PDA

View Full Version : iPhone4 as a WiFi hotspot

Lott's Bandana
3/19/2011, 12:38 PM
Brilliant, IMO.

However, wondering how this would affect sales of iPads with 3G, at least with iPhone users?

yermom
3/19/2011, 12:40 PM
brilliant would be if it wasn't an extra $20

Lott's Bandana
3/19/2011, 12:49 PM
brilliant would be if it wasn't an extra $20

Haven't got that far yet, and I only have a 3GS at this point, but the extry savings from not buying the iPad3G as well as the iPad3G data plan makes $20 seem, well...almost brilliant?

StoopTroup
3/19/2011, 12:54 PM

AlboSooner
3/19/2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah, the JB community has done this years ago.

yermom
3/19/2011, 01:15 PM
Haven't got that far yet, and I only have a 3GS at this point, but the extry savings from not buying the iPad3G as well as the iPad3G data plan makes $20 seem, well...almost brilliant?

they limit your bandwidth anyway, so i don't understand the rationale

Lott's Bandana
3/19/2011, 01:22 PM
they limit your bandwidth anyway, so i don't understand the rationale

If you own a cabin on Lake X, and have 3G phone coverage, you can operate your laptop online now without an aircard?

If you travel a lot and pull over to send a work email, you can do it on your laptop connected to your phone now, again without an aircard?

Not intending to be argumentative, but aren't these advantages to this new feature, or am I again missing something negative?

yermom
3/19/2011, 01:24 PM
i'm saying i don't see how AT&T justifies it to customers

there has been tech to do this since before EDGE and 3G

StoopTroup
3/19/2011, 01:35 PM

swardboy
3/19/2011, 01:39 PM

I'm considering the $49 3gs deal....are you happy with the speed of the apps?

yermom
3/19/2011, 01:47 PM
The aircard is just silly unless you can justify the expense.

Rural areas also have been why some folks use AT&T or Verizon in Green Country. Buddy of mine lives in Locust Grove and AT&T Coverage is minimal and Verizon is pretty good. It sucks as he'd rather be an AT&T Customer.

Also...If what Yermom is saying is true...it would be cool not to have to be an insider to know not to buy an IPAD 3g to be able to avoid the $20 hotspot costs. I guess I should go totally geek but it's not in me anymore. I want simple and easy.

dedicated air cards are faster in my experience than tethering though.

i was basically tethered on my AT&T smart phone all the way from Austin to Norman on I-35 (some 3G, some EDGE) driving home from the Big 12 championship game in 2006. the only reason they weren't offering that on iPhones to start was that their network would have probably crashed. it could barely handle the normal traffic from iPhones in a lot of areas. but then i guess they couldn't come in and charge more later as a "new feature" either.

StoopTroup
3/19/2011, 01:54 PM

OUthunder
3/19/2011, 02:17 PM
AT&T not so good.

HBick
3/19/2011, 02:49 PM
AT&T just sent out notices to people who they "suspect" are using tethering without paying for it.

What really chaps my *** is that AT&T and Verizon want you to pay an extra $20 a month for something that is native to the device. The tethering feature (since it is a feature and not a service as they would have you believe) is free with most providers in Europe btw.

StoopTroup
3/19/2011, 03:01 PM

Lott's Bandana
3/19/2011, 03:10 PM
AT&T isnt all that but if you travel at all, any CDMA carrier is frankly idiotic.

Go out of country and Verizon has to send you a loaner phone unless you have one of the few multis.

My iPad2 arrives next week.

StoopTroup
3/19/2011, 03:12 PM

HBick
3/19/2011, 04:41 PM
Let us know what you think about it. I almost spent the dough on the IPAD 3G and just had a feeling they'd make this newer version soon after they put the 4G Iphone out.

As in you know they will release a new iPhone and iPad every year, around the same time of the year forever? iPad has Feb/March/April then they announce the new iPhone in May so that people can take off another day three months later to go get a new gadget.

I'm not saying I'm against it, but Apple has figured out how to maximize publicity