PDA

View Full Version : Tressel wants to sit out 5 games. When 2 is not enough

sendbaht
3/17/2011, 08:49 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-ohiost-tattooinvestigation

Interesting....

jumperstop
3/17/2011, 09:01 PM
He's trying to avoid a harsher punishment from the NCAA.

Quik Sand
3/17/2011, 09:03 PM
shut the **** up donny

fadada1
3/17/2011, 09:09 PM
"Tressel wants to sit out 5 games, too"

i beg to differ the title of this article. there is NO WAY he wants to sit ANY games. i'm sure behind closed to doors, to his wife and AD, tressel is begging for only a 5 game suspension. the NCAA could really be dikks and clobber him for the whole year.

colleyvillesooner
3/17/2011, 09:12 PM
He's trying to avoid a harsher punishment from the NCAA.

ain't gonna work. He's gonna get hammered. Maybe not soon, but it will happen

oudavid1
3/17/2011, 09:14 PM
Here is how i feel about Tressel (right now)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/3175221922_1efa0435b5.jpg

boomerinhou
3/17/2011, 10:13 PM
This just in...Tressel can coach the games, but his sweater vest is banned for the season.

:eek:

sooner59
3/17/2011, 10:29 PM
This just in...Tressel can coach the games, but his sweater vest is banned for the season.

:eek:

tOSU 0-12 in 2011 if this happens. :gary:

gaylordfan1
3/17/2011, 10:40 PM
tOSU 0-12 in 2011 if this happens. :gary:

^ this.

Quik Sand
3/17/2011, 11:00 PM
:gary:+1

ouwasp
3/17/2011, 11:56 PM
Hmmm...been thinking... so what should the NCAA penalty be? No bowl? That would be good. No TV? Even better, but the $ speaks too loudly. Can the NCAA rule tOSU ineligible to contend for the BCS championship? I mean, sure, the bowl ban would have the same effect, but could the NCAA word it that way?

Yeah, holier-than-thou Tressel is just trying to lessen the blow.

sooner59
3/18/2011, 12:03 AM
Worst thing that will happen will be Tressel suspended for the season. Doubt it happens, but that's what should happen. Suspended....with NO PAY. That will send a message that will hit home across the country. You knowingly break the rules, then lie to the NCAA about it, your *** is grass.

EatLeadCommie
3/18/2011, 02:28 AM
does the NCAA actually have the power to suspend a coach for infractions? Maybe I'm a bit dumb, and I'm certainly a bit drunk after St. Paddy's Day, but I don't recall Kelvin getting that penalty.

I thought the NCAA could only suspend players. Is he just wanting to suspend himself in hopes of a lesser overall penalty to the program by the NCAA?

sooner59
3/18/2011, 02:47 AM
That is a good question. I would like somebody that knows more about this to chime in on the NCAA's authority on coaches. If they can't touch the coaches, then the system is broken. However, I can see that if they can't touch Tressel, and tOSU is going to have huge sanctions, that Tressel would jump on the grenade.

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 03:03 AM
It does cover athletics personnel and the university. I am sure it will follow under the ethical conduct section and may even be under the lack of institutional control. It is explicitly stated in their bylaws. At the least it was unethical.

yermom
3/18/2011, 03:06 AM
didn't Kelvin get banned from coaching for a while?

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 03:32 AM
didn't Kelvin get banned from coaching for a while?

Yeah, after Indiana he has to stay away from college basketball for 5 years, I believe.

SOFSooner
3/18/2011, 05:18 AM
Tressel wants the 5 game suspension so he does not get blamed for starting 0-5 in 2011, plus he is mad that he didn't get the same deal on discounts on tats.

batonrougesooner
3/18/2011, 05:55 AM
What if he's suspended for the entire year and the team goes undefeated?

Kinda makes his multi-million dollar salary look unnecessary huh?

Partial Qualifier
3/18/2011, 06:30 AM
Tressel wants the 5 game suspension so he does not get blamed for starting 0-5 in 2011

That's a great point.

Listening to Tressel on this is just sad. My opinion of this guy has gone from really high to really low. What a greaseball.

HolaKyle
3/18/2011, 06:32 AM
What if he's suspended for the entire year and the team goes undefeated?

Kinda makes his multi-million dollar salary look unnecessary huh?

I was thinking the exact same thing...

AlbqSooner
3/18/2011, 07:11 AM
“Throughout this entire situation, my players and I have committed ourselves to facing our mistakes and growing from them; we can only successfully do this together,”

Throughout this situation, AFTER it came out that he had hidden all this information for 9 months plus.

Soonerfan88
3/18/2011, 08:19 AM
That's a great point.

Listening to Tressel on this is just sad. My opinion of this guy has gone from really high to really low. What a greaseball.

My opinion was already greaseball just because of his actions at Youngstown State. He became gutter slime after the way he handled the Clarett deal - not saying the kid didn't have his own issues but Tressel used him for a title then acted like he'd barely known the kid after (allegedly) facilitating most of the donor deals as he was recruiting him in Youngstown.

5 games isn't enough. He needs slapped with a permanent ban. Let him go coach in the UFL.

JLEW1818
3/18/2011, 08:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6230308

why not just miss the entire year? :D

picasso
3/18/2011, 08:25 AM
He should be forced to wear an entire sweater.

OULenexaman
3/18/2011, 08:43 AM
and make it a Cardigan...with extra buttons...

LakeRat
3/18/2011, 09:09 AM
So Dez Bryant lies about not doing anything wrong and is suspended for the remainder of a season.

Tressel, a coach and inforcer of rules, lies and covers up penalties and he gets 5 games?

I would think that Tressel's infractions would be worse than the ones commited by Dez and should be looked at in that light.

JLEW1818
3/18/2011, 09:15 AM
life aint fair

rekamrettuB
3/18/2011, 09:20 AM
So Dez Bryant lies about not doing anything wrong and is suspended for the remainder of a season.

Tressel, a coach and inforcer of rules, lies and covers up penalties and he gets 5 games?

I would think that Tressel's infractions would be worse than the ones commited by Dez and should be looked at in that light.

The NCAA hasn't ruled yet. It could very well be the Dez penalty or worse.

Also, to an above poster asking if NCAA can word "No BCS Champ" or whatever...when the NCAA hammered USC they were not allowed to be ranked in the coaches poll. That in and of itself would keep them out of BCS champ game scenario.

Partial Qualifier
3/18/2011, 09:24 AM
The *last* five games would be more interesting.

pphilfran
3/18/2011, 09:31 AM
He will still be coaching during the week...not being on the sidelines is far less important than his day to day responsibilities...

JLEW1818
3/18/2011, 09:34 AM

or make him miss "every other game" :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/18/2011, 10:07 AM
does the NCAA actually have the power to suspend a coach for infractions? Maybe I'm a bit dumb, and I'm certainly a bit drunk after St. Paddy's Day, but I don't recall Kelvin getting that penalty.

I thought the NCAA could only suspend players. Is he just wanting to suspend himself in hopes of a lesser overall penalty to the program by the NCAA?

Didn't Bruce Pearl & Jim Calhoun get suspended for a few games as well?

SoonerinSouthlake
3/18/2011, 10:59 AM
Actually, I'll take it at face value.... I think he is showing contrition by doing this.
The problem is that its like a dude bursting in to tears and being really sorry about having an affair.....after he's been caught

Leroy Lizard
3/18/2011, 11:05 AM
He will still be coaching during the week...not being on the sidelines is far less important than his day to day responsibilities...

Basically his punishment is that he gets to sleep in while his assistants do all the work. Coach B'rer Rabbit is more like it.

Crimson Kid
3/18/2011, 11:33 AM
He wants to sit out five games because his best players are. He knows he'll lose all 5 of those games without them. So if he sits out with them. They can't blame him for the loses coming their way.

Leroy Lizard
3/18/2011, 12:47 PM
He wants to sit out five games because his best players are. He knows he'll lose all 5 of those games without them. So if he sits out with them. They can't blame him for the loses coming their way.

Or it could be that he wants to sit out those games because he knows they'll lose, so he can show everyone how valuable he is.

yermom
3/18/2011, 12:49 PM

that's what i was thinking :D

this really messes with the players that decided to come back to be able to play in the bowl game...

it's too late to declare now, right?

usaosooner
3/18/2011, 12:58 PM
Buckeye fans should just go ahead and get ready for the ncaa. this is the biggest hc scandal in a long time

virginiasooner
3/18/2011, 01:11 PM
I'd like to know why Tressel still has a job and those players are still on the team. If this program was just so-so, all actors in this melodrama would be long gone (along with the athletic director).

Flagstaffsooner
3/18/2011, 02:07 PM
Jim and Pete reversal, lol.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04Qid7o1wY3Xn/340x.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
3/18/2011, 02:12 PM
Or it could be that he wants to sit out those games because he knows they'll lose, so he can show everyone how valuable he is.
You think he will not be coaching those games? Wherever he is he will have a live tv feed and be patched in in the sideline/pressbox headphones.:pop:

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 02:16 PM
Bruce Pearl got 8 games in NCAA. He is also going to get fired. OSU and their leadership is also be slightly greasy in this situation if true. It sends a message, as long as you win, we support you.

Leroy Lizard
3/18/2011, 08:37 PM
You think he will not be coaching those games? Wherever he is he will have a live tv feed and be patched in in the sideline/pressbox headphones.:pop:

Why? These guys know very well that a head coach isn't really that crucial to game-day success. He'll take the day off and let the coaches oversee the pulverization of some minor team.

rekamrettuB
3/18/2011, 08:43 PM
Bruce Pearl got 8 games in NCAA. He is also going to get fired. OSU and their leadership is also be slightly greasy in this situation if true. It sends a message, as long as you win, we support you.

Not just 8 games but 8 conference games. They (NCAA) started his suspension during games that mattered. Will the NCAA do the same to Tress?

Collier11
3/18/2011, 09:44 PM
Shoulda been fired, needs to be suspended for the year atleast. Id Dez gets the rest of the year then Tressel def deserves a full season

Jacie
3/18/2011, 10:11 PM

Tressel gets better Nielsen ratings than Dez . . .

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2011, 10:20 PM

Well, the NCAA did ban Kelvin Sampson from coaching in the NCAA ranks for 5 years....so, I think they can actually ban or suspend a coach.

After all, the coaches are suppose to know and follow the rules just like the players.

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2011, 10:31 PM

Actually, if he is suspended, he is suppose to have absolutely no contact with the team....and if that is not the way it is, then what good does it do to suspend someone?

Being suspended means you do not go to work....not just the games.

So, if they do it the way it should be done, he should not have any contact with the team. He should consult any of his coaching staff with anything. And he should not be breaking down the film.

Collier11
3/18/2011, 10:32 PM
his suspension is for only gamedays as it stands

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2011, 10:37 PM
his suspension is for only gamedays as it stands

If the NCAA holds that true, then it is a travesty to the NCAA and what it is suppose to stand for (even though I doubt they really stand for anything anymore).

I mean really...What good is a suspension when you get to go to work everyday but one? :confused:

The OSU administration is making themselves look really stupid in this.

If I was heading the NCAA Infractions committee, I would throw in lack of institutional control just because of the fact that they have had over 370 minor violations since 2000.

Collier11
3/19/2011, 01:14 AM
well I personally think the NCAA will hammer him but we will see

MyT Oklahoma
3/19/2011, 09:57 AM
My only interest here is how does this affect OU? It doesn't.

So NCAA.. hammer away. :cool:

OU_Sooners75
3/19/2011, 11:51 AM
My only interest here is how does this affect OU? It doesn't.

So NCAA.. hammer away. :cool:

In a very vague way, it does affect OU.

If the NCAA does very little about it, then OSU got away with some minor, yet major, special benefits.

Why do I say that?

Because Tressel knew about the rules violations and did nothing about it. He knew he had a chance to make a run at the BCS Title and he looked the other way.

To me, that is worse than any kid taking money from a booster. When a coach, a person that is suppose to lead by example, just looks the other way, then that is just terrible.

Had there been no federal investigation, the NCAA would never have heard about Tattoo-Gate. And Tressel would not have his five best players suspended for the first five games of next season.

That gives a very big advantage to OSU's football team, and Tressel did nothing!

pphilfran
3/19/2011, 01:32 PM
Actually, if he is suspended, he is suppose to have absolutely no contact with the team....and if that is not the way it is, then what good does it do to suspend someone?

Being suspended means you do not go to work....not just the games.

So, if they do it the way it should be done, he should not have any contact with the team. He should consult any of his coaching staff with anything. And he should not be breaking down the film.

The NCAA has not passed down any ruling...the 2/5 game deal is what the school self imposed...and he will do everything in his job classification other than sit on the bench during the game....