PDA

View Full Version : I oppose the Open Carry bill currently pending on Lincoln Boulevard

Okla-homey
3/20/2011, 07:23 AM
and happy to state, the board of the Oklahoma Rifle Association, which met yesterday in Shawnee, opposes SB 129 too.

SB 129 is well intentioned, but it goes too far. We don't need any jackhole who feels like it strapping on his hogleg and heading out among the rest of us.

Troopers with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol say the new law differs from the other pending open carry handgun bill, HB 1736, in that there is no training required.

"It's going to open it up to anyone without ant training being able to carry a gun where the first one is still going to require them to go through the concealed carry classes, and the training and get the license to do so," says State Senator Frank Simpson.

The bill passed the Senate by a vote of 36 to 8 and was sent on to the House of Representatives for consideration. Senator Frank Simpson, who voted in favor of the bill, says it still has a long way to go and changes may have to be made before the bill would become law.

If you agree, call your state senator and tell him or her so.

http://www.oksenate.gov/legislation/votes/00337.pdf

KABOOKIE
3/20/2011, 07:34 AM
Well if it weren't for sue happy lawyers, then morons who actually need training on how to holster a gun to their leg would have long been thinned from the herd by now.

Okla-homey
3/20/2011, 07:37 AM
Well if it weren't for sue happy lawyers, then morons who actually need training on how to holster a gun to their leg would have long been thinned from the herd by now.

WTF do "sue happy" plaintiff's lawyers have to do with allowing any yay-hoo who wants to to wear a gun openly on his hip at the Wal-Marts?

pphilfran
3/20/2011, 07:59 AM
WTF do "sue happy" plaintiff's lawyers have to do with allowing any yay-hoo who wants to to wear a gun openly on his hip at the Wal-Marts?

I would imagine Wal Mart and most other retailers will not allow open carry in the stores...

GrapevineSooner
3/20/2011, 08:11 AM
I'm very pro 2nd amendment.

And I agree with Homey on this one. Open carry carries (no pun intended) a very high level of responsibility.

There should be some process in place to prove to the state you can be responsible with this privilege.

walkoffsooner
3/20/2011, 08:17 AM
They need to go through the concealed carry class with background check first. This seams like a no brainer.

pphilfran
3/20/2011, 08:22 AM
They need to go through the concealed carry class with background check first. This seams like a no brainer.

You do realize we are talking about politicians...

MR2-Sooner86
3/20/2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.opencarry.org/images/opencarrymap.png
Click on each state to get the details on each law. The Open Carry Friendly States are different in wha they allow, local laws, etc. (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html)

From my understanding if a Private Business does not want you to carry into their establishment, you can't no matter what the law says. Now walking down the street would be a different story.

I'm 100% for this.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. Would you rather people be concealing their weapons (there are many who do without a license) or have it out in the open where you can see it?

When looking above we know of the Arizona shooting recently that happened in an open carry state. The thing is Loughner had a concealed weapon and then drew it before he opened fire.

The people who are against it (which I'm surprised) are using the same liberal talking points used against concealed carry and other gun laws.
Blood in the streets.
Shootings in the streets like it's the Old West.
Simple fender benders will turn into blind rage and murder.

It simple HAS NOT happened. Nothing but fear of society.

If everybody had a gun, would you feel safe going out? Why or why not?

If you said no, you don't trust people in our society. You look at everybody and assume people either have bad intentions or won't do the right thing at the right time. Why else would you be scared of an armed population?

C&CDean
3/20/2011, 08:34 AM
I'm sorta meh on this one. It won't change how I operate one iota.

Okla-homey
3/20/2011, 08:53 AM
Click on each state to get the details on each law. The Open Carry Friendly States are different in wha they allow, local laws, etc. (http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html)

The graphic above doesn't tell the whole story. Each "open carry" state allows local pre-emption. IOW, you can open carry in AZ, but you can't by local ordinance in Phoenix, Tombstone or Flagstaff.

If SB129 becomes law in OK, I would expect the OKC, Tulsa, Norman, etc. local governments to quickly move for similar pre-emptory laws.

Okla-homey
3/20/2011, 08:58 AM

From my understanding if a Private Business does not want you to carry into their establishment, you can't no matter what the law says. Now walking down the street would be a different story.

I'm 100% for this.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. Would you rather people be concealing their weapons (there are many who do without a license) or have it out in the open where you can see it?

When looking above we know of the Arizona shooting recently that happened in an open carry state. The thing is Loughner had a concealed weapon and then drew it before he opened fire.

The people who are against it (which I'm surprised) are using the same liberal talking points used against concealed carry and other gun laws.
Blood in the streets.
Shootings in the streets like it's the Old West.
Simple fender benders will turn into blind rage and murder.

It simple HAS NOT happened. Nothing but fear of society.

If you said no, you don't trust people in our society. You look at everybody and assume people either have bad intentions or won't do the right thing at the right time. Why else would you be scared of an armed population?

I'm 100% in support of an armed populace. I'm also 100% in support of a non-felon's right to carry concealed. But I'm opposed to allowing anyone 18 or older to go about with a pistol or revolver on his hip or an AK or AR slung on his shoulder. With no training and no background check.

I also think the above is why the Okla. Rifle Association, in existence since 1927 - and beleive me, not a bunch of pinkie-lifting espresso sippers, oppose SB 129.

MR2-Sooner86
3/20/2011, 09:18 AM
The graphic above doesn't tell the whole story. Each "open carry" state allows local pre-emption. IOW, you can open carry in AZ, but you can't by local ordinance in Phoenix, Tombstone or Flagstaff.

If SB129 becomes law in OK, I would expect the OKC, Tulsa, Norman, etc. local governments to quickly move for similar pre-emptory laws.

That's why I provided the link so you could click on each state. If you go to that link and click on a state it'll show you what the law is along with local ordinances and such.

I'm 100% in support of an armed populace. I'm also 100% in support of a non-felon's right to carry concealed. But I'm opposed to allowing anyone 18 or older to go about with a pistol or revolver on his hip or an AK or AR slung on his shoulder. With no training and no background check.

That's the thing, if this were to pass, do you believe more people who shouldn't be carrying will carry, it will be even between those who should and shouldn't, or a majority of people carrying are just normal people who feel better with a revolver on their hip?

I mean a concealed carry class does NOT teach you how to shoot. Yes, you get the basics down and shoot off a few magazines in the class but that's it. Most of the time it's going over the do's and do nots. I'd be willing to bet I'm more or equally qualified, other than the actual license, to carry a handgun around like most CCL holders. However, I've also been shooting handguns since I was 5.

So who are the people who you worry about? Johnny Cowboy or a bunch of ex-cons? I guess my thing is that I think the people who you'd be worried about, gang bangers, felons, Mexicans, etc. will already be carrying regardless of what the law says. Might as well make it easier for law abiding citizens.

I also think the above is why the Okla. Rifle Association, in existence since 1927 - and beleive me, not a bunch of pinkie-lifting espresso sippers, oppose SB 129.

Oh it's a good organization I'm just surprised to see they're against it. I mentioned liberal talking points because reading several news stories I'm hearing the same things I hear against other gun laws with I find odd.

royalfan5
3/20/2011, 09:33 AM
We've always had open carry in Nebraska. I've never seen anyone carrying openly in the metro areas, but it's still an accepted tradition out west.

Pricetag
3/20/2011, 09:37 AM

If distrust of others isn't the primary motive for carrying, what is?

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2011, 09:44 AM
I'm 200% in favor of this bill. I think it's fantastic that the state of Oklahoma is going to protect and encourage the exercise of one of the most important and fundamental rights of every American.

Personally, when I'm back in the state, I'm going to start strapping on two ivory handled revolvers ala Patton.

jk the sooner fan
3/20/2011, 09:44 AM
i carry concealed....does that make all you gun haters any less comfy? so now you get to see it on my hip rather than not see it tucked away....

beer4me
3/20/2011, 09:47 AM
Heh you can have kids without a test or training, but by golly less important stuff we better test on. Its all hypocritial.

BTW
I carry concealed also, just think I may have came across some of you at some time or another, I don't remember shooting any of you.

MR2-Sooner86
3/20/2011, 10:19 AM
If distrust of others isn't the primary motive for carrying, what is?

That's the thing, who are you worried about carrying that you don't want to be able to carry? If you're worried, why not carry yourself?

As I stated, I think those you'd be worried about will carry regardless of what the law says. I say open the laws up so you can let more people carry because I believe the more people who carry, armed criminals become outnumbered, and you have a safer society.

I guess my thing is that I think the people who you'd be worried about, gang bangers, felons, Mexicans, etc. will already be carrying regardless of what the law says.

To answer a person's question sent to me, the reason people would be worried about Mexicans is because...they're Mexican ;)

FYI that was put in there as a joke but I guess humor is lost to some.

jkjsooner
3/20/2011, 10:58 AM

This is a side issue from the law and legal rights to open carry firearms but I want to address this...

For the most part I trust people in our society but there are some people who may be perfectly nice moral people but because they're a little more impulsive by nature they don't need constant access to a firearm. Hopefully most of them understand their faults and choose not to put themselves in that position.

There's a theory that an extreme level of arms within a society would yield more freedom and security. G Gordon Liddy often makes this argument. I would counter that countries such as Afghanistan and Somalia paint quite a different picture. While one may be free to protect himself, it sure doesn't seem like one (armed or not) is anywhere near free in these countries. When people of different political persuasions than yourself decide to band together to counteract your beliefs, your status of being armed in no way counterbalances your loss of freedom from this armed group.

I'm not saying our society in any way resembles Somalia and Afghanistan so the results of a highly armed society could be the opposite here but clearly you can't make a universal argument that more arms = more freedom.

beer4me
3/20/2011, 12:40 PM
but there are some people who may be perfectly nice moral people but because they're a little more impulsive by nature they don't need constant access to a motor vehicle.

FIFY

Yep we need to ban those also, nobody needs one to live, therefore expendable.

AlboSooner
3/20/2011, 01:39 PM
Right now Ok has perfect gun laws. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Okla-homey
3/20/2011, 03:27 PM
Right now Ok has perfect gun laws. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

That my friend, is the whole argument against SB 129 in a nutshell. Bravo. Spek.

And another thing, Gun rights people in Oklahoma worked for a long time to get concealed carry adopted in Oklahoma. Under our law, if a property owner doesn't want guns in his building, he need only post a "no guns allowed" sign at the entrance. Most CCP holders are conditioned to look for that sign because we are required to respect it. Currentlty, those businesses that have such signs posted are in the distinct minority.

Now, if SB 129 passes, and people start going about with long-guns slung on their shoulders and/or pistolas hanging on their hips, how long before the majority of Oklahoma businesses post "no guns" signs? In fact, I'd wager their liability carriers will make such a sign a condition of coverage. And such signs mean no concealed guns either.

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 03:32 PM

cccasooner2
3/20/2011, 04:29 PM

Exactly, why regulate? Everyone has a constitutional right to carry and use a concealed/not-concealed weapon whether a felon or non-felon. The only consequences should come with the use.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/20/2011, 04:54 PM
Exactly, why regulate? Everyone has a constitutional right to carry and use a concealed/not-concealed weapon whether a felon or non-felon. The only consequences should come with the use.

I don't believe this is the case.

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 04:54 PM
I don't believe this is the case.

Okla-homey
3/20/2011, 05:04 PM

The Supreme Court of the United States has held that while most of us do have a fundamental right to own guns, states and local governments may constitutionally regulate a person's carrying of those guns.

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 05:08 PM
The Supreme Court of the United States has held that while most of us do have a fundamental right to own guns, states and local governments may constitutionally regulate a person's carrying of those guns.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/20/2011, 05:12 PM

troup is shooting for 50K today.

jkjsooner
3/20/2011, 05:23 PM
FIFY

Yep we need to ban those also, nobody needs one to live, therefore expendable.

I'm assuming this is a sarcastic attempt to attack my post. I'm also assuming you didn't read my first sentence:

This is a side issue from the law and legal rights to open carry firearms but I want to address this...

yermom
3/20/2011, 05:37 PM
i tend to side with Dean on this. i'm not sure how i feel about requiring a class for something that should be a right.

you know, to borrow from the poll tax/ID argument...

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 06:05 PM
troup is shooting for 50K today.

olevetonahill
3/20/2011, 06:17 PM
As in most things Im a Deaneritte
I aint askin anyones permission, Ill tote a gun when /If i feel the need. For the most part i never feel the need unless im traveling.
Dont figure I need any more training either ;)

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 06:30 PM
As in most things Im a Deaneritte
I aint askin anyones permission, Ill tote a gun when /If i feel the need. For the most part i never feel the need unless im traveling.
Dont figure I need any more training either ;)

C&CDean
3/20/2011, 06:52 PM
That my friend, is the whole argument against SB 129 in a nutshell. Bravo. Spek.

And another thing, Gun rights people in Oklahoma worked for a long time to get concealed carry adopted in Oklahoma. Under our law, if a property owner doesn't want guns in his building, he need only post a "no guns allowed" sign at the entrance. Most CCP holders are conditioned to look for that sign because we are required to respect it. Currentlty, those businesses that have such signs posted are in the distinct minority.

Now, if SB 129 passes, and people start going about with long-guns slung on their shoulders and/or pistolas hanging on their hips, how long before the majority of Oklahoma businesses post "no guns" signs? In fact, I'd wager their liability carriers will make such a sign a condition of coverage. And such signs mean no concealed guns either.

I was raised in AZ. Nobody openly carried/carries long guns, short guns, pee shooters or BB guns out there. Yes, you can, but nobody does it. Same thing would happen right here in OK. Change the law, nothing will change. Anybody wanna bet?

Don't get me wrong, initially there'll be a couple goobers out of Tulsa County wanting to strap up, but that'll fizzle out real quick. Those that carry will continue to carry. Those that don't? Won't. It will not change a single damn thing about how we live our lives.

Again, anybody wanna bet?

KABOOKIE
3/20/2011, 09:06 PM
I ain't a scurred of some "no-guns" sign. Up here in Kansas they're amending the law so that a business owner can't have you prosecuted criminally for carrying into their establishment. They can ask you to leave but that's about it. So, what they don't know ain't gonna hurt them.

CORNholio
3/21/2011, 03:31 AM
Heh you can have kids without a test or training.

That's because that is a God given right. It's not up to men to regulate. BTW, 1940's Germany called they want their ideology back.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2011, 11:34 AM
Apparently "open carry" just failed in committee by an 8-9 vote. I don't have a link yet, just a well placed source.

soonercruiser
4/6/2011, 11:54 AM
I personally prefer the "suprise" of concealed carry!
:D

Pricetag
4/6/2011, 12:43 PM
How does a dude carry a concealed firearm without the use of a fanny pack? I don't think I'd ever carry just out of the sheer inconvenience.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2011, 01:04 PM
Shoulder holster.

http://www.c-rusty.com/Resources/holsters/brownshoe1.jpg

Viking Kitten
4/6/2011, 01:07 PM
It could still go to a vote of the people though. (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-house-committee-defeats-open-carry-measure/article/3555987?custom_click=lead_story_title)

Pricetag
4/6/2011, 01:10 PM
Shoulder holster.
But then you'd have to wear a jacket all the time, no? That would be a drag.

Viking Kitten
4/6/2011, 01:12 PM
LIGHTEN UP MAN...C'MON IT'S A JACKET.

Harry Beanbag
4/6/2011, 09:50 PM
How does a dude carry a concealed firearm without the use of a fanny pack? I don't think I'd ever carry just out of the sheer inconvenience.

DaWyS3cTMHA

There are also several small to medium caliber semi-auto pistols (much smaller than the one in the video) these days that will easily fit in a pocket.