PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mantel...Possibly The Greatest Oklahoman

sooner59
3/16/2011, 01:28 AM
I don't even know if this is true. But if it is...that guy is Legen...wait for it...dary!

http://www.brobible.com/story/ok-fine-well-post-the-mickey-mantle-bj-letter-thats-been-circulating-on-the

Just go to the link. It has pics so its better to just follow the link instead of quoting. That guy was awesome. :D

hawaii 5-0
3/16/2011, 01:30 AM
Will Rogers would have my vote hands down.

Danny Hodge was special too.

5-0

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 02:37 AM
Joe Don Looney: "I never met a man I didn't like until I met Will Rogers."

King Crimson
3/16/2011, 02:43 AM
seriously, Mantel?

King Crimson
3/16/2011, 02:44 AM
Woody Guthrie

GKeeper316
3/16/2011, 02:45 AM
Woody Guthrie

a distant cousin of mine...

and /agreed

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 03:24 AM
http://www.themoviemind.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/chuck-norris-2.jpg

Or is it?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0197/2084/dean1_crop_340x234.jpg

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 03:28 AM
a distant cousin of mine...

Same here.

Ruh-roh!

GKeeper316
3/16/2011, 05:59 AM
Same here.

Ruh-roh!

he was my great grandmother's second cousin :)

Adrian
3/16/2011, 07:02 AM
Bill Watts. Just ask him...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/16/2011, 08:14 AM
Mantle..Mantle...Mantle

Aldebaran
3/16/2011, 08:47 AM
You people are tripping. Oral Roberts.

Breadburner
3/16/2011, 09:05 AM
Jim Thorpe

My Opinion Matters
3/16/2011, 09:07 AM
Dean.

CrimsonCream
3/16/2011, 10:46 AM

Oral Roberts.

The guy who scammed millions and millions of people out of millions and millions of dollars? (Seed Faith. Give me money and you'll reap the Harvest).

The guy who saw a 700 foot Jesus?

The who said if he didn't get $6 million dollars then his "Father" was going to call him home? (Somebody in Florida gave him the $6 million).

The guy who built the City of Faith?

The guy who had to give away ORU's Medical, Dental and Law Schools?

The guy whose son got kicked out of the Oral Roberts Ministries for misusing money?

And, Yes, at one time I worked for Oral Roberts.

Yep, a great Oklahoma.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 10:51 AM
Oral Roberts.

The guy who scammed millions and millions of people out of millions and millions of dollars? (Seed Faith. Give me money and you'll reap the Harvest).

The who said if he didn't get $6 million dollars then his "Father" was going to call him home? (Somebody in Florida gave him the $6 million).

The guy whose son got kicked out of the Oral Roberts Ministries for misusing money?

Yep, a great Oklahoma.

I agree with CrimsonCream. With all his problems, I would rank him only at about #3 on the list.

OhU1
3/16/2011, 10:57 AM
Mantle did not even qualify to be called a good dad. Greatest Oklahoman? No.

Salt City Sooner
3/16/2011, 11:02 AM
I'd put Ron Howard on there before Chuck Norris. He's done twice as much in H-wood than CN ever thought about, & to my knowledge, HE AIN'T NO FRICKIN' "HORN FAN.

SteelClip49
3/16/2011, 11:11 AM
Mickey MANTLE.....Eh, no comment.

As far as your spelling of Mantle being MANTEL....

Well, this place is good but damn expensive:

http://www.themantelokc.com/

sooneron
3/16/2011, 11:21 AM
Oral Roberts.

Yep, a great Oklahoma.

Your sarcasm detector seems to have malfunctioned.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 11:24 AM
I'd put Ron Howard on there before Chuck Norris. He's done twice as much in H-wood than CN ever thought about, & to my knowledge, HE AIN'T NO FRICKIN' "HORN FAN.

Sarcasm detectors are in short supply.

BTW, can we count Merle Haggard as a competitor?

sooneron
3/16/2011, 11:26 AM
Wayne Coyne!!

BRJ nip

MR2-Sooner86
3/16/2011, 11:31 AM
So Texas had to come to Oklahoma to get a fan that had balls of any kind? Got ya.

Greatest Oklahoman?

http://images.wikia.com/lyricwiki/images/7/7e/Chris_Gaines_-_Greatest_Hits.jpg

:D

sooner59
3/16/2011, 12:26 PM
LOL! You people are funny. It was a joke. I don't think Mickey Mantle is the greatest Oklahoman ever. I was joking about the BJ he got at Yankee Stadium and the fact that he wrote that down and submitted it. Jim Thorpe has my vote for best sports figure. Not sure who "the greatest Oklahoman" would be, though.

Oh and sorry I misspelled his name in the thread title. I were durnk. :D

rowing_coxswain
3/16/2011, 12:36 PM
My vote would be for Jim Thorpe!

Thought Chris Gaines was pretty awesome........haha

GDC
3/16/2011, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't consider any athletes or entertainers to be the greatest anything. What they do is too trivial. A "greatest" should be someone who actually made a tangible contribution to society, like a doctor, soldier, scientist, etc.

texaspokieokie
3/16/2011, 03:56 PM
Sarcasm detectors are in short supply.

BTW, can we count Merle Haggard as a competitor?

sure we could, but he'd count for CA.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2011, 04:51 PM
Me.

Because I got a tard root and a will to win.

Adrian
3/16/2011, 06:44 PM

His vision for an effective TV ministry gave thousands of shut-ins faith and hope. "Something good is going to happen" just gives me the chills...

Breadburner
3/16/2011, 06:55 PM
Roger Miller.....

C&CDean
3/16/2011, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't consider any athletes or entertainers to be the greatest anything. What they do is too trivial. A "greatest" should be someone who actually made a tangible contribution to society, like a doctor, soldier, scientist, etc.

Tom Stafford? Bill Pickett? Paul Harvey? Admiral William Crowe? Paul and Tom Braniff? Jean Kirkpatrick? And mother****ing Belle Starr? This state has a buttload of great/famous folks. I could go on and on, but these are at the tip of my tongue.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 08:03 PM
General Tommy Franks too.

Soonerson1975
3/16/2011, 08:15 PM
Your all wrong. Jesus was from Beggs.

OhU1
3/16/2011, 08:27 PM
Your all wrong. Jesus was from Beggs.

Than why is the Holy City near Medicine Park Oklahoma and Mt. Scott?

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 08:34 PM
sure we could, but he'd count for CA.

But what about his honorary title?

Eielson
3/16/2011, 08:38 PM
Your sarcasm detector seems to have malfunctioned.

Pretty much everybody's is in this thread.

KC//CRIMSON
3/16/2011, 08:39 PM
BRJ nip

Red Dirt.

StoopTroup
3/16/2011, 08:55 PM
I bought one of Mickeys Cooperstown Retirement Jersey's when a friend of mine in the Sports Memorabilia Business had run onto it for sale. He knew I was a Cards Fan for Life but he also knew that I had rooted for Mickey since I was an Okie. He's from Phlorida but we some how get past that at times and we have some fun. I haven't seen him in awhile and should remedy that soon. This thread reminded me of the shirt I have hanging in the closet and my friend.

Good Times...Good Friend....

Anyway it looks like this with the Cooperstown patch on the sleeve and stuff....They are really cool. If you have a favorite player who made it to Cooperstown...I'd suggest getting one if that;s your thing, they are really nice and nicely made...

http://www.ujersy.com/images/201004/goods_img/4675_P_1270784049417.JPG

swardboy
3/16/2011, 09:21 PM
Gene Autrey, Jean Kirkpatrick

picasso
3/16/2011, 09:30 PM

What Thorpe accomplished being a Native American on the world stage just 20 years removed from Wounded Knee is pretty frickin' impressive.
Add to that Avery Brundage and the stripping of his medals, used and tossed aside by our government, and having to dig ditches in California in his late 50's is enough to give one inspiration to carry on against life's obstacles.

Aldebaran
3/16/2011, 09:46 PM
I bought one of Mickeys Cooperstown Retirement Jersey's when a friend of mine in the Sports Memorabilia Business had run onto it for sale. He knew I was a Cards Fan for Life but he also knew that I had rooted for Mickey since I was an Okie. He's from Phlorida but we some how get past that at times and we have some fun. I haven't seen him in awhile and should remedy that soon. This thread reminded me of the shirt I have hanging in the closet and my friend.

Good Times...Good Friend....

Anyway it looks like this with the Cooperstown patch on the sleeve and stuff....They are really cool. If you have a favorite player who made it to Cooperstown...I'd suggest getting one if that;s your thing, they are really nice and nicely made...

http://www.ujersy.com/images/201004/goods_img/4675_P_1270784049417.JPG

Does your friend pay you by the post or do you advertise his merch because the shirt he gave you isn't the only thing in the closet?

olevetonahill
3/16/2011, 09:49 PM
Does your friend pay you by the post or do you advertise his merch because the shirt he gave you isn't the only thing in the closet?

OOOH snarky :D

StoopTroup
3/16/2011, 10:37 PM

Bro....he's a Miami Hurricane Fan....he wouldn't pay me to do anything Sooner...he hates it when he picks us up at the Airport for a gig and I'm wearing OU Stuff. Once he bought what was supposedly Troy Aikman's Freshman Sweater with his Football Letter on it and had Troy sign the damn letter. He came to Town and I met him at Fridays at the bar and he's wearing this ****ing thing. He thought it would rattle me but I hated Aikman until he retired. Once he retired I figured I should let it go...

GDC
3/17/2011, 08:17 AM
What Thorpe accomplished being a Native American on the world stage just 20 years removed from Wounded Knee is pretty frickin' impressive.
Add to that Avery Brundage and the stripping of his medals, used and tossed aside by our government, and having to dig ditches in California in his late 50's is enough to give one inspiration to carry on against life's obstacles.

As usual, those are all good points, pic.

Interesting you mentioned Wounded Knee, I was watching the Bio Channel yesterday and they had a story about Leonard Peltier.

OutlandTrophy
3/17/2011, 08:24 AM
Lloyd Noble

texaspokieokie
3/17/2011, 08:27 AM
But what about his honorary title?

"Okie from Muskogee" ??
his folks came from that area.

nobody cares, but, my Mother was an "Okie from Muskogee".
would've been 100 yrs of age, on 3-12-2011.

King Crimson
3/17/2011, 08:29 AM
Carl B. Albert?

from Bugtussle to a monument at Oxford. if Nixon had resigned, he was acting POTUS.

GDC
3/17/2011, 08:32 AM
"Okie from Muskogee" ??
his folks came from that area.

nobody cares, but, my Mother was an "Okie from Muskogee".
would've been 100 yrs of age, on 3-12-2011.

I have one grandparent remaining alive, he will be 100 this June:)

texaspokieokie
3/17/2011, 08:54 AM
I have one grandparent remaining alive, he will be 100 this June:)

my grandparents were all gone by 1956.

never met my Dad's parents, they died in 1922 & 1936.

you're lucky to have one left alive !!!

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/17/2011, 09:04 AM
So is that letter for real?

If so, that kinda ruins me on him. Don't get me wrong I've had my fair share of bj's but I would never write it on a letter describing the best moment of my life if I was a role model for millions of little kids. Maybe i'm being too serious but whatever

picasso
3/17/2011, 10:11 AM
So is that letter for real?

If so, that kinda ruins me on him. Don't get me wrong I've had my fair share of bj's but I would never write it on a letter describing the best moment of my life if I was a role model for millions of little kids. Maybe i'm being too serious but whatever

Wouldn't surprise me. He was a bit of a surly drunk from what I've read. He'd nail his best friend's wife. Kinda like Switzer.