PDA

View Full Version : If There Was A Playoff ... 2000

SoCal
3/16/2011, 12:19 PM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1056056.html

March Madness always makes college football fans wonder what life would be like if college football had a post-season tournament of its own to settle the matter on the field. Ever since the goofy BCS was created, fans wondered why there couldn't have been some cut-and-dry way to come up with an easy playoff format that also keeps the integrity of the regular season. Of course, it didn't happen - and won't for a while - but it's still one of the sports' biggest topics of discussion.

If were up to us, we'd create an eight-team playoff with the six BCS conference winners, the top-ranked non-BCS conference champion according to the BCS, and one wild-card to be used as a catch-all for Notre Dame, a team that might have been hosed by scheduling, a tie-breaker scenario, or simply the best team left in the discussion. We've taken a look at what might have happened if there was an eight-team playoff in place, but what if it was a 20-team playoff like the FCS currently uses?

What if the FBSers had the exact same format as the FCS with a play-in round during the last week of November, the next round in the first weekend of December, the next on the second week, the Final Four on the third week, and then the national championship held on the first week of January? (Of course, the season would have to start in late August and would have to be more compact to fit in the conference title games, but we'll deal with the true logistics on our next trip in the wayback machine).

To keep this in the land of the real, the big break for the top teams would be home field advantage for the higher seeds up until the the Final Four. Get a top four seed, and you get two games at home meaning the regular season really, really counts, and some of the integrity is kept intact. The Final Four games would incorporate the major bowl games, and the national title would be at a BCS Championship site, like it is now.

Here's our ruling on who gets in. All the conference champions are in and they're seeded accordingly. The remaining nine open slots go strictly according to the final BCS rankings. If you can't make the top 11 of the BCS rankings, you don't have any beef and no complaint. So with that in mind, let's put in place what life might have looked like had the FBS decided to crank out an FCS-like playoff.

Final BCS Ranking In Parentheses

ACC – Florida State (2)
Big East – Miami (3)
Big Ten – Purdue (NR)
Big 12 – Oklahoma (1)
Pac 10 – Washington (4)
SEC – Florida (7)

Big West - Boise State (NR)
Conference USA - Louisville (NR)
MAC - Marshall (NR)
Mountain West - Colorado State (NR)
WAC - TCU (14)

The At-Large Bids Would've Gone To: Virginia Tech (5), Oregon State (6), Nebraska (8), Kansas State (9), Oregon (10), Notre Dame (11), Texas (12), Georgia Tech (13), Clemson (15)

Bubble Busted: Michigan (17 AP, 15 Coaches)

The Bracket Would Be ... Based on BCS rankings. Records are before the 2000-2001 Bowl Games

FIRST ROUND PLAY-IN

No. 17 Colorado State 10-2 at No. 16 Purdue 8-3
Projected Score: Purdue 27-23

No. 20 Marshall 7-5 at No. 13 Georgia Tech 9-2
Projected Score: Georgia Tech 35-10

No. 19 Louisville 9-3 at No. 14 TCU 10-1
Projected Score: TCU 26-23

No. 18 Boise State 10-2 at No. 15 Clemson 9-2
Projected Score: Clemson 41-30

Matchup Analysis: Colorado State would've gotten physical with Purdue, but Drew Brees would come through with a big fourth quarter to hang on. Joe Hamilton would've led Georgia Tech to an easy win over Marshall and Woody Dantzler would've gotten Clemson out to a huge lead over Boise State, but the Broncos would've fought back late to make it interesting. TCU and Louisville would've waged a fantastic battle a late defensive stand pushing the Horned Frogs into the second round.

SECOND ROUND

No. 16 Purdue 9-3 at No. 1 Oklahoma 12-0
Projected Score: Oklahoma 27-13

No. 9 Kansas State 10-3 at No. 8 Nebraska 9-2
Projected Score: Nebraska 37-34

No. 12 Texas 9-2 at No. 5 Virginia Tech 10-1
Projected Score: Texas 34-17

No. 13 Georgia Tech 10-2 at No. 4 Washington 10-1
Projected Score: Washington 23-21

No. 11 Notre Dame 10-2 at No. 6 Oregon State 10-1
Projected Score: Oregon State 41-14

No. 14 TCU 11-1 at No. 3 Miami 10-1
Projected Score: Miami 26-7

No. 10 Oregon 9-2 at No. 7 Florida 10-2
Projected Score: Florida 34-21

No. 15 Clemson 9-3 at No. 2 Florida State 11-1
Projected Score: Florida State 45-27

Matchup Analysis: The Oklahoma defense would've kept Drew Brees in check, while Josh Heupel would've had an efficient and effective game at home. Oregon State would've exposed Notre Dame by bombing away with the tremendous receiving tandem of Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh leading the way. Miami's defense would've shut down TCU, Florida would've pulled away from Oregon late, and Florida State would've bombed its way past Clemson. The big news would be Texas and its shockingly easy win at Virginia Tech, while Washington would pull out a nip-and-tuck war with Marques Tuiasosopo coming up with a grinding late drive to run out the clock. The game of the tournament would've been the Nebraska-Kansas State firefight with the Huskers pulling out the win with a ten-yard Eric Crouch touchdown run three plays after an apparently stalled drive was kept alive by a 15-yard facemask penalty.

THIRD ROUND

No. 8 Nebraska 10-2 at No. 1 Oklahoma 13-0
Projected Score: Oklahoma 38-20

No. 12 Texas 10-2 at No. 4 Washington 11-1
Projected Score: Texas 30-21

No. 6 Oregon State 11-1 at No. 3 Miami 11-1
Projected Score: Miami 34-30

No. 7 Florida 11-2 at No. 2 Florida State 12-1
Projected Score: Florida State 31-15

Matchup Analysis: The Oklahoma defense would struggle a bit early on against the Nebraska offense, but Rocky Calmus and the linebacking corps would have it figured out by the second half. Miami would hang on for dear life after taking a big lead over Oregon State into the fourth quarter. Florida State would've had had any problems getting by Florida in a rematch, and Texas would go into Washington and come away with an efficient win.

FINAL FOUR

No. 12 Texas 11-2 vs. No. 1 Oklahoma 14-0
Projected Score: Oklahoma 14-7

No. 3 Miami 12-1 vs. No. 2 Florida State 13-1
Projected Score: Florida State 28-24

Matchup Analysis: In two rematches of some of the biggest regular season games of the 2000 season. Oklahoma would come up with a win in the rematch with four picks of Chris Simms and two Quentin Griffin touchdown runs. Florida State would get revenge after a classic loss the first time around by hanging on. Ken Dorsey drove the Cane down to the ten, but his last second touchdown pass attempt sailed through Jeremy Shockey's hands.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

No. 2 Florida State 14-1 vs. No. 1 Oklahoma 15-0
Projected Score: Oklahoma 13-2

Matchup Analysis: Chris Weinke and the high flying Seminoles would get shut down cold by one of the great defensive performances in college football

SoonerPride
3/16/2011, 12:23 PM
So we add extra games so a team can "prove it on the field" only to get a final four of rematches whereby the game in season didn't "prove it on the field."

OU's 63-14 shellacking of * is thus meaningless.

No sale.

jumperstop
3/16/2011, 12:27 PM
That was way too long for me to care to read....any playoff with more than 4-8 teams is too many. Even 8 would be too much imo.

rekamrettuB
3/16/2011, 12:29 PM
I can see that championship game now. Heck Florida state would probably only score those 2 points do to a high snap.

StoopTroup
3/16/2011, 12:33 PM
Stupid. **** like that is like us saying we should go best 2 out of 3 with LSU instead of just realizing they were the better team the day we played for all the marbles.

People hate to lose and will try and justify their losing anyway possible by replaying it again on their PS3 or XBOX.

Laughable

MR2-Sooner86
3/16/2011, 12:40 PM
The thing about that playoff is we face Nebraska and Texas...again.

The one I want to know if just how we would've matched up against Miami in 2000. I think we could've taken them.

rowing_coxswain
3/16/2011, 12:42 PM
I think eventually we'll have to go to a playoff system....but this one just has way too many teams. NFL players can play that many a season, but for college players, that just too many games to play in my opinion.

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 12:43 PM
I think eventually we'll have to go to a playoff system....but this one just has way too many teams. NFL players can play that many a season, but for college players, that just too many games to play in my opinion.

Why?

Lots of peeps WANT to go to one (I'm not one of em), but why would we HAVE to?

rowing_coxswain
3/16/2011, 12:47 PM
Why?

Lots of peeps WANT to go to one (I'm not one of em), but why would we HAVE to?

I guess we don't HAVE too...I'm just assuming eventually the NCAA will get tired of teams bitching about not getting a "fair chance." I guess have wasn't the right choice of words.

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 12:50 PM
The NCAA doesn't particularly care what it's member institutions think, and besides that teams griping only create interest, and that means money, and that's what the NCAA really does care about.

JLEW1818
3/16/2011, 12:51 PM
BCS Rules

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 12:51 PM
BCS Rules

Where you been you little perv? :P

JLEW1818
3/16/2011, 12:52 PM
too much work!! :)

u and Leroy Lizard still kicking it?

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 12:54 PM
too much work!! :)

u and Leroy Lizard still kicking it?

I don't interact that much with Leroid on here. Thank God right!

I'm just now starting to be on here more myself. There for a while I was actually busy.

sooner_born_1960
3/16/2011, 12:57 PM
The NCAA doesn't particularly care what it's member institutions think, and besides that teams griping only create interest, and that means money, and that's what the NCAA really does care about.
I never quite understand talk like this. The NCAA is it's member institutions.

Caboose
3/16/2011, 12:57 PM
Barely scanned it, was enough to tell it was too retarded to bother reading.

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 01:00 PM
I never quite understand talk like this. The NCAA is it's member institutions.

That's like saying the US Government is it's people. ;)

sooner_born_1960
3/16/2011, 01:04 PM
Not really. The NCAA doesn't pass one rule that isn't voted on by the member institutions. Plus, membership is voluntary.

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 01:07 PM
Not really. The NCAA doesn't pass one rule that isn't voted on by the member institutions. Plus, membership is voluntary.

LOL...Membership is voluntary? That may be technically true, but what university is gonna turn down membership and miss out on sharing in some of those riches?

sooner_born_1960
3/16/2011, 01:17 PM
So, you agree?

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 01:39 PM
The thing about that playoff is we face Nebraska and Texas...again.

The one I want to know if just how we would've matched up against Miami in 2000. I think we could've taken them.

Yes. Seeing either one of them in a playoff could have spelled trouble.

And assuming you're talking about 01, yes. We were the only team who could have stayed with 01 Miami on a football field.

MR2-Sooner86
3/16/2011, 02:06 PM
Yes. Seeing either one of them in a playoff could have spelled trouble.

And assuming you're talking about 01, yes. We were the only team who could have stayed with 01 Miami on a football field.

In '00 I think we could've beat them.

In '01 we had a good defense but our offense sucked so much *** I think they would've pulled out the win after a defensive slugfest.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 02:19 PM
LOL...Membership is voluntary? That may be technically true, but what university is gonna turn down membership and miss out on sharing in some of those riches?

That sounds pretty voluntary to me.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 02:21 PM
These hypothetical playoff scenarios always remind me of the times my wife tries to use a tv plot to prove a point.

WichitaSooner
3/16/2011, 02:25 PM
basketball already has their pansy *** playoff with stupid *** play-in games... leave football the hell alone.

Curly Bill
3/16/2011, 02:28 PM
basketball already has their pansy *** playoff with stupid *** play-in games... leave football the hell alone.

Don't be dissing B-ball, but what they did this year is indicative of what would happen in football too: start with 4 teams, then that's not enough and we'd move to 8, then that woulddn't be enough and we'd double to 16, then that wouldn't be enough, and well......

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 02:40 PM
In '01 we had a good defense but our offense sucked so much *** I think they would've pulled out the win after a defensive slugfest.

It certainly would have been unlikely, but then again so was the entire 2000 season. I was just saying how badly I wish we got to play them, because we truly were the only team that year that could even attempt to stay with them.

Don't be dissing B-ball, but what they did this year is indicative of what would happen in football too: start with 4 teams, then that's not enough and we'd move to 8, then that woulddn't be enough and we'd double to 16, then that wouldn't be enough, and well......

I really hate the argument that enough wouldn't be enough wouldn't be enough wouldn't be enough etc. We should be smart enough to be able to find a system that works best and stick with it, and go tell the money people that will want more games to go die. The best to date I have seen is a 10 team format. Last 4 play a wild card weekend ala the NFL at the highest seeds home stadium. Then 4 games at the major bowls. Then 2 get the semifinals and 1 gets the big one.

rekamrettuB
3/16/2011, 03:07 PM

This year hell...look at the history of the basketball tournament. Started at 8 and then worked to 64, 65, and now 68. I think in a few years it will be at least 80 and most likely 96. Instead of 4 play in games we will see the lower seeds play 1st round and move on to the play the upper seeds. It's fun as hell right now but the more the expand the more watered down it will get.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 03:28 PM
I really hate the argument that enough wouldn't be enough wouldn't be enough wouldn't be enough etc.

You may hate it, but it's absolutely true. The evidence from other playoff systems is all over the place. People simply cannot be happy with what they have, no matter how much they have. (Gee, that sounds like an argument in another thread.)

Salt City Sooner
3/16/2011, 03:34 PM
It certainly would have been unlikely, but then again so was the entire 2000 season. I was just saying how badly I wish we got to play them, because we truly were the only team that year that could even attempt to stay with them.

I really hate the argument that enough wouldn't be enough wouldn't be enough wouldn't be enough etc. We should be smart enough to be able to find a system that works best and stick with it, and go tell the money people that will want more games to go die. The best to date I have seen is a 10 team format. Last 4 play a wild card weekend ala the NFL at the highest seeds home stadium. Then 4 games at the major bowls. Then 2 get the semifinals and 1 gets the big one.
Boston College & Va. Tech might beg to differ. UM was EXTREMELY fortunate to pull those 2 out.

JLEW1818
3/16/2011, 03:58 PM
no playoff please

stoops the eternal pimp
3/16/2011, 04:00 PM
^

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 04:12 PM
You may hate it, but it's absolutely true. The evidence from other playoff systems is all over the place. People simply cannot be happy with what they have, no matter how much they have. (Gee, that sounds like an argument in another thread.)

We should be smart enough to be able to find a system that works best and stick with it, and go tell the money people that will want more games to go die.

We should be smart enough to be able to find a system that works best and stick with it, and go tell the money people that will want more games to go die.

Boston College & Va. Tech might beg to differ. UM was EXTREMELY fortunate to pull those 2 out.

You are absolutely right, as they were both very close calls. I should have clarified a little better. We were the only team that could have stayed with Miami when they were at full force. They slept walked into, during, and out of Boston College. And they were definitely nowhere near their best when they played at their arch rivals hostile home field, which is why the fact they actually pulled that out was so damn impressive. But when you had their full attention, they were a different animal. The two weeks prior to Va Tech, they had beaten the #12 and #14 teams by a combined score 124-7. There was probably some carryover in their inability to get up emotionally for the Va Tech game. If you want to know just how good that squad was, watch the first half of the NC game, because it was a god damn blood bath. But it's still a tragedy we'll never get to know if we were meant to play David two years in a row. We were the only team that would have had a chance to do it (on the biggest stage).

MeMyself&Me
3/16/2011, 04:35 PM
Yah know, all you anti-playoff people need to speak up every time someone goes off with "EVERYONE wants a playoff so..."

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 05:46 PM

Yeah, but that ain't gonna happen.

We should be smart enough to balance the budget. But it ain't gonna happen.

Organized sports has to deal in realities, not fantasies. The reality is that playoffs just grow and grow and grow.

jumperstop
3/16/2011, 06:10 PM
Yah know, all you anti-playoff people need to speak up every time someone goes off with "EVERYONE wants a playoff so..."

I've said from the beginning I like it the way it is. Yes it helps that the Bcs has been kind to us, but most years the Bcs does a good job with the NCG. At most it should be four teams, how often is there more teams than that that truly deserve to go?

MeMyself&Me
3/16/2011, 06:54 PM
At most it should be four teams, how often is there more teams than that that truly deserve to go?

I can't think of once off the top of my head. But this is the choir here. Just tired of the "everyone wants one" mantra.

OhU1
3/17/2011, 01:15 PM
I thought for sure the punch line in the article would be Miami 28 OU 10 or something like that. That was the Hornfan spin back then, "Miami should have been there instead of OU." That and "if only Snoop Minnis had played" OU would have lost."

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 01:54 PM
I thought for sure the punch line in the article would be Miami 28 OU 10 or something like that. That was the Hornfan spin back then, "Miami should have been there instead of OU." That and "if only Snoop Minnis had played" OU would have lost."

You forgot one: OU got lucky because their punter took a safety. Yes, that got bandied around on Hornfans a lot.

Salt City Sooner
3/17/2011, 03:28 PM
Losing Minnis WAS huge for them (note: I'm not saying they'd have won w/ him, just that it was a huge setback for their offense). He was CW's go to guy all that year & it wasn't even close. Anybody want to make the argument that losing Malcolm Kelly didn't contribute significantly in the losses to BSU & WVU? PT looked like a fish out of water for a large portion of that BSU game, & IMO it was largely in part to not having the guy whom he just had to get the ball in same zip code as in order to get a completion. MK had a TON of amazing grabs that year on off throws. That being said, it was Minnis' own fault. Academics are on the student.

As for Miami 2000, meh. Washington had every bit, if not more of an arguement for being in the OB as the 'canes. For some reason, that seems to get left out whenever this subject comes up.