood.
:D

MamaMia
3/21/2011, 10:52 PM
...or spell famiglia correctly! ;) Wrong. I was speaking Spanish, McFly. Thats why I said "womens." Famiglia is Italian.

jumperstop
3/21/2011, 11:00 PM
I had t shirt and jeans on when I graduated. Why do you need cufflinks? It's to hot for that **** anyways.

Ctina
3/22/2011, 04:24 AM
Just make sure you don't wear a tie with a button down collar and you'll be fine with or without the cuff links. (cuff links are the **** though).

What about short sleeves and a tie? Short sleeves, button down collar, and a tie?

Jammin'
3/22/2011, 08:50 AM
What about short sleeves and a tie? Short sleeves, button down collar, and a tie?

button down collars with ties are for idiots and the poor.

short sleeve shirts with ties are for gays and nerds.

putting them together I believe makes you a public defender.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 08:59 AM
button down collars with ties are for idiots and the poor.

short sleeve shirts with ties are for gays and nerds.

putting them together I believe makes you a public defender.

This.

I do think the only time a button down collared shirt is OK with a tie is if you're going casual. No suit, just khakis and a shirt & tie or sport coat or something like that. With a suit? Nay. And NEVER short-sleeved shirts with a tie.

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:01 AM
lotsa faux "Beau Brummels" on here.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 09:02 AM
lotsa faux "Beau Brummels" on here.

You're the old guy with the short-sleeves, ain't ya?

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:04 AM
This.

I do think the only time a button down collared shirt is OK with a tie is if you're going casual. No suit, just khakis and a shirt & tie or sport coat or something like that. With a suit? Nay. And NEVER short-sleeved shirts with a tie.

when i worked @ North American Aviation & Lockheed in CA, we were in very large rooms of engineers, most of whom wore short sleeves with ties. it was however, a long time ago.

if you're going "casual", you don't need a tie.

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 09:06 AM
You're the old guy with the short-sleeves, ain't ya?

Yep, that's me. during the period about which i'm speaking, i was young.

XingTheRubicon
3/22/2011, 09:40 AM
Gunnery Sgt. Hartman preferred these...
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2323/tcuff.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/tcuff.jpg/)

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 09:43 AM
when i worked @ North American Aviation & Lockheed in CA, we were in very large rooms of engineers, most of whom wore short sleeves with ties. it was however, a long time ago.

if you're going "casual", you don't need a tie.

Heh. I work with those same types of people all the time. I spend a lot of time at Northrop-Grumman, Lockheed-Martin, Siemens, etc. Yes, the engineer nerds still wear the short-sleeves and ties. It is acceptable wear for geeks. It helps the rest of us identify who the pointy-heads are.

And, there are situations where a tie is appropriate, but a suit is not. I didn't say "business casual" I said "casual." I probably should have said "tie casual."

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 10:53 AM
Dayum Im out of touch
Back inda day when i had to wear a tie , I had Long sleeves and a Button collar, Jacket or sweater looked ok
Now its just Tee Shirts and Jeans and Kiss my ***;)

texaspokieokie
3/22/2011, 11:12 AM
me too.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 11:24 AM
me too.

Yup and If I wore a tie I used a TieTac It kept the tie off the the Table when i was eating Much like a Bra keeps the Tits out the plate :D

Ctina
3/22/2011, 12:54 PM
Was it a clip-on tie as well?

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 12:57 PM

Heh. When I was a Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor we had to wear ties (how stupid is that?). Anyhow, after some poor schmuck who was listening to a knock an engine was making got his tie caught in the fan belt and had his face smashed into the top of the radiator and damn near choked to death did they finally change us from regular ties to clip-on ties. Good times.

pphilfran
3/22/2011, 12:59 PM
Yup and If I wore a tie I used a TieTac It kept the tie off the the Table when i was eating Much like a Bra keeps the Tits out the plate :D

:)

Spring
3/22/2011, 01:04 PM

you have moobs big enough for a bra?

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 01:34 PM

When I was a Cop dayum skippy it was clip on
**** a bunch of drunks Grabbin it and trying to sling ya around :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 01:36 PM
you have moobs big enough for a bra?

I was thinkin more yer LIPs bitch:rolleyes:
Do you want to get along or not? your choice cause I dont really give a **** :texan:

Spring
3/22/2011, 01:54 PM
I was thinkin more yer LIPs bitch:rolleyes:
Do you want to get along or not? your choice cause I dont really give a **** :texan:

And you need to learn to take a ****ing joke.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Coz_cpLaGSw/S9bCDcgoqBI/AAAAAAAABCQ/4njcguAZHY4/s1600/serious+business.jpg

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 01:59 PM
And you need to learn to take a ****ing joke.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Coz_cpLaGSw/S9bCDcgoqBI/AAAAAAAABCQ/4njcguAZHY4/s1600/serious+business.jpg

What would I ever do with out you to guide me ?:rolleyes:
Kiss my *** an **** off dip **** :P

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 02:00 PM
Less than a 100 posts and I should Know when yer joking ? Go Tit :D

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:02 PM
I'm over a thousand posts, I can assure you he's joking.

Adrian
3/22/2011, 02:04 PM

Spring has probably been to Disney World more times than he has posted here...

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:07 PM

And he has the Mickey Hats to prove it.

Spring
3/22/2011, 02:11 PM

Damn it, shut up.

And he has the Mickey Hats to prove it.

Pipe Down Toots.

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 02:13 PM
M I C - see you later...

K E Y - why? because we love you...

M O U S E....

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:13 PM
Damn it, shut up.

Skippy the Grouch strikes again!:gary:

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 02:14 PM
Grouch? I was doing the Mickey Mouse Club song. Sheez. You youngsters are a sensitive lot.

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:15 PM
Grouch? I was doing the Mickey Mouse Club song. Sheez. You youngsters are a sensitive lot.

I edited. Your post got caught in the crossfire.:pop:

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 02:27 PM

And YOU have been treated Fair if not great am i right ?
Course you tried to assimilate into the crowed and not TAKE over
See yer Peem i just sent ya ;)

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:29 PM
And YOU have been treated Fair if not great am i right ?
Course you tried to assimilate into the crowed and not TAKE over
See yer Peem i just sent ya ;)

Absolutely I have been treated very well here! Again, it's just hard to watch my new friends and my old friends butt heads.

MamaMia
3/22/2011, 02:35 PM
No, no, no!
That's an witchdoctor's Phoenix!
Her hubby is a vampire. She's luring you in for some fresh blood.
:D

Eww...not hardly!!! I was very afraid of vampires when I was a little girl. I literally slept with a cross on the night stand and a scarf tied around my neck after watching Dracula's Bride at the age of 10. My parents wouldn't allow me to watch horror movies after that. :eek:

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:37 PM
Eww...not hardly!!! I was very afraid of vampires when I was a little girl. I literally slept with a cross on the night stand and a scarf tied around my neck after watching Dracula's Bride at the age of 10. My parents wouldn't allow me to watch horror movies after that. :eek:

I can relate. My babysitter let me watch Dark Shadows. :eek:

Spring
3/22/2011, 02:43 PM
I can relate. My babysitter let me watch Dark Shadows. :eek:

They had tv back then? :pop:

MamaMia
3/22/2011, 02:45 PM
I can relate. My babysitter let me watch Dark Shadows. :eek: My friends watched that after school. I was horrified to see the vampires turn into bats and the women loving to get their necks punctured with fangs, so much so that they would open their bedroom windows for that ugly man! Barnabas Collins was one scary dude. :eek:

soonerchk
3/22/2011, 02:47 PM
My friends watched that after school. I was horrified to see the vampires turn into bats and the women loving to get their necks punctured with fangs, so much so that they would open their bedroom windows for that ugly man! Barnabas Collins was one scary dude. :eek:

I KNOW!! I can't wait to see the remake!

MamaMia
3/22/2011, 02:50 PM
I KNOW!! I can't wait to see the remake!Me either. :D

C&CDean
3/22/2011, 03:05 PM
So, how are the Twilight movies?

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 03:15 PM
Absolutely I have been treated very well here! Again, it's just hard to watch my new friends and my old friends butt heads.

Some times ya just sit back and watch the Fire works ;)

soonerbrat
3/22/2011, 03:24 PM
I'm set to graduate sometime in the near future. Never before have I really needed cufflinks and couldn't afford nice ones anyway. Now, I still can't afford them but probably need to buy some. I basically know nothing about them, so here are my questions (and yes, I could google these, but I know all you gay guys on this board are smarter than google)

When do you wear cufflinks? Only when you are wearing a suit or can/should you wear them with a dress shirt (no tie)?

Do you need special shirts to wear cufflinks with? Extended sleeves, right?

Any tips on colors, shapes, sizes, etc?

the shirts with no buttons on the cuff.

olevetonahill
3/22/2011, 03:56 PM
the shirts with no buttons on the cuff.

Heh , Back in da day when I had to play dress up I bot some Dress shirts from Sears .
Was running late for an appointment and grabbed one out the package Had to wear it cause it was only one of the 3 thatv was clean

No Button Holes, Had buttons just No where to put em, Just rolled em up and went an sold the folks about 10k
went back to sears the next day and they wouldnt take em back cause I had worn one
Me being the master of tact that I am just tossed all 3 at em an told em to shove em up their *** and stomped out
Judgement being the better part of Valor I walked back in and axed fer the Manager the poor counter girl just looked at me and said " I was hoping you would do that"

Anyway
Manager came out Had no prob swappin em out
End of story

Jammin'
3/22/2011, 05:00 PM
Heh , Back in da day when I had to play dress up I bot some Dress shirts from Sears .
Was running late for an appointment and grabbed one out the package Had to wear it cause it was only one of the 3 thatv was clean

No Button Holes, Had buttons just No where to put em, Just rolled em up and went an sold the folks about 10k
went back to sears the next day and they wouldnt take em back cause I had worn one
Me being the master of tact that I am just tossed all 3 at em an told em to shove em up their *** and stomped out
Judgement being the better part of Valor I walked back in and axed fer the Manager the poor counter girl just looked at me and said " I was hoping you would do that"

Anyway
Manager came out Had no prob swappin em out
End of story

You sound like a real prick....back in da day.

Ctina
3/22/2011, 10:45 PM
So, how are the Twilight movies?

Mediocre, but so are the books. I still can't quite figure out why I liked them. They sure aren't Harry Potter.