PDA

View Full Version : Football needs to change

Aldebaran
3/15/2011, 11:55 AM
Thought this article was innersting...
----------------------

Dave Duerson was once a world-class athlete, a perfect physical specimen whose pro football career included Super Bowl championships with the Chicago Bears and New York Giants. Friends and former teammates would tell you that he was also a bright guy — a graduate of Notre Dame with a degree in economics and, at least for awhile, a successful businessman.

When he shot himself to death in his South Florida home last month, the despondent Duerson, who was 50, fired the bullet into his chest rather than into his head. He did not want to further damage his brain. As he explained in text messages and a handwritten note, the former all-pro safety wanted his brain tissue studied, presumably to determine whether he had been suffering from a devastating degenerative disease that is taking a terrible toll on what appears to be an increasing number of pro football players and other athletes.

As The Times has reported, Duerson wrote, “Please, see that my brain is given to the N.F.L.’s brain bank.”

Professional football has a big, big problem on its hands, and I’m not talking about the lockout that is jeopardizing the 2011 season. The game is chewing up players like a meat grinder. The evidence is emerging of an extraordinary number of players struggling with lifelong physical debilitation, depression, dementia and many other serious problems linked to their playing days.

Duerson’s concern was believed to have been centered on chronic traumatic encephalopathy, an incurable disease associated with depression and dementia in athletes who played violent sports like football and boxing. A number of retired football players, including some who took their own lives, were found to have had the disease, which can only be diagnosed post-mortem.

Pro football, the nation’s most popular sport, had been ratcheting up its violence quotient for years. Fans loved it. But a backlash has developed as more and more stories come to light about the awful price retired players are paying for a sport that increasingly resembles Colosseum-like combat. Few players escape unscathed after years of brain-rattling, joint-crippling, bone-breaking, consciousness-altering collisions. Many live out their lives in chronic pain, varying degrees of paralysis, and all manner of cognitive and emotional distress.

The N.F.L. has taken some remedial steps, especially in the area of head injuries. But pro football, always violent, is now violent in the extreme, and there is some question as to whether that violent style of play — and the consequences that flow from it — can really be changed. Paul Tagliabue, a former N.F.L. commissioner, told The New Yorker about the comments of a group of former players who had looked closely at the way defensive play has changed. “They raised the idea,” said Tagliabue, “that it was no longer tackle football. It was becoming collision football. The players looked like bionic men.”

I am an enormous fan of football, but I get a queasy feeling when I see one of those tremendous hits that leaves the opposing player lying as if lifeless on the turf. Or when I read about players like Andre Waters, formerly of the Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals, who shot himself to death in 2006 at the age of 44. A forensic pathologist said Waters’s brain tissue looked like that of an 85-year-old man. It turned out that he had been suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the disease that Duerson may have feared.

This is an enormous tragedy. So many players are suffering in the shadows. They need much more help from the N.F.L., the players’ union and the myriad others cashing in on a sport that has become a multibillion-dollar phenomenon. And big changes are needed in the rules, equipment and culture of the sport to cut down on the carnage inflicted on current and future players.

I once was a big fan of boxing. I marveled at the breathless, elaborately detailed stories my parents’ generation told about Joe Louis and the unparalleled Sugar Ray Robinson. I followed Muhammad Ali’s career from beginning to end. I read biographies of the great boxers of the 20th century.

But I also saw the televised fight in March 1962 in which Emile Griffith beat Benny (Kid) Paret so savagely that Paret died 10 days later. Robinson also killed a man in the ring, Jimmy Doyle, in a fight in 1947. And it’s no secret that even the greatest fighters tended to end up in bad shape, demented or enfeebled from the punishment of their trade — Louis, Robinson, Ali, so many others. I haven’t been able to watch the sport in years.

It’s a very bad sign that chronic traumatic encephalopathy, long associated with boxing, is now linked to football. With the carnage increasingly emerging from the shadows, there is no guarantee that football’s magical hold on the public will last. Players are not just suffering, some are dying. The sport needs to change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/opinion/15herbert.html?_r=1&hp

Op-Ed Columnist
The Sport Needs to Change
By BOB HERBERT
Published: March 14, 2011

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 11:57 AM
It's more than football that needs to change....it's recognizing someone who is damaged and keeping them from hurting themselves.

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 12:18 PM
Professional football has a big, big problem on its hands, and I’m not talking about the lockout that is jeopardizing the 2011 season. The game is chewing up players like a meat grinder.

The fans will watch the games no matter what. There will always be tons of players wanting to step on the field. Until the courts decide to get involved (and I don't think they should), I don't see why the NFL is in such hot water.

OU Engineer
3/15/2011, 12:28 PM
I agree that it might be causing serious long term affects.

However no one is forcing these athletes to go out there and get paid millions to throw their body around. The choice to knowingly put themselves in harms way is theirs and theirs alone.

It's isnt like working in a factory where asbestos is silently attacking every day and no one knows. Those guys know the sport is inherently dangerous and choose to play for the money, the fame, and hopefully the fact that they love the game as much as we do.

pappy
3/15/2011, 12:28 PM
The fans will watch the games no matter what. There will always be tons of players wanting to step on the field. Until the courts decide to get involved (and I don't think they should), I don't see why the NFL is in such hot water.

I'm with Leroy here...players know the risks going into it and they choose to play or not to play they aren't being forced to do it. Also as was seen this past season the league is doing everything they can think of to help prevent head injuries.

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 02:00 PM
Here's an idea for the owners:

"The single biggest factor in the mental health of a veteran player is the length of time they play. Therefore, we have decided to institute a four-year term limit on all players out of concern for their health."

Watch the NFLPA howl about that one. But it would have enormous positive benefits.

OUinFLA
3/15/2011, 02:08 PM
Here's an idea for the owners:

"The single biggest factor in the mental health of a veteran player is the length of time they play. Therefore, we have decided to institute a four-year term limit on all players out of concern for their health."

Watch the NFLPA howl about that one. But it would have enormous positive benefits.

Could we lump Congress in there too?

OK2U
3/15/2011, 02:09 PM
Almost as interesting as your spelling of inneresting

pphilfran
3/15/2011, 02:34 PM
We will be hearing much more about systems similar to this...

The HIT™ SYSTEM monitors and records every significant incidence of head impact sustained during a football game or practice. The system measures the location, magnitude, duration and direction of head acceleration. When it detects a Suspect Impact Profile™ (SIP™) for a particular player, an alert pager alerts the medical or training staff.

http://www.riddell.com/srs/learnMore.html

I would guess that sometime in the future we will see a carbon fiber helmet to lower weight...then increase the diameter a couple of inches and add more padding...

Head injuries are turning into a really big deal...if companies are not pro active they are going to have hard sledding in the future...

Aldebaran
3/15/2011, 03:03 PM
Almost as interesting as your spelling of inneresting

Really? REALLY???

Wow. Spelling smack on an OU football message board. That's so street.

badger
3/15/2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah, the fact that I know what will happen to Brett Favre is the reason I can't really despise him anymore for playing for the hated Vikings. I remember being 13 years old and wondering why Ali was shaking so much before lighting the Olympic torch.

I know it's easy to go "boo hoo, they make millions and it's their choice," but... it's almost like in Sinclair's The Jungle where everyone from the older family members to the kids have to take jobs to make money... they're rarely in the NFL for themselves. :(

yermom
3/15/2011, 04:51 PM
i've heard that this is more about lots of little hits than a few big ones, and the linemen are at the worst risk

Wishboned
3/15/2011, 06:49 PM
This is what the players should be making a stand for.

If their main argument against the proposed extra games per season was out of a health concern, about the increased damage a player would take during a season without rest and recuperation, that I could support.

LRoss
3/15/2011, 08:41 PM
I hate how the fans taste for violence always gets brought into it and football gets compared to Roman gladiators.

Seriously, we all like a good hit, that's fine. But who watches for the sake of violent hitting? I've heard plenty of people who say they only watch auto racing for the crashes. I've even heard people who say they only like hockey for the fights (they're usually not fans, though). But I (and I think most people) don't watch football FOR the violence any more than I watch baseball because I love curve balls or basketball because I love the bounce-pass. It's a part of the game, of course, but don't paint me (us) as blood-thirsty cretins who sit in the stands or in front of our tv's cheering wildly as players slide out of bounds and dive into the end zone while we're truly only waiting for those couple of glorious moments a game where there's a legit slobber-knocker.

jkjsooner
3/15/2011, 09:16 PM
I've even heard people who say they only like hockey for the fights (they're usually not fans, though).

I can't let this go without chiming in. Don't kid yourself, the NHL knows that fighting is a big draw. When guys start punching each other the officials just sort of make a perimeter around them and let them go at it for a minute or so. The NHL wouldn't allow that if their livelihood wasn't in large part dependent on it.

Frankly, it makes me embarrassed for the NHL and it's the reason why I only watch Olympic and other international competitions. Despite the Canadian ESPN broadcaster's objections, international competitions prove you can in fact play hockey without punching each other.

Is there any other sport (outside of fighting based sports) that treat fighting as a minor infraction?

47straight
3/16/2011, 05:25 PM
Is there any other sport (outside of fighting based sports) that treat fighting as a minor infraction?

No other sport is played on a surface that makes it nearly impossible to throw a punch at full strength. And those other sports feature bench-clearing brawls at far higher rates than hockey.

Leroy Lizard
3/16/2011, 05:42 PM
No other sport is played on a surface that makes it nearly impossible to throw a punch at full strength. And those other sports feature bench-clearing brawls at far higher rates than hockey.

Once you grab the other player's jersey you can put some real meat on a hook.

And bench-clearing brawls are not condoned.

There really is no excuse for refs to stand around and watch two guys pummel each other.

texaspokieokie
3/17/2011, 08:08 AM
Once you grab the other player's jersey you can put some real meat on a hook.

And bench-clearing brawls are not condoned.

There really is no excuse for refs to stand around and watch two guys pummel each other.

you don't see it in olympics.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/17/2011, 10:24 AM
What?

JLMSOONER
3/19/2011, 03:22 PM
I don't think its just the refs standing around in hockey. I think it is actually in the rules that as long as the competitors are on their feet it is legal to do a little swinging. Once someone goes down the refs jump in and It's fight over. So yeah, its part of the game.

goingoneight
3/19/2011, 09:58 PM
Here's a novel idea:

When you make NFL bank, invest in your future and not a ridiculous "crib" and a Kardashian. They know well going in that taking shots from the Polamalu's of this world isn't good for them.

Jacie
3/20/2011, 12:35 PM
Here's a novel idea:

When you make NFL bank, invest in your future and not a ridiculous "crib" and a Kardashian. They know well going in that taking shots from the Polamalu's of this world isn't good for them.

If you don't want to do it with any of the K sisters, then get out of my way . . .

picasso
3/20/2011, 01:50 PM
I agree that it might be causing serious long term affects.

However no one is forcing these athletes to go out there and get paid millions to throw their body around. The choice to knowingly put themselves in harms way is theirs and theirs alone.

It's isnt like working in a factory where asbestos is silently attacking every day and no one knows. Those guys know the sport is inherently dangerous and choose to play for the money, the fame, and hopefully the fact that they love the game as much as we do.

Agreed.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/20/2011, 02:20 PM
Try this on for size. Wont Solve the problem...but may help.
Why dont they start enforcing a rule that requires the defensive man to form tackle...with arm and shoulders. Hear me out here.

The defensive man is required to attemt to TACKLE the offensive player. Not just get him on the ground...Therefore he is forced to get himself in a position to use some skills to bring the opposition down.

What we see today is dudes going full speed holding their arms together, an turning themselves into a human battering ram. If he must "wrap up" the offensive player using his arms, he is putting his body into a more vulnuerable position, and will instinctively be less prone to get to "ramming speed" to make the hit.

They are already (trying to) enforce a rule againt helmet to helmet hits and "launching"... I think it would almost less subjective of a call, if the defensive player didnt use his arm to try and wrap up the offensive player

Leroy Lizard
3/20/2011, 04:58 PM
Just drastically reduce the padding on defenders (but not in the helmet area). This would give them a competitive advantage since it would make them lighter and faster, but without the padding they can't come in full bore without risking injury to themselves.