PDA

View Full Version : If you can't beat them... Commit Fraud.

sappstuf
3/17/2011, 11:16 AM
Two Charged in Tea Party Election Fraud

Two former leaders of the Oakland County Democratic Party are facing a total of nine felonies for allegedly forging election paperwork to get fake Tea Party candidates on November's ballot.

"It is not a partisan statement, and we need to make that very clear," said Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper.

Former Oakland County Democratic Chair Mike McGuinness and former Democratic Operations Director Jason Bauer face up to 14 years in prison if convicted.

"Some of the people didn't even know they were on the ballot till they began receiving delinquency notices of filings that were required as a candidate," said Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard.

The sheriff says 23 statewide races had questionable Tea Party candidates on the ballot and the investigation may go beyond Oakland County.

"It was learned that a scheme was developed by a party leader in Lansing to place on the ballot people pretending to be Tea Party activists and that this was going to be a statewide effort," Bouchard said.

John Tramontana, a spokesperson for the state Democratic Party, told FOX 2 that this was not a state party issue and it's not our place to comment.

"What we have here is illegal. It's forgery. It's fraud. It's perjury. It's those things. Then you cross a different line," said Bouchard.

It's not illegal to be a non-serious candidate. That's not what's being alleged here. What is being alleged is that the people that were on the ballot were phony candidates and that they got there by fraudulent means. That's the crime.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/two-charged-in-tea-party-election-fraud-20110316-mr#

yermom
3/17/2011, 11:21 AM
i'm not quite understanding what was going on here. what were they trying to do?

soonerhubs
3/17/2011, 11:26 AM
I'm guessing it was an attempt to diffuse the tea party vote.

sappstuf
3/17/2011, 11:28 AM
They were signing up people to be candidates that had no idea that they were candidates. They were signing forms for people without the authority to.

And in the end they were trying to dilute the vote on the Repub side by throwing up different candidates.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 11:30 AM
I'm betting it was more like a stunt gone wrong that they'll learn a real life Civics Lesson from.

yermom
3/17/2011, 11:32 AM
"It was learned that a scheme was developed by a party leader in Lansing to place on the ballot people pretending to be Tea Party activists and that this was going to be a statewide effort," Bouchard said.

i guess it is the "pretending to be" part that was throwing me off

TheHumanAlphabet
3/17/2011, 12:57 PM
i'm not quite understanding what was going on here. what were they trying to do?

Swamp the number of tea party candidates to split the vote and dumbs win the elections...

KABOOKIE
3/17/2011, 01:10 PM
The Nazis used to do this kind of stuff.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 01:27 PM
i guess it is the "pretending to be" part that was throwing me off

Same here. I suppose some of the candidates volunteered to play a role.

Canyonero
3/17/2011, 01:27 PM
The ole Joseph Russo play. Joe Kennedy is smiling somewhere, probably in hell.

soonerscuba
3/17/2011, 01:32 PM
Nazis, Kennedy, election fraud, if someone mentions Alinsky with the free space I could win a new placard with Ben Franklin on it.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 01:36 PM
Now it's StoopTroup's turn to argue that doing such things is perfectly acceptable.

KABOOKIE
3/17/2011, 01:46 PM
You know who else commits political fraud? Unions.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 01:50 PM
Now it's StoopTroup's turn to argue that doing such things is perfectly acceptable.

Funny you say that....I just saw on the news that the guy from NPR who was supposedly caught on tape was found to be the victim of an extremely over-edited video.

I don't just jump on the Nancy Grace Bitch Execution Court like you do.

Have you ****ed off yet?

KABOOKIE
3/17/2011, 01:51 PM
What? No way. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!! :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 01:52 PM
You know who else commits political fraud? Unions.

and....

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/richard-nixon-picture.jpg

soonercruiser
3/17/2011, 01:56 PM
I'm betting it was more like a stunt gone wrong that they'll learn a real life Civics Lesson from.

Give me a break!

Two Charged in Tea Party Election Fraud
Two former leaders of the Oakland County Democratic Party are facing a total of nine felonies for allegedly forging election paperwork to get fake Tea Party candidates on November's ballot.

A "stunt" would be by two teenagers not knowing the impact!
These guys are your typical LW ALINSKYIAN thugs.
"Book 'em Daniel"!
:rolleyes:

KABOOKIE
3/17/2011, 01:58 PM
40 year smack! HAHAHAHA.

yermom
3/17/2011, 02:00 PM
Nazis, Kennedy, election fraud, if someone mentions Alinsky with the free space I could win a new placard with Ben Franklin on it.

That didn't take long.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 02:02 PM
Give me a break!

A "stunt" would be by two teenagers not knowing the impact!
These guys are your typical LW ALINSKYIAN thugs.
"Book 'em Daniel"!

Ummmm....do you have a bio on them or are you gonna do the Nancy Grace Bitch Execution Trial too?

You could be right...I just don't think it's that big a deal. I'm not really sure if it accomplished anything. They got caught and if they are convicted...what are the penalties? Death? Money? Community Service? Not being able to Vote again? Flogged and threatened with drawing and quartering if they do it again?

Seriously...you act like the biggest gheyest ultra liberal when you find something on Democrats. It's pretty funny to watch your chicken little outrage.

sappstuf
3/17/2011, 02:03 PM
Funny you say that....I just saw on the news that the guy from NPR who was supposedly caught on tape was found to be the victim of an extremely over-edited video.

I don't just jump on the Nancy Grace Bitch Execution Court like you do.

Have you ****ed off yet?

You do realize the full video has been available almost since the very beginning March 8th to be exact. That is the date he resigned from his new post and the day before the CEO resigned.

If you are watching the "news" and they are making a more than a week old video sound like breaking news, you probably need to look somewhere else.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 02:12 PM
You do realize the full video has been available almost since the very beginning March 8th to be exact. That is the date he resigned from his new post and the day before the CEO resigned.

If you are watching the "news" and they are making a more than a week old video sound like breaking news, you probably need to look somewhere else.

No I was doing something else and heard it in the background so I didn't know what all the details were. I don't follow every damn story and watch every damn video and come on the Oval to express how the World is going to hell.

I pretty much leave it to the folks who actually get involved to do whatever needs to be done to stop all these people (Republican and Democratic) who have been taping each other and setting each other up to expose each other to the point they ruin each others lives careers or character.

To many folks have been allowed to make decisions about all of our lives that only serve their own interests. It's pretty sad when News uses snippets of video to convict people too. If everyone was left to view these videos I'd doubt we see so damn many people running around with these Social Justice attitudes.

In the end these days....it's usually best to let things blow over or just resign and move on than do a Charlie Sheen and go for the Win!

Aldebaran
3/17/2011, 02:18 PM
This thread:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_s6chfGoOQho/S_XJRTbcExI/AAAAAAAAAAk/lqjCGg8ytAQ/s1600/Guy+pillow+fight.jpg

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 02:26 PM
Damn that's hawt. I bet your all sweaty now. Better watchout....STEP loves that stuff.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 02:27 PM
Ummmm....do you have a bio on them or are you gonna do the Nancy Grace Bitch Execution Trial too?

You could be right...I just don't think it's that big a deal.

It's just election fraud is all. No big deal. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 02:28 PM
It's just election fraud is all. No big deal. :rolleyes:

ANSWER THE QUESTION LEROID!

Explain the big deal.

The Profit
3/17/2011, 02:35 PM
and....

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/richard-nixon-picture.jpg

I have heard from a reliable source that Nixon rots in hell.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 02:45 PM

Explain the big deal.

I have to explain to you why election fraud is a big deal? :rolleyes:

C&CDean
3/17/2011, 02:46 PM
Let's look back and see what ol' Tricky Dick actually did. Had the Watergate Hotel bugged so he could listen in on the donks.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot worse sins out there that would send a guy to hell over this one. You know like perjury? At least Dick had the chutzpah to quit. The shameless liar got impeached and still wouldn't gracefully bow out.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 02:46 PM
I have to explain to you why election fraud is a big deal? :rolleyes:

No...why that one is such a big deal.

pphilfran
3/17/2011, 02:49 PM

Explain the big deal.

Two former leaders of the Oakland County Democratic Party are facing a total of nine felonies ....

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 02:53 PM
Two former leaders of the Oakland County Democratic Party are facing a total of nine felonies ....

They get a day in Court right?

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 02:57 PM

Why bother? To you nine felonies is no big deal, so why even bother finding out if they did it? Just let them go. (Which would sound great to you.)

pphilfran
3/17/2011, 03:07 PM

Maybe...depends on the Grand Jury....both guys did resign...

some additional info...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/patterson-calling-for-grand-jury-investigation-into-tea-party-filings-20100825-wpms

Oakland Count Clerk Ruth Johnson discovered three filings from candidates who claimed to represent the Tea Party, but it turns out those filings may be frauds. One of the so-called candidates doesn't even live in Michigan, and Bauer, the Oakland County Democratic Party's former political director, notarized each and every one of those potentially phony filings.

And....

This isn't the first time Bauer has been accused of doing something shady.

"Republican County Commissioner Shelley Taub during that debate received a letter purportedly from a West Bloomfield constituent... The letter was a total fraud. After Taub did some detective work, she learned the letter in question was admittedly written by an intern at the Oakland County Democratic Party Headquarters at the order of Jason Bauer," Patterson said.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 03:07 PM
Here's more.

Gay politician arraigned in tea party ballot scandal

Michael McGuinness, the former chairman of the Oakland County Democratic Party and Jason Bauer, the party's former operations director, were indicted on March 16 for forgery and perjury, reported the Detroit Free Press.

McGuinness and Bauer are accused of attempting to place two county commission candidates and a state senate candidate on the ballot without the candidate's knowledge, and faking notarized statements to make the candidates show up on the ballot. [Which is no big deal, I guess.]

McGuinness, who was endorsed by BTL in its 2010 voters' guide, was awarded the Rising Star Award at the 2009 Pride Banquet.

"If LGBT youth want a better life experience than present and past LGBT generations, then that requires action. That means organizing, reaching beyond our own community, building coalitions, standing up, getting vocal, being counted ... and winning," McGuinness told BTL after winning the award.

"McGuiness was seen as a rising star in the Democratic party," said the Detroit Free Press. " [He probably still is.] After becoming politically active as a student at Oakland University, he ran Andy Meisner's successful 2008 campaign for Oakland County Treasurer and served as a consultant briefly on the Secretary of State candidacy of Jocelyn Benson. He became chairman of the Oakland County Democrats, replacing County Commissioner Dave Woodward, who was credited with engineering substantial inroads for Democrats in the historically Republican county." [Any of them legal?]

Being gay, McGuinness will make friends real easily in his next career move.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 03:09 PM
Why bother? To you nine felonies is no big deal, so why even bother finding out if they did it? Just let them go. (Which would sound great to you.)

Always putting words in people's mouths aren't ya.

No...If I had nine felonies...I'd be getting an attorney.

The Profit
3/17/2011, 03:12 PM
Let's look back and see what ol' Tricky Dick actually did. Had the Watergate Hotel bugged so he could listen in on the donks.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot worse sins out there that would send a guy to hell over this one. You know like perjury? At least Dick had the chutzpah to quit. The shameless liar got impeached and still wouldn't gracefully bow out.

Dean, he did a little more than that. He used the IRS to go after his political enemies, which is a violation of the constitution. He assembled a list of potential political enemies, and used the FBI and CIA to investigate them. Again, a violation of the constitution. He arranged for private money to be collected from friends like Bebe Reboza to be used as "hush money" for the burglars, which constitutes a coverup, which is against the law. Had he not been pardoned, they might have tossed him in the hoosegow and thrown away the key.

The Profit
3/17/2011, 03:13 PM

Dean, he did a little more than that. He used the IRS to go after his political enemies, which is a violation of the constitution. He assembled a list of potential political enemies, and used the FBI and CIA to investigate them. Again, a violation of the constitution. He arranged for private money to be collected from friends like Bebe Reboza to be used as "hush money" for the burglars, which constitutes a coverup, which is against the law. Had he not been pardoned, they might have tossed him in the hoosegow and thrown away the key.

The Profit
3/17/2011, 03:15 PM

What Clinton did was simple kids' stuff versus what Tricky Dicky did.

The Profit
3/17/2011, 03:18 PM
sorry about the repeat posts. Still not sure what the hell happened, and I am not sure I am smart enough to remove them. My apologies.

pphilfran
3/17/2011, 03:22 PM
The board was locking up for a few minutes..

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 03:34 PM
Pop quiz question: Which government agency did Richard Nixon use to go after his political enemies.

Now, we've gone over this many times in class, so I expect you will have little trouble with this question.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/17/2011, 03:57 PM

What Clinton did was simple kids' stuff versus what Tricky Dicky did.

Profit, I can also think of Kennedy (drunk Ted and Robert), J. Edgar Hoover, and Obama and all 20th century Chicago politicians doing this.

soonercruiser
3/17/2011, 08:41 PM

Yes, they do.
Then it will be added to their Bios. :D

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 08:42 PM
I bet they are exonerated

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 09:32 PM
I bet they are exonerated

You may want to check the names of the jurors to see if they even exist.

soonercruiser
3/17/2011, 09:39 PM
You may want to check the names of the jurors to see if they even exist.

Get a judge in new Hampshire to give them probation, like child molesters.