PDA

View Full Version : Land thieves

KantoSooner
3/14/2011, 04:33 PM
Has it ever struck anyone else as ironic that some Texans fixate on the lack of ethics implicit in jumping the land rush gun...while ignoring that they stole their entire state from Mexico?

sooner_born_1960
3/14/2011, 04:38 PM
Hell, I'm glad they did it. Can you imagine if we had the border?

Soonermagik
3/14/2011, 04:46 PM
They only borrowed it, as many residents of Mexico have decided to move back. ;)They can have their border wars and drug cartels for all I care. I guess karma does come around!!

70sooner
3/14/2011, 04:47 PM
ask them where the deed is. that will shut them up....

SunnySooner
3/14/2011, 05:07 PM
Just watched "Cimarron" again last weekend...worth it for the land run scene alone.

And they're texuns, Kanto, you're expecting way too much of them. ;)

MamaMia
3/14/2011, 05:27 PM
I thought Oklahoma owned Texas? :P

Caboose
3/14/2011, 05:55 PM
Has it ever struck anyone else as ironic that some Texans fixate on the lack of ethics implicit in jumping the land rush gun...while ignoring that they stole their entire state from Mexico?

Practically the entire Western Hemisphere (and much of the rest of the world) was "stolen" from it's original inhabitants, so it is hard to see how a resident of any state would feel any type of moral superiority on the issue. At least the Sooners were technically stealing land from the US Government, not the natives.

MR2-Sooner86
3/14/2011, 05:59 PM
Practically the entire Western Hemisphere (and much of the rest of the world) was "stolen" from it's original inhabitants, so it is hard to see how a resident of any state would feel any type of moral superiority on the issue. At least the Sooners were technically stealing land from the US Government, not the natives.

We beat Mexico in a war and got the land by signing a treaty.

The Texas way?

Mexico: "Alright Americans you can move in if you follow our rules, pay taxes, etc. We welcome immigration. Sound good?"
Texans: "**** YOU! Come on boys lets take this bitch over!"

GDC
3/14/2011, 06:24 PM
They only borrowed it, as many residents of Mexico have decided to move back. ;)They can have their border wars and drug cartels for all I care. I guess karma does come around!!

Unfortunately, we are probably going to lose the entire Southwest, including Oklahoma, to "Reconquista".

Tigeman
3/14/2011, 07:33 PM

Hmmm idk, but that sounds like a damn good name for a sooner forum! Someone should do that! Oh wait...

MR2-Sooner86
3/14/2011, 08:16 PM
Just so everybody knows. Just like I did with the "F Okie Lite" thread, there WILL be a history of Texas on the "Tuck Fexus" thread I'll be making this October.

SoCaliSooner
3/14/2011, 08:24 PM
We beat Mexico in a war and got the land by signing a treaty.

General Santa Ana surrendered to Dennis Quaid who was injured during the battle of San Jacinto...

SoonerLB
3/14/2011, 08:26 PM
They only borrowed it, as many residents of Mexico have decided to move back. ;)

Mack: "Look at all them Mexicans!"

UT President: "Yeah, there's a bunch of 'em all right."

Mack: "So . . . , we pourin' concrete somewhere on campus today?"

;) :D ;)

STUpendOUs
3/14/2011, 08:30 PM
It's a great message board though....

Football Jim
3/14/2011, 08:54 PM
Just to keep this thread somewhat factual...... Originally the Texans were happy to live under the Mexican government, but when Santa Anna dissolved the Mexican Constitution the Texans were fighting to restore the constitution. After the Alamo battle was fought the handwriting was on the wall, the Texans wanted to control their own destiny.

They did for a while, but it seems that the Sooners keep kickin' whorn butt
so they suck hind tit.
Ok, now the facts are out there.

bluedogok
3/14/2011, 09:11 PM

ALWAYS.........

I know an Oklahoma company (Flintco) is building one of the bigger new buildings on campus, The Belo Center for New Media.

BigTip
3/14/2011, 10:09 PM
I didn't know there would be testing involved when I signed up here. I don't test well!

aero
3/14/2011, 10:23 PM
Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas - born in Virginia
Sam Houston, 1st President of Republic of Texas - born in Virginia
William B. Travis, Hero of the Alamo - born in South Carolina
James Bowie, Did Fighting for Helpless Texans - born in Kentucky
Davie Crockett, Also Tried to Protect Helpless Texans - born in Tennessee
Darrell Royal, Father of Texas Football and Texas God - born in Oklahoma
Bob Wheeler, Texas Charter Bus Hall of Fame and General Texas Icon - born in Texas

Funny how texans always complain that other schools take "their" players out of state. Truth is, most texans came from somewhere else. Least the good ones. Texas would still belong to Mexico if it weren't for non-texans.

picasso
3/14/2011, 10:34 PM
Southern plains tribes inhabited Texas long before whitey showed up.

SoonerKnight
3/14/2011, 10:39 PM
Hell, I'm glad they did it. Can you imagine if we had the border?

Yes I can and it would be better cuz theys wouldn't get across with a bunch of pissed off okies watching the border! Oh and we would have okie mex not tex mex!

soonerstan56
3/15/2011, 02:17 AM
Bob Wheeler, Texas Charter Bus Hall of Fame and General Texas Icon - born in Texas

So true Aero, "Brother Bob" ,whom I'd almost forgot ,was the epitomy of the saying "All Hat And No Cattle" :D

Stan

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 07:06 AM

they weren't stealing it from the government, they were sneaking in early & stealing it from other "would-be Okies".

My Dad (as a young boy) with his family moved to OK before statehood (1904)' but way after the Land Runs. they could be called delayed Sooners. or whatever.

Jacie
3/15/2011, 09:07 AM
For the better part of 300 years (coinciding with the introduction of horses to North America by the conquistadors), the Comanche owned the southern plains, which includes the area now mostly occupied by the state of Texas, migrating there in the winter (think of them as the original snowbirds). With the coming of the white man, the Comanches thought they had hit the Big Lotto. Those whites were rich with stuff like metal implements, tightly woven cloth, horses, women, children . . . and all the Comanche had to do was take it from them! Alas, the people that defeated Santa Anna and his Mexican gang turned their attention to the natives, formed the Texas Rangers and mandated that they engage in genocide until the "injun problem" was fixed. The Comanche who survived cholera and raids by the Rangers finally had enough and accepted the invitation to move north to what was increasingly referred to as "The Land of the Red Man."

Compared to that, jumping the gun before noon seems small potatoes . . .

Caboose
3/15/2011, 09:17 AM
they weren't stealing it from the government, they were sneaking in early & stealing it from other "would-be Okies".

My Dad (as a young boy) with his family moved to OK before statehood (1904)' but way after the Land Runs. they could be called delayed Sooners. or whatever.

No, as I said technically they were stealing it from the government, as that is who owned it up until the land runs began.

gosooner2
3/15/2011, 09:54 AM
No, as I said technically they were stealing it from the government, as that is who owned it up until the land runs began.

The government who stole (took) it from the indians. Face it almost all of the US of A was taken from the indians by somebody. Spain, France, England, US.

KantoSooner
3/15/2011, 09:55 AM
My work here is done.

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 09:56 AM

No, the government was giving it away, 1st come, 1st served. if they got there early, they got the choice spots. otherwise, why go in early ???

sooner518
3/15/2011, 09:58 AM

Im not sure there's any place to pour concrete that isnt already covered in concrete....

seriously, i was just on UT's campus yesterday (my wife was interviewing fro a job 2 blocks from campus and I had nothing to do) and that is one ugly campus. obviously Austin has alot going for it over Norman (music, food, bars, etc...) but the campus is not one of them.

that said, I'm moving there in 2 months and Im pretty happy about it. (Austin>DFW)

Caboose
3/15/2011, 10:29 AM
No, the government was giving it away, 1st come, 1st served. if they got there early, they got the choice spots. otherwise, why go in early ???

I am giving away a five dollar bill to my friend at lunch today... but before I get to the cafe I get mugged and the five dollar bill is stolen! Did the mugger steal a five dollar bill from me or from my friend?

I understand the intent of the government was to give the land away, but until they did the land belonged to the government.

Caboose
3/15/2011, 10:29 AM
The government who stole (took) it from the indians. Face it almost all of the US of A was taken from the indians by somebody. Spain, France, England, US.

Yeah, I already covered that.

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 10:40 AM
I am giving away a five dollar bill to my friend at lunch today... but before I get to the cafe I get mugged and the five dollar bill is stolen! Did the mugger steal a five dollar bill from me or from my friend?

I understand the intent of the government was to give the land away, but until they did the land belonged to the government.

there was a guy, before the land run, had his eye on a choice piece of land. had a nice creek & lots of good grass land. he thought it would be perfect for his "dream" farm. he was all set to rush in & claim it, but when he got there a "sooner" (cheater) had left early & beat him to it.

stolen from government or "play-by-rules" guy ??

Partial Qualifier
3/15/2011, 10:46 AM
Uhh weren't the majority of land run participants (boomers & sooners alike) from ...Texas?

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 10:49 AM
Uhh weren't the majority of land run participants (boomers & sooners alike) from ...Texas?

who knows & why would it matter ???

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/15/2011, 10:54 AM
what's a sooner? ;)

Caboose
3/15/2011, 10:57 AM
there was a guy, before the land run, had his eye on a choice piece of land. had a nice creek & lots of good grass land. he thought it would be perfect for his "dream" farm. he was all set to rush in & claim it, but when he got there a "sooner" (cheater) had left early & beat him to it.

I had my eye on a 55 inch LCD TV at a local store, was gonna buy it this morning... but alas a thief broke in last night and stole it before I could make my transaction with the store owner. Did the thief steal from the store owner or me, the play-by-rules guy?

The police report is going to say the store owner. It doesn't matter if the store owner intended on selling me the TV later or giving it away to me.

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 11:00 AM
was the land stolen from the gov. ???

it was still there.

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 11:01 AM
we're never gonna agree on this.

Caboose
3/15/2011, 11:02 AM
was the land stolen from the gov. ???

it was still there.

Was the land stolen by the play-by-rules guy???

it was still there,

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 11:05 AM
Was the land stolen by the play-by-rules guy???

it was still there,

NO, because he played by the rules.

Caboose
3/15/2011, 11:10 AM
NO, because he played by the rules.

LOL wut?

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 11:12 AM
we'll never agree on this.
i give up.

tfoolry
3/15/2011, 11:14 AM
I had my eye on a 55 inch LCD TV at a local store, was gonna buy it this morning... but alas a thief broke in last night and stole it before I could make my transaction with the store owner. Did the thief steal from the store owner or me, the play-by-rules guy?

The police report is going to say the store owner. It doesn't matter if the store owner intended on selling me the TV later or giving it away to me.

Sounds like you're referring to this guy:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o60PXgnUDMk/Stk8e1HdPnI/AAAAAAAAADQ/-1i2xGfOXtc/s320/thief.jpg

Not this guy:

http://planetcity1.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/centennial-land-run.jpg

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 11:29 AM
We worry about some of the weirdest **** in here.

badger
3/15/2011, 11:30 AM
Just so everybody knows. Just like I did with the "F Okie Lite" thread, there WILL be a history of Texas on the "Tuck Fexus" thread I'll be making this October.

True story of the origination of burnt orange:

The color dye would fade by season's end back in the day, and they couldn't bear to be called yellow-bellied. Therefore, they made a darker shade of puke so that even if it faded, they could still be puke colored.

As for Texas, it has Dallas, which is where OU alumni go to make more money :(

Let's steal Dallas from Texas :D

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 11:48 AM
http://planetcity1.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/centennial-land-run.jpg

They didn't have color photography back then!

Always trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Well, I'm too smart for that.

tfoolry
3/15/2011, 11:55 AM
It's "Technicolor;" same outfit that made most of Wizard of Oz color. ;)

tfoolry
3/15/2011, 11:59 AM

The color dye would fade by season's end back in the day, and they couldn't bear to be called yellow-bellied. Therefore, they made a darker shade of puke so that even if it faded, they could still be puke colored.

No; then I would have to pay state taxes. :(

badger
3/15/2011, 12:03 PM
No; then I would have to pay state taxes. :(

Traitor :P

MyT Oklahoma
3/15/2011, 01:01 PM
I know it's a pretty slow off season but still.. who cares what * thinks.

After all their the guys who put it into their state constitution that you can't garnish anyone's wages in * because they were all debtors from other states.

SunnySooner
3/15/2011, 03:30 PM
Any of y'all do land runs in grade school? At Jenks, 3rd grade, we got to rig out our Little Red Wagons and race across the playground, complete with period costumes and "spouses". Yep, had to get married in 3rd grade, HUGE deal when you're 8.

And then they made us walk in the parade behind some sort of horse outfit. Ugh. Good times, good times.

GKeeper316
3/15/2011, 03:36 PM

give credit where its due. Texas didn't "steal" their state from Mexico. they fought a very bloody war for it.

by your logic, the colonies "stole" their land from England

OUDizzle
3/15/2011, 03:40 PM
Any of y'all do land runs in grade school? At Jenks, 3rd grade, we got to rig out our Little Red Wagons and race across the playground, complete with period costumes and "spouses". Yep, had to get married in 3rd grade, HUGE deal when you're 8.

And then they made us walk in the parade behind some sort of horse outfit. Ugh. Good times, good times.

We had to do this in Norman. We got plots of land in the playground and were told to pretend we had a farm or business, I think I made a brothel.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/15/2011, 03:40 PM

Eff that...Dallas sucks. I don't want Dallas tainting Oklahoma.

KantoSooner
3/15/2011, 04:10 PM
give credit where its due. Texas didn't "steal" their state from Mexico. they fought a very bloody war for it.

by your logic, the colonies "stole" their land from England

Yes, we did steal our land from the British Crown. Who had stolen it from the native inhabitants. And, if current anthropology is correct, the Indians living in what became the USofA had displaced earlier immigrant populations.

Texas' war of independence was pretty much a 'meh' of a 'war'. Some desultry dust-ups between reasonably incompetent Texans and seriously incompetent (and phenomenally poorly led) Mexicans. Some small scale reprisal killings as per normal. But the whole thing could have been held in one small part of a civil war battle field without distracting from the big show. Texans waaaaay over glorify their 'struggle' for independence.

I'm really not bothered by the theft of land; it is, after all, sort of the primary activity of the human race (see good stuff owned by neighbor. Get big stick. Go get stuff. Scoff at neighbor.) Just amused that a pot insists on calling a kettle black.

Herr Scholz
3/15/2011, 07:37 PM
I understand the disdain Oklahomans have for Texans denigrating their heritage and history. Texans can certainly be an arrogant bunch. Truth be told, there are more similarities about our populations than differences. And early Oklahomans were tough as nails to settle a new place just like all American pioneers. I doubt I would have the stuff to pull that off.

One difference I will note about early Texan settlers is that it was an untamed land. It was literally a foreign country and the Mexican government wanted people to settle it to get rid of the Indians. It was very dangerous. The people who came there also wanted to rid themselves of the yoke of government control like Davey Crockett and others (some could've been wanting to be independent and many others might have been fleeing from the law - a new start, good or bad). That's where a lot of Texas pride comes from, an independent spirit. And the whole 9 years of the Texas Republic that secessionist loons like Rick Perry still tout as viable today.

But we're all Americans, right? And both consistent red states. Can't we get along and just make fun of people from Arkansas and Louisiana?

SunnySooner
3/15/2011, 07:53 PM
OK and TX, and their respective inhabitants, are a lot alike, not really Deep South, not really Southwest, not really anything except OK and TX, a crossroads, a mishmash of Western heritage and southern roots, with a Hispanic influence as well. I've lived enough places to know that's true. One of the reasons we squabble like siblings.

The difference is OUr bull **** is on the OUtside of OUr boots. :D

tcrb
3/15/2011, 08:32 PM

The 'guy' shoulda just pulled out his trusty Colt and placed a .45 slug in the ole' boy's azz and called it even. :cool:

Jason
3/15/2011, 09:07 PM

stolen from government or Tom Cruise?

FIFY.

Seriously though. Stolen from the government. Caboose is right.

texaspokieokie
3/16/2011, 06:55 AM
FIFY.

Seriously though. Stolen from the government. Caboose is right.

having thot about it a little more; he didn't really steal it from anyone, gov was giving it away.

he , as a Sooner, wasn't a thief, just a Cheat.

Partial Qualifier
3/16/2011, 07:06 AM
who knows & why would it matter ???

1) Texans like to call us "land thieves"

2) "Land thieves" were actually Texans

difficult to comprehend? :confused:

Jason
3/16/2011, 11:36 AM
having thot about it a little more; he didn't really steal it from anyone, gov was giving it away.
Negative. Someone is always in possession of property. Until it was "given" away by the government, they maintained ownership. Whether they cared to enforce that ownership interest, after the land was "stolen", is another debate.

texaspokieokie
3/19/2011, 08:42 AM
definition of "sooner" is (loosely) one who does something early to gain an unfair advantage. several places use this definition & i never saw the word "thief" mentioned. once "sooners" were referred to as "cheaters".

some of the "sooners" were there legally, such as surveyors or railroad
employees.

they came from everywhere, not mostly from TX.

didn't get title to land until having lived on it 5 yrs.

texaspokieokie
3/19/2011, 08:43 AM
definition of "sooner" is (loosely) one who does something early to gain an unfair advantage. several places use this definition & i never saw the word "thief" mentioned. once "sooners" were referred to as "cheaters".

some of the "sooners" were there legally, such as surveyors or railroad
employees.

they came from everywhere, not mostly from TX.

didn't get title to land until having lived on it 5 yrs.

texaspokieokie
3/19/2011, 08:46 AM
it took 5 yrs to gain title.
def. doesn't say "theives".

70sooner
3/20/2011, 03:32 PM
Face it almost all of the US of A was taken from the indians by somebody. Spain, France, England, US.

what part wasn't?

The 'guy' shoulda just pulled out his trusty Colt and placed a .45 slug in the ole' boy's azz and called it even.

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal...

Shakadoodoo
3/20/2011, 04:57 PM
Land thieves applies to everyone in Canada and USA.

texaspokieokie
3/21/2011, 07:27 AM
Land thieves applies to everyone in Canada and USA.

i didn't steal any land. maybe i bought from someone, not "rightful owner".