PDA

View Full Version : Wonderlic scores out for the 2011 Combine QB's

SoCal
3/17/2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-source-Colin-Kaepernick-scored-a-37-on-Wonderlic.html

McElroy 43
Gabbert 42
Kaepernick 37
Ponder 35
Stanzi 30
Dalton 29
Mallett 26
Newton 21
Locker 20

Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick scored a 37 on the Wonderlic exam, according to an NFL source with access to the scores.

Kaepernick scored a 38 last year.

He took the test at both the Senior Bowl and NFL scouting combine.

That would rank him third among the quarterback class behind Alabama's Greg McElroy (43) and Missouri's Blaine Gabbert (42), according to scores reported by Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder scored a 35 followed by Iowa's Ricky Stanzi (30), Texas Christian's Andy Dalton (29), Arkansas' Ryan Mallett (26), Auburn's Cam Newton (21) and Washington's Jake Locker (20).

sooner59
3/17/2011, 08:13 PM
Locker scored lower than Cam? Ouch.

sooner59
3/17/2011, 08:14 PM
I don't give a **** what he says, I bet he kicks himself every day for not entering the draft last year.

fadada1
3/17/2011, 08:29 PM
insert obligatory vince young reference.........

OhU1
3/17/2011, 08:39 PM

UT = Harvard of the SW. Vince Young = 6.
OU "3rd tier" Teddy Lehman = 40+

fadada1
3/17/2011, 09:04 PM
UT = Harvard of the SW. Vince Young = 6.
OU "3rd tier" Teddy Lehman = 40+

heh.

i still shake my head. my dog could get a 6.... and he can't read and has no thumbs.

oudavid1
3/17/2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-source-Colin-Kaepernick-scored-a-37-on-Wonderlic.html

McElroy 43
Gabbert 42
Kaepernick 37
Ponder 35
Stanzi 30
Dalton 29
Mallett 26
Newton 21
Locker 20

Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick scored a 37 on the Wonderlic exam, according to an NFL source with access to the scores.

Kaepernick scored a 38 last year.

He took the test at both the Senior Bowl and NFL scouting combine.

That would rank him third among the quarterback class behind Alabama's Greg McElroy (43) and Missouri's Blaine Gabbert (42), according to scores reported by Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder scored a 35 followed by Iowa's Ricky Stanzi (30), Texas Christian's Andy Dalton (29), Arkansas' Ryan Mallett (26), Auburn's Cam Newton (21) and Washington's Jake Locker (20).

I scored higher than them :D

Ok its cooler when i can say Tebow and Clausen.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 11:56 PM

I think they should rename the test the Vince Young Aptitude Test, with scores reported as being the number of points above Vince Young's score.

EatLeadCommie
3/18/2011, 02:01 AM
I thought McElroy scored higher than that...

I would've thought Dalton would score higher. He's a very savvy QB.

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 02:16 AM
43 is pretty darn high.

sooner59
3/18/2011, 02:52 AM
There was a story about McElroy getting a 48 earlier. Is this like the 40 yard dash? The official score comes later?

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 02:55 AM
There was a story about McElroy getting a 48 earlier. Is this like the 40 yard dash? The official score comes later?

Yes...And wind does factor in.

AlbqSooner
3/18/2011, 06:57 AM
"The wind was kind of tricky":texan:

cleller
3/18/2011, 07:41 AM
Ah, in regard to Vince Young, I saw this in the Austin news:

Vince Young will be taking the Wonderlic test again to put to rest accusations that he scored the lowest score ever recorded on the NFL
recruit's aptitude test. Young offered this explanation for his poor showing:
"When we were going in to take the test someone said it was called the Wonderlic test. I said "that sound kind of dirty". Then they told me
Wonderlic was German and meant something about smartness. When I got in there, the test looked all funny, but I thought it was in German,
so I went ahead. Right at the end I realized I had the test upside down the whole time, but by then it was too late."

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 07:57 AM
Heh.

No1Better
3/18/2011, 08:00 AM
I took this test, and anything lower than a 40, you didn't learn anything in college or much in high school for that matter. It's a logic exam and a simple one at that...

JLEW1818
3/18/2011, 08:27 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/greg-mcelroys-wonderlic-wasnt-quite-as-wonderful-as-reported/

Looks like he only got a 43

they told him at first it was a 48.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/18/2011, 08:33 AM
I scored higher than them :D

Better enter the draft then. :)

sooner518
3/18/2011, 08:34 AM
I took this test, and anything lower than a 40, you didn't learn anything in college or much in high school for that matter. It's a logic exam and a simple one at that...

the main obstacle is they dont give you much time to actually do it in. i think its 50 questions in 12 minutes. i wanna take one online. im gonna try and find one

oudavid1
3/18/2011, 11:00 AM
Better enter the draft then. :)

I can out-hold anyone. Anyone.

No Romo.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/18/2011, 11:01 AM
There is different versions of the test...Yeah, you might make a high score on the one you take, but that isn't necessarily the test the NFL uses

OU Engineer
3/18/2011, 02:35 PM
just heard a rumor that kendall hunter also got a single digit score.

David can your source confirm this?

SoonerPr8r
3/18/2011, 02:38 PM

Don't know about David, but mine can. He got a 9....http://www.landthieves.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6110&p=100395#p100395

OU Engineer
3/18/2011, 02:52 PM
Don't know about David, but mine can. He got a 9....http://www.landthieves.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6110&p=100395#p100395

Just confrimed this for myself as well.

Wonderlic says a score of 10 means you're literate. Does this mean Hunter can't read?

Mad Dog Madsen
3/18/2011, 03:52 PM
I don't really pay much attention to the wonderlic scores. FWIW Adrian Peterson only scored a 16 on his...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/18/2011, 04:00 PM
So did Dan Marino

Scott D
3/18/2011, 04:08 PM

Wonderlic says a score of 10 means you're literate. Does this mean Hunter can't read?

as we all know. Reading isn't required in Stillwater.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/18/2011, 04:09 PM
So did Dan Marino

No wonder he never won a Super Bowl. Damn you Wonderlic Test!!! :rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
3/18/2011, 04:42 PM
hohoho, romo the holder cost the cowgirls a very important game. they shoulda had lil david !!!

meoveryouxinfinity
3/18/2011, 06:04 PM
I don't really pay much attention to the wonderlic scores. FWIW Adrian Peterson only scored a 16 on his...

A 16 says you don't give a damn. You read the short questions, don't read the long ones, and stop trying by the end.

A score under 10 says you're ****ing retarded.

oudavid1
3/18/2011, 06:09 PM

My source isnt really usable until August.

nice!

Hey, they have tried it before

There is different versions of the test...Yeah, you might make a high score on the one you take, but that isn't necessarily the test the NFL uses

buzzkill! It was real! [/little kid]

tennsooner
3/18/2011, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=OU Engineer;3175764]just heard a rumor that kendall hunter also got a single digit score.

QUOTE]

Anyone dumb enough to go to OSU is considered a genius with any score over 8.

usaosooner
3/18/2011, 08:15 PM
As it gort brought up on Land Thieves. KH carried a 4.0 at OSU... that dog don't hunt

Leroy Lizard
3/18/2011, 08:35 PM
A 16 says you don't give a damn. You read the short questions, don't read the long ones, and stop trying by the end.

No, a 16 says you're probably not too bright, like 90% of the other pro prospects. A single-digit score means you had no business even attempting college-level work.

sappstuf
3/18/2011, 11:05 PM

I'll bust it out again...

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8664/vinceyoungwonderlic8etoe5.jpg

Leroy Lizard
3/18/2011, 11:59 PM
I never get tired of seeing that.

sozo
3/19/2011, 10:55 PM
the main obstacle is they dont give you much time to actually do it in. i think its 50 questions in 12 minutes. i wanna take one online. im gonna try and find one

http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlica.php

101sooner
3/20/2011, 02:27 AM
Heh. I've been drinking....for 30 years and I just got a 37.

I honestly can't see how anyone that has made it past the 5th grade...nevermind.

SoCal
3/20/2011, 08:06 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/17/low-wonderlic-scores-ding-elite-nfl-prospects

Two of the NFL's brightest future stars, LSU CB Patrick Peterson and Georgia WR A.J. Green, registered among the five lowest Wonderlic scores of the 330 participants at this year's Combine.

Peterson was one of four prospects who recorded a dreaded single-digit score, which NFL teams often equate with getting their name right, tying with South Carolina's Chris Culliver for the lowest mark among all defensive backs as both correctly answered only nine questions on the 12-minute, 50-question test.

Green registered the lowest score of all receivers, answering 10 questions correctly.

What does it mean? The Wonderlic test is just a small piece of the evaluation process, designed to gauge the intelligence of prospects. What NFL teams value much more highly is football intelligence — how quickly a player can instinctively read, react and make plays on the field.

"Peterson plays like a low-test guy," one NFL decision maker told PFW on the condition he remain anonymous, "but (if) he's in 'cat' (man-to-man) coverage in the NFL, it's not as big of an issue as it will be for offensive guys."

"He's a press corner," another longtime evaluator said. "His strong suit is that he can run and press. He won't play for the Patriots, where he's disguising coverage after coverage, but I still think he can be a No. 1 shutdown corner."

A scout with deep knowledge of the kid said, "The more I'm around him, the more I love him even more. I love the kid, and I love the talent. But I don't like the way he plays with his back to the ball. He has an instinct issue, and I think it's tied to his mental (ability). He can only handle so much. He's not a quick processor. It's a scary year to be drafting in the top 10 because they all have some issue."

The increasing complexity of NFL offenses creates more pressure for a receiver like Green, but teams are still split about how much of a concern his score is.

"He will get it," one evaluator said. "You're going to have to take it slow with him and let him start at one position and let him learn on the run. He's not going to be able to handle learning all three positions. If you ask him to be an X, Y and Z, you're setting him up for failure."

"A.J. won't reach his full potential," another evaluator said. "It's hard for dumb receivers. I don't know that Julio Jones (who scored a 15, ranking in the bottom 12 among wideouts) will be much better."

A third evaluator said, "You can't cover that guy. He's so difficult to defend. Will it take him some time? It could. That's on the coaches. It's their job not to give him too much. If you overload him, you could have some problems initially, but he's a great kid. He'll work at it. And he'll get it."

Florida OT Carl Johnson produced the worst score among this draft class, registering a 6, and Oklahoma State RB Kendall Hunter was the only other athlete to record a single digit, scoring a 9.

The offensive line and quarterback groups, both expected to score highly given the premium placed on reading defenses and recognizing protection in the NFL, heavily represented the top 10 scores. Alabama QB Greg McElroy registered the top score, correctly answering 43 of the 49 questions he attempted. He was followed by Boston College OT Anthony Castonzo (41), Baylor OG Danny Watkins (40), Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (38), Idaho QB Nathan Enderle (38), Central Michigan ILB Nick Bellore (36), Portland State TE Julius Thomas (35), Florida State QB Christian Ponder (35), Michigan OG Steve Schilling (35) and Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara (35).

Although the tests are designed to measure intelligence, many registered NFL player advisers help their clients prepare for the exam, and as a result, the test scores often may be inflated. The Wonderlic company says no tester should improve by more than a handful of points, and any improvement much greater than that should be dismissed.

Castonzo scored a 35 the first time he took the exam last spring, six points lower than he did at the recent Combine; McElroy scored a 32, jumping 11 points, and Enderle a 40, falling two. On the other hand, Watkins scored a 15 the first time he took the exam last spring, so his 25-point improvement will be discarded by NFL teams, which have expressed some concern about his ability to handle playing multiple positions despite having the physical skill set to play anywhere on the line. Bellore scored a 21 the first time he took the test, showing a 15-point improvement. Amukamara, who registered the top score for a cornerback, improved by 21 points from the 14 he recorded last fall, and teams that have interviewed him have said the 14 score is a closer indicator of his intelligence.

For more updates on who fared the best and worst at each position, follow PFW on Twitter.