PDA

View Full Version : Buzz's team

Soonerjeepman
3/18/2011, 09:51 PM
watched them tonight...liked what I saw, but that's 1 game....

he might be a good grab...guess we'll be waiting a little longer for an announcement...LOL...

oh..and C'MON VCU...can't stand the Thompsons...beat the hoyas...

The Ghost of Mex
3/18/2011, 10:11 PM
:0WL:Who?:0WL:

Blue
3/18/2011, 10:29 PM
Just my opinion...but count me out on hiring this Yankee Yahoo.

ZKgJEGWQs8I&feature=player_embedded#at=18

Seems he'd be better off in Milwaukee, or the Jersey Shore.

Collier11
3/18/2011, 10:30 PM
I dont see what is so great, good coach but not that exciting to me

Soonerjeepman
3/18/2011, 10:33 PM
mild upset..thought the kids played hard....not saying he's it...

oh yeah baby..VCU takin to the hoyas...LOL

soonercoop1
3/19/2011, 12:33 PM
watched them tonight...liked what I saw, but that's 1 game....

he might be a good grab...guess we'll be waiting a little longer for an announcement...LOL...

oh..and C'MON VCU...can't stand the Thompsons...beat the hoyas...

Buzz makes 1.1 million already so I doubt OU will pay him that or more to come here...

Sooner74
3/19/2011, 01:07 PM
Buzz makes 1.1 million already so I doubt OU will pay him that or more to come here...

I can easily see us paying that.

Soonerjeepman
3/19/2011, 02:08 PM
we paid Capel 1.5 for a under .500 team...2 yrs in a row...

Eielson
3/19/2011, 03:38 PM

I can't think of many worse reasons to count a coach out.

zandozan
3/19/2011, 04:01 PM

Do you even know what a Yankee is? Dude was born in Texas, went to college in Oklahoma. He's bout as far away from a Yankee as you can possibly be. It's only a video of him having a good time, lighten up Francis.

zandozan
3/19/2011, 04:19 PM
If you don't like Buzz's singing, he can dazzle you with his dance moves ;)

-cDf08OZ57Y

Honestly the guy is kinda goofy, has slightly odd taste in clothes but he seems like a pretty genuine dude who isn't afraid of displaying his silly side.

Blue
3/19/2011, 06:00 PM
Do you even know what a Yankee is? Dude was born in Texas, went to college in Oklahoma. He's bout as far away from a Yankee as you can possibly be. It's only a video of him having a good time, lighten up Francis.

He sounds like one to me. Maybe take your own advice?

Blue
3/19/2011, 06:02 PM
I can't think of many worse reasons to count a coach out.

Last time I checked, I'm not hiring anyone.

bluedogok
3/19/2011, 06:07 PM
we paid Capel 1.5 for a under .500 team...2 yrs in a row...
Still cheaper than Mack's 1.1 million a win.......:texan:

Eielson
3/19/2011, 08:28 PM

If you're going to use that argument, you shouldn't even be giving your opinion.

birddog
3/19/2011, 08:49 PM

would you hire a hindu feller?

zandozan
3/20/2011, 12:08 AM
He sounds like one to me. Maybe take your own advice?

LOL..the southern drawl gave it away huh?

Vegas Sooner
3/20/2011, 04:54 AM
Don't want him at my alma.

Get Lon!

The Maestro
3/20/2011, 08:18 AM
Buzz has won a first round NCAA game at least the last three years...yeah, we certainly don't want that in Norman.

But seriously...can we get the Butler coach? I can't believe I am asking that, but if we can, his name needs to be right there as well.

Collier11
3/20/2011, 10:21 AM
Buzz has never made it past the 2nd round,fyi...I dont know how picky we can be but if we are being picky I dont know that he is good enough

zandozan
3/20/2011, 06:09 PM
Buzz has never made it past the 2nd round,fyi...I dont know how picky we can be but if we are being picky I dont know that he is good enough

I wonder what Joe C's primary focus is on hiring a new coach. Experience, character, winning, recruiting, exciting brand of basketball. You know that it's almost a guarantee that they will really focus on a guy who can not only evaluate talent but recruit good character kids as well. They'll want a guy who's not been in trouble with the NCAA as you can imagine Boren and Joe C have been embarrassed by the recent troubles there. Joe C wants to make a big hire here because his legacy is somewhat at stake if he makes another mistake.

Here's two names that I think would cause the most buzz. One would cause buzz among the fans and possibly energize the base with a return to OU's old style of play. The other would cause tremendous buzz among the national media and bring OU a lot of attention.

The first is Terry Evans. His primary positive is he's an OU guy, has had a lot of success coaching and brings an exciting brand of basketball. His primary negative is a lack of experience running a D-1 program, including not knowing if he can recruit good players here while maintaining a clean program. This may be too close a situation to Capel for Joe C to consider.

The second and one I think we really should debate is Geno Auriemma. I myself am not sold on this idea but I think we should at least look at it. It really sounds like he came within a whisker of coming here before Capel was hired. He recently stated he had almost decided to come but his family talked him out of it. Now his kids have graduated and he's broken the women's NCAA win record. There's not much more he can accomplish within women's basketball. If there ever was a time he would try his hand in the men's game it is now. That being said, would we want him?

His record is obviously incredible. 7 National Championships, 15 conference championships and 767-123 win/loss. All of this in the women's game. He has coached D-1 men before with a few years at St. Joseph's (where he played collegiate ball) and several years at Virginia as an assistant. He left Virginia to become UConn's women's coach.

There are major questions however. He's 56 for one so who knows how much longer he intends to coach. If he comes here are we getting his 100 percent best...is he going to test the men's game and if he doesn't have immediate success does he bolt? We know he can recruit in the women's game but can he recruit good men's players here? Does he have any connections to mens high school programs in Oklahoma or in Texas or men's AAU ball. How long does it take him to acclimate himself to the different style and athleticism of the men's game. There's a ton of questions and only speculation as to the answers.

After looking at all the coaches we've talked about the last couple of weeks there are some obvious guys who would be good fits, safe fits, low risk but possibly low reward type guys. There's some who are high risk high reward though and the two biggest I think are Evans and Auriemma. Something makes me think that Joe C really wants to make a BIG splash with this hire. He wants to get the national media very interested in OU. If I had to guess on who Joe C has as his number 1, based on the fact that he went after him hard the previous hire and the fact that he will create a great deal of interest good and possibly bad, in OU I would have to think that Geno Auriemma is the guy if he want's to come. I myself wouldn't do it, but I think Joe C will. What do you guys think?

C&CDean
3/20/2011, 07:00 PM
That was a lot of typing for a lot of nothing. Just sayin'.

StoopTroup
3/20/2011, 07:02 PM

soonervegas
3/20/2011, 07:09 PM
Man hazing the rookies I see.......

I say we shoot for Buzz, etc. and we settle on Evans.... And he works his butt off to make OU successful and succeeds.

zandozan
3/20/2011, 09:06 PM

No one forced you to read it. It was an attempt to generate a little more intelligent debate than the usual posts about nothing. I thought that's what message boards were for ;)

Eielson
3/20/2011, 10:39 PM

What was that? :P

Soonerjeepman
3/20/2011, 10:55 PM
Buzz is now in the S16...so is the VCU guy...

#1 Buzz (2 of Oklahoma's top future HS kids list Marquette as a school of interest)
#2A Wichita State guy
#2B Terry Evans...he's got more OU blood in him...he'd die for the program
#3 VCU guy..(he'll stay back east I'm sure..)

zandozan
3/20/2011, 11:12 PM
Gregg Marshall -Wichita State

Shaka Smart-VCU

And Marquette couldn't ask for better recruiting buzz..pun intended.

Vegas Sooner
3/21/2011, 12:31 AM
Buzz is now in the S16...so is the VCU guy...

#1 Buzz (2 of Oklahoma's top future HS kids list Marquette as a school of interest)
#2A Wichita State guy
#2B Terry Evans...he's got more OU blood in him...he'd die for the program
#3 VCU guy..(he'll stay back east I'm sure..)

Joe C. will not hire out of the BTK planet. 2 time turn-downs! The "stalker" and Turgeon thought they were bigger than Norman.

Imagine all of the Uncle Fester posters at Iba when if OU had to coach with Buzz.

SoonerNutt
3/23/2011, 04:31 PM
No one forced you to read it. It was an attempt to generate a little more intelligent debate than the usual posts about nothing. I thought that's what message boards were for ;)

Your two candidates have coached a combined zero division 1 men's basketball games. An "intelligent debate" would include realistic candidates.

zandozan
3/24/2011, 04:58 AM
Your two candidates have coached a combined zero division 1 men's basketball games. An "intelligent debate" would include realistic candidates.

You don't consider Terry Evans a realistic candidate? Most people around here sure do and they seem relatively intelligent ;)

KuppiKunta
3/24/2011, 08:25 AM

You're first mistake was expecting "intelligent" debate!!

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 08:58 AM
You don't consider Terry Evans a realistic candidate? Most people around here sure do and they seem relatively intelligent ;)

I resemble that remark.

SoonerNutt
3/24/2011, 09:40 AM

No. I don't. His name is thrown around because of his history here, but he hasn't coached a single D1 game. Hiring him would send a message to the fans that our administration has simply given up on trying to compete with the rest of the big 12.

KuppiKunta
3/24/2011, 09:58 AM
No. I don't. His name is thrown around because of his history here, but he hasn't coached a single D1 game. Hiring him would send a message to the fans that our administration has simply given up on trying to compete with the rest of the big 12.

Like when Joe C hired that HS coach in order to not drop the women's program?

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 10:08 AM

Yup.

Or that football D-coordinator from Florida?

If he hires Evans, and he comes in and does a good job, people will eat it up. Local boy does good, etc. If it fails, people will be pretty much like they are all the time around here. Bitching, pissing, moaning, and not going to any games. What's to lose?

Mjcpr
3/24/2011, 10:17 AM

Yup.

If he hires Evans, and he comes in and does a good job, people will eat it up. Local boy does good, etc. If it fails, people will be pretty much like they are all the time around here. Bitching, pissing, moaning, and not going to any games. What's to lose?

Joe C. hired Sherri Coale?

Who knew.

oumartin
3/24/2011, 10:27 AM
Wonder if Joe C told Donnie Duncan

badger
3/24/2011, 10:40 AM
Joe C. hired Sherri Coale?

Who knew.

facepalm facepalm groan groan groan. :eek: Just for the record for anyone that doesn't know, please remember that Joe Castiglione started at Oklahoma in 1998. Sherri started coaching at OU in '96. Also, for the record, she didn't have a winning season till her third year and an NCAA berth till her fourth... but hasn't missed it since :)

Joe C's notable successes at coaching hires IMHO include Martin Smith (track/CC), Mark Williams (men's gymnastics), Sunny Galloway (baseball), Santiago Restrepo (volleyball), and of course, Bob Stoops (whatever sport he coaches).

The biggest flop in Joe C's tenure was not Jeff Capel, IMHO. That dishonor would go to Gene Stephenson, who was OU's new baseball coach for about... say... three hours? Second to that would be Capel I guess, just because I can't think of anyone else that has really done craptacular at OU hired by Joe C.

Mjcpr
3/24/2011, 10:46 AM
facepalm facepalm groan groan groan. :eek: Just for the record for anyone that doesn't know, please remember that Joe Castiglione started at Oklahoma in 1998. Sherri started coaching at OU in '96. Also, for the record, she didn't have a winning season till her third year and an NCAA berth till her fourth... but hasn't missed it since :)

Joe C's notable successes at coaching hires IMHO include Martin Smith (track/CC), Mark Williams (men's gymnastics), Sunny Galloway (baseball), Santiago Restrepo (volleyball), and of course, Bob Stoops (whatever sport he coaches).

The biggest flop in Joe C's tenure was not Jeff Capel, IMHO. That dishonor would go to Gene Stephenson, who was OU's new baseball coach for about... say... three hours? Second to that would be Capel I guess, just because I can't think of anyone else that has really done craptacular at OU hired by Joe C.

Yes, I do remember. You might want to tell Dean and Kuppi.

badger
3/24/2011, 11:00 AM

I knew you did, I was just doing a general public service announcement in the name of getting more people educated and into womens basketball here :D

(Speaking of - Sweet 16 matchup against Notre Dame Saturday everyone! WATCH IT! POST ABOUT IT HERE! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

As long as we're on the topic of Joe C. hires, anyone care to dispute my assertions about Joe C's best and worst hires?

Gene's press conference was annoyingly painful to watch. The photos of him getting the OU jersey put on by Joe C. were like it was being forced on him and like he was being forced to take the job. Sooooo satisfying to beat his Shockers at the regional a few years later :)

KuppiKunta
3/24/2011, 11:10 AM

You caught me....I'm busted....I don't follow the women's program!!!! Ok, got that out of the way, now take my original quote, remove Joe C. and insert Oklahoma....the principle still applies.

badger
3/24/2011, 11:20 AM
Like when Oklahoma hired that HS coach in order to not drop the women's program?

Ok, did as requested, but I think there's a little misconception here that should be cleared up:

March 1990: OU drops womens basketball.
Eight days later: OU realizes what a baaaad mistake that was and reinstates the program.
SIX YEARS LATER: OU hires Sherri Coale.

Sherri Coale came six years after the program was dropped. Her hiring was not a reaction to the dropping of the program. There were in fact two coaches between the dropping of the program and Sherri's start at OU. If her predecessor hadn't retired in 1996, he might still be coaching. He had a winning record and won the WNIT in '94 and made the second round of the NCAA in '95.

Coach Plunkett's success at both the high school and the collegiate level helped lay the foundation that enables us to experience the brand of basketball this state currently enjoys.

Aren't I sneaky, inserting in womens bball talk into mens bball talk threads :D

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 11:36 AM
Terry Evans is a POS.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/24/2011, 11:56 AM
Terry Evans is a POS.

This needs some explaining...

oumartin
3/24/2011, 12:08 PM
Outland trophy is a tool. He don't like Galloway either. ;)

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 12:44 PM
This needs some explaining...

he was my HS basketball coach. He would throw tantrums and kick basketballs and just leave the gym at least once a week. He is a big baby.

He was also always trying to stir up sh*t between the black players and the white players.

The best example of that was when we were playing at El Reno and during the girls game the black guys wanted to go on the other side of the gym to hit on some El Reno girls. Terry saw the black guys on one side of the gym and us white kids on the other so he threw a fit about the white kids not wanting to be around the black kids and blah blah blah, called us rascists. He harped on that for weeks.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 12:44 PM
He hates Sunny cause Sunny had sex with his brother and not him. I wonder if he hates Evans for the same reason.

Oh, and Pat? Blow me. You know what the point was, you are just being obtuse. Oh, and Badger? Hugs - even though you took Pat's deal and ran with it.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 12:45 PM
he was my HS basketball coach. He would throw tantrums and kick basketballs and just leave the gym at least once a week. He is a big baby.

He was also always trying to stir up sh*t between the black players and the white players.

The best example of that was when we were playing at El Reno and during the girls game the black guys wanted to go on the other side of the gym to hit on some El Reno girls. Terry saw the black guys on one side of the gym and us white kids on the other so he threw a fit about the white kids not wanting to be around the black kids and blah blah blah, called us rascists. He harped on that for weeks.

Reckon he might have grown up a little since then? Just cause you haven't...:P

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 12:50 PM
Reckon he might have grown up a little since then? Just cause you haven't...:P

I sure hope he has.

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 12:54 PM
I see Sunny way too often socially to keep running my mouth about him.:P

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 01:25 PM
I see Sunny way too often socially to keep running my mouth about him.:P

I've run into him a couple times at Libby's in Goldsby getting the all-you-can-eat catfish. Always has his whole family with him.

Mjcpr
3/24/2011, 01:51 PM
Oh, and Pat? Blow me. You know what the point was, you are just being obtuse. Oh, and Badger? Hugs - even though you took Pat's deal and ran with it.

I can't go by what I think you mean, I have to go by what you say and what you said was agreeing with that which was incorrect and misinformed and I was just trying to educate you.

You're welcome.

Mjcpr
3/24/2011, 01:52 PM
Besides, I thought you played on their softball team or basketball team or pitched or caught or something and would know these things.

badger
3/24/2011, 02:19 PM
Oh, and Badger? Hugs - even though you took Pat's deal and ran with it.

I would use any excuse to talk about my beloved womens basketball team, just like I took the stupid Madison protests as an excuse in the South Oval to talk about my beloved birth state.

Speaking of my beloved birth state, Marquette is in the state of Wisconsin and is basically the rich boy school in the state (kind of like TU is here - private and expensive). The basketball team is the pride and joy of Marquette much like the football team is at OU. I don't think they would let Buzz leave without putting up a fight.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 03:45 PM
Besides, I thought you played on their softball team or basketball team or pitched or caught or something and would know these things.

The girls basketball team doesn't have a softball deam ya dumas.

I threw out the first pitch at one of the OU/TX softball games last year or maybe the year before. Zipped a dead strike. That's when Patty said "we need you in our bullpen, that was really good." One of the girls goes "holy ****, did you play fastpitch?" It was my 15-seconds of fame on an OU field of play...

SoonerNutt
3/24/2011, 04:59 PM
Yup.

What's to lose is that the Big 12 is getting stronger around us. Texas is leaving us behind. Doormats NU and CU are gone. Tech just hired a great coach. We could easily become a perennial conference doormat if we miss on this coaching hire.

We aren't taking a chance on Terry Evans at this point in time. If we do, it is a monumental mistake.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 05:21 PM
What's to lose is that the Big 12 is getting stronger around us. Texas is leaving us behind. Doormats NU and CU are gone. Tech just hired a great coach. We could easily become a perennial conference doormat if we miss on this coaching hire.

We aren't taking a chance on Terry Evans at this point in time. If we do, it is a monumental mistake.

Says you. You inside Joe C's head? Tech hired a drunk. "Monumental?" Please. Give him a couple years, nothing gets better, he goes back to UCO. It's not like we're talking football here. Sheez.

Besides, like I said, he comes in here and coaches like I've seen him coach? It's all a moot point. Who would bring more fans to a game? Oklahoma boy Terry Evans winning the Big-12 or Buzz Williams doing the same thing? We're funny around here. Let the local guy do good, we will come. Hell, even when we were pretty good under Calvin Simpson we couldn't pack the place unless we played * or the drunk in Stillwater.

We need something fresh, new, and exciting. Not another retread.

Blue
3/24/2011, 05:24 PM
We need somebody that can recruit. Period.

The way basketball is played these days, it's all about the jimmys and joes.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 05:32 PM
We need somebody that can recruit. Period.

The way basketball is played these days, it's all about the jimmys and joes.

You ain't durnk yet, cause that's pretty dang sharp of you Blue. It ain't anything new though. Remember the Fab 5? Who coached them? Who cares? About the only place you can think of the coach first is Geno in girls basketball at UConn, and the pollock at Duke (how the hell do you get ShuShevski out Krysczzocielakdkj?). Ask either of those coaches what it takes to stay on top. Players. Hell, ask Dean Smith. He'll say "Michael Jordan, et.al."

Yes, you have to recruit well, then find a way to make them care about their team as much as they care about their personal journey to "da league."

Blue
3/24/2011, 05:40 PM
You ain't durnk yet

Give me awhile...:D

badger
3/24/2011, 05:49 PM
What's to lose is that the Big 12 is getting stronger around us. Texas is leaving us behind. Doormats NU and CU are gone. Tech just hired a great coach.

Nutter man, did you just say NU and CU were doormats? Did you say Texas was leaving us behind? DID YOU SAY TECH HIRED A "GREAT" COACH?!?!?!

Ok... one at a time...

1. Nebraska and Colorado were both postseason teams this season. Colorado was frequently referred to as the most screwed of the teams left out of the NCAAs.

2. Texas might have spent some time in the 1-slot this season, but struggling in the first round and getting ousted in the second round of the tourney is hardly leaving OU "behind." He hasn't made it outta the first two rounds in the past three seasons, despite all these high poll rankings.

3- Gilly has a ton of baggage and was fired from his previous job because of said baggage. He was also dumb enough to work without a contract.

So anyways, I'm not ready to press the panic button or be resigned to being 10th in the new 10-team conference just yet, just because CU and NU are gone, Texas is overrated a lot and BCG is at Tech. :)

Soonerfan88
3/24/2011, 08:08 PM
Remember the Fab 5? Who coached them?

I know you really weren't looking for an answer here but....

His name is Steve Fisher and, unfortunately, his current team is losing to UCONN but still have time to pull out the win.

Soonerjeepman
3/24/2011, 11:17 PM
I know you really weren't looking for an answer here but....

His name is Steve Fisher and, unfortunately, his current team is losing to UCONN but still have time to pull out the win.

and he is like 800 yrs old....sorry I want someone with some energy and life...little fire in his belly..