PDA

View Full Version : Culture clash

Leroy Lizard
3/19/2011, 05:07 PM
Yesterday a grad student from SE Asia emailed me that she wasn't going to be able to stop by because she was getting married this weekend. I said my congratulations, but asked her why hadn't she mentioned this earlier to me. Well, her response led me to believe that she had only found out about the plans relatively recently. Well, okay.

Well, today she shows up! I ask her, "Aren't you supposed to be getting married?" She told me that her parents had told her yesterday, "It's not this weekend; it's next weekend."

Thought you might enjoy a tale from the other side of the block. :D

pphilfran
3/19/2011, 06:48 PM
Are you still hittin' it?

Sooner_Bob
3/19/2011, 07:45 PM
Heh

SanJoaquinSooner
3/19/2011, 09:00 PM
Has Arizona outlawed students on F-1 visas from having anchor babies?

Leroy Lizard
3/20/2011, 12:47 AM
Has Arizona outlawed students on F-1 visas from having anchor babies?

Never thought about that. But I think this was probably an arranged marriage. Or she simply meant to say that she was supposed to go to a wedding and fouled up the English.

Chuck Bao
3/20/2011, 08:38 AM
Something got really fouled up in the translation. A soon-to-be bride wouldn't get her wedding date mixed up, no matter if she is Filipina, Thai, Malay or Indonesian.

fadada1
3/20/2011, 11:22 AM
so i showed up to my wedding today, and the stupid b*tch thinks it's next weekend. apparently her parents are morons. maybe i'll go to vegas instead.

i got nuthin'

Leroy Lizard
3/20/2011, 11:57 AM
so i showed up to my wedding today, and the stupid b*tch thinks it's next weekend. apparently her parents are morons. maybe i'll go to vegas instead.

i got nuthin'

And her dumbass graduate advisor didn't even catch the mistake. What a dumbass.