PDA

View Full Version : March 29, 2006....

OUSKINS
3/15/2011, 08:51 AM
Did a little archive searching and I found this....turns out my initial reaction was probably right :)

http://edkleese.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 09:24 AM
It's sickening really. Kelvin had a great job at Oklahoma. I remember when he started doing those Deodorant Commercials and he got National Attention for being the new Hot Coach Nationally.

Thing is that article alludes to blaming it all on football and even Castiglione. That's about as far from the truth as things can get. It could be that Kelvin was starting to really feel the pressure of bringing a National Championship though. When you start blantently breaking NCAA rules and then keep doing it you begin to force your employers hand. If he'd just won that National Championship then got busted and disgraced our program even more...I think that would have hurt much worse. You want to win the Big One without getting caught. He left here and went to Indiana and did the same damn thing? Screw him. He's lucky we are treating him as good as we are. He deserves credit for his time here that can't be denied but he's the one responsible for not still being here and Coaching.

After that Castiglione had to roll the dice and find someone as good. He didn't and now we are looking again.

GDC
3/15/2011, 09:28 AM
Hire Kellen Sampson, he's doing pretty good at Stephen F. Austin.

OUSKINS
3/15/2011, 09:29 AM
I wrote that five years ago so I really can't remember my intent :), but I wasn't trying to say that the fans pushed him away- just that he was never fully appreciated and he might not be until he was gone. Agreed that now we know what was going down and Kelvin out himself in a pickle, bit it doesn't erase the fact that during his tenure the fanbase was "eh" despite some major success.

oumartin
3/15/2011, 01:23 PM
Kelvin is one of the reasons this program is rock bottom.

yermom
3/15/2011, 01:34 PM
if he doesn't leave when he does, we are LOADED

the crap he did was relatively minor IMO. it was that he kept doing it was the problem

obviously i don't know anything behind the scenes, but i didn't get the impression he was runoft. Indiana is pretty much an upgrade, i'd think

badger
3/15/2011, 01:40 PM
OU and Kelvin really need each other right now... but alas, we both have baggage that neither of us really wants at the moment, so it won't happen.

PS: For nostalgia - read this old thread (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109899&highlight=capel) :)

Let me personally dishonor my 2006 self:

he has potential. he has more potential than Samsung (*whoops!*)

and 2007 badger...

I like Capel too, but I worry that after he's a success here, he'll bolt for Dukie when K retires. Perhaps we can convince him how wonderful it is to have good basketball AND football programs at a university?

In any event, until that time comes (and it looks to still be far away, seeing how K "loves" his team and they named the court after him), here's hoping that he continues storming the court and the refs any time his players show complacency, and the technicals continue coming when we miss too many shots.

Unfortunately, those were the best parts of last season. But, I still think the best is yet to come. We'll be back in the tourney in no time...

and then 2008 badger...

His heart was in the right place when he posted it, and if you're man enough to admit Joe C was right, then you're man enough to do just about anything.

thank goodness that thread was locked before i could say anything else :(

bigfatjerk
3/15/2011, 03:12 PM
Kelvin is one of the reasons this program is rock bottom.

I could see that argument after the first season under Capel. But right now it's all Capel. Just look at the Capel signed players over the years and you have a lot of failure with those guys. And we have no recruiting coming in also. Goff is our only recruit and he's averaging 9 points and 6 rebounds.

soonervegas
3/15/2011, 03:25 PM
Kelvin got caught up trying to continue or beat expectations after Price and White left. (Final Four/Elite Eight) Which is sad from the stand point that I think it would have happened naturally if he continued to "do it right".

We will be damn lucky to find a coach as good as Kelvin with this next hire....

soonerlaw
3/15/2011, 03:37 PM
"How many people can even name the Indiana football coach?"

-Its that Kevin Wilson guy, right? ;)

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 05:01 PM
it doesn't erase the fact that during his tenure the fanbase was "eh" despite some major success.

that never came from me until his last few Seasons and he failed to find the talent he needed to get to the big one. Sure he was a great Coach. Every time I saw him I said hello, shook his hand. He was all OU.

oumartin
3/15/2011, 06:25 PM
I could see that argument after the first season under Capel. But right now it's all Capel. Just look at the Capel signed players over the years and you have a lot of failure with those guys. And we have no recruiting coming in also. Goff is our only recruit and he's averaging 9 points and 6 rebounds.

Are you nuts, Kelvin got caught up with trying to best what he did with Price and that team and started breaking the rules. He got caught and reprimanded. He put the program on probation. They shoulda ran his butt off right then but decided to give him the chance to right the program and instead of trying to fix his screwup he bolted. Yes Indiana is a better job but have some freakin' pride for goodness sake. Just be a decent human being and stick around to fix the crap you just put the program in. He was lucky to get that chance and bolted. The state of the program might be better had he learned his lesson and stuck it out. Of course he probably woulda cheated again ala Indiana but who knows. Capel was put behind the 8 ball from the get go and got lucky with Blake and Co. I really wanted Capel to succeed but obviously I was wrong.

Kelvin started the train wreck, Capel just drove it off the cliff.