PDA

View Full Version : How many years does OUr new coach get?

stoopified
3/16/2011, 01:46 PM
By this I don't mean how long a contract does he get but how many years does he get to make THE DANCE?

sooner_born_1960
3/16/2011, 01:48 PM
It's basketball. Two years. All you need are a couple really good freshmen and a sophomore.

LiveLaughLove
3/16/2011, 02:22 PM
Who knows?

Capel could have gotten much longer had his ONLY problem been the win-loss record. It wasn't by a long shot.

There were games last year, where players openly on the court defied him, and he left them on the court. It was embarrassing and obvious. Then there were off the court problems with the law. They were allowed to stay.

Then there were problems with assistants doing illegal stuff. More embarrassment and black eyes.

So, if the next guy has those same problems, and lacks the ability to get it under control and rectify it, then not very long. Say, 2 years.

If he runs a good clean program with good quality character kids, knows how to coach somewhat, and keeps out the NCAA radar, then at least 4-5 years to get things moving substantially.

But as I said, who knows? Joe C. I suppose.

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 02:30 PM
Get things solidified in year one.

Make solid progress in year two.

Make dance in year 3.

soonervegas
3/16/2011, 02:33 PM
I agree with Curly Bill. If you cant get OU to the dance in 3 years you are a very average coach.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/16/2011, 02:36 PM
Since Billy Tubbs coached here and we are a program that ranks right up there with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina. I expect automatic termination of the coach at our first loss

oumartin
3/16/2011, 02:52 PM
yep, better make it in year one or get shown the door!

OU_Sooners75
3/16/2011, 06:59 PM
2 years. Just about 2 full seasons and tourneys ago we were in the elite 8. And now our coach is fired.

So, it better be no longer than 2 years!

Dwight
3/16/2011, 07:30 PM
Since Billy Tubbs coached here and we are a program that ranks right up there with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina. I expect automatic termination of the coach at our first loss

This about sums it up.

Quik Sand
3/16/2011, 07:37 PM
3:gary:

Eielson
3/16/2011, 08:08 PM
If everybody sticks around, we should be able to make the tournament the first year. The way things are set up now, if he doesn't go to the dance in the first two years, then he sucks, or had some unfortunate incidents.

LiveLaughLove
3/16/2011, 09:59 PM
Not sure how the current squad + a JuCo - Cade = tourney in first year, but ok, sounds good to me.

oulucas
3/16/2011, 10:43 PM
Anyone who thinks we make the tournament next year hasn't been watching this year. Cade Davis, while someone I totally respect, is a 6th or 7th man on a tournament team and he was our best player this year.

Whomever gets the job, let's PLEASE give him some time to build something. It's not like we are a basketball school. And the sooner people realize that the sooner we can build a program that will compete at the national level again.

Dwight
3/16/2011, 11:15 PM
I say fire him if we're not in the tournament after 3 years.

Eielson
3/17/2011, 12:54 AM
Anyone who thinks we make the tournament next year hasn't been watching this year.

Wrong.

KC//CRIMSON
3/17/2011, 07:50 AM
Wrong.

Don't be too hard on oulucus, he barely makes it out the front door with the right shoe on the right foot.

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/lucas.jpg

stoopified
3/17/2011, 11:37 AM
BasicallY I think 3 years is needed.My reasoning is that the talent level is down,the April signing period proably won't bring in muchso next year is proably much the same as this year and last.The following year improve and reach the NIT and in year three get to the tourney.

A best case scenario,a good coach is hired and nobody transfers ,Goff and Osby have impact on this team,Pledger,Fitz,Clark,Blair,Newell improve and we go NIT next year.I just can't see improving so much we could jump up to the NCAAs next year.If the new coach can do that next year,sign him to a lifetime deal cause he is REALLY good.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 12:29 PM
One or two Amazing recruits and he won't have to worry about it IMO.

We're so desperate to get someone back that will never have a minus .500 season that we'll probably go another 5 - 10 years.

Mid West Teams could pay a bit more attention to what KU is doing. I don't like them...but they damn sure have made a name for themselves over the years.

stoopified
3/17/2011, 01:37 PM
One or two Amazing recruits and he won't have to worry about it IMO.

We're so desperate to get someone back that will never have a minus .500 season that we'll probably go another 5 - 10 years.

Mid West Teams could pay a bit more attention to what KU is doing. I don't like them...but they damn sure have made a name for themselves over the years.One great player can turn a program around BUT how often does OU get elite talent?If you go by rankings,not often.Tubbs got Tisdale,Webster,Sampson got Humphrey,Lavender,Jeff got Blake,WW,TMG,Tiny.Sometimes ihasn't worked so well for OU.Ou has better sucess with mid level recruitssuch as Tubbs- King,Mookie,Grace,Grant or Sampson with Price,Najera,BookoutGray.

With spring signing in mid April,no caoch ,and the fact that by April we are unlikely to grab a star and don't have schollys to stockpile scrappers.

PhiDeltBeers
3/17/2011, 04:50 PM
Fire the new coach!!!

:D

go4eight
3/17/2011, 09:02 PM
He has too have at least 2 because OU is so screwed with talent that it will take at least 2 years of recruiting to make a dent in the past f438ups!!Go Sooners!!!!!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/18/2011, 12:54 AM
I hate f438ups too!!!

bri
3/18/2011, 01:11 AM
If everybody sticks around, we should be able to make the tournament the first year. The way things are set up now, if he doesn't go to the dance in the first two years, then he sucks, or had some unfortunate incidents.

But as we've all learned unfortunate incidents are entirely the coach's fault, so he should be immediately terminated if that happens.

StoopTroup
3/18/2011, 09:53 AM
One great player can turn a program around BUT how often does OU get elite talent?If you go by rankings,not often.Tubbs got Tisdale,Webster,Sampson got Humphrey,Lavender,Jeff got Blake,WW,TMG,Tiny.Sometimes ihasn't worked so well for OU.Ou has better sucess with mid level recruitssuch as Tubbs- King,Mookie,Grace,Grant or Sampson with Price,Najera,BookoutGray.

With spring signing in mid April,no caoch ,and the fact that by April we are unlikely to grab a star and don't have schollys to stockpile scrappers.

Really.....

I figured he could just pull a couple out of your ***.....

:D ;)

SoonerShark
3/18/2011, 11:54 AM
12....games

SoonerShark
3/18/2011, 11:58 AM
Looks like both we and Indiana would have been better off if Kelvin would have stayed. If wishes and buts were candy and nuts...

SoonerShark
3/18/2011, 12:05 PM
The NCAA has the death penalty. Some teams have a death wish. I have been buying basketball season tickets since 1998. Before that I went to games with student tickets. I plan to keep buying, but I sometimes wonder if the $500 donor component is practical. I am also considering buying the 2 seats next to mine since nobody sat in them all season. I hope we get an exciting coach so I am not alone at the game with my 4 year-old who is the sole person I am around who wants to go to games with me.

stoopified
3/18/2011, 03:07 PM
Looks like both we and Indiana would have been better off if Kelvin would have stayed. If wishes and buts were candy and nuts...

NO! We would botn be better off if neither program had ever heard of Kelvin.

soonercoop1
3/19/2011, 12:37 PM
By this I don't mean how long a contract does he get but how many years does he get to make THE DANCE?

By the 3rd season....

birddog
3/19/2011, 08:47 PM

yeah, we're one sweet 16 trip away from rivaling those programs. i'm think bob goff will put us over the top next season.

oulucas
3/19/2011, 08:57 PM
Wrong.

Eielson, please let me know who the core group of players on our roster are that will make it possible for any coach to lead us to the tournament next year.

I truly do not think we have Big 12 talent on the roster, or at least enough to make the tourny. That being said, I would LOVE to be proven wrong and will happily eat my words if a miracle happens and we do make it next year.

oulucas
3/20/2011, 06:28 PM
A day later and still no answer? I'll ask again. Please list the roster of next year's team that will be playing in the NCAA tournament. . .

Eielson
3/20/2011, 07:37 PM
A day later and still no answer? I'll ask again. Please list the roster of next year's team that will be playing in the NCAA tournament. . .

Here you go, bud...

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/okla-m-baskbl-mtt.html

(Just so you know, Cade won't be on the team next year.)

stoopified
3/20/2011, 10:38 PM
Really.....

I figured he could just pull a couple out of your ***.....

:D ;)Excuse me brother,....what did I do to Pi$$ in your Post Toasties? I thought I was agreeing with a friend that dark days are ahead.Don't understand the unwarranted hostility.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/21/2011, 04:33 AM
The 5 Big XII games we won this year, means we have at least 5 teams we have just as much "Big 12" talent as (Whatever the hell Big 12 talent is)