PDA

View Full Version : U.S. now asked to stop attacking Libya

MR2-Sooner86
3/20/2011, 11:26 AM
Invader's Remorse: Arab League Now Criticizes Western Attack On Libya (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/invaders-remorse-arab-league-now-criticizes-western-attack-libya)

Not even a full day after the UN-endorsed attack on Libya began, and the "invader's remorse" is already manifesting itself as discontent among the "peacemakers" emerges. Per the AFP: "The Arab League on Sunday criticized Western military strikes on Libya, a week after urging the United Nations to slap a no-fly zone on the oil-rich North African state. "What has happened in Libya differs from the goal of imposing a no-fly zone and what we want is the protection of civilians and not bombing other civilians," Arab League secretary general Amr Mussa told reporters." We wonder what the Arab League will say when reports of innocent civilians, up to a million of whom have been forcefully armed by Gaddafi, being butchered en masse begin emerging. And how long before the entire operation is deemed a total failure... to be redeemed only by a full scale land invasion?

More from the AFP:

On March 12, the Arab League urged the United Nations to impose a no-fly zone on Libya and said Moamer Kadhafi’s regime had "lost legitimacy" as it sought to snuff out a rebellion designed to oust him from power.

In the West’s biggest intervention in the Arab world since the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq, US warships and a British submarine fired more than 120 Tomahawk cruise missiles into Libya on Saturday, the US military said.

Russia Calls for Stop to Non-Military Libya Attacks (http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Russia-Libya-Coalition-Attacks/2011/03/20/id/390068)

MOSCOW, March 20 (Reuters) - Russia called on Britain, France and the United States on Sunday to stop air strikes against what it said were non-military targets in Libya, saying the attacks had caused civilian casualties.
"In that respect we call on countries involved to stop the non-selective use of force," Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said in a statement.

Lukashevich said 48 civilians were reported to have been killed and 150 wounded in the air strikes, figures that matched those given early on Sunday by Libyan state TV. He said strikes had destroyed a medical facility, roads and bridges.

The Western countries say they hit only military targets, including air defences and tanks that were threatening the eastern city of Benghazi.

"We believe a mandate given by the U.N. Security Council resolution -- a controversial move in itself -- should not be used to achieve goals outside its provisions which only see measures necessary to protect civilian population," Lukashevich said. Russia abstained during a U.N. Security Council vote which authorised a no-fly zone over Libya and "all necessary measures" to protect civilians against leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

Well, you can't win 'em all.

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 12:13 PM

soonerinkaty
3/20/2011, 12:16 PM
Not until Libya says uncle.

OU Adonis
3/20/2011, 12:27 PM
Well like I said in another thread. The Arab league does have a point. I doubt Libyan tanks and trucks fly.

Jacie
3/20/2011, 12:31 PM
What? Did they think the warheads on the cruise missiles were filled with contain confetti?

beer4me
3/20/2011, 12:33 PM
Well like I said in another thread. The Arab league does have a point. I doubt Libyan tanks and trucks fly.

Dude if you gonna go down that road remember the rest of the wording of the directive: "By all means necessary" bombing tanks, trucks, guns etc for the protection of the general Populace falls under that umbrella.

You repeating that same thing over and over still don't make it fly.

OU Adonis
3/20/2011, 12:37 PM
Dude if you gonna go down that road remember the rest of the wording of the directive: "By all means necessary" bombing tanks, trucks, guns etc for the protection of the general Populace falls under that umbrella.

You repeating that same thing over and over still don't make it fly.

By that logic we could say landing ground troops to secure airfields would fall under that "umbrella"

beer4me
3/20/2011, 12:41 PM
By that logic we could say landing ground troops to secure airfields would fall under that "umbrella"

You catch on fast.

hawaii 5-0
3/20/2011, 12:47 PM
Send in the Arab League. Put little propellers on their beanie helmets so they qualify as aircraft.

Let the Arabs do their own dirty work.

5-0

cccasooner2
3/20/2011, 12:54 PM
120 Tomahawk cruise missiles = about $60,000,000 ($500,000 per). Of coarse this is peanuts compared to the logistical cost. Ain't it great being a humanitarian?

I usually spend about $500 for a 4th July show and don't kill anyone.

Sooner5030
3/20/2011, 01:07 PM
somebody on here besides myself reads zerohedge?

cool

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2011, 01:10 PM

gosh if only they made tanks and trucks with anti-aircraft weapons.....

AlboSooner
3/20/2011, 01:32 PM
The Arab league guy thought a no fly zone is imposed by shadding the map on CNN, and that's all it takes. Russia committed unspeakable atrocities in Afghanistan, where they purposely butchered civilians.

Veritas
3/20/2011, 01:44 PM
Guess it's time for Obama's second World ***-Kissing Tour.

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 01:47 PM

Jacie
3/20/2011, 01:49 PM
I wonder what they were thinking when they ask us to get involved. Never do anything you wouldn't do yourself....it doesn't always turn out the way you think it will otherwise.

Stupid asses.

We break things, sometimes we fix it and then we extort it for everything we can get out if it.

Duh.

Kinda like in Goodfellas when the restaurant owner asks Paulie to partner with him . . .

SoonerKnight
3/20/2011, 04:51 PM
Arab League Secretary-General Amre Moussa told reporters before an emergency meeting Sunday that what is happening in Libya is different from what was intended by imposing a no-fly zone, according to Egypt's state-run Ahram newspaper.

"What we want is the protection of civilians and not the shelling of more civilians," Moussa said, adding that "military operations may not be needed in order to protect the civilians."

But Arab League chief of staff Hisham Youssef said Moussa's comments did not signify a shift by the organization.

"The Arab League position has not changed. We fully support the implementation of a no-fly zone," Youssef said. "Our ultimate aim is to end the bloodshed and achieve the aspirations of the Libyan people."

The rest of the story... :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/20/libya.civil.war/index.html#

Breadburner
3/20/2011, 05:12 PM
Dont start no **** (khadafi Duck) wont get no ****.....

Lott's Bandana
3/20/2011, 05:24 PM
The Arab league guy thought a no fly zone is imposed by shadding the map on CNN, and that's all it takes. Russia committed unspeakable atrocities in Chechnya, where they purposely butchered civilians.

:chicken:

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 06:07 PM
Kinda like in Goodfellas when the restaurant owner asks Paulie to partner with him . . .

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2011, 06:20 PM

So it is okay that Lybia is using those military tanks and trucks to kill innocent people?

Is there any proof that our strikes have killed civilians? Gadahfi said it they were just hours after it started, yet all the images from hospitals were that of injured people in military uniform.

And FWIW, who gives a **** what Russia thinks and says...they are irrelevant in this world anymore!

And the Arab League...they were the ones that were begging this to happen...so **** what they think too!

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2011, 06:27 PM
BTW, are we actively targeting Gadahfi now?

ouwasp
3/20/2011, 06:37 PM
I bet the Arab League HQ is within range of a Tomahawk somewhere... :) or maybe send a dozen, just to let them feel involved...

OU Adonis
3/20/2011, 07:18 PM
So it is okay that Lybia is using those military tanks and trucks to kill innocent people?

Hey I think he's a jackwagon and no its not right for innocent civilians to be slaughtered.

I am pretty sure those tanks are targeted at the rebel force, who is far from innocent.

The real reason we are targeting his military is to overthrow him. I really doubt at the end of the day the decision was made to "save the people".

If it was about the people and not about the rebels then we would of started this awhile back. They only started launching strikes when the rebels started getting their butts kicked.

hawaii 5-0
3/20/2011, 07:25 PM
I think we can lick Labia.

5-0

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2011, 07:29 PM
Hey I think he's a jackwagon and no its not right for innocent civilians to be slaughtered.

I am pretty sure those tanks are targeted at the rebel force, who is far from innocent.

The real reason we are targeting his military is to overthrow him. I really doubt at the end of the day the decision was made to "save the people".

If it was about the people and not about the rebels then we would of started this awhile back. They only started launching strikes when the rebels started getting their butts kicked.

If you think he is just targeting the rebels then you are naive. Last night CNN had a doctor on that has dual citizenship with the US and Libya.

Anyway, that Dr said he just return home (to Cali) from Libya because his wife is about to give birth to their first child. He was in Benghazi where he was helping with the casualties of the civil war.

Well, regardless, he said that the Libya army and the mercenary air force was targeting building where innocent people lived and plenty of casualties there in Benghazi were women and children.

Yeah...let me tell you, that sounds like Gadahfi is just targeting the rebels! :rolleyes:

Peach Fuzz
3/20/2011, 07:32 PM
It sucks that we have to be world police sometimes... stupid countries can't get their **** together

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2011, 07:35 PM
let me comment on the rest of this drivel!

Let me just say this...if we are targeting his military to overthrow him...is that such a bad thing? He has been killing innocent people for over 30 years...so yes, even if our silent objective was to overthrow him, we would be saving the people of Libya from his tyrannical rule!

You really have no idea how this **** works do you?

1. We could always invade and conquer any damn country we see fit...but that would be against world law.
2. We need the backing of the world to do something like this. We were waiting for the UN to get off their *** and put some sanctions down so we don't look like the normal bully!
3. Obama is a ****ing pansy (and yes I actually voted for him and I am a democrat). He doesn't want to upset the anti-war left so he waited until the UN finally gave approval.

Jacie
3/20/2011, 07:44 PM
BTW, are we actively targeting Gadahfi now?

Our military has in the past (the bombed out ruin of one of his residences is left in that state as a reminder to his people of U.S. aggression towards their beloved Moammar) and it was reported that some of his supporters stood outside of another of his residences today to form a human shield as a deterrent to the U.S. targeting him again (taking out some of his supporters would be icing on the cake IMO).

Anyway, it is good to see the U.S. finally taking some military action against the leader of the country that shelters one of the Lockerbie bombers.

Check out the MSNBC video that shows rebel forces celebrating the air strikes and one rebel holding aloft a child, who happens to have in his hand what appears to be one of those old pineapple hand grenades.

ouwasp
3/20/2011, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I almost fogot about the Lockerbie bomber that was released to Libya for "humanitarian" reasons... that pos needs to become collateral damage...

beer4me
3/20/2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I almost fogot about the Lockerbie bomber that was released to Libya for "humanitarian" reasons... that pos needs to become collateral damage...

Dude it was much much worse than that, Gadhafi personally ordered that bombing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/23/gaddafi-lockerbie-bombing-minister-libya

Blue
3/20/2011, 10:09 PM
If you think he is just targeting the rebels then you are naive. Last night CNN had a doctor on that has dual citizenship with the US and Libya.

Anyway, that Dr said he just return home (to Cali) from Libya because his wife is about to give birth to their first child. He was in Benghazi where he was helping with the casualties of the civil war.

Well, regardless, he said that the Libya army and the mercenary air force was targeting building where innocent people lived and plenty of casualties there in Benghazi were women and children.

Yeah...let me tell you, that sounds like Gadahfi is just targeting the rebels! :rolleyes:

I know I believe everything the news tells me.

Blue
3/20/2011, 10:11 PM
let me comment on the rest of this drivel!

Let me just say this...if we are targeting his military to overthrow him...is that such a bad thing? He has been killing innocent people for over 30 years...so yes, even if our silent objective was to overthrow him, we would be saving the people of Libya from his tyrannical rule!

Yet we don't airstrike Sudan, Bahrain, Yemen, etc etc. Pick and choose who to save?

OU Adonis
3/20/2011, 10:19 PM
You really have no idea how this **** works do you?

1. We could always invade and conquer any damn country we see fit...but that would be against world law.
2. We need the backing of the world to do something like this. We were waiting for the UN to get off their *** and put some sanctions down so we don't look like the normal bully!
3. Obama is a ****ing pansy (and yes I actually voted for him and I am a democrat). He doesn't want to upset the anti-war left so he waited until the UN finally gave approval.

They have outlawed war? Who would of thunk it.

We like to have UN authorization just because it looks good. But at the end of the day, we will ultimately do what we want without a resolution if we want to do it bad enough.

soonercruiser
3/20/2011, 10:31 PM

The Arab League doesn't have a clue how to conduct an air war (morons).
Job #1 - clear the battlefield of threats.
The battle field is to the sky. So, job #1 was to eliminate threats to our aircraft.
(But, the Arab League is probably OK with Jihad!) :rolleyes:

soonerinabilene
3/20/2011, 10:58 PM
Detective Frank Drieben, Police Squad, took him out years ago I thought.

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2011, 11:05 PM
Yet we don't airstrike Sudan, Bahrain, Yemen, etc etc. Pick and choose who to save?

Want to just bomb everyone back to the stone age?

Gadahfi should have been taken out of power a long time ago. He supports terrorism and has actually ordered terror attacks!

OU_Sooners75
3/20/2011, 11:06 PM
They have outlawed war? Who would of thunk it.

We like to have UN authorization just because it looks good. But at the end of the day, we will ultimately do what we want without a resolution if we want to do it bad enough.

You cannot seriously be this stupid, can you? If you cannot even get what I implied...I am done speaking to you.

Mongo
3/20/2011, 11:11 PM
The Arab League doesn't have a clue how to conduct an air war (morons).
Job #1 - clear the battlefield of threats.
The battle field is to the sky. So, job #1 was to eliminate threats to our aircraft.
(But, the Arab League is probably OK with Jihad!) :rolleyes:

Not a USA battlefield. Who gives a **** if the camel ****ers blow at air warfare. Their stripped down F4 phantom, bunk F14's, and whatever the russians sold them, can deal with their own region's mess. I would actually pay good money to see the Imax version of antiquated ****boxes duking it out

OU Adonis
3/20/2011, 11:12 PM
You cannot seriously be this stupid, can you? If you cannot even get what I implied...I am done speaking to you.

Promise?

Sooner Cal
3/20/2011, 11:16 PM
For goodness sakes, who cares what an Arab League spokesman thinks. I don't think we should have become involved at all and I don't like spending $120 million on Tomahawk missiles. But since we did, let's make sure we win with minimum loss of American lives.

SCOUT
3/20/2011, 11:18 PM
It is in our best interests to have stability in that region. If we can attain that fundamental goal, with the UN's approval, and save some civilians in the meantime...I am on board.

Peach Fuzz
3/20/2011, 11:49 PM
+1111

What you guys think the Arab League is gonna do about it, just condemn everything we do?

texaspokieokie
3/21/2011, 08:15 AM

why are you doing this ??

texaspokieokie
3/21/2011, 08:16 AM
For goodness sakes, who cares what an Arab League spokesman thinks. I don't think we should have become involved at all and I don't like spending $120 million on Tomahawk missiles. But since we did, let's make sure we win with minimum loss of American lives.

Rite-on !!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
3/21/2011, 09:05 AM

Realpolitik is a bitch. Bahrain - nobody wants to see Shiites taking over there and giving Iran more influence. Yemen - no telling what might take over in that ****hole. Sudan - no oil, who gives a ****.

Gadhafi is a absolutely crazy ****er who would slaughter anybody and everybody in Benghazi if he got the chance. I've actually got no problem with this intervention as long as we don't have to put boots on the ground. Hopefully we'll end up with somebody we can work with there and maybe we can get them to give us that Lockerbie bomber scum back so we can lock him up here in the US.

OULenexaman
3/21/2011, 09:09 AM
why are you doing this ?? I wondered too...maybe he was tourtured over the weekend.

sappstuf
3/21/2011, 12:09 PM
It is in our best interests to have stability in that region. If we can attain that fundamental goal, with the UN's approval, and save some civilians in the meantime...I am on board.

So if we saved some civilians without the UN's approval that would be bad?

SCOUT
3/21/2011, 12:11 PM
So if we saved some civilians without the UN's approval that would be bad?
Ummm... No

Saving them without the headache of a whining UN is just better.

OU_Sooners75
3/21/2011, 12:13 PM
Promise?

LOL

jk the sooner fan
3/21/2011, 12:17 PM
brilliant military strategy

hmmm, we have to do "something" - all those innocent arabs being slaughtered

but the daily kos would turn on me if I commit troops or do anything over the top.....the French are taking the lead and we all know how much experience they have doing that

so yeah - we've got a 100 or so tomahawk missiles that have a short shelf life- we'll lob them on various spots and really put the scare to old Gaddafi

Jacie
3/21/2011, 12:20 PM
Realistically, this thing could come to an end (that might even be the most probable outcome for all I know) where the Colonel is still in control.

For our part, if the no-fly zone is intact, the official stance of the U.S. government is they can fight their civil war so long as he doesn't use planes and tanks to beat his opponents into submission (already being committed to two other wars kind of dictates that is the best we can do this time out). Other than that, anything goes and the rebels need to know that they started this on their own and it will be up to them (they're willing to really take the fight to the government forces instead of run for it when the shooting starts) to finish it.

Let the games continue.

sappstuf
3/21/2011, 12:20 PM
brilliant military strategy

hmmm, we have to do "something" - all those innocent arabs being slaughtered

but the daily kos would turn on me if I commit troops or do anything over the top.....the French are taking the lead and we all know how much experience they have doing that

so yeah - we've got a 100 or so tomahawk missiles that have a short shelf life- we'll lob them on various spots and really put the scare to old Gaddafi

Chuck Todd is now reporting.

WH now says military handoff to enforce No-Fly zone will be in a "couple of weeks".

jk the sooner fan
3/21/2011, 12:21 PM
the French were on this way before we were - hell even Hillary wanted action before Obama did

regardless, the comment you bolded, as well as the rest of the post - was made with complete sarcasm

sappstuf
3/21/2011, 12:32 PM
Ummm... No

Saving them without the headache of a whining UN is just better.

Everybody waited in Rwanda for consensus.. By time they did almost 1 million were dead. But no headache I guess... Clinton blamed it on his "personal failure" that he didn't act.. gasp.. unilaterally. Instead he ran for the hills and the UN followed him.

Pretty much as soon as the ten Belgian blue helmets had been killed, the debate became: Should we beef up the U.N. force, or should we cut it back? The Clinton administration--and one should always remember that in the United Nations Security Council, the United States is essentially the 800-pound gorilla that sits where it wants and can bend others to its will. It's the great power. The Clinton administration's policy was, "Let's withdraw altogether. Let's get out of Rwanda. Leave it to its fate." The United States ambassador to the United Nations at that time was then Madeline Albright. And it was she who was in the wretched position of having to represent this position to the Security Council, and who did so very effectively.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/evil/interviews/gourevitch.html

I guess my point is, there will always be comments from the world peanut gallery. If the President thinks preventing a genocide is in the best interests of the US and the world and that it is worth risking US lives, then he should be big enough to shrug off any criticism from the worthless UN.

sappstuf
3/21/2011, 12:34 PM
the French were on this way before we were - hell even Hillary wanted action before Obama did

regardless, the comment you bolded, as well as the rest of the post - was made with complete sarcasm

I could tell, but I had just saw that Chuck Todd news, so I thought I would post it. We will be in the area for awhile.

Also unconfirmed reports that Gaddafi's son was killed in a kamikaze attack on his barracks.

OU_Sooners75
3/21/2011, 12:36 PM
Everybody waited in Rwanda for consensus.. By time they did almost 1 million were dead. But no headache I guess... Clinton blamed it on his "personal failure" that he didn't act.. gasp.. unilaterally. Instead he ran for the hills and the UN followed him.

I guess my point is, there will always be comments from the world peanut gallery. If the President thinks preventing a genocide is in the best interests of the US and the world and that it is worth risking US lives, then he should be big enough to shrug off any criticism from the worthless UN.

Nice post!:pop:

jk the sooner fan
3/21/2011, 12:47 PM
the last time we bitch slapped gaddadi around a bit - he got real humble

his balls have gotten much bigger over time....