PDA

View Full Version : Blake Defends Jeff

bri
3/15/2011, 08:00 PM
Can't say I disagree with him. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6221727)

Joe Castiglione called his decision to fire Oklahoma Sooners coach Jeff Capel "a change of direction."And while Capel said in a statement he considers OU a "first class institution and an excellent place to coach," former Sooners standout Blake Griffin thought Capel's firing was more like a slap to the face.

The former Oklahoma star who is now playing for the Los Angeles Clippers said the university's decision to fire his coach was "unfair" and that the school was "piling it on."

"What bothers me the most is that everyone is saying he did all of this when Blake Griffin was there," Griffin said. "Well to me, you say he deserves no credit when a certain player is there and then, when things go bad, throw all the blame on him. To me, they're piling it on. He took over the program after Kelvin Sampson and all of those sanctions and he put his faith in everyone. This is what he gets? Within two years we're in the tournament and now two years later he's fired? It's completely unfair."

Griffin, who said he received a text from Capel shortly after the university's decision, felt so strongly about Oklahoma's decision that he reached out to ESPN.com on Tuesday afternoon.

The No. 1 draft pick two years ago and the top rated player coming out of high school, Griffin's decision to attend Oklahoma was something of a stunner. It helped that his older brother, Taylor, already was there and that the Griffins are Oklahoma natives.

Still the program was mired in the mess that Sampson left behind and Capel was just in his second season.

Griffin took the leap of faith, anyway, jumping mostly because of Capel.By the end of his sophomore season, Griffin was the national player of the year and the Sooners, once in the NCAA dust, were in the Elite Eight.
"As soon as he got the job he started recruiting me and we were in it together," Griffin said. "When I committed to Oklahoma, it wasn't a popular thing to do at the time but I went because of Coach Capel. We all take pride in what we did there and what we built and for them to turn their backs on him so quickly, it really disappoints me."

Griffin isn't naive. He knows that since he left, it has been lean times and troubled times at OU. Despite recruiting as many as four McDonald's All-Americans, Capel and the Sooners were 17-36 in the last two seasons and attendance has steadily flagged.

Worse, the NCAA came back to campus, investigating a loan between a financial adviser and former player Keith "Tiny" Gallon.

"I understand you have to win and I understand the coaching carousel," Griffin said. "And I know about the NCAA but he has said he knew nothing about it and I believe him. Besides, look around at some other coaches and what has happened. They're still coaching. In comparison to Oklahoma, you can't even compare it."

Griffin, who said he's only spoken briefly with Capel since the firing, isn't one to grab his saber and rattle cages.

He hasn't called Castiglione nor does he intend to.

While the decision angers him, it won't sully his relationship with the school. He said his feelings for Oklahoma are rooted in his relationships with his former teammates and the experience he had there.

He was, however, affected enough that he felt compelled to speak and is certain he is not alone in his frustration.

Griffin said he exchanged text messages with his brother, who is playing overseas and that Taylor is equally mystified and is sure his other teammates feel the same.

"I just want people to know the respect I have for Coach Capel and to let people know that I feel like they're giving him a really unfair boot," Griffin said. "I don't claim to know everything when it comes to basketball, but I do know a great coach. He's a great coach and I think Oklahoma has made a mistake."

GDC
3/15/2011, 08:04 PM
Blake should have stayed a couple more years and Capel would still have a job.

Collier11
3/15/2011, 08:05 PM
Talked about this in the Tulsa World thread, I dont expect anything less...Capel is a players coach, that is what got him in trouble at times though

soonerbub
3/15/2011, 08:18 PM

BINGO (even if financially stupid)

Blake & Taylor are self-motivated. Most (if not all) of the other players we have (or had as I expect a mass exodus) are not. Capel tried the buddy route instead of kicking people off the squad and the players knew it & took advantage of it and here we are

Collier11
3/15/2011, 08:21 PM
well, Capel kicked plenty of guys off the team

soonerbub
3/15/2011, 08:26 PM
Never a starter like TMG or Tiny or Willie (or Pledger & Fitz for that matter)

He let those guys do it their way and they ****ed him

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 08:29 PM
That would be totally unfair....:D

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 08:32 PM
How many guys has Blake swayed to consider Jeff? Has he been the best promoter for OU Basketball?

I don't know all he's done...it's just a serious question

MelloYello
3/15/2011, 08:38 PM
I love that Blake came out and stood up for Capel like this.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 08:43 PM
I love that Blake came out and stood up for Capel like this.

Again...it's admirable. I'm not sure he puts himself in a position to help our Program in the future. He kind of ostracizes himself. I'd rather heard something like...I have nothing but respect for Jeff. He'll land on his feet as he's a great Coach IMO. I wish things had worked out for him.

Just a thought.

I don't think controversy is good for us and if you are going to find a good replacement...nobody wants to come here and not feel wanted.

Ton Loc
3/15/2011, 08:43 PM

Blake & Taylor are self-motivated. Most (if not all) of the other players we have (or had as I expect a mass exodus) are not. Capel tried the buddy route instead of kicking people off the squad and the players knew it & took advantage of it and here we are

I didn't realize we had so many people on this board that knew exactly what was going on.

I'll agree with Blake and Cade on this subject because I thought Jeff should get another year and I'll just make the wild assumption they knew more about what was going on.

However, I'll support whatever new guy we get.

badger
3/15/2011, 08:46 PM
How many guys has Blake swayed to consider Jeff? Has he been the best promoter for OU Basketball?

I don't know all he's done...it's just a serious question

Um... I think the rules are the same in college football that they are for college basketball in that alumni can't recruit players for their alma mater.

I mean, remember the big stink raised when McKnight said Reggie Bush was on the phone with him and Pete Carroll to assure him that there was no NCAA hammer about to drop?

MelloYello
3/15/2011, 08:47 PM
I'll agree with Blake and Cade on this subject because I thought Jeff should get another year and I'll just make the wild assumption they knew more about what was going on.

However, I'll support whatever new guy we get.

This.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 08:51 PM
Um... I think the rules are the same in college football that they are for college basketball in that alumni can't recruit players for their alma mater.

I mean, remember the big stink raised when McKnight said Reggie Bush was on the phone with him and Pete Carroll to assure him that there was no NCAA hammer about to drop?

I was afraid you might mistake my intentions. I see Blake on Posters and that's about it. I have no idea what else he can and can't do to promote our Program. I'm saying in general did he do everything that he could do to help Jeff show how attractive OU is to play at?

I'd never expect him to do anything against rules. I believe I heard he showed up at Thunder Games when he was rehabing? Can he make appearaces to OU Games? Can he show on the sidelines at football games when Jeff is showing potentials around?

Stuff like that

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 08:53 PM
This.

it would have been cool if Blake had done the same...

badger
3/15/2011, 08:55 PM
I was afraid you might mistake my intentions. I see Blake on Posters and that's about it. I have no idea what else he can and can't do to promote our Program. I'm saying in general did he do everything that he could do to help Jeff show how attractive OU is to play at?

I'd never expect him to do anything against rules. I believe I heard he showed up at Thunder Games when he was rehabing? Can he make appearaces to OU Games? Can he show on the sidelines at football games when Jeff is showing potentials around?

Stuff like that
I know he had a day back at OU where he was giving away his "WORK" hat and signing autographs and all. Not sure how easy it is for him to get from LA to Oklahoma.

I know Blake is generally a quiet (but goofy) guy, but this is one instance where he could have really helped Capel by speaking up publicly sooner.

soonerbub
3/15/2011, 09:01 PM
I was surprised he was fired too as I thought he saved his job by beating osu & da bears. That said the cold hard truth is we have had little to no discipline on & off the court in the last 2 years.

I believe the NCAA is gonna strike and strike HARD and that is the reason he was "released". I also believe that Joe C is gonna hire someone on the cheap.

I'm slowly but surely reaching the acceptance stage of realizing OU Men's Basketball is gonna be in the ****ing toilet for another 5 years and I blame much of it on the yay-hoos Capel recruited

JMHO of course...

bri
3/15/2011, 09:01 PM
Blake Griffin is the biggest selling point for Oklahoma basketball right now since he's the hottest thing in the Association right now. Someone probably should have thought about how he, as well as the rest of the former and current players, felt about this move beforehand.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 09:02 PM
Blake Griffin is the biggest selling point for Oklahoma basketball right now since he's the hottest thing in the Association right now. Someone probably should have thought about how he, as well as the rest of the former and current players, felt about this move beforehand.

There ya go. I totally agree. He's the face of OU Basketball.

oumartin
3/15/2011, 09:05 PM
well you all are obviously smarter than Joe C.

stoopified
3/15/2011, 09:20 PM

Blake & Taylor are self-motivated. Most (if not all) of the other players we have (or had as I expect a mass exodus) are not. Capel tried the buddy route instead of kicking people off the squad and the players knew it & took advantage of it and here we areBuddy system? Didn't kick players off?Capel lost a lot of players because he was too tough on them and outright booted others.

LiveLaughLove
3/15/2011, 09:56 PM
Would be shocked if a player or former player didn't want their coach to stay.

I trust Joe C. more than Blake on what's best for OU.

Blake will be fine. Capel will be fine.

OU Mens BB is on life support and Joe had to do something.

Blake being the face of the program hasn't gotten us many good quality recruits as of late.

He may be a small factor for some, but there are a myriad of reasons why a kid will pick OU, or not pick OU. Former players, even great ones, will be down the list a ways.

EnragedOUfan
3/15/2011, 10:29 PM
Talked about this in the Tulsa World thread, I dont expect anything less...Capel is a players coach, that is what got him in trouble at times though

This..........Just like an employee/leader too worried about being everyone's friend. You can't have that in a leadership role.

picasso
3/15/2011, 11:08 PM
Just win baby.

Capel didn't.

Sooner_Bob
3/16/2011, 07:44 AM
Just win baby.

Capel didn't.

Yep

The Maestro
3/16/2011, 10:11 AM
Blake sticking up for his coach. I have no problem with that.

Some of JOHN Blake's players did the same thing when he got canned.

I don't think they seemed to mind the change in football coaches two short years later.

picasso
3/16/2011, 11:22 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that they talk every day on the phone. Good friends.

nativesooner
3/16/2011, 12:06 PM
You guys are a little premature when saying "Blake hasn't helped us get any players!" He's played one year in the NBA. Tons of kids around here sport #32 and #23 jerseys and want to be just like him. Within a few years some of those same kids might be good enough to play D1 ball. I guarantee that we'll get players in the future who want to go to OU just because Blake did. We just have to get a coach that can recruit the state better. I know Blake forgot to get approval from some of you guys on what he should say, but as far as I'm concerned he's earned the right to say what he wants.

Soonerjeepman
3/16/2011, 01:52 PM
Tons of kids around here sport #32 and #23 jerseys and want to be just like him. Within a few years some of those same kids might be good enough to play D1 ball. I guarantee that we'll get players in the future who want to go to OU just because Blake did. .

LOL..actually by then they'll go where Capel is...because he made Blake into the player he is...:pop:

so they say...

LiveLaughLove
3/16/2011, 02:11 PM
I guarantee that we'll get players in the future who want to go to OU just because Blake did.

First, I don't mind Blake saying what he did. I will note that Waymon stayed classy when it came time for Billy to go (at least that I can recall). His comments certainly don't help, but of course, he's free to say it.

I'll do a guarantee of my own. If a kid goes to OU based solely or even mostly, on Blake having gone there, that will be a kid that will not have the maturity to handle the rigors of D-1 ball and D-1 classes. And if his parents say, "sure son, we think Blake is the deciding reason to go to OU! We're with ya!" Well those probably aren't parents that have raised him very well.

As a young kid, it's great to have those heroes. As a young man deciding what is best for your future in total, it would be pure folly.

Can it happen? I suppose. You can call me out when some kid commits to OU, and the deciding factor is Blake. "Hey, OUs ok, but not any better than the other schools I visited, the coach eh, the facilities are fair, the classes are the same as everywhere else, but dangit! I love me some BG! so here I am!"

Jmorales22
3/16/2011, 03:52 PM
"Players coaches" can be winners and hard disciplinarians can be losers. There are many successful approaches to coaching.

The reason Capel got fired is because he made mistakes in scouting recruits and in judging character that resulted in the hole that we're in today. With no big prospects on the horizon and a roster devoid of talent, now was the time to let him go. Capel will probably land on his feet somewhere and maybe have success as he learned from his mistakes. Ultimately I don't know if he'll ever be a great coach though.

picasso
3/16/2011, 07:37 PM
I really can't blame Blake for defending his coach.

nativesooner
3/17/2011, 01:15 AM
First, I don't mind Blake saying what he did. I will note that Waymon stayed classy when it came time for Billy to go (at least that I can recall). His comments certainly don't help, but of course, he's free to say it.

I'll do a guarantee of my own. If a kid goes to OU based solely or even mostly, on Blake having gone there, that will be a kid that will not have the maturity to handle the rigors of D-1 ball and D-1 classes. And if his parents say, "sure son, we think Blake is the deciding reason to go to OU! We're with ya!" Well those probably aren't parents that have raised him very well.

As a young kid, it's great to have those heroes. As a young man deciding what is best for your future in total, it would be pure folly.

Can it happen? I suppose. You can call me out when some kid commits to OU, and the deciding factor is Blake. "Hey, OUs ok, but not any better than the other schools I visited, the coach eh, the facilities are fair, the classes are the same as everywhere else, but dangit! I love me some BG! so here I am!"

You mean WaymAn Tisdale? Or are you talking about WaymOn Clark, the former OU RB? That was a different era. Wayman could have went home and stomped around for three days and no one would have known. Kids these days wear their emotions on their sleeves, they're highly opinionated, and they tell 100000 people how they feel the moment they feel it via twitter, facebook, skype, whatever. If you don't realize that then you haven't been around teenagers or are one yourself. Blake's going to defend his former coach, despite whether or not some "fan" on a message board thinks he should.

And I didn't say that a kid would come to OU SOLELY because they watched Blake hop over a car in the dunk competition. You have to have a decent coach, decent tradition, and a bit of love for the university. I know a kid that grew up a fan of OU and wanted to be the next Adrian Peterson. He was a decent HS RB and was being recruited by a few schools at that position. He was being recruited by OU at DB. Early in the process he told his family that he wanted to play for OU because he loved the school and because he wanted to play where Adrian did. It didn't hurt that OU was pretty good at the time, but he didn't chose OU over other schools because of their wonderful curriculum.

LOL..actually by then they'll go where Capel is...because he made Blake into the player he is...:pop:

so they say...

I know you and your alter ego "87sooner" both hated Jeff and prayed for us to lose every game to get rid of him, but if Cade and Blake both said he was a decent coach, I think I believe them. :pop:

King Crimson
3/17/2011, 07:54 AM
unpopular as it may be, i would have given Capel one more year. we were terrible but i thought winning 5 conference games was pretty good with this group of role-players, Cade Davis, and JUCO snoozers. i was guessing much less at the onset of conference play. Melvin Watkins winless Aggie team crossed my mind. to openly sever OU's direct ties to Blake (who is a PR/recruiting gold mine) makes me think the NCAA knows something re: Tiny. and Joe C. knows it, as well. Capel is pretty "connected" with his dad and Duke/Coach K....there's a lot of downside to this imo. and it was worth the risk for Joe C....tells me maybe we are cutting bait on an NCAA trouble situation. maybe.

GDC
3/17/2011, 08:24 AM
I know you and your alter ego "87sooner" both hated Jeff and prayed for us to lose every game to get rid of him, but if Cade and Blake both said he was a decent coach, I think I believe them

It doesn't matter who says he was a good or bad coach. He was getting paid big bucks to get results in the form of wins, contending for titles, and going to the NCAA. He didn't produce so he's out.

The Maestro
3/17/2011, 10:23 AM
if Cade and Blake both said he was a decent coach, I think I believe them. :pop:

John Blake's "keeds" thought he was a good coach, too.

Crimsontothecore
3/17/2011, 11:55 AM
Sorry, but I'm not part of the "I respect a player that supports his coach" group. Blake could have shown support without slamming OU in the process. All he had to do was make a statement saying what a great man Capel is and how much he respects him and wants success for him in the future. That's where he should have stopped. To say OU was unfair to Capel and that he's a "great" coach just kills Blakes credibility in my eyes. Seriously Blake, back to back losing seasons for the first time in 40 years should be ok? please. Just say he's your friend and shut up.

Just how many more losing seasons should we tolerate Blake? next year? year after? year after that? Or should we just forget about being respectable in basketball so long as your friend has a good job with a fat paycheck?

I also call BS on saying that Capel was the reason he came to OU. I believe he wanted to play with his brother and would have come here no matter who the coach was. If Capel was the reason he played here then why didn't he stay after Taylor graduated?

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 12:23 PM
Sorry, but I'm not part of the "I respect a player that supports his coach" group. Blake could have shown support without slamming OU in the process. All he had to do was make a statement saying what a great man Capel is and how much he respects him and wants success for him in the future. That's where he should have stopped. To say OU was unfair to Capel and that he's a "great" coach just kills Blakes credibility in my eyes. Seriously Blake, back to back losing seasons for the first time in 40 years should be ok? please. Just say he's your friend and shut up.

Just how many more losing seasons should we tolerate Blake? next year? year after? year after that? Or should we just forget about being respectable in basketball so long as your friend has a good job with a fat paycheck?

I also call BS on saying that Capel was the reason he came to OU. I believe he wanted to play with his brother and would have come here no matter who the coach was. If Capel was the reason he played here then why didn't he stay after Taylor graduated?

good post.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/17/2011, 12:48 PM
Glad Blake defended him...However, interesting to see VCU won their play-in game and are tournament bound...