PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Van Halen song?

GDC
3/18/2011, 04:52 PM
pe3yF7uSk9Y

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 05:02 PM
Whatever it is if it isn't DLR, it's not Van Halen.

yermom
3/18/2011, 05:05 PM
anything with Gary Sharone

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/18/2011, 05:14 PM
Runnin' With the Devil

yermom
3/18/2011, 05:30 PM
Runnin' With the Devil

WNJNCazmNnI

he sounds like a crazy person without the rest of the band :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/18/2011, 05:34 PM
Some funny shiite, there!

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2011, 05:40 PM
Whatever it is if it isn't DLR, it's not Van Halen.Amen.

reflector
3/18/2011, 05:48 PM
Runnin' with the Devil.

GDC
3/18/2011, 05:48 PM
Apparently Sammy no likee Eddie...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/exclusive-excerpt-surviving-eddie-20110304

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2011, 05:50 PM
Panama was a good'n.

BudSooner
3/18/2011, 06:01 PM
I liked their version of You really got me, great guitar work...Pretty Woman was ghey...DLR or not.

yermom
3/18/2011, 06:17 PM

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/exclusive-excerpt-surviving-eddie-20110304

that's effing crazy.

he's nucking futs but he was awesome back in the day. it's sad that him and DLR couldn't find a way to make it work again.

i liked Van Hagar, but it wasn't as raw and badass as Van Halen was

btk108
3/18/2011, 06:18 PM
Whatever it is if it isn't DLR, it's not Van Halen.

Exactly...no Van Hagar allowed

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 06:19 PM
Anybody that didn't vote Ice Cream Man is a non-entity.

StoopTroup
3/18/2011, 06:25 PM

hawaii 5-0
3/18/2011, 06:30 PM
My Sharona

5-0

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 06:32 PM
He said "Van Halen Song."

hawaii 5-0
3/18/2011, 06:33 PM
Did I make ya laugh?

5-0

hawaii 5-0
3/18/2011, 06:34 PM
I'll go with 'Talkin' 'Bout Love'.

5-0

rekamrettuB
3/18/2011, 06:49 PM
I can't believe you posted DDL. It's my favorite too. That opening guitar is all sorts of ALLSOME!!! It's kind of a blues version of a rock song.

sappstuf
3/18/2011, 07:35 PM

But I have a feeling that Sammy is telling the truth...

There is even a Toby Keith story!

Another time, Toby Keith came to see us in Oklahoma City, not far from his hometown. I decided to do his "I Love This Bar" during my acoustic segment and Toby would walk out midway through the song and sing the rest of it with me. Toby told me that while he was waiting backstage, Eddie cornered him and tried to keep him from going out: "Why would you want to go on with him?" Ed asked. "Why didn't you come out with us?" "You didn't invite me," Toby said. "I'm inviting you now," Eddie said. "Why are you wearing that cowboy hat?" "I'm a country guy," said Toby. "No, it's because you're bald," said Eddie.

Toby walked out onstage halfway through the song and the place exploded. Eddie went crazy the rest of the night. He destroyed his dressing room after the show. His son, Wolfie, was in my dressing room, scared and crying.

CrimsonKel
3/18/2011, 07:55 PM
Jump was pretty good.

Boarder
3/18/2011, 08:44 PM
But I have a feeling that Sammy is telling the truth...

There is even a Toby Keith story!
I booed at the top of my lungs that night when TK walked out. I was so pissed. It ruined the rest of the show for me.

And not to brownnose Dean, but Ice Cream Man is my favorite VH song.

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 08:45 PM
I booed at the top of my lungs that night when TK walked out. I was so pissed. It ruined the rest of the show for me.
Oh please. Stop with the hate. You and Toby dang near could be brothers.

Boarder
3/18/2011, 08:47 PM
I was like, "what the holy hell?!?! Can't I go anywhere without that guy goobing up the place?"

SanJoaquinSooner
3/18/2011, 08:48 PM
I don't like any of their songs, no matter who the singer is.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2011, 08:49 PM
http://mcguirehimself.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/gomer-pyle-surprise.jpg

picasso
3/18/2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/vanhalen/littleguitars.html

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 09:44 PM

Know how I know you're gay diego?

Jacie
3/18/2011, 10:08 PM
The guitar intro to "Really Got Me" is so good, I wish they wouldn't start singing. I feel the same way about the intro to "Money for Nothing."

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 10:18 PM
Like I said...

Dedicate one to the ladies...
Now summertime's here babe, need somethin' to keep you cool
Ah, now summertime's here babe, need somethin' to keep you cool
Better look out now though, Dave's got somethin' for you
Tell ya what it is
I'm your ice cream man, stop me when I'm passin' by
Oh my, my, I'm your ice cream man, stop me when I'm passin' by
See now all my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy
Hold on a second baby

I got bim bam banana pops, dixie cups
All flavors and pushups too

I'm your ice cream man baby, stop me when I'm passin' by
See now all my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy Hold on, one more

Well I'm usually passin' by just about eleven o'clock
Uh huh, I never stop
I'm usually passin' by just around eleven o'clock
And if ya' let me cool you one time, you'll be my regular stop

All right boys!

I got bim bam banana pops, dixie cups
All flavors and pushups too

See now all my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy, yes
They say all my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy Ah one time

(Guitar Solo)

They say all my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy

One time boys!
I'm your ice cream man
I'm your ice cream man
B-B-B-B-B-B-B-Baby!
Ah my my my
All my flavors are guaranteed......to satis-uh-fy
Ow!

sooner59
3/19/2011, 12:16 AM
Ice Cream Man is right up there, as is Hot For Teacher. My top 3 is probably rounded out with Eruption. As a guitar player, that **** is just awesome.

btk108
3/19/2011, 12:17 AM
Jamie's Cryin

SanJoaquinSooner
3/19/2011, 02:19 AM
Know how I know I'm gay?

http://www.jacobtyler.com/creative-blog/images/davidleeroth.jpg

yermom
3/19/2011, 02:57 AM
The guitar intro to "Really Got Me" is so good, I wish they wouldn't start singing. I feel the same way about the intro to "Money for Nothing."

that would be Eruption ;)

yermom
3/19/2011, 03:02 AM
Ice Cream Man is a cover. i'm not sure it counts.

i always liked Unchained on the radio where he's giving the suit from the record label crap on the recording and they kept the take anyway :D

somehow i totally forgot they finally made up again and toured again with DLR and no Michael Anthony

sooner59
3/19/2011, 03:08 AM
Yep, yermom is right. Its not an intro to "Really Got Me". Its actually a separate song which is entirely a guitar solo. Its pretty legendary.

I am reminded of a video I saw once. It was Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young from AC/DC, and Kirk Hammett from Metallica. Each would whale on a guitar riff and the others had to imitate it. This went around a few turns and each was able to simulate the other's riff. Then Hammett (the young kid in the group) let out one that was out of this world. Young and Van Halen bowed down to him. Its amazing what such talented people are capable of.

GKeeper316
3/19/2011, 04:05 AM
easy... also the greatest music video in the history of music videos.

g0XLKcMoXRE

Jacie
3/19/2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.jacobtyler.com/creative-blog/images/davidleeroth.jpg

My best friend met DLR at Aspen. My friend was parking his car and pulled behind an RV as the people inside were unloading for a day of skiing. He saw a hot-looking blonde, a child, a nanny and what he described as the best looking man he had ever seen (quite an admission from a straight guy). He recognized him instantly as his car was right behind him. As my friend was getting out of his car he accidently honked the horn causing DLR to jump (no pun intended). My friend, feeling very sheepish got out and apologized. He did get to talk for a few minutes with him as a result.

OUthunder
3/19/2011, 09:55 AM
I'll Wait. Love that tune.

Eruption is the **** as far as instrumentals go.

usmc-sooner
3/19/2011, 10:29 AM
Panama

fadada1
3/19/2011, 12:16 PM

yep.

nice, straight up song with no hidden sexual meaning.

GDC
5/1/2011, 06:17 PM
_R02lxiBIWA

GDC
5/1/2011, 06:24 PM
oKNUeFycBHM

delhalew
5/1/2011, 07:05 PM
I usually say Drop Dead Legs, but if you haven't listened to 1984 in a while, you may have forgotten about Girl Gone Bad. It had always been special to me.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DLetneNYo4kU&v=LetneNYo4kU&gl=US

delhalew
5/1/2011, 07:08 PM
_R02lxiBIWA

If there is a song with which I have more sweet assed young teen memories associated than that one, I can't think of it.

Soonerson1975
5/1/2011, 07:13 PM
Ain't Talkin Bout Love

Taxman71
5/2/2011, 10:59 AM
Unchained is my favorite. Also like the "theme song" quality of And the Cradle Will Rock despite the limited solo by EVH.

I've always liked Ice Cream Man, but the acoustic lead-in narrated by DLR on their last tour made it even better....talked about the early days of smoking ganja, listening to Pink Floyd, girls and pool parties. I have a couple of those tours on mp3 and that is by far the best track from the setlist.

The Maestro
5/2/2011, 11:10 AM
Wow...no Hagar fans with Van Halen? Except me, of course. 1984 was my first real Van Halen stuff as a young kid and loved it. When DLR left he was a side show. Good Lord, look at him AFTER Van Halen...obviously, Eddie, Alex and Michael made DLR better. MUCH better. I appreciated that Sammy came in KNOWING he was not the star or the show. That humility was uncommon for a lead singer. He KNEW the talent was in the instruments.

Having said that, OU812 was a great album to me. Loved Mine All Mine, Source of Infection, When It's Love, A.F.U. and all the rest...but Black And Blue was my favorite. Unapologetically.

delhalew
5/2/2011, 11:44 AM
Wow...no Hagar fans with Van Halen? Except me, of course. 1984 was my first real Van Halen stuff as a young kid and loved it. When DLR left he was a side show. Good Lord, look at him AFTER Van Halen...obviously, Eddie, Alex and Michael made DLR better. MUCH better. I appreciated that Sammy came in KNOWING he was not the star or the show. That humility was uncommon for a lead singer. He KNEW the talent was in the instruments.

Having said that, OU812 was a great album to me. Loved Mine All Mine, Source of Infection, When It's Love, A.F.U. and all the rest...but Black And Blue was my favorite. Unapologetically.

I don't know about OU812, but 5150 was epic.

Partial Qualifier
5/2/2011, 11:59 AM
I'd love to see that video of EVH, Angus Young & Kirk Hammett. As talented as EVH is, almost anyone would be mismatched against Hammett.

I used to argue Sammy Hagar fagged up Van Halen, but upon further review, that 1984 album was halfway there. There were a few good songs on that album (mentioned already in this thread) but the overall feel was like, hmm, this is nice - but what happened to Van Halen?? Almost but not quite as drastic as Metallica's transformation from supreme metal badasses into whatever-the-**** happened there after And Justice For All.

Imma go with Ain't Talkin Bout Love

Taxman71
5/2/2011, 12:19 PM
1984 evidenced the opposing directions of VH. Eddie wanted synthesizers while DLR didn't. House of Pain was a song from their early days that has some great bootleg versions out there.

GDC
5/2/2011, 08:34 PM
OAm7-Ao9UQc

Caboose
5/2/2011, 08:46 PM
98% of their stuff is awful...I have always liked "Finish What You Started" though.

landrun
5/3/2011, 10:09 PM
Van Hagar > Van Halen

The guitar in pound cake is great.
I even liked Dreams, Love comes walking in and How do you know when it's love.

And that's saying something because growing up, music with a keyboard in it was for losers as far as I was concerned. :D

Its hard to pick an all time favorite Van Halen song though.

sooneron
5/3/2011, 10:37 PM
Ain't Talkin Bout Love

I think, this ^.

Ice Cream is good, as is Jamie's Cryin'.

delhalew
5/3/2011, 10:39 PM
I'd imagine there is an age cut off for who can dig the Van Hagar. I'm 35 and I'm torn, but 5150 is about as far as I can go.

Taxman71
5/4/2011, 08:27 AM
Van Hager was like chocolate beer. I like chocolate and I love beer, but together, just so-so.

delhalew
5/4/2011, 08:34 AM
Van Hager was like chocolate beer. I like chocolate and I love beer, but together, just so-so.

Not a bad analogy.

KuppiKunta
5/4/2011, 10:35 AM
Hard to have a top ONE, so I'll give 3...in no particular order:

Ice Cream Man
Everybody Wants Some
Feel Your Love Tonight

GDC
5/4/2011, 10:36 AM

Yes, but it was still Eddie Van-****ing Halen playing guitar, regardless of who was singing.

For that matter Van Halen III is unfairly maligned in my opinion. If you give it a re-listen Eddie shreds like a mofo on most of it.

delhalew
5/4/2011, 11:08 AM
Yes, but it was still Eddie Van-****ing Halen playing guitar, regardless of who was singing.

For that matter Van Halen III is unfairly maligned in my opinion. If you give it a re-listen Eddie shreds like a mofo on most of it.

I liked women and children first.

OUthunder
5/4/2011, 08:21 PM
5150 is my all time favorite. The lyrics some up my life to a tee.

thecynic
5/4/2011, 10:58 PM
I loved their old stuff. women and children first is probably my favorite, followed closely by II. But I felt like they were better with Hagar. For unlawful Carnal Knowledge is awesome. OU812 is great as well.

soonerbrat
5/5/2011, 07:09 AM

that's actually what I was going to say, then I read your post and I didn't want it to seem like I was just saying it just because you said that....

so I'll say my 2nd favorite is Panama

Taxman71
5/5/2011, 08:14 AM
If you like VH III b/c of Eddie's guitar, you should give a good listen to the DLR Band record from the same year. Some call it the lost VH record. I would like to have heard it with VH bros and Michael Anthony playing along DLR.

The best version of Ice Cream Man:

yCHrhRS2hTU