PDA

View Full Version : AD- "NFL = Modern day slavery"

Salt City Sooner
3/15/2011, 02:11 PM
I hate going against a Sooner, but he's full of it in my books. Last time I checked, slaves didn't make almost 11 million bucks in a year:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/03/adrian-peterson-players-place-in-nfl-like-modern-day-slavery/1

Caboose
3/15/2011, 02:13 PM
Terrible, terrible analogy. I hope AD retracts that silly statement.

yermom
3/15/2011, 02:15 PM
well, "slavery" is more salient than "monopoly"

but yeah, that's a bit dramatic

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 02:16 PM
Update, 2:47 p.m. ET: Yahoo Sports has removed the "modern-day slavery" comments from the story. But the author, Doug Farrar, confirmed on his Twitter page that Peterson make the remark.

If he said it, why remove it?

BTW, is there a point at which the owners will set the slaves free?

TahoeSOONER
3/15/2011, 02:20 PM
Running backs get hit in the head.:pop:...a LOT

EatLeadCommie
3/15/2011, 02:21 PM
Dramatic, yes. Bad comparison, yes. But if you read his entire quote, which I'm frankly surprised that they published, it's pretty clear he at least has a reason for thinking the way he does and he states his case relatively well.

OUDizzle
3/15/2011, 02:25 PM
Don't be silly, Adrian Peterson.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/7336/129393323076d0.jpg

AlboSooner
3/15/2011, 02:30 PM
Last time I checked AD was caught speeding in a $80K BMW. Must be tough being an NFL player.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/15/2011, 02:32 PM
Where can I sign up to be this modern day slave?

DarrellZero
3/15/2011, 02:34 PM
How to turn public opinion against you, Chapter 1.

Every time there is a labor dispute in professional sports, some athlete says something like this and invariably ends up regretting it.

pappy
3/15/2011, 02:35 PM
Wow I just realized this thread is full of people disagreeing with something a great sooner said/did and everyone is still in the green. Impressive. Allow me to join in...

Adrian you get paid millions of dollars to play a game that everyone else who isn't a pro or at usc plays for free. So keep your dumb "slave" comments to yourself.

Breadburner
Wow....Shame on AD....

trueou
I hate going against a Sooner, but he's full of it in my books. Last time I checked, slaves didn't make almost 11 million bucks in a year:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/03/adrian-peterson-players-place-in-nfl-like-modern-day-slavery/1

Yep. I love AD. But that is one stupid statement.

But on another level, it demonstrates how far we have come from the evil of chattel slavery. No one alive today really has a clue.

rekamrettuB
3/15/2011, 02:40 PM
"It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money … the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.'

Spoken like a true employee. I've heard these words a lot in my short life. It's a two way street. Both players (employees) and owners (employer) need each other and both need be treated appropriately.

soonervegas
Patrick Ewing circa 1999:

"We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money."

pappy
Yep. I love AD. But that is one stupid statement.

But on another level, it demonstrates how far we have come from the evil of chattel slavery. No one alive today really has a clue.

This is true...I hate when people make references to the slave days as if they were there.

pappy
3/15/2011, 02:42 PM
Spoken like a true employee. I've heard these words a lot in my short life. It's a two way street. Both players (employees) and owners (employer) need each other and both need be treated appropriately.

Players come and go a lot more than the owners do. Every year there is a new crop of talented players ready to play...the game will live on whether Adrian plays another down or not. If the NFL can continue after Barry Sanders, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice all retired then it will live on after Adrian Peterson, Tom Brady and so on retire as well.

rekamrettuB
3/15/2011, 02:44 PM
Patrick Ewing circa 1999:

"We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money."

Latrell Sprewell after being offered 3 years, $21 million:

"I got my family to feed".

Lesson: These guys say some stupid ****.

badger
3/15/2011, 02:53 PM
This is bad. He needs to retract this IMMEDIATELY or he is gonna lose his endorsements.

Check that, you shouldn't be compelled to do something just because of money. You should be compelled to do the right thing. He should have said THAT, that this is about doing the right thing for players that don't make as much as he does, looking out for his fellow players and teammates in the league, a majority of whom make the minimum and only last a few years.

See how much better than sounds than slavery? AD, please, please PLEASE retract your statement. :(

tfoolry
3/15/2011, 03:03 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/ADpic.jpg

KantoSooner
3/15/2011, 03:10 PM
He's a young guy. The owners are playing hardball and the union is busy inflaming its members into jihad mode. Sooner or later, some player or other was bound to make a dumb remark.
To me it has more to do with a poorly handled negotiation than with anything else.
And any time he wants his freedom, he can walk right out the door and start earning his living some other way.

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 03:16 PM
Okay, as a Sooner fan I am obligated to at least try to come up with a good excuse for his comments. This has been a tough assignment, but I managed to put one together. Keep in mind that I am really stretching here.

Okay, here goes:

This isn't AD talking, it's the union. That's what unions do. No matter how much money you make; no matter how many benefits you receive, they will always be there to convince you that the man upstairs is responsible for all of your problems. A union will never, ever let you be happy. So they pass out literature; they get on the phone, and they shovel at you a relentless assault of envy and self-pity until you reach the point where you are saying stupid things. At that point you lose perspective and think that, despite all the millions you make, you are really one of the unfortunate ones because someone else is making even more than you. And if it is your employer, he is not only making more than you but laughing at your misery behind your back. No amount of money or benefits is enough, because you can't think of how much money you make, but only about how much someone else makes.

AD, you had better step back and realize that not only is the NFL not a plantation, but you left school early to join this plantation. And if you really think you are a slave, demand your right to freedom. We'll set up an Underground Railroad so that you can escape Minnesota and join your freed people checking groceries at the Wal-Mart.

badger
3/15/2011, 03:26 PM
We'll set up an Underground Railroad so that you can escape Minnesota

I think Interstate 35 leads out of Minny-ha-ha land and straight back to Oklahoma (or Texas, if he wants to visit his hometown).

Seriously, he might be onto something. They labeled him Purple Jesus against his father's "All Day" wishes, then placed him behind an aging old guy who steals his spotlight with derp derp will he or won't he retire and then the roof collapses and forces him to work outside in the harsh elements.

FREE AD FROM MINNESOTA!

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/15/2011, 04:21 PM
Okay, as a Sooner fan I am obligated to at least try to come up with a good excuse for his comments. This has been a tough assignment, but I managed to put one together. Keep in mind that I am really stretching here.

Okay, here goes:

This isn't AD talking, it's the union. That's what unions do. No matter how much money you make; no matter how many benefits you receive, they will always be there to convince you that the man upstairs is responsible for all of your problems. A union will never, ever let you be happy. So they pass out literature; they get on the phone, and they shovel at you a relentless assault of envy and self-pity until you reach the point where you are saying stupid things. At that point you lose perspective and think that, despite all the millions you make, you are really one of the unfortunate ones because someone else is making even more than you. And if it is your employer, he is not only making more than you but laughing at your misery behind your back. No amount of money or benefits is enough, because you can't think of how much money you make, but only about how much someone else makes.

AD, you had better step back and realize that not only is the NFL not a plantation, but you left school early to join this plantation. And if you really think you are a slave, demand your right to freedom. We'll set up an Underground Railroad so that you can escape Minnesota and join your freed people checking groceries at the Wal-Mart.

i actually don't think that's that far of a strecth. i work in an industry that relies heavily on union workers, and can tell you first hand that, amongst other inappropriate dealings, they feed you you a bunch of negative bull**** in order to inflame the situation. as a result, good honest workers, that normally don't complain, end up spewing union leaders' agendas and put themselves in the spotlight as saying or doing something completely out of the norm.

in this particular case, i can see where AD may have been force fed a bunch of BS, and has found himself falling victim to the manipulations of the union puppet masters. I hope AD will take a step back and realize what he said was wrong, and admit that, no matter what people are telling him to say, he is his own person, and has a very good life--one many of us wich we could have or had.

CushCreekmont
3/15/2011, 04:43 PM
The hyperbole of such silly claims by highly paid guild members makes me less sympathetic to their cause. But as with all sports players versus owners in the past 30 years, I can't root for Billionaires or Millionaires. The only groups worse than these two sets of spoiled rich-kids are the lawyers trying to force a "legal" settlement and (God forbid) politicians coming into it.

badger
3/15/2011, 04:46 PM
In this instance, I find myself favoring the players over the owners, because (a) they're not all millionaires, some are $50k practice squad players that sometimes get cut midseason before they can even see all of that $50k (like ENA), (b) we've seen what the toll is for some of these NFL alums and (c) The NFL owners don't need to the extra billion to pay for new stadiums and they know it - they usually get taxpayers to foot the bill after threatening to move the team

fwsooner22
3/15/2011, 04:47 PM
Ooops. Somebody got a call from his agent and public relations guy. I bet you won't hear a word from him for quite awhile. That is just plain ignorant.

BoomerJ
3/15/2011, 05:22 PM
I think Interstate 35 leads out of Minny-ha-ha land and straight back to Oklahoma (or Texas, if he wants to visit his hometown).

Seriously, he might be onto something. They labeled him Purple Jesus against his father's "All Day" wishes, then placed him behind an aging old guy who steals his spotlight with derp derp will he or won't he retire and then the roof collapses and forces him to work outside in the harsh elements.

FREE AD FROM MINNESOTA!

I thought you were referring to Mini Ha Ha Bingo on I-35 in OKC.

Wishboned
3/15/2011, 06:01 PM

The Yahoo article I looked at still had the quote.

And the only way a slave analogy comes close is in the way players are drafted, traded, and bartered for. And even that is a far stretch.

jersey sooner
3/15/2011, 06:07 PM
And the only way a slave analogy comes close is in the way players are drafted, traded, and bartered for. And even that is a far stretch.

How about the absurd amount of physical exertion? That's pretty comparable to what slaves endured.

Wishboned
3/15/2011, 06:09 PM
How about the absurd amount of physical exertion? That's pretty comparable to what slaves endured.

Except for the fact that slaves were not compensated for their exertion.

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 06:18 PM

Slaves had no choice. Slaves did it for no pay.

Gee, that makes a big difference does it not? (Well, to most reasonable people.)

KNEE BRACE
3/15/2011, 06:25 PM
AD is about 80% right.

It's overdramatic, yes. The point is, the players are making a ton of money, and the owners are making a ton of money 100 times over. Now they're trying to make more money, while paying the players less and demanding they work more. No employee would or should take that without putting up a fight.

Anyone who says "WELL GEE THEY MAKE MILLIONS SOME ROUGH LIFE" is missing the point.

NickDangerThirdEye
3/15/2011, 06:26 PM
He dreamed it in his head.

Wishboned
3/15/2011, 06:31 PM
AD is about 80% right.

It's overdramatic, yes. The point is, the players are making a ton of money, and the owners are making a ton of money 100 times over. Now they're trying to make more money, while paying the players less and demanding they work more. No employee would or should take that without putting up a fight.

Anyone who says "WELL GEE THEY MAKE MILLIONS SOME ROUGH LIFE" is missing the point.

Well, unlike slaves they have the option of not working for their respective teams in the NFL, and trying their hand at a new profession.

Or even better. The players can form their own league. Take the risks, and reap all the rewards.

KNEE BRACE
3/15/2011, 06:34 PM
Like I said, the slavery part was poorly chosen. But I'm sure you would love it if your boss said "hey, i need you to work more, but i'm going to pay you less. also, the money you won't be making goes directly into my pocket."

Wishboned
3/15/2011, 06:35 PM
Like I said, the slavery part was poorly chosen. But I'm sure you would love it if your boss said "hey, i need you to work more, but i'm going to pay you less. also, the money you won't be making goes directly into my pocket."

No I wouldn't like it all.

It would probably motivate me to find a new job.

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 06:42 PM

I took advantage of my opportunity to get educated, making it more difficult for my employer to do that.

By and large, NFL players didn't. Almost all of them were given four years of free education (I wasn't), squandered it, and now cannot understand why they can't push their employer around without resorting to crude tactics.

What complaint does AD really have? He was given a full ride at a flagship university, but decided to leave early without his degree. The fact that the NFL was willing to pay him a monstrous salary anyway just goes to show you how out of touch AD is with reality.

The more I think about it, the more silly the players' arguments sound. They went to college for four or five years (some even less than that), partied like crazy, and cannot be happy with multi-million dollar contracts. So if they are truly the oppressed, what does that make us?

oudavid1
3/15/2011, 06:48 PM
Shut the **** up AD. That is so stupid.

jersey sooner
3/15/2011, 06:51 PM
If Wishboner or lizard boy would be so kind as to show me the quote in which I stated slaves were payed, that would be greatly appreciated. TIA

oudavid1
3/15/2011, 07:09 PM
this whole thing reminds me of when people start talking of paying college football players.

Dont like it, dont play.

budbarrybob
3/15/2011, 07:10 PM
... :rolleyes:

oudavid1
3/15/2011, 07:11 PM

... :rolleyes:

mine?

Come onnnnnn. Ok, what did i do?

oumartin
3/15/2011, 07:15 PM
I'll play for half his money and would probably fumble less. ;)

jersey sooner
3/15/2011, 07:17 PM
^ You bite your tongue.

Herr Scholz
3/15/2011, 07:18 PM
He made some good points. Poor choice of words. He should've said they're treated like race horses.

oudavid1
3/15/2011, 07:20 PM
I'll play for half his money and would probably fumble less. ;)

i think i would. I would get injured after my first hit.

^ You bite your tongue.

lol

He made some good points. Poor choice of words. He should've said they're treated like race horses.

This.

SHUT UP HORN!!!!

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 07:26 PM

I don't think he scored any good points at all.

MR2-Sooner86
3/15/2011, 07:28 PM
I wish for the day the sports world is like that in BASEketball and all athletes are treated as indentured servants.

Herr Scholz
3/15/2011, 07:43 PM
I don't think he scored any good points at all.

It was basically a labor vs. management argument without the unfortunate analogy. He's much smarter than he's getting credit for due to that gaffe.

JLEW1818
3/15/2011, 07:46 PM
very Vince Young like... dumb

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 08:13 PM
very Vince Young like... dumb

Let's not push it. He was at least coherent.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/15/2011, 08:29 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XdUZ_8oMAT4/TTYppYtcoVI/AAAAAAAAD3o/a0IqnJeZzOQ/s1600/jack+lambert.jpg
wah wah i was treated like a racehorse

85Sooner
3/15/2011, 10:25 PM
AD you better check your *** at the border. You know nothing about slavery. You have been treated as a King since you were a child. I forgave Bosworth. Don't know if you will ever get that chance. You just don't say that without consequences.

oumartin
3/15/2011, 10:42 PM
I'm sure he's concerned with your forgiveness

Sooner Cal
3/15/2011, 11:20 PM
Clearly, AD has a bit more to learn about PR. NFL players are not seen as victims. The public thinks they are spoiled. The public sees statements like this as similar to Winslow's comparison of Miami players to soldiers. That didn't go over well.

He should stay under the radar.

Personally, if they can't negotiate an agreement, I say take away the tax deductibility of suites and tickets to entertain customers. I see no reason why we subsidize millionaires.

PLaw
3/15/2011, 11:35 PM

AD is free to go earn a living any way he chooses. Nobody has forced him to play professional sports - it's his choice. He is not being enslaved or endentured to the career path he has freely chosen. By all accounts AD is free to choose whether or not he would like to play for the Vikings, choose a 2nd career, or retire to Palestine at the ripe old age of 26(?).

Please. As another poster noted, slavery does still exist in this world today, but it certainly is not in the NFL. Also sad is the great number of Americans that are being forced into 2nd careers because their jobs have been eliminated, outsourced, or sent overseas.

Attitudes like this is why I clearly could care less if I ever see another NFL game - in person or on TV. Grown men getting paid millions of dollars by billionaires to play a child's game. They can all KMA.

BOOMER

nighttrain12
3/15/2011, 11:45 PM
Gee, both Peterson and Blake Griffin makes incredibly stupid comments on the same day. What are the odds?

pappy
3/15/2011, 11:45 PM

The owner has that right. If he wants to add more hours to your schedule and pay you less he can do that. Just like you as the employee has the right to say thanks but no thanks and go find a different job...I have 0 sympathy for the players.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 12:20 AM
Anybody here listen to Francesa? Anyway, today he was saying the players could never win over the public because the average guy can relate themselves much better to athletes who make millions playing "a kids game" than to the super rich who make billions. It seems like what and how the owners do what they do is a totally foreign affair. It's much easier to relate to the athletes we watch every day. And I guess to a Turd Ferguson like lizard boy it can appear they are just playing a "kids game." He then said this is of course bogus because what the players do requires a far superior level of skill (sound familiar lizzy?). Then a few minutes later he hit the mother ****ing nail on the mother ****ing head. He said something very close to "You can't look at this with any traditional business principles. Anyone who is trying to doesn't know anything. It doesn't work on any level. This is completely unique from anything remotely regular by business standards. The reason being is the players aren't just the employees, they're also the product. If you take away the players it doesn't work. Why do you think there isn't a second NFL? The players who have honed their skills for their entire lives to the level that they are at now are the product people will pay for (sound familiar lizzy?). It's not like any union where you can choose to hire non-union workers, because only the players are capable of the work (sound familiar lizzy?)." If Francesa would quit dropping his R's he would be good in my book.

pappy
3/16/2011, 12:45 AM
Anybody here listen to Francesa? Anyway, today he was saying the players could never win over the public because the average guy can relate themselves much better to athletes who make millions playing "a kids game" than to the super rich who make billions. It seems like what and how the owners do what they do is a totally foreign affair. It's much easier to relate to the athletes we watch every day. And I guess to a Turd Ferguson like lizard boy it can appear they are just playing a "kids game." He then said this is of course bogus because what the players do requires a far superior level of skill (sound familiar lizzy?). Then a few minutes later he hit the mother ****ing nail on the mother ****ing head. He said something very close to "You can't look at this with any traditional business principles. Anyone who is trying to doesn't know anything. It doesn't work on any level. This is completely unique from anything remotely regular by business standards. The reason being is the players aren't just the employees, they're also the product. If you take away the players it doesn't work. Why do you think there isn't a second NFL? The players who have honed their skills for their entire lives to the level that they are at now are the product people will pay for (sound familiar lizzy?). It's not like any union where you can choose to hire non-union workers, because only the players are capable of the work (sound familiar lizzy?)." If Francesa would quit dropping his R's he would be good in my book.

Players come and players go yet the league still remains. Owners stay a lot longer than players do. If they don't want to play then they don't have to and someone else will take their place. There is a new crop of players every year.

"That's the thing about these high school girls, I keep getting older and they stay the same age." ... Same goes for professional athletes.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 01:38 AM
Players come and players go yet the league still remains. Owners stay a lot longer than players do. If they don't want to play then they don't have to and someone else will take their place. There is a new crop of players every year.

The players think they are indispensable. They are deluded. As you said, there are plenty of players eager to take their place, and the fans will go to the games as long as they play halfway decent and the games are competitive.

If the current crop of players got up and quit, the replacements would bring in the fans just as much. It might take a season for fans to adjust, but ultimately the fans root for the team. If a Washington Redskin joined the Cowboys, he would become instantly popular among Cowboys fans because he belongs to the Cowboys organization. It has happened so many times it isn't even disputable anymore.

yermom
3/16/2011, 01:55 AM
how much money would the owners lose in the process?

the fans aren't going to show up to not see AD or the Mannings to play in the meantime

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 02:07 AM
Anybody here listen to Francesa? Anyway, today he was saying the players could never win over the public because the average guy can relate themselves much better to athletes who make millions playing "a kids game" than to the super rich who make billions.

The players struck in 1987 and found out the hard way that the public didn't have as much support for them as they thought they would garner. It is not true that fans rally behind players in these situations, nor are the owners necessarily expected to lose money. You might want to read the following Bureau of Labor Statistics report.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1988/08/rpt1full.pdf

Even anecdotally, you get the sense in here that there is little sympathy for the players in this mess. People relate more to owners because they consider them successful businessmen who wheeled and dealed their way to success, whereas they view players as spoiled rotten malcontents who are paid exorbitantly for playing a game. This isn't the Soviet Union -- here people fully understand that the dude who puts his money on the line to own a company should get paid handsomely for it.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 02:19 AM
how much money would the owners lose in the process?

the fans aren't going to show up to not see AD or the Mannings to play in the meantime

What was the impact on players and owners? The strikers lost an average of $15,000 per game, and approximately $80 million altogether. All teams refunded monies to fans who had purchased tickets but did not attend strike games. Although gate receipts and television ratings were down, the owners saved on salaries by paying the replacement players comparatively little. The average owner's profit per game actually rose from $800,000 before the strike to $921,000 during the strike. This profit was temporary, however, because the league has to refund $60 million to the networks over the next two seasons for the one missed weekend of play, the reduced ratings, and the decline in advertising revenues

At a profit of $900,000 per game the owners made about $135,000,000 during the strike, of which they had to pay back $60,000,000. Not bad, especially considering that a full week of games was canceled back then. With the salaries players make today, the NFL owners may actually do far better this time around. It depends on how much preparation the owners can pour in before the season starts.

They're not going to lose money, although the players probably will, like they did in 1987. They just might not make as much as they would have normally. But they'll take short-term losses for long-term gains.

The players need to understand that the owners hold the aces. Even in strikes they will make money as the fans will, by and large, continue to watch the games. They can hold out indefinitely, but the players' and their wives cannot.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 02:28 AM
By the way, if I was an owner I would tell the players "I dare you to strike. There is no other game in town for you, and since I will almost certainly still turn a profit while you're on the picket line, I can hold my breath a helluva lot longer than you can. In fact, I guarantee you that I can outlast you, so if you want to try and play that game with me I will **** you up. So go for it. You need me far more than I need you, and I have plenty of people that want to play for an NFL team to prove it."

yermom
3/16/2011, 02:49 AM
At a profit of $900,000 per game the owners made about $135,000,000 during the strike, of which they had to pay back $60,000,000. Not bad, especially considering that a full week of games was canceled back then. With the salaries players make today, the NFL owners may actually do far better this time around. It depends on how much preparation the owners can pour in before the season starts.

They're not going to lose money, although the players probably will, like they did in 1987. They just might not make as much as they would have normally. But they'll take short-term losses for long-term gains.

The players need to understand that the owners hold the aces. Even in strikes they will make money as the fans will, by and large, continue to watch the games. They can hold out indefinitely, but the players' and their wives cannot.

the climate seems a bit different now. i'll bet they are running the margins a bit thinner this time

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 03:18 AM
the climate seems a bit different now. i'll bet they are running the margins a bit thinner this time

Yes, but that is mostly due to outrageous player salaries. Replacement player salaries can alleviate that problem in a hurry.

waynepayne
3/16/2011, 04:16 AM

This is exactly it

oh and jersey you lost me at "Anybody here listen to Francesa"

OUMallen
3/16/2011, 09:44 AM
I can boil it down to this: Adrian is not very smart at all. He misfired on a bad analogy.

SteelClip49
3/16/2011, 09:51 AM
Never have been an AD fan because of his arrogance at OU and now in the NFL even moreso. I used to show my dislike for him when first joining this board and would get called out on it.

I rest my case on him. He is a disgrace and a bad representative of OU.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/16/2011, 09:59 AM
Never have been an AD fan because of his arrogance at OU and now in the NFL even moreso. I used to show my dislike for him when first joining this board and would get called out on it.

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

Mad Dog Madsen
3/16/2011, 10:01 AM
Maybe you guys shouldn't take every word that every player says so seriously... The NFL lockout is going to get very ugly and AD is pissed. Bad choice of words on his part, but get the f*ck over it!

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 10:08 AM
^ Yea seriously, SteelClit needs to have his Sooner privileges removed immediately. Any real Sooner fan knows AD was never good at saying what he was trying to say.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 10:32 AM
And SteelClit, he's earned the right to be arrogant. He's a modern day ****ing Jim Brown. As a Packer fan, I also have the right to tell you to shut your stupid mouth when you're talking to me.

texaspokieokie
3/16/2011, 10:42 AM
And SteelClit, he's earned the right to be arrogant. He's a modern day ****ing Jim Brown. As a Packer fan, I also have the right to tell you to shut your stupid mouth when you're talking to me.

He's no Jim Brown.

rekamrettuB
3/16/2011, 10:58 AM

His arrogance? Personally I never saw arrogance while he was at OU. He seems pretty down to earth to me for where he could be. Maybe you've seen him in a different light but that's news to me.

And if you are taking this ignorant statement as arrogance you are way off base. It is what it is. He was probably just repeating what he had heard from others but that's no excuse to repeat it.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 10:58 AM

Wait, you're a Packer fan? And you live in Jersey? You don't even go to the Packer's games? Oh, that's rich.

As for AD, no one ever earns the right to be arrogant. I've never warmed up to AD like many other Sooner fans, but I still root for him. But he didn't show any smarts on this subject.

SteelClip49
3/16/2011, 11:07 AM

Listen you gay Jersey Shore loving nasty tanned stuck up closet Whorn...you don't know squat. I have earned the right to say what I want and when I want to. I am always positive toward OU. I have an opinion and my opinions are backed up by others views on the subject. You are a newbie on here so you have not earned the right to call me out. I will burn you everytime.

I win and you lose always.

tator
3/16/2011, 11:18 AM

Guess what normal horses dream of being. Race horses.

NFL players will never garner sympathy over salary as long as their salaries are so far out of line with everyone else's. And for good reason.

TopDawg
3/16/2011, 11:21 AM
It feels like some of you are trying to prove that you can say something more stupid than Adrian.

adoniijahsooner
3/16/2011, 11:22 AM
I agree that he should not have made the analogy; but seriously folks...would any of you look Adrian in the eye, and tell him to STFU!!! Or say any of the other crap yall been talking in this thread?

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 11:43 AM
I agree that he should not have made the analogy; but seriously folks...would any of you look Adrian in the eye, and tell him to STFU!!! Or say any of the other crap yall been talking in this thread?

That's an even dumber statement than Adrian's.

adoniijahsooner
3/16/2011, 11:47 AM
That's an even dumber statement than Adrian's.

Oh, now I see...

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 11:54 AM
Oh, now I see...

Oh, you mean you finally get it? If so, can we now expect to hear less of the moronic "Would you say that to his face" bit?

yermom
3/16/2011, 01:01 PM
Listen you gay Jersey Shore loving nasty tanned stuck up closet Whorn...you don't know squat. I have earned the right to say what I want and when I want to. I am always positive toward OU. I have an opinion and my opinions are backed up by others views on the subject. You are a newbie on here so you have not earned the right to call me out. I will burn you everytime.

dude, you've said borderline retarded things in the past. not all of it i would say is positive toward OU.

your bagging on AD outside of this gaffe is treading on pretty shaky ground.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 01:29 PM
He's no Jim Brown.

LOL He hasn't even hit his prime yet and he's on pace to crush ole Jim statistically. Not to mention his relative competition is worlds tougher. When all is said and done, who is it you think they're going to compare him to? And I never did get an answer, are you a Sooner or a Poke?

Wait, you're a Packer fan? And you live in Jersey? You don't even go to the Packer's games? Oh, that's rich.

Yea I'm probably the only person in the world who is a fan of a team that's too far away to see regularly. You seriously suck at life, and if you have a wife she is probably ugly as sin.

As for AD, no one ever earns the right to be arrogant.

He's a modern day gladiator, and one of the best at that. You may not think he's earned the right to be arrogant, but you also aren't 1/10000000000 the man he is, so who gives a **** what you think.

Do you live in Oklahoma? Because if you do you must be a meth smoking illiterate trailer park trash who ****s his sister, right? I can tell you've never left the midwest if you think the show Jersey Shore represents more than 10% of Jersey. The east coast is where it's at. And it's more my obligation than anything to call you out when you say AD was arrogant at OU (you got an example of that?) and then call him a disgrace and bad representative of OU. Who's the closest horn?

EDIT: I wasn't even going point out how insecure and gay you sound when you say "I have an opinion and my opinions are backed up by others views on the subject", but I didn't see Yermom's post. Look who's got the back up now, bitch. Having any feelings other than love towards AD is a tell tale sign of a closet horn.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/16/2011, 01:34 PM
dude, you've said borderline retarded things in the past. not all of it i would say is positive toward OU.

your bagging on AD outside of this gaffe is treading on pretty shaky ground.

^^^This.

Soonerjeepman
3/16/2011, 01:48 PM

seriously? I wouldn't tell him to STFU (wouldn't say that to anyone...) but I definitely would call into question his statement...not because he is AD but because he is a professional athlete getting paid MILLIONS of dollars...more in 1 yr than most of us will make in a lifetime of work.

and it was just a stupid statement by anyone...

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 02:12 PM
Yea I'm probably the only person in the world who is a fan of a team that's too far away to see regularly.

So you think loyalty is defined by a person turning on the tv? You think that the owners owe you for all that you done for them when you did was turn on a tv?

The way you were carrying on about fan loyalty, I figured you were one of those fans who never missed a game.

He's a modern day gladiator, and one of the best at that. You may not think he's earned the right to be arrogant, but you also aren't 1/10000000000 the man he is.

That won't fly until he's earned the level of education and has done more for people than I have. He's a great football player, but in no way do I consider him better than me.*

* Yes, I realize I'm talking to Java Man here.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 02:33 PM
So you think loyalty is defined by a person turning on the tv? You think that the owners owe you for all that you done for them when you did was turn on a tv?

The way you were carrying on about fan loyalty, I figured you were one of those fans who never missed a game.

Waaaaaaait, I thought you were supposed to be smart or something. Do you not even know that the bulk of the money comes from me turning on the tv? And even if I lived in Green Bay, do you have any idea how hard it would be to get a ticket? Next to the word "loyalty" in the dictionary, there is a picture of a cheesehead.

That won't fly until he's earned the level of education and has done more for people than I have. He's a great football player, but in no way do I consider him better than me.*

Talk about sounding like a stuck up bitch. I wouldn't brag about being an educator in America. Chances are the entertainment he provides is actually more impactful than your teaching abilities. And chances are the people you think you have done something for would have gotten where they were going without you. They just needed you to put a grade on their paper. What do you teach anyway?

AlboSooner
3/16/2011, 02:54 PM
Look, maybe we need to look at this metaphorically. AD maybe overstated his cause but there some merit to his statement.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 03:16 PM
Look, maybe we need to look at this metaphorically. AD maybe overstated his cause but there some merit to his statement.

Of course there is. AD always sucked at talking, so it's a joke people who call themselves Sooners are claiming to be outraged because he made an insensitive statement (for the record if he was white I would be outraged too). But these same people are completely ignoring the fact that he used the phrase "modern day." He didn't say "The NFL is like 18th century slavery." But because he used the phrase "modern day", he's really not that far off. In terms of the physical aspect, the only thing that has ever came close what slaves went through is the physical demands of professional football. The sheer physical pressure these guys face every day is unprecedented. So other than any actual slavery still happening, the owners telling the players more more more for less isn't that far off from "modern day slavery." Lizzy: "but but they don't have to do it!!"

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 03:17 PM
Waaaaaaait, I thought you were supposed to be smart or something. Do you not even know that the bulk of the money comes from me turning on the tv?

Yeah, but it takes zero effort to turn on a tv.

Talk about sounding like a stuck up bitch. I wouldn't brag about being an educator in America. Chances are the entertainment he provides is actually more impactful than your teaching abilities. [LOL!] And chances are the people you think you have done something for would have gotten where they were going without you. [And the people that AD has helped couldn't have done it without him?] They just needed you to put a grade on their paper. What do you teach anyway?

I'm more than an educator. I publish papers in mathematics and mathematics education and have held in-service professional development for well over 2,000 public school teachers.

I also sit on the board of three non-profits devoted to education. I'm not paid for that work, so according to AD I'm a slave. Unlike AD I don't complain.

So no, I don't consider AD better than me, especially since I'm not the one crying to the public about not getting enough money. I certainly hold myself in better standing than one who thinks he's a slave.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 03:23 PM
In terms of the physical aspect, the only thing that has ever came close what slaves went through is the physical demands of professional football. The sheer physical pressure these guys face every day is unprecedented.

Nope. Boxing.

If boxers demanded more money because of the dangers they face, most of us would probably tell them to take up another occupation. At least I hope we would.

tfoolry
3/16/2011, 03:34 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/AD2.jpg

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but it takes zero effort to turn on a tv.

That's completely irrelevant. If I don't use that zero effort, they still won't make all that money Mr. Smartypants.

I'm more than an educator. I publish papers in mathematics and mathematics education and have held in-service professional development for well over 2,000 public school teachers.
I also sit on the board of three non-profits devoted to education.

That sounds very admirable, and I mean that sincerely.

I'm not paid for that work, so according to AD I'm a slave.

Everything you just described is 100% voluntary, and I highly doubt you put anywhere near the same amount of pressure on yourself as he does.

Unlike AD I suck terribly at life. If I had a record for my life it would be 5-7

FIFY

So no, I don't consider AD better than me, especially since I'm not the one crying to the public about not getting enough money. I certainly hold myself in better standing than one who thinks he's a slave.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Nope. Boxing.

If boxers demanded more money because of the dangers they face, most of us would probably tell them to take up another occupation. At least I hope we would.

Boxers don't allow their managers to take more than half their money.

AlboSooner
3/16/2011, 03:41 PM
Jersey, you're wasting your time. Leroy has never been wrong, nor will he ever.

On a side note, the 1960's are not that long ago.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 03:45 PM
Thank you Albo, but that's what makes this so fun. Watching the bull **** he will pull to convince himself he's not wrong.

adoniijahsooner
3/16/2011, 03:46 PM
Oh, you mean you finally get it? If so, can we now expect to hear less of the moronic "Would you say that to his face" bit?

You really wanna do this Leroy?

adoniijahsooner
3/16/2011, 03:53 PM

I am tired Leroy...been up since 2am working like a slave.

cvsooner
3/16/2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.thenation.com/blog/159259/slaves-game-adrian-peterson-and-s-word

Slaves to the Game? Adrian Peterson and the 'S' Word
Dave Zirin | March 16, 2011

Adrian Peterson, the Minnesota Vikings All-Pro running back, “went there,” and now there’s no going back. In a moment of supreme frustration with NFL owners and their lust for the lockout, Peterson said, “It’s modern-day slavery, you know? [1]”

For sportswriters inclined to cozy up to Commissioner Roger Goodell, Peterson’s words were manna from heaven. He’s been called “ungrateful,” “out of touch,” “an idiot” and, in the darker recesses of the blogosphere, far worse. Even those inclined to openly sympathize with the players have stated their “great offense” that Peterson could liken his situation to the horrors of chattel slavery. As Jamil Smith, a very righteous producer at the Rachel Maddow Show, tweeted to me, “I want to hear Adrian Peterson [2] out. I just need him to know that using ‘slavery’ makes it harder for me to hear him.” Fellow players, Ryan Grant and Heath Evans, also took exception, with Grant calling it “a very misinformed statement [3].”

It’s not difficult to understand why some are crushing Adrian Peterson for likening his glamorized career to “modern-day slavery.” But all the criticism in the world doesn’t explain why the metaphor would cross his mind in the first place. It doesn’t explain why other athletes—Curt Flood, Larry Johnson and Warren Sapp among them—have reached to this explosive analogy as a way to articulate their frustrations.

At least two books have already been written that explore this concept: 40 Million Dollar Slaves, by NY Times columnist William Rhoden, and The Slave Side of Sunday, by former NFL player Anthony Prior. Both are stunning testaments to the fact that there is more here than meets the eye. Even if we are repelled by Peterson’s choice of words, it’s worth putting down the torches and trying to understand why this is the analogy that just won’t die, especially in the world of pro football.

To be an African American NFL player is to play in a league where 70% of the players are black and 100% of the owners are white. It’s a league where only 3 percent of head coaches were black until the famous (or infamous) lawyer Johnnie Cochran threatened a mass class-action lawsuit, saying he would “litigate if they do not integrate.” It’s a league where collegiate players hoping to be drafted show up to the NFL combine to be poked, prodded and have various body parts judged and measured. Teams basically do everything short of having someone run their finger along the players’ gums. If you are lucky enough to make the league, you will be blessed with a career that will, on average, last 3.4 years, and cursed with a life expectancy twenty-two years shorter than that of the typical American male. [4] Your contract isn’t guaranteed, so if you do sustain some horrific injury, you are officially yesterday’s trash.

I interviewed former NFL player and Slave Side of Sunday author Anthony Prior several years ago, and this is what he said about the player as slave metaphor: “Black players have created a billion-dollar market but have no voice in the industry, no power. That sounds an awful lot like slavery to me. On plantations slaves were respected for their physical skills but were given no respect as thinking beings. On the football field, we are treated as what appears like gods, but in fact this is just the ‘show and tell’ of the management for their spectators. In reality, what is transpiring is that black athletes are being treated with disrespect and degradation. As soon as we take off that uniform, behind the dressing room doors, we are less than human. We are bought and sold. Traded and drafted, like our ancestors, and the public views this as a sport, ironically the same attitude as people had in the slavery era.”

Prior contended that coaches and other authority figures in the game use racism to bully African-American players in an effort to instill obedience. “I’ve heard coaches call players ‘boy,’ ‘porch monkeys,”sambos,’ ” he said. “Players don’t get tested on their athleticism as much as they get tested on their manhood.

“The intimidation is immense…. I’ve seen players benched because a coach saw them with a white woman, or overheard a criticism of his incompetence, or because a player didn’t go to Bible study. I’ve been in film sessions where coaches would try to get a rise out of players by calling them ‘boy’ or ‘Jemima,’ and players are so conditioned to not jeopardize their place, they just take it.”

What is so bracing about this moment in NFL history is that players aren’t “just taking it” anymore. Attacking Adrian Peterson for using “the s word” is pure distraction from what’s taking place in front of our eyes. Players are demanding to see the owners’ financial ledgers, to choose their own doctors and, for the first time in NFL history, to be treated like fully grown men. It’s remarkable that these twenty-first-century gladiators are praised by the media when they show so-called “manhood” on the field by playing through pain, but derided when they refuse to be treated like children.

Curt Flood, who by 1971 had sacrificed his all-star career in the fight for free agency, once said, “A well-paid slave is nonetheless a slave.” He was excoriated for that statement and inexcusably run out of his sport. Hopefully we can do a little better this time around. Hopefully we can hear the frustration beneath the words.

Aldebaran
3/16/2011, 04:29 PM
The key word was "modern" before slavery. I don't think Adrian meant that NFL players were treated like plantation slaves in the South before that was abolished.

The NFL owners want players to work 2 more games for no additional compensation. The NFL owners treat their players like property.

AD's challenge is twofold. He makes a lot of money of which people are envyous, and whenever a black person ever mentions the word slavery it elicits a backlash of white racial resentment.

Their attempt to be compensated within that system is their battle, and how they feel about that struggle is relevant to them in their position as players. It should come as no surprise that people who do not make nearly as much would not relate to this, and that's basically what the owners are counting on (winning public opinion) so they can cash in on their product at the expense of their workers.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 04:31 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

texaspokieokie
3/16/2011, 04:37 PM
He's no Jim Brown.

jerzee shores

can you demonstrate how AD is on pace to better Jim Brown's stats.

Brown had over 12k yds in 9 seasons. 5 saesons of 14 games & 4 seasons of
12 games.
he averaged 104 ypg & AD avg 95 ypg. Brown avg 5.2 ypc & AD avg 4.8 ypc

AD is 27, & it may or may not get better. of course, it also depends on how good the team is for which he is playing.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 04:39 PM
The key word was "modern" before slavery. I don't think Adrian meant that NFL players were treated like plantation slaves in the South before that was abolished.

Wait, are you trying to say he wasn't directly comparing his situation to plantation slaves in the South???? :rolleyes:

Their attempt to be compensated within that system is their battle, and how they feel about that struggle is relevant to them in their position as players. It should come as no surprise that people who do not make nearly as much would not relate to this, and that's basically what the owners are counting on (winning public opinion) so they can cash in on their product at the expense of their workers.

But what makes this so incredibly wrong is the tiny little fact that the workers also are the product. **** the owners.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 04:46 PM
jerzee shores

12 games.
he averaged 104 ypg & AD avg 95 ypg. Brown avg 5.2 ypc & AD avg 4.6 ypc.

AD is 27, & it may or may not get better. of course, it also depends on how good the team is for which he is playing.

Well if you had a football brain you would also know that AD's relative competition is worlds better. AD being that close in ypg and ypc is ****ing remarkable. Jim Brown looked like a man amongst boys, because he was. AD is a man amongst really really big, fast, and ruthless men. Let me put it to you this way. If you throw AD in a time machine and start him over ole Jim, he would average 117 yards per carry.

But I still am just dying to know if you're really a Sooner fan who put the word "pokie" in his name?

Aldebaran
3/16/2011, 04:47 PM
I agree. They are the workers and the product. But I meant product as the team (comprised of the workers) that fans enjoy and pay money to see.

What is interesting is that people who are hourly (ticket takers, people who clean the stands, sell the t-shirts, work the concessions) will all be compensated for additional work that comes from additional games. Owners get more revenue. Why not the players who have to take additional punishment to their bodies?

texaspokieokie
3/16/2011, 04:51 PM
Well if you had a football brain you would also know that AD's relative competition is worlds better. Jim Brown looked like a man amongst boys, because he was. AD is a man amongst really really big, fast, and ruthless men. Let me put it to you this way. If you throw AD in a time machine and start him over Jim, he would average 117 yards per carry.

But I still am just dying to know if you're really a Sooner fan who put the word "pokie" in his name?

to me, pokie okie means, a slow person from OK. that fits me perfectly ,
but i wonder why you care ??

So he's not really catching or matching JB's stats. you just made that up. just pure speculation on your part.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 05:07 PM
to me, pokie okie means, a slow person from OK. that fits me perfectly ,
but i wonder why you care ??

I don't care, just pointing out how stupid it is (thanks for pointing out how "slow" you are so I didn't have to). Maybe I'll change my name to burntorangesooner.

So he's not really catching or matching JB's stats. you just made that up. just pure speculation on your part.

AD has played 4 seasons. Jim played 9. AD is just shy of half of Jim's yards. AD has 2 shy of half Jim's touchdowns. Barring a major injury, I would say AD has 8-10 years left in him. So yes, AD is going to take a giant steaming pile of dung onto Jim's stats. Unless you're talking about yards per, which in my mind he already has.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 05:12 PM
I agree. They are the workers and the product. But I meant product as the team (comprised of the workers) that fans enjoy and pay money to see.

Yea, I got what you were saying, and was in agreement. I was just pointing out that when you compound that with the fact that without the players there is no product (before you say anything Lizzy, I mean there is a really really ****ty product), it's even more ridiculous that people are actually siding with the owners.

What is interesting is that people who are hourly (ticket takers, people who clean the stands, sell the t-shirts, work the concessions) will all be compensated for additional work that comes from additional games. Owners get more revenue. Why not the players who have to take additional punishment to their bodies?

Ask Lizzy

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 05:16 PM
Boxers don't allow their managers to take more than half their money.

You show your financial sense here. Do you realize the difference in capital it takes to run an NFL team as opposed to promoting a boxer?

Besides, you need to look into the personal finances of a certain Don King before making that kind of statement.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 05:17 PM
I am tired Leroy...been up since 2am working like a slave.

You need to go on strike.

MR2-Sooner86
3/16/2011, 05:17 PM
He's a modern day gladiator, and one of the best at that. You may not think he's earned the right to be arrogant, but you also aren't 1/10000000000 the man he is, so who gives a **** what you think.

Gladiators fought to the death by literally trying to kill each other. If we still had football at the turn of the century with leather helmets and less rules, your post might hold some water. Not much, but some.

As for being better, ah yes, got to love how Americans put their sports figures on a pedestal because excellence in children's games is the measurement of a person.

The sheer physical pressure these guys face every day is unprecedented. So other than any actual slavery still happening, the owners telling the players more more more for less isn't that far off from "modern day slavery."

Are they picking cotton in the fields? No, they're getting paid to play a game of football which isn't even as bad as being a UFC fighter or motocross racer. What do they want them to work? Two extra games so around two extra weeks of practice and such? Cry me a god damn river.

He signed a contract and is paid $6.75 million per year and was given $17 million when he signed it. He's being asked to work two extra weeks without a pay raise each year. How is this unfair. What compensation should he get?

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 05:24 PM
But what makes this so incredibly wrong is the tiny little fact that the workers also are the product. **** the owners.

The game is the product, not the players.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 05:29 PM
[url]
To be an African American NFL player is to play in a league where 70% of the players are black and 100% of the owners are white. It’s a league where only 3 percent of head coaches were black until the famous (or infamous) lawyer Johnnie Cochran threatened a mass class-action lawsuit, saying he would “litigate if they do not integrate.” It’s a league where collegiate players hoping to be drafted show up to the NFL combine to be poked, prodded and have various body parts judged and measured. Teams basically do everything short of having someone run their finger along the players’ gums. If you are lucky enough to make the league, you will be blessed with a career that will, on average, last 3.4 years, and cursed with a life expectancy twenty-two years shorter than that of the typical American male. [4] Your contract isn’t guaranteed, so if you do sustain some horrific injury, you are officially yesterday’s trash.

This just raises the question: If the life of the average NFL player is so demeaning and horrific, why are so many wanting to join the NFL so badly? AD even left college early to join the plantation.

They chose their lot. Ergo, they have no complaints.

How many in here would be willing to undergo a physical like the NFL uses for (say) $700,000 per year?

The one distinction about slavery that the writer misses is that slaves were not free men. If you use the word "slave," it is understood that you are talking about someone who is forced to labor for someone else. AD is free to leave the NFL at any time, and as long as he is the use of the word "slave" is an abomination and inexcusable.

sooner59
3/16/2011, 05:37 PM
jerzee shores

12 games.
he averaged 104 ypg & AD avg 95 ypg. Brown avg 5.2 ypc & AD avg 4.6 ypc.

Actually AD is currently 25 years old. He will be 26 in less than a week, though.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 05:37 PM

Okay, I'll answer.

They didn't get the extra pay because they didn't negotiate successfully for it. Why? Because they haven't done enough to convince the NFL they're worth it.

Now, they are going after the money by striking, which is a form of negotiating. Okay, fine. But they shouldn't cry and ask the public for sympathy or support. It's THEIR deal, not ours. If they want to strike in hopes of working out a better deal, I have no complaints. But I am not going to side with them because I don't really give a **** about their problems.

Frankly, because they whine and snivel so much I now hope they lose. Not that I have a dog in this fight, but it would be nice to see them get their comeuppance.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 06:23 PM
You show your financial sense here. Do you realize the difference in capital it takes to run an NFL team as opposed to promoting a boxer?

No I don't, and you can go ahead and show me some numbers, but I would imagine the life of an NFL owner ain't much different from that of a boxers promoter. Promote product (other people). People pay to see product (other people). Get rich off of product (other people).

Besides, you need to look into the personal finances of a certain Don King before making that kind of statement.

Yea, should we make a bet that he never once collected more than half of the purse?

Gladiators fought to the death by literally trying to kill each other. If we still had football at the turn of the century with leather helmets and less rules, your post might hold some water. Not much, but some.

So if I strapped you up in today's injury proof equipment, you would willingly run a flat post across the middle while Brian Dawkings runs full speed from more than 20 yards away with the purpose of hitting you as hard as humanly possible? Because these "modern day" gladiators sure do, and the ensuing violence we love to watch sets us into just as much of a frenzy as it did the blood thirsty Romans. M-O-D-E-R-N D-A-Y.

As for being better, ah yes, got to love how Americans put their sports figures on a pedestal because excellence in children's games is the measurement of a person.

I can tell you never played football.

Are they picking cotton in the fields? No, they're getting paid to play a game of football which isn't even as bad as being a UFC fighter or motocross racer.

M-O-D-E-R-N D-A-Y. And I would sure as hell rather pick cotton in a field all day than strap up with these monsters. Again, I can tell you never played football.

What do they want them to work? Two extra games so around two extra weeks of practice and such? Cry me a god damn river.

OK, so two weeks of of an NFL season equates to about 6 weeks of your full time job. But I'm sure if your boss told you he needs you to work the next 6 weeks for free you would be cool with it.

He signed a contract and is paid $6.75 million per year and was given $17 million when he signed it. He's being asked to work two extra weeks without a pay raise each year. How is this unfair. What compensation should he get?

This is the perfect example of a numbnuts using "but they already make millions just to play a game!". First of all, I would love to see you work 2 weeks in his world. Second, throwing out his lucrative salary is all good and dandy until you realize what the owners make. He's being asked to take a paycut by a billionaire who really doesn't have to do ****. And forget the actual numbers, when in the history of the god damn world was it ok to cut employee salaries when your business is thriving?

The game is the product, not the players.

No, the game being played at it's highest level is the product. Therefore, the players are the product. Do you know any CFL, USFL, or Arena League fans?

This just raises the question: If the life of the average NFL player is so demeaning and horrific, why are so many wanting to join the NFL so badly?

Because that's the reality of it. The greatest sport on earth also happens to be the most brutal. You can tell yourself whatever you want, but if you were any of these players you would be fighting the same fight.

The one distinction about slavery that the writer misses is that slaves were not free men. If you use the word "slave," it is understood that you are talking about someone who is forced to labor for someone else.

Not if you use the phrase "modern day" in front of it, and are smart enough to realize it wasn't a literal connection. "Well there isn't any literal connection." [/Walter Sobchak]

AD is free to leave the NFL at any time, and as long as he is the use of the word "slave" is an abomination and inexcusable.

So if you were AD, you would shut up and take whatever you were told to take? You must not be human.

Okay, I'll answer.

They didn't get the extra pay because they didn't negotiate successfully for it. Why? Because they haven't done enough to convince the NFL they're worth it.

LOL Yea, that must be it. The owners just need a good convincing that the players are worth it. It couldn't possibly be that awful little thing all us humans have called "greed." You are such a clown.

waynepayne
3/16/2011, 06:37 PM
Don't be silly, Adrian Peterson.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/7336/129393323076d0.jpg

still the best post in the whoooooooole thread.

agoo758
3/16/2011, 06:49 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but I read the article. If Adrian ever meets former slaves when he dies and goes to the afterlife, he owes them a big BIG apology.

agoo758
3/16/2011, 06:51 PM
This just raises the question: If the life of the average NFL player is so demeaning and horrific, why are so many wanting to join the NFL so badly? AD even left college early to join the plantation.

How many in here would be willing to undergo a physical like the NFL uses for (say) $700,000 per year?

The one distinction about slavery that the writer misses is that slaves were not free men. If you use the word "slave," it is understood that you are talking about someone who is forced to labor for someone else. AD is free to leave the NFL at any time, and as long as he is the use of the word "slave" is an abomination and inexcusable.

Absolutely.

Sure, being a professional athlete is a very demanding life, but that is the price you have to pay if you want to make millions of dollars and be famous. That is why so few in the world get to play a sport for a living.

MR2-Sooner86
3/16/2011, 06:56 PM
So if I strapped you up in today's injury proof equipment, you would willingly run a flat post across the middle while Brian Dawkings runs full speed from more than 20 yards away with the purpose of hitting you as hard as humanly possible? Because these "modern day" gladiators sure do, and the ensuing violence we love to watch sets us into just as much of a frenzy as it did the blood thirsty Romans. M-O-D-E-R-N D-A-Y.

Sure, I've done football and taken some hard hits. I lived.

Getting in a ring with a sword and fighting until I'm dead? No thanks.

I can tell you never played football.

Ad hominem, try again.

M-O-D-E-R-N D-A-Y. And I would sure as hell rather pick cotton in a field all day than strap up with these monsters. Again, I can tell you never played football.

Again, ad hominem, stick with the issues.

I've worked on the farm in the summer and I've done summer football practice. Yeah, they both suck.

OK, so two weeks of of an NFL season equates to about 6 weeks of your full time job. But I'm sure if your boss told you he needs you to work the next 6 weeks for free you would be cool with it.

Hasty generalization, again, stick with the issue.

Big difference, I'm hourly and they're salary. I've known many people who are salary who've had to work overtime and not get paid for it. It happens sometimes.

As stated with AD, he's getting paid nicely each year so it's not like he's hurting for money compared to another profession.

This is the perfect example of a numbnuts using "but they already make millions just to play a game!". First of all, I would love to see you work 2 weeks in his world.

Appeal to ridicule and red herring rolled into one.

Second, throwing out his lucrative salary is all good and dandy until you realize what the owners make. He's being asked to take a paycut by a billionaire who really doesn't have to do ****.

Appeal to pity.

How's he taking a pay cut? He signed a contract and is making $6.75 million and that won't change until his contract is up. Where is he he getting money taken away?

And forget the actual numbers, when in the history of the god damn world was it ok to cut employee salaries when your business is thriving?

Who said they're cutting their salaries? Again, he signed a contract for six years to be paid $6.75 million per year. He's not making any less because if he did that'd be a breach of contract. So how is he losing money?

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 07:27 PM
No I don't, and you can go ahead and show me some numbers, but I would imagine the life of an NFL owner ain't much different from that of a boxers promoter. Promote product (other people). People pay to see product (other people). Get rich off of product (other people).

In terms of expenses and payroll, there is no comparison. Don King Productions only has 30 employees; Jerry Jones has 216 employees.

And Jerry had to purchase his organization at $150 million.

Yea, should we make a bet that he never once collected more than half of the purse?

Doesn't matter, because Don King's expenses are a tiny fraction of Jerry Jones'. Ye who wants their pay based on gross revenues rather than profits doesn't understand business. A company can have monstrous gross revenues and still make no money.

The issue here is how much does each promoter pay in terms of how much profit they make. There is no comparison here: Don King.

Doing either one of them for millions per year and the opportunity to quit anytime you want sounds far better than what real slaves had to do.

I would either be cool with it or quit. I wouldn't publicly snivel about it. It isn't the public's problem.

No, the game being played at it's highest level is the product. Therefore, the players are the product. Do you know any CFL, USFL, or Arena League fans?

In 1987 they completely changed the players to journeymen, and people still went to the games. And those were only temps -- if the replacements were announced as permanent viewership would have even been higher.

Fans don't care about the players as much as you think. As I said before, if a Redskins player all of a sudden became a Cowboy, the Redskins players would no longer care about him and the Cowboys' fans would cheer him on as one of their own. The fans will cheer wildly for anyone out on the field, no matter who it is. It's the uniform and the organization, not the individuals.

Players failed to understand this in 1987 and paid big time. You haven't learned the lesson either.

Because that's the reality of it. The greatest sport on earth also happens to be the most brutal. You can tell yourself whatever you want, but if you were any of these players you would be fighting the same fight.

Actually, the fatalities in auto racing are pretty dramatic, with some of them downright sickening. If you don't believe me, I'll post a vid of a driver burning to death in a French Grand Prix race.

And air racing is pretty bad too. Hell, there have been 19 killed at the Reno annual event alone. 19!! (Three in one day.)

And race car drivers have struck before. I worked in the pits during one strike year back in the mid 1970s (San Jose). The big difference is that the drivers didn't cry boo-hoo to the public and didn't compare themselves to slaves. They just decided that the money wasn't worth it and not to drive. They have that right. (Of course, these drivers lost money each driving. They just decided that they were losing too much money.)

LOL Yea, that must be it. The owners just need a good convincing that the players are worth it. It couldn't possibly be that awful little thing all us humans have called "greed." You are such a clown.

Greed or no greed, owners will pay the players big money if they think they need them. That's why players are paid so exorbitantly now. But there is a limit, and the players may have exceeded it.

C&CDean
3/16/2011, 07:48 PM

You've been in that POS town Pittsburg way too long. Go PACK!!

Peterson has signed my kids' shirts, their pics of him, etc. while in the middle of all kinds of family obligations. We were in Dallas a couple years ago for OU/TX, and he set his young daughter down to come over and take pics/sign my kids' and grand kids' shirts and crap. He's no saint, and pretty damn stupid for popping off with the whole slave thing, but he's a pretty decent guy.

A Sooner in Texas
3/16/2011, 07:50 PM

Is there a blue moon tonight? Because I agree.

There is certainly modern-day slavery in the world, but it ain't in the NFL. You don't define slaves as people who willingly go to work for "Massa," and you certainly don't define them as making fat salaries. Like Leroy said, AD and the other players can leave any time they want.
Real slaves cannot.

sooner59
3/16/2011, 07:53 PM
I met him his freshmen year. Seemed like a decent human being to me. He was more than friendly and seemed happy to meet me.

SteelClip49
3/16/2011, 08:10 PM
LOL He hasn't even hit his prime yet and he's on pace to crush ole Jim statistically. Not to mention his relative competition is worlds tougher. When all is said and done, who is it you think they're going to compare him to? And I never did get an answer, are you a Sooner or a Poke?

Yea I'm probably the only person in the world who is a fan of a team that's too far away to see regularly. You seriously suck at life, and if you have a wife she is probably ugly as sin.

Do you live in Oklahoma? Because if you do you must be a meth smoking illiterate trailer park trash who ****s his sister, right? I can tell you've never left the midwest if you think the show Jersey Shore represents more than 10% of Jersey. The east coast is where it's at. And it's more my obligation than anything to call you out when you say AD was arrogant at OU (you got an example of that?) and then call him a disgrace and bad representative of OU. Who's the closest horn?

EDIT: I wasn't even going point out how insecure and gay you sound when you say "I have an opinion and my opinions are backed up by others views on the subject", but I didn't see Yermom's post. Look who's got the back up now, bitch. Having any feelings other than love towards AD is a tell tale sign of a closet horn.

So, you are a fan of OU but you insult the state of Oklahoma. Real smart there dingleberry.

SteelClip49
3/16/2011, 08:20 PM

Peterson has signed my kids' shirts, their pics of him, etc. while in the middle of all kinds of family obligations. We were in Dallas a couple years ago for OU/TX, and he set his young daughter down to come over and take pics/sign my kids' and grand kids' shirts and crap. He's no saint, and pretty damn stupid for popping off with the whole slave thing, but he's a pretty decent guy.

You've met me Dean. I was born, raised and have lived in Oklahoma all my life. I like the Steelers; always have. I have a lot of family from there.

Now, I stand by my opinions on Peterson. Maybe he has changed in his demeanor since then so that's great in what you have experienced. I just never cared for him, neever really will.

Oh, and you need to seriously tell jerseysooner to watch himself with his comments. I don't appreciate a newbie negging me and leaving the comment...

"AD would rape your wife and eat your children."

I Am Right
3/16/2011, 08:37 PM
10,000,000 this year, yeah working for the man. Geeez

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 08:59 PM
Oh come one Steel boy how did you not laugh at that? If you think that was taking it too far my bad. As for:

So, you are a fan of OU but you insult the state of Oklahoma. Real smart there dingleberry.

If you want to label me as the 5% that disgrace my state, then I have no problem doing the same to you. I have no devotion to the state of Oklahoma, only to the Sooners of Oklahoma.

SteelClip49
3/16/2011, 10:19 PM
in order for you to be a fan of Oklahoma, you must attend games and be a part of the culture. From the looks of it, you are more of a Rutgers type.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 10:22 PM
I thought you grew up and lived in Oklahoma all your life? You're not allowed to be a Steelers fan.

Sabanball
3/16/2011, 10:30 PM
Just yet another reason for me to continue to ignore the NFL and spend my dollars following the college game.

jersey sooner
3/16/2011, 10:37 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

ouwasp
3/17/2011, 12:40 AM
Didn't read any of the thread, but my $0.02 is this:

AD should conduct a press conference ASAP and admit to making one of the dumbest comments in NFL history. Just shrug his shoulders and say he was being completely thoughtless or else he wouldn't have embarassed himself and the Vikings in this manner.

Curly Bill
3/17/2011, 12:59 AM
I met him his freshmen year. Seemed like a decent human being to me. He was more than friendly and seemed happy to meet me.

Well yeah, you're not a slave owner. ;)

sooner59
3/17/2011, 01:16 AM
Well yeah, you're not a slave owner. ;)

You don't know that.

texaspokieokie
3/17/2011, 07:49 AM
Actually AD is currently 25 years old. He will be 26 in less than a week, though.

rite you are, my bad !!!

King Barry's Back
3/17/2011, 08:27 AM
Players come and go a lot more than the owners do. Every year there is a new crop of talented players ready to play...the game will live on whether Adrian plays another down or not. If the NFL can continue after Barry Sanders, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice all retired then it will live on after Adrian Peterson, Tom Brady and so on retire as well.

Yes, it is literally true that there would be no football w/o football players, but it isn't very hard to find people willing to strap it up and go play.

Let's the top 100 players in the league were, for some reason, kicked out, or injured or what have you -- would the league cease operations?

No, it wouldn't. THey would go out and draft/sign another 100 players and go on like nothing had happened.

Yes, the level of play would be a bit lower, and some fans might grumble, but there would be little visible change.

If the number were 500, or 1000, or whatever -- the level of play would decline more but they could still find players.

Really, the players in my book have little leverage.

fossil
3/17/2011, 08:51 AM
Dramatic, yes. Bad comparison, yes. But if you read his entire quote, which I'm frankly surprised that they published, it's pretty clear he at least has a reason for thinking the way he does and he states his case relatively well.

:( YGBSM!! Anyone who drags down 10.2 million clams per year and compares his situation to slavery, ought to be checked out at the nearest mental ward. I never thought I'd hear AD lose complete touch with reality, but it seems he has. My respect for him has been tarnished somewhat. Sad!!

Aries
3/17/2011, 10:03 AM
I just want to clarify a point I've seen a couple of times in this thread. I'll preface it by saying I'm not taking either side... the owners have a financial investment and take the financial risks... they are entitled to a return on that. The players are what people pay to see, they are entitled to a share for that. Eventually, they'll come to an agreement on how much each should get, and I'm okay with whatever they work out.

But... as far as extending the season. The owners are not technically asking to extend anything, they are asking to convert two pre-season games to regular season games. So there are no "extra practices", the season is no longer in terms of start of training camp to Super Bowl. There may not be that much extra revenue, most teams I think require season ticket holders to pay for those games already. There may be some increase for individual seats, I'm not sure. If pre-season games are included, they play 20 now and would play 20 under a new agreement, but it would be 2-18 instead of 4-16.

In real terms though, the starting players never play full games in pre-season, so they would have to put more effort into those games than they currently do. That's pretty much the difference.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/17/2011, 10:14 AM
Nuh uh.

So jersey is banned now? :)

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 11:01 AM
Yes, it is literally true that there would be no football w/o football players, but it isn't very hard to find people willing to strap it up and go play.

Without authors, publishing companies would have no product. Yet authors don't get 50% of revenue. They don't even get 20%. The publishing companies get to keep the vast majority of revenue.

Without musicians, record labels have no product. But anyone that thinks that music groups get a lion's share of the revenue is smoking stuff stronger than most rock groups smoke.

The NFL is no different. If anything, its players get a far bigger cut than the business norm, so they shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, especially given their extremely narrow talents and lack of other opportunities. If the owners wanted to pay them half of what they currently earn they could.

yermom
3/17/2011, 11:18 AM
authors and musicians can do more and more of that themselves though

AlboSooner
3/17/2011, 11:42 AM
Didn't read any of the thread, but my $0.02 is this:

AD should conduct a press conference ASAP and admit to making one of the dumbest comments in NFL history. Just shrug his shoulders and say he was being completely thoughtless or else he wouldn't have embarassed himself and the Vikings in this manner.

Jim traber is that you? AD owes nothing to you or me. He can exercise his free speech rights anytime he wants, and you can choose not to spend your dollars watching him. There is no possible way for you to know all the stupid things said in NFL's history, Jim.

AD qualified his statement, with modern-day. His statement is overstated but has some merit. But he owes no apology to anyone. It's funny to see the usually anti-PC crowd whine and moan about something an athlete said. This celebrity worship thing is getting out of hand. People say all kinds of stupid things on here and people dont demand apologies, because they're not celebrities.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 11:50 AM
authors and musicians can do more and more of that themselves though

You're proving my point. The ability to seek alternative means of publishing would drive up the amount that they could demand from publishers, yet publishers give them very little. NFL players, because there is only one game in town, place themselves in a seller's market. They're damn lucky they get what they get. If the NFL decided to pay only $300,000 per year no matter how good, players would still line up to join. What else can they do?

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 11:57 AM
Jim traber is that you? AD owes nothing to you or me. He can exercise his free speech rights anytime he wants, and you can choose not to spend your dollars watching him. There is no possible way for you to know all the stupid things said in NFL's history, Jim.

AD qualified his statement, with modern-day. His statement is overstated but has some merit. But he owes no apology to anyone. It's funny to see the usually anti-PC crowd whine and moan about something an athlete said. This celebrity worship thing is getting out of hand. People say all kinds of stupid things on here and people dont demand apologies, because they're not celebrities.

He doesn't have to apologize if he doesn't want to. You're not going to get any argument there.

Frankly, you won't see me moan about what he said, for he didn't hurt my feelings any. I find it hilarious. It does illustrate, however, his extraordinarily myopic world view. After all, if he is a slave, then what does that make us?

His statement also highlights a certain race-baiting habit of successful minorities when engaged in financial disputes.

And he played right into the hands of the owners. They can now point to the fans and say, "You see?!?! They're spoiled!" The owners couldn't buy this kind of leverage if they tried. So the owners are not upset with AD one iota; the other players are, however. AD's comments were the last thing they wanted to hear.

BTW, there is no point in apologizing now. The owners got what they wanted and will use it, as they should.

SoonerShay
3/17/2011, 11:59 AM
Without authors, publishing companies would have no product. Yet authors don't get 50% of revenue. They don't even get 20%. The publishing companies get to keep the vast majority of revenue.

Without musicians, record labels have no product. But anyone that thinks that music groups get a lion's share of the revenue is smoking stuff stronger than most rock groups smoke.

The NFL is no different. If anything, its players get a far bigger cut than the business norm, so they shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, especially given their extremely narrow talents and lack of other opportunities. If the owners wanted to pay them half of what they currently earn they could.

Please don't bring up other people getting screwed as basis for why someone else should also be screwed. I happen to be in the music business and I liken it to legal prostitution. I do most of the work and you get most of the money. Except the music industry actually has competing labels and on top of that independent labels. If you don't want to pay me what I'm worth, I can find a way to pay myself.

The NFL is the only game in town.

AlboSooner
3/17/2011, 12:03 PM
BTW, there is no point in apologizing now. The owners got what they wanted and will use it, as they should.

Good point.

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 12:12 PM
Please don't bring up other people getting screwed as basis for why someone else should also be screwed.

No one is getting screwed.

I happen to be in the music business and I liken it to legal prostitution. I do most of the work and you get most of the money. Except the music industry actually has competing labels and on top of that independent labels. If you don't want to pay me what I'm worth, I can find a way to pay myself.

Then why aren't you doing it?

Why does any musician sign with a label if they are getting screwed? Because the work it takes to promote a musical act is hard work and expensive.

Sometimes rock groups form their own labels. So they give out really good deals, right? Hell no. They revert back to the same model used by their former label. Because once they get involved in the business they find out all that is involved in publishing music.

Right now the Internet is allowing groups to promote themselves. They're not making any more money this way than in the past, because they don't have the capital to push their presence above that of their competition.

The NFL is the only game in town.

Exactly. This is why the NFL players should count their lucky stars.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/17/2011, 12:16 PM

agreed

cccasooner2
3/17/2011, 05:21 PM
:( YGBSM!! Anyone who drags down 10.2 million clams per year and compares his situation to slavery, ought to be checked out at the nearest mental ward. I never thought I'd hear AD lose complete touch with reality, but it seems he has. My respect for him has been tarnished somewhat. Sad!!

Perhaps he just does not connect with people singing Jewish Sprituals in the cotton fields or while loading up a paddle wheeler on the Mississippi.

Howzit
3/17/2011, 05:27 PM
Any player that feels he is getting a raw deal is free to quit at any time.

The end.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/17/2011, 05:35 PM
A quick PS i made

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6142/slaveowner.gif (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/slaveowner.gif/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

cleller
3/17/2011, 06:26 PM
My favorite part is the way the NFL players are forced to sleep in tar paper shacks with no electricity or water, eat only what they grow, and be subjected to a bullwhip, all for just several millions of dollars every year.

How can this go on in the the 21st Century? If they control their finances wisely, they would have to endure this for an entire year before making more money than most of us will earn in a lifetime.

I can't type anymore, this is just too upsetting for me.

yermom
3/17/2011, 07:15 PM
Any player that feels he is getting a raw deal is free to quit at any time.

The end.

tell that to Ricky Williams :D

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 07:30 PM
Lizards who use the words "Inexcusable" probably shouldn't post stupid **** on the internet. They should maybe slow down a bit and maybe even run anything they are going to post on the internet by a panel of experts....and then they can start in with asking for Death Sentences for Indentured Servants.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/17/2011, 08:18 PM
nm

Leroy Lizard
3/17/2011, 09:27 PM
Lizards who use the words "Inexcusable" probably shouldn't post stupid **** on the internet. They should maybe slow down a bit....

Oh, blow it out your ***.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/18/2011, 11:02 AM
Latrell Sprewell after being offered 3 years, $21 million:

"I got my family to feed".

Lesson: These guys say some stupid ****.

correction
Latrell Spreewell after TURNING DOWN 3 for $21Million.

wonder what he is feeding them now?