PDA

View Full Version : First Strike

MR2-Sooner86
3/14/2011, 06:21 PM
I was just watching the Military Channel today and they had a special of Israel's attack on Iraq's nuclear reactor in '81. Was a very interesting special that looked into allot of the planning and such.

Apparently, when Iraq first announced the reactor in the mid to late 70's and to "take out Israel" they started to plan. So they were planning at least three years.

Their first plan was the air strike but they had another option which considered launching a helicopter operation and take the reactor with special forces but the air strike was always Plan A. With America's failed operation in the Iran Hostage Crises the helicopter operation was thrown out as any alternative.

They talked about the Carter Administration and how Israel felt there was little to no interest in stopping Saddam or helping them.

Also, the F-16s used were originally purchased by Iran but when the Shah fell they offered Israel the planes and they only had nine months or so to train with them for the mission.

At the end of the special they talked about Washington's response. Reagan was told about the air strike after it happened. He paused and said, "Come again?" and they told him Israel took out Iraq's reactor. He was claimed to have smiled and said, "Boys will be boys."

America had no knowledge of the strike and was amazed Israel could keep it so secret for so many years. During a conference of Reagan's officials, I guess George H.W. Bush came out as a very "anti-Israel" guy along with many of the staff. Reagan is then claimed to have said, "Before all is said and done we'll be on our knees thanking Israel for what they did today."

With that said, when can we expect Iran to get taken out?

GDC
3/14/2011, 06:39 PM
We already took out their nuclear program with a computer virus.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1686289

ouwasp
3/14/2011, 11:27 PM
MR2 asks a very good question. I thought it would have happened by now; when Netanyahu was elected, I figured it was just a matter of time.

I guess it still is.

But Israel has tolerated Iran's war by proxy for yrs (Hamas, Hezbollah, etc). For whatever reason, this is allowed to continue.

I sometimes think Israel has adopted the US policy regarding Iran... we've been doing it for over 30 years now, so the model is a fairly solid one to imitate:

Sit on Hands
Now Wring Hands
Repeat

Doesn't seem to portend any First Strike. We'll see.

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 11:30 PM
Telling Israel you just built a nuclear reactor is like telling the local bully that you just built a sand castle.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/14/2011, 11:37 PM
I'm representing Israel at my school's model UN conference and while I'm by no means an expert, I've read a lot of statements and it seems like Israel will definitely attack as soon as they feel that Iran has taken serious steps to a bomb. Stuxnet has done serious damage to the Iranian program however.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 01:21 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T3V9vgUGL.jpg