PDA

View Full Version : Capel-less Coaching Thread

Eielson
3/14/2011, 06:04 PM
I know we already have a couple threads somewhat pertaining to this subject, but they are filled with discussion of whether we should have gotten rid of Capel or not. That's fine, but it gets difficult trying to find information on who our new coach might be in those threads. This thread is for discussion not involving Capel, and no, bringing up Capel would not be creative.

Many people want BCG, but according to Chris Level that's very unlikely. He says it's basically a done deal for him to go to Tech.

http://twitter.com/ChrisLevel/status/47081426591559682

Jeff Goodman thinks that Buzz Williams will be a candidate at OU. He has some history in Oklahoma and Texas. He was an assistant at Texas A&M, and I'm thinking those would've been the BCG years. Apparently he is a good recruiter in Texas?

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/statuses/47340393771171841

Anybody else hear any speculation of who we might go after?

oumartin
3/14/2011, 06:13 PM
I think Buzz Williams would be another Capel like hire.

starrca23
3/14/2011, 06:16 PM
Terry Evans?

GDC
3/14/2011, 06:26 PM
Sherri Coale?

Ruf/Nek7
3/14/2011, 06:35 PM
I don't see why hiring a Terry Evans would really do any good for the program. No recruiting grounds worth noting, and no division 1 coaching experience. How is that any better than Capel? I thought you hire to get better, not worse.

Dont hate me, I would just like to get a name that is well known. We should be better than this.

soonervegas
3/14/2011, 07:21 PM
Josh Pastner's name was thrown out by a talking head at ESPN.

Eielson
3/15/2011, 12:09 AM
Josh Pastner's name was thrown out by a talking head at ESPN.

I've also seen WSU's coach mentioned.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 12:14 AM
Sherri Coale?

That would start some crazy talk.....lol

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 12:17 AM
Mark Gottfried – On Jan. 26, when it seemed obvious that Alabama was on its way to a third straight losing season in the SEC, Gottfried resigned as the Crimson Tide’s coach after 10-plus seasons. Still, it’s safe to say that Gottfried will probably get another chance sometime soon. Gottfried – who spent three seasons at Murray State – has a career record of 278-155 and led Alabama to five straight NCAA tournament appearances from 2002-2006. His 2003-04 squad reached the Elite Eight.

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 12:22 AM
....Tubby, Billy G, Pastner, Stevens, Bo Ryan.

Come on Joe! Treat the STUDENTS, ALUM, and Oklahoma right!

Eielson
3/15/2011, 12:23 AM
....Tubby, Billy G, Pastner, Stevens, Bo Ryan.

Come on Joe! Treat the STUDENTS, ALUM, and Oklahoma right!

Woah, woah, woah. Bo Ryan?!

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 12:32 AM
Woah, woah, woah. Bo Ryan?!

It is a carbon copy of Kelvin ball w/ out a Hollis Price.

Eielson
3/15/2011, 12:34 AM
It is a carbon copy ok Kelvin ball w/ out a Hollis Price.

DONT YOU BRING ME INTO THIS!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/Bo-Ryan-UW-vs-Texas-Dec-23-08.jpg/220px-Bo-Ryan-UW-vs-Texas-Dec-23-08.jpg

Eielson
3/15/2011, 12:37 AM
But in all seriousness, Bo Ryan is a great coach and I would love to have him. You kinda got me excited for a minute.

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 12:38 AM
Well they are a #4 and we aren't even playing on a court.

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 12:42 AM
But in all seriousness, Bo Ryan is a great coach and I would love to have him. You kinda got me excited for a minute.

He would be a great fit.

1) Can recruit to an igloo
2) Can coach against the run and gun
3) Can coach against Izzo, Thad, and whatever IU has on their bench.
4) He is $

Eielson
3/15/2011, 12:53 AM
He would be a great fit.

1) Can recruit to an igloo
2) Can coach against the run and gun
3) Can coach against Izzo, Thad, and whatever IU has on their bench.
4) He is $

This isn't a rumor with any value, is it?

Eielson
3/15/2011, 12:54 AM
From Alex Kline's twitter:

One Oklahoma Recruit on the Job Vacancy: "Word is they're getting UK style ball now; old school. Billy Gillespie might get the OU job."

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 01:08 AM
This isn't a rumor with any value, is it?

It is just wishful thinking.

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 01:10 AM
One Oklahoma Recruit on the Job Vacancy: "Word is they're getting UK style ball now; old school. Billy Gillespie might get the OU job."[/QUOTE]

Than please call Mark @ WWLS and tell him, b/c he says BCG has no chance.

Eielson
3/15/2011, 02:03 AM
I think I'm leaning towards what Emig said. He said something along the lines of being able to name 100 possible people, but JC will probably pick 101.

I Am Right
3/15/2011, 09:30 AM
Terry Evans?

Hmmmmmm

Eielson
3/16/2011, 08:32 PM
From what I've read, almost everything says Gillispie is Tech bound. It may not be official until Monday, though.

Several people think Buzz would be a great coach. I'm not so sure about him. It seems that his Marquette teams have gradually gotten worse each year since Crean left, but on the other hand, the team is performing above standards. Marquette missed the tournament in 04 and 05, lost in the first round of 05 and 06, lost in the second round of 07, and lost in the second round and first round under Buzz. So although they are in fact getting worse, they're still doing pretty well. Apparently Marquette fans love them, and Marquette has a big enough fanbase to have been top 10 in NCAA basketball attendance last year. He's young (38), but not as young as Capel is even after his 5 year tenure here, and he has experience at a big level program. A small additional bonus is that the Big East has a similar conference schedule as the Big XII is switching to next year.

Collier11
3/16/2011, 08:49 PM
I dont get the hype around Buzz other than his Oklahoma and Texas ties...anyone?

Collier11
3/16/2011, 08:52 PM
I think Evans would be good but Joe C would never do it...I dont think :D The more I think about it the more I think that it will either take a Big Name or a Coach who runs n guns to create any interest

Quik Sand
3/16/2011, 08:56 PM
I think Evans would be good but Joe C would never do it...I dont think :D The more I think about it the more I think that it will either take a Big Name or a Coach who runs n guns to create any interestExactly what I am thinking

Eielson
3/16/2011, 08:57 PM
I dont get the hype around Buzz other than his Oklahoma and Texas ties...anyone?

The fact that he has strong ties in Texas recruiting is one thing, which I know you mentioned. He has 4 Texas players on his roster even in Marquette. He's young, has experience at a big school, has been fairly successful, his fanbase loves him, and no baggage.

Collier11
3/16/2011, 09:05 PM
65-32, a 1st and 2nd round exit, never higher than 5th in the conference...I dont know that it will excite the fan base

Scott D
3/16/2011, 09:25 PM
He'll take another failed run at Geno.

Eielson
3/17/2011, 03:44 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110317_92_B1_CUTLIN691714

Some people are saying Evans was upset about being passed over for Capel, but he says OU would be his dream job.

Scott D
3/17/2011, 03:59 PM
Evans needs to get in line behind 87sooner

oumartin
3/17/2011, 04:09 PM

you know that couldn't have sat well with Sherri...

Eielson
3/17/2011, 04:18 PM
you know that couldn't have sat well with Sherri...

I don't think she would mind any scenario that gets him away from UConn.

zandozan
3/17/2011, 05:50 PM

Dude is exactly what we need and embodies what I think Boren and Joe C want OU Basketball to be.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/11976/1359369?title=world_sports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRcx5j0xgJU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWW18SZJDQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwk-yP3F0Es&feature=related

oumartin
3/17/2011, 06:00 PM
It best be Brad Stephens or I'm a gonna quit going.. Oh wait

Eielson
3/17/2011, 06:56 PM
Dude is exactly what we need and embodies what I think Boren and Joe C want OU Basketball to be.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/11976/1359369?title=world_sports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRcx5j0xgJU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWW18SZJDQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwk-yP3F0Es&feature=related

I'm really starting to like this guy.

StoopTroup
3/17/2011, 07:01 PM
I'm really starting to like guys.

NTTAWWT :D

Eielson
3/17/2011, 07:26 PM
NTTAWWT :D

Buzz is a real influential guy.

pappy
3/17/2011, 09:19 PM

lol yep that guy is gonna retire as uconn's women's coach.

Any chance we try to get mark few to leave gonzaga?

Okrunman
3/17/2011, 09:32 PM
ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla confirmed in a radio interview Wednesday that his son, James, is going to college at Oklahoma and plans to walk on in basketball.

James Fraschilla, a 5-foot-10 point guard, attends Dallas Highland Park High School.

Fran Fraschilla has been rumored to be a possible candidate to replace former OU coach Jeff Capel, who was fired this week.

-JT

OU_Sooners75
3/17/2011, 10:08 PM
I don't see why hiring a Terry Evans would really do any good for the program. No recruiting grounds worth noting, and no division 1 coaching experience. How is that any better than Capel? I thought you hire to get better, not worse.

Dont hate me, I would just like to get a name that is well known. We should be better than this.

This is exactly where you are incorrect!

Terry Evans was on OU's staff (Director of Basketball Operations), when Sampson was our coach, from 2000-2001 until Sampson left. He started his coaching career at TCU under Billy Tubbs (after Tubbs left OU). He has also coached in High School and has a 263-87 record as a head coach.

He has ties to a lot of coaches in Texas and Oklahoma. In fact, 14 of his 15 players on his roster this year were from Oklahoma.

He runs a fast paced offense and a stingy defense.

He would be exactly what we need!

Before you give me the speech about he has no D-1 head coaching experience...well, you're right...but neither did Stoops or Coale!

If I were Joe C. I would definitely have him at or near the top of my list.

I would not have Buzz Williams on my list at all. He has ran off plenty of players in his career.

Eielson
3/18/2011, 12:09 AM
I would not have Buzz Williams on my list at all. He has ran off plenty of players in his career.

Like who? He seems very popular with his players. Regardless, that alone isn't reason to mark a guy off. I'd be more worried if the coach didn't run anybody off.

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 01:49 AM
Like who? He seems very popular with his players. Regardless, that alone isn't reason to mark a guy off. I'd be more worried if the coach didn't run anybody off.

If he can get Texas players to Marquette, he can flat out recruit. I have an acquaintance that plays for him sparingly.

zandozan
3/18/2011, 02:15 AM
ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla confirmed in a radio interview Wednesday that his son, James, is going to college at Oklahoma and plans to walk on in basketball.

James Fraschilla, a 5-foot-10 point guard, attends Dallas Highland Park High School.

Fran Fraschilla has been rumored to be a possible candidate to replace former OU coach Jeff Capel, who was fired this week.

-JT

While we could probably do worse than Fran, I hope he isn't really in the running for the job. I checked back over his tenures at Manhattan, St. Johns and New Mexico..stops of just 4, 2 and 3 years. Of his nine years he made it to the NCAA tournament 3 times never past the 2nd round. As you all know beating Kelvin's squad in the 1st round in 95. He had poor relationships with his players at New Mexico for reasons I haven't been able to find out. Not to mention he hasn't coached a game of basketball in 8 years.

While I didn't see any infractions or character issues, his coaching resume is ho hum as well. Everything about Fran kind of screams meh. I hope Joe C isn't ok with settling for meh.

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 02:19 AM
While we could probably do worse than Fran, I hope he isn't really in the running for the job. I checked back over his tenures at Manhattan, St. Johns and New Mexico..stops of just 4, 2 and 3 years. Of his nine years he made it to the NCAA tournament 3 times never past the 2nd round. As you all know beating Kelvin's squad in the 1st round in 95. He had poor relationships with his players at New Mexico for reasons I haven't been able to find out. Not to mention he hasn't coached a game of basketball in 8 years.

While I didn't see any infractions or character issues, his coaching resume is ho hum as well. Everything about Fran kind of screams meh. I hope Joe C isn't ok with settling for meh.

There is a lot of smoke with Buzz. I can't seem to think that he isn't coming here because of his roots and recruiting bed.

zandozan
3/18/2011, 03:15 AM
There is a lot of smoke with Buzz. I can't seem to think that he isn't coming here because of his roots and recruiting bed.

I hope so. He kind of reminds me of a quirky Kelvin without the hypocrisy. He demands a lot from his players and wants them to buy into the team philosophy without just giving it lip service. If he has run players off I assume it's because they were of poor character anyway and not someone you want around your team.

I mean I'll admit, I miss the days of irreverent Billy Tubbs and his run and gun offense and press and trap defense. Those were days when it was just crazy fun to go to bball games and countdown to 100 points. I don't know anyone who coaches like that these days. Mike Anderson is close, maybe a few others. I think in this day of pretty low quality college basketball, a team that brings back the style of 80's/90's OU, UNLV, Loyola Marymount, and Arkansas could really do some damage.

Some people mention Terry Evans as a possibility to do this, I'm not sure. I don't know enough about his coaching abilities other than he seems to be doing a pretty good job at UCO. How that translates to D-1 I haven't a clue. I like that he coached with Billy at TCU so maybe some of that up tempo style rubbed off. He ran the offense at OU pretty well so he knows the old system.

I think a lot of OU fans like myself grew up watching Billy Ball and came to see it as OU's identity much like the Wishbone was OU's identity in football. Jack up the heat in Lloyd Noble and run the opposing team into the ground or outta the gym. The atmosphere in LNC was electric and many times I felt like I had more fun going to bball games than football. Maybe it's unrealistic to hope for a return to that style, but if they're really serious about energizing the fan base and raising attendance...something similar to those days would go a long ways in doing it.

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 03:31 AM
I hope so. He kind of reminds me of a quirky Kelvin without the hypocrisy. He demands a lot from his players and wants them to buy into the team philosophy without just giving it lip service. If he has run players off I assume it's because they were of poor character anyway and not someone you want around your team.

I mean I'll admit, I miss the days of irreverent Billy Tubbs and his run and gun offense and press and trap defense. Those were days when it was just crazy fun to go to bball games and countdown to 100 points. I don't know anyone who coaches like that these days. Mike Anderson is close, maybe a few others. I think in this day of pretty low quality college basketball, a team that brings back the style of 80's/90's OU, UNLV, Loyola Marymount, and Arkansas could really do some damage.

Some people mention Terry Evans as a possibility to do this, I'm not sure. I don't know enough about his coaching abilities other than he seems to be doing a pretty good job at UCO. How that translates to D-1 I haven't a clue. I like that he coached with Billy at TCU so maybe some of that up tempo style rubbed off. He ran the offense at OU pretty well so he knows the old system.

I think a lot of OU fans like myself grew up watching Billy Ball and came to see it as OU's identity much like the Wishbone was OU's identity in football. Jack up the heat in Lloyd Noble and run the opposing team into the ground or outta the gym. The atmosphere in LNC was electric and many times I felt like I had more fun going to bball games than football. Maybe it's unrealistic to hope for a return to that style, but if they're really serious about energizing the fan base and raising attendance...something similar to those days would go a long ways in doing it.

I've missed out. I attended OU the past 5 years and I feel bad for me attending games. There is just no passion and they practically were giving tickets away. I think we need a verbal coach that connects well with the fans, but gets the job done. Gottlieb seems to think it won't be Buzz or BCG. Thinks they aren't the best fits for OU. I don't really know though. Buzz seems to have it together at Marquette. Gottlieb said his downfall was it seemed like he might be hit or miss because he has been at Marquette for 3 years now and it take 4-5 years to really judge a coaches talent.

It is a very interesting situation and I actually think it is going to be a big splash.

Soonerfan88
3/18/2011, 09:54 AM
In the comments section of an article, don't even remember if TW or DO, someone from Wisconsin said there are a lot of rumors about Williams' recruiting practices and that he runs off players. Anyone got the back story there? Badger?

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2011, 05:11 PM

I don't know any names...but I was talking with a friend that is from Milwaukee (and alumni of Marquette) and there is a lot of fans that do not like Williams. He said that has ran off some players.

OU_Sooners75
3/18/2011, 05:13 PM
In the comments section of an article, don't even remember if TW or DO, someone from Wisconsin said there are a lot of rumors about Williams' recruiting practices and that he runs off players. Anyone got the back story there? Badger?

It was probably my friend....LOL

zandozan
3/18/2011, 07:04 PM
I've missed out. I attended OU the past 5 years and I feel bad for me attending games. There is just no passion and they practically were giving tickets away. I think we need a verbal coach that connects well with the fans, but gets the job done. Gottlieb seems to think it won't be Buzz or BCG. Thinks they aren't the best fits for OU. I don't really know though. Buzz seems to have it together at Marquette. Gottlieb said his downfall was it seemed like he might be hit or miss because he has been at Marquette for 3 years now and it take 4-5 years to really judge a coaches talent.

It is a very interesting situation and I actually think it is going to be a big splash.

By big splash do you mean Tubby Smith big or something really outside the box? ;)

I like Tubby and he certainly has the pedigree. Bad thing is he's a year away from 60 and I doubt if he really wants to take on this reclamation project at this stage of his career. This is a job for a younger cat, no doubt.

I feel bad for any OU bball fan who didn't get to see Billy Ball in the late 80's and early 90's. The Big 8 was rocking with Missouri and Kansas also really good. I remember a stretch in I think 90 where we played #1 Missouri on a Saturday..blew them out with a crowd that was absolutely insane. Then turned around and played NEW #1 team Kansas on Monday night. The defense we put on Kansas was simply incredible. I think we ran off 15 straight points in the early part of the first half mostly from turnovers and panicked shots. Kansas simply fell apart under the pressure. The crowd during a run like that is something you just have to see to believe. OU became the new #1 team the following week.

I hope everyone watches the Marquette game tonight. I liked what I saw from Memphis and Pastner earlier today almost beating Arizona. He's really young and I'm not sure he'd leave Memphis for OU but I think it'd be interesting to take a shot at him.

Collier11
3/18/2011, 07:08 PM
Blevins saying today that Mike Anderson will in fact leave Mizzou for Arky and that Gillespie will be announced at Tech soon

Sooner74
3/18/2011, 07:20 PM
Blevins saying today that Mike Anderson will in fact leave Mizzou for Arky and that Gillespie will be announced at Tech soon

That is very good news correct? These two schools would have been in for some of the coaches that we were after.

zandozan
3/18/2011, 08:02 PM
Watching Marquette...I really like their defense and the way they immediately attack the basket in transition off turnovers. I love how physical they are and how they jump the passing lanes and even attack lob passes into the post. Kenny Smith was funny in saying they 'invade your personal space' when they guard you.
I could hear Buzz yelling over the crowd a few times. Dude is an odd looking guy with those little hands and that huge head. I like how he gets on em when he needs to but is really positive and high fives em and stuff after.
I don't like Xavier's skin tight wife beater uni's.

Vegas Sooner
3/20/2011, 04:50 AM
....No "Buzz"

Collier11
3/20/2011, 12:00 PM
Gillespie is going to TT

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6239727

PrideTrombone
3/20/2011, 03:51 PM

If that's true we should've gone after Anderson. That's who I wanted originally before we hired Capel.

Jason Alexander
3/22/2011, 01:27 AM
I say throw everything we got at Josh Pastner

Jason Alexander
3/22/2011, 05:34 PM
Better yet, Hire Buzz Williams and make Terry Evans offensive coordinator.

stoopified
3/23/2011, 07:09 AM
I hink Buzz is the main target and if we don"t get him(as i suspect) then evans is THE MAN. He knows coaching<has ties to hs coches in OK and Tx. You have to realize that as A D-2 coach Evans was unable to get the best talent BUT he was recruiting the teamates of those players who either didn"t have D-1 grades or talent. He knows the coaches and WILL be able to recruit to OU. How will that translate to W'S and L'S? I HAVE NO IDEA!