PDA

View Full Version : Need some computer help!!

PhiDeltBeers
3/19/2011, 09:31 PM
So, last night I bought an external hard drive from Bestbuy. It's a Seagate 1.5TB (1500 Gigs) formatted in NTFS. I want to put all my music, pictures, and home video on it so I can play it thru my Playstation 3. Well, in order to do this, I had to reformat it into a FAT32 partition. I downloaded SwissKnife to do this. So after reformatting into FAT32, it shows the hard drive only has 393 gigs!!! I've lost like 1100 gigs?!! Have I screwed up? Any IT guys out there that can help?

SoonerKnight
3/19/2011, 11:13 PM
This is an odd problem. You could have used windows to format the HD and then loaded your stuff on there and connected it up to your PS. Hell you should have been able to use your computer to talk to your ps3 and run the files from PC to PS3 without any real effort at all. I have.

yermom
3/19/2011, 11:50 PM
how do you talk to your PS3 and move files to it??

as for formatting the drive to FAT32, you should be able to do that natively in Windows, are you using XP?

Ike
3/20/2011, 12:05 AM
IIRC, windows utilities impose a size limit to FAT32 (although they can mount and read larger FAT32 volumes without problem)...primarily because windows gets bogged down with large FAT32 volumes.

The utility you downloaded may have had it's own size limit. You might think about partitioning the drive and formatting each partition separately.

yermom
3/20/2011, 12:10 AM
i was poking around Microshaft's site and i think once you are in Windows, you can create them that large, but not during the install

Ike
3/20/2011, 12:19 AM
Maybe...But most filesystems do have inherent size limits...the older the FS, the smaller the size limit. But I don't know exactly what the size limits are. This sounds like he ran into a size limit of some sort though (either intrinsic, although I doubt it, or imposed by the software he used).

yermom
3/20/2011, 12:42 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

they say 8TB, which seems insanely large...

SoonerKnight
3/20/2011, 01:36 AM
If you want to move the files to your PS3 then you have to hook the drive up to your PS through USB. I was refering to playing the files from PC to PS3. Haven't messed around with it too much but can be done. PS3 can be a media server.

yermom
3/20/2011, 04:03 AM
ok, yeah i tried streaming but my wireless setup was not going over well

i was hoping there was some way to ftp files onto it or something

PhiDeltBeers
3/20/2011, 08:06 AM
Windows will only partition 32 gigs on a FAT32. I'm guessing the software I used must have been 393 size limit. Here's the question....how do I fix it? Take it back to Bestbuy and exchange it. Hate to be "that guy," but not sure what do do.

My wireless network has trouble getting upstairs into the theater where my PS3 is, so I haven't really tried to go wireless streaming.

49r
3/20/2011, 12:44 PM
Windows Users
Freeware such as EASEUS Partition Manager allow you to format the entire drive as FAT32, whereas windows and other programs like SwissKnife v3 will limit it to 32GB and 393GB respectively.

Mac OS X Users
Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app, pick the drive, and click on the 'Erase' tab. Pick 'MS-DOS (FAT)' for the file system type, and click on the 'Erase' button.

Mac OS X Leopard Users
Open /Application/Utilities/Disk Utility.app, pick the drive and click on the 'Partition' tab. Pick '1 Partition,' for the Volume Scheme, and 'MS-DOS (FAT),' for the Format. Click the 'Options...' button (near the bottom) and select 'Master Boot Record.' Press 'Okay' and then 'Apply.'

Easus Partition Manager (http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10149563-12.html) Looks like it could handle the job.

So, apparently, does a Mac.

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks 49r! Worked like a champ!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/21/2011, 10:50 AM
I stream wireless using the ps3 as a media server..no problems, but I m building a desktop to place in the den so I can wire it all together..

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 10:54 AM
I really need to work on the streaming. I don't really know how to do it yet. Guess that's something else I need to research. I would assume if I stream, then it doesn't matter the partition on a drive?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/21/2011, 10:57 AM
Shouldnt...I use the ps3 media server software and pick what drive and folders I want to access

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 11:12 AM
Shouldnt...I use the ps3 media server software and pick what drive and folders I want to access

So basically, you pull it off your PC via wireless router?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/21/2011, 11:22 AM
yup...man, its super easy..make the folder(s) sharable with the music, movies, etc in it and set it up on the software to read those files..

KuppiKunta
3/21/2011, 11:53 AM
**Hijack alert**

Another Comp to PS3 question. I can wirelessly connect to my computer from the PS3, but can't stream all my music. It's weird because I have 1800 songs in my itunes account, but when I access it thru the PS3, it only shows something like 130 songs available. Anyone know why this is? Same with pics. I have tons of pics on the PC, but only a select few can be accessed thru the PS3.

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 11:56 AM
**Hijack alert**

Another Comp to PS3 question. I can wirelessly connect to my computer from the PS3, but can't stream all my music. It's weird because I have 1800 songs in my itunes account, but when I access it thru the PS3, it only shows something like 130 songs available. Anyone know why this is? Same with pics. I have tons of pics on the PC, but only a select few can be accessed thru the PS3.

Not sure, but the music may have to be mp3 format.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/21/2011, 11:57 AM
Silly question..is all of your itunes music in the same folder?

DIB
3/21/2011, 11:57 AM
**Hijack alert**

Could it be the file format? Are some of your music files .mp3?

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 12:16 PM
Hey STEP, what software do you use to stream, and do you just download to the PC?

oudavid1
3/21/2011, 01:06 PM
re format your HD to NTFS, put all your shiz on there, hook it up to a computer that is always on, then connect PC to PS3 and there ya go.

yermom
3/21/2011, 02:31 PM
NTFS FTL!

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 02:34 PM
Well, the bad thing about fat32 is there is a 4gb file size max. I might look into streaming and reformat back to NTFS, so file size won't matter. Or I'll just do 2 partitions.

NTFS - 750 gb
Fat32 - 750 gb

KuppiKunta
3/21/2011, 02:39 PM
Could it be the file format? Are some of your music files .mp3?

Could be, but I really have no clue. I just know the songs sync up to my phone just fine and that's my primary use for them, so I haven't looked into too much.

yermom
3/21/2011, 02:42 PM
Well, the bad thing about fat32 is there is a 4gb file size max. I might look into streaming and reformat back to NTFS, so file size won't matter. Or I'll just do 2 partitions.

NTFS - 750 gb
Fat32 - 750 gb

i like fat32 even less than NTFS

it would be nice if there was a modern file system that anything could use.

trying to go between a Mac, Windows and Linux box with external drives and large archive files is a nightmare

DIB
3/21/2011, 02:43 PM
Could be, but I really have no clue. I just know the songs sync up to my phone just fine and that's my primary use for them, so I haven't looked into too much.

It could be that your PS3 doesn't recognize the songs you purchased through itunes. A lot of non-Apple products don't.

PhiDeltBeers
3/21/2011, 02:48 PM
It could be that your PS3 doesn't recognize the songs you purchased through itunes. A lot of non-Apple products don't.

That's because of the file type. I believe itunes uses mp4 which doesn't work on a lot of devices. I had to download tuneclone and convert all my music to mp3. Took all day for about 14 gb of music. I figured this out when trying to play music thru my bmw's idrive system via usb. Had to convert everything. I believe the PS3 is the same way.

KuppiKunta
3/21/2011, 03:28 PM

The majority of my music is from my own cd's. I don't purchase much from itunes.

yermom
3/21/2011, 03:46 PM
you have to be careful when ripping with iTunes too though. it doesn't default to mp3

stoops the eternal pimp
3/22/2011, 02:15 AM
Hey STEP, what software do you use to stream, and do you just download to the PC?

Its actually called ps3 media server...lots of different builds going on..love it

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/