PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck

oudavid1
3/14/2011, 02:44 PM
Finding a better coach then Capel.

Bob Knight anyone?

I feel like drinking. This is so stupid.

badger
3/14/2011, 02:49 PM
Feel like drinking? I thought you'd be more in a tweeting mood.

Twitter away, davie ;)

soonervegas
3/14/2011, 02:50 PM
Man, some people have an low opinion of OU basketball. It seems to run pretty consistent with people who have not posted on this board historically.

The Maestro
3/14/2011, 03:04 PM
You are worried OU may not be able to find a coach that can do better than 37-36 over a two year period???

Is this OU or USAO we are talking about?

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2011, 03:12 PM
It won't be hard at all. Joe won't need luck to find a better replacement.

I thought this was a thread wishing Capel good luck. I wish him the very best. Wanted him gone in year one, but always thought he was a nice guy from all accounts. Hate seeing anyone lose their job. The smack he makes will help.

So best of luck Coach Capel and thanks for your time here.

badger
3/14/2011, 03:19 PM
You are worried OU may not be able to find a coach that can do better than 37-36 over a two year period???

Is this OU or USAO we are talking about?

I was once worried about who would be able to replace the highly-touted scramblin' sensation that swept Sooner Nation Rhett Bomar.

Then, Stoops put our minds at ease:

The truth is we lost a guy who finished the year with 10 interceptions and 10 touchdowns.

And then, the guy who replaced him came forward:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/521878/medium.jpg

There's light at the end of the tunnel. :)

sperry
3/14/2011, 03:33 PM
Here's the issue to me. If we go out and spend the big bucks to bring in a top coach, then the move will be a good one. Otherwise, we are making a lateral hire at best, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Tony Crocker, TMG, Tiny Gallon, and Willie Warren were able to derail this program. Their poor attitudes wrecked the team in '09-'10. This past years team wasn't very good, but it was also a team with only one senior. The program was back on the upswing, and I think Capel would have had them back in the tournament by the '12-'13 season.

oudavid1
3/14/2011, 03:40 PM
Let me put it this way. When given one great player, just one! we go to the elite eight. When he got the wood, he made fire. I guess this was about Jeff not getting wood.

Mjcpr
3/14/2011, 03:42 PM
Let me put it this way. When given one great player, just one! we go to the elite eight. When he got the wood, he made fire. I guess this was about Jeff not getting wood.

I've got wood but I can't make fire with it.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 03:43 PM
I was once worried about who would be able to replace the highly-touted scramblin' sensation that swept Sooner Nation Rhett Bomar.

I'm sorry but comparing OU Basketball to OU Football isn't really a good argument.

The Maestro
3/14/2011, 03:46 PM

Blake Griffin's don't grow on trees. Name the last NBA rookie to make this much noise on one of the crappiest teams and franchises in the NBA? He and Wayman are 1 and 1A as far as best players from Oklahoma ever.

My point? A LOT of coaches could have gotten to the Elite 8 with Blake Griffin on a college basketball court. Capel didn't really do much else to show that he wasn't dependent on a superstar.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 03:49 PM
When he got the wood, he made fire. I guess this was about Jeff not getting wood.

LMAO! David, do you ever think about what you're typing?!? :D

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2011, 03:50 PM

I would think its more about him getting kindling that he thought was wood. It's his fault the fire went out so quickly.

oudavid1
3/14/2011, 03:51 PM
LMAO! David, do you ever read what you type before you post it?!? :D

I totally knew what I was doing.

Eielson
3/14/2011, 03:53 PM

One great player? That's honestly an insult to how good Blake was. His sophomore season was the best of that entire decade. WW was projected as a lottery pick following that season and Crocker was one of the best defenders in the conference.

oudavid1
3/14/2011, 04:02 PM
One great player? That's honestly an insult to how good Blake was. His sophomore season was the best of that entire decade. WW was projected as a lottery pick following that season and Crocker was one of the best defenders in the conference.

I reserve great for pros.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 04:13 PM
BTW David, thanks for the new sig... :)

Eielson
3/14/2011, 04:20 PM
I reserve great for pros.

So you're saying there were three great players on that team?

Aldebaran
3/14/2011, 04:29 PM

And then, the guy who replaced him came forward:

I like where you were headed with this, but there was a sucessful qb between numbnuts and Bradford.

CobraKai
3/14/2011, 06:05 PM

Is this a joke? He had 3 guys who at least got NBA PT on that team, one of them being a once in a generation player. Qhen Syravuse got that they won it all. Put another way, he had more talent than basically any Sampson team, save maybe one. He had TONS of talent, not just one player.

Maybe the dumbest comment I've seen...have you ever heard of Willie Warren or Taylor Grifin?

starrca23
3/14/2011, 06:14 PM
Joe C. always seems to know what he is doing. I hope this is the case. I don't see many candidates out there. Also, I won't be surprised to see Capel land on his feet.

oudavid1
3/14/2011, 06:25 PM
So you're saying there were three great players on that team?

Ok, players. Not scrubs.

Is this a joke? He had 3 guys who at least got NBA PT on that team, one of them being a once in a generation player. Qhen Syravuse got that they won it all. Put another way, he had more talent than basically any Sampson team, save maybe one. He had TONS of talent, not just one player.

Maybe the dumbest comment I've seen...have you ever heard of Willie Warren or Taylor Grifin?

Yeah, has anyone outside of Oklahoma....no.

Im not wrong. Oklahoma had one great player. Blake. And they went to the elite eight.

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 06:33 PM

Bob Knight anyone?

Thank you Fox Sports...

Nothing like a little fear after they fired General Capel......lol

colleyvillesooner
3/14/2011, 06:43 PM
And without Blake he won 9 big 12 games in the last two years.

Sooner_Bob
3/14/2011, 08:20 PM
I've got wood but I can't make fire with it.

You're doing it wrong.

tulsaoilerfan
3/14/2011, 08:49 PM
Make all the excuses u want, but the guy had 3 losing seasons in 5 years as the Sooners coach; he deserved to be fired

bluedogok
3/14/2011, 09:16 PM
Make all the excuses u want, but the guy had 3 losing seasons in 5 years as the Sooners coach; he deserved to be fired
Some of these people sound like some of the ones that thought Boo Blake should have had one more year.

picasso
3/14/2011, 10:27 PM
The program was back on the upswing, and I think Capel would have had them back in the tournament by the '12-'13 season.

Wrong.

Eielson
3/15/2011, 12:13 AM
Ok, players. Not scrubs.

Imagine the damage he could do with 3 NBA starters. :rolleyes:

Yeah, has anyone outside of Oklahoma....no.

Almost anybody that legitimately follows college basketball knows all three names.

Blue
3/15/2011, 12:22 AM
OP could not be more wrong. He could try, but he would fail.

Not dogging capel, but how the hell do you go 13-18 or whatever with Warren, TMG, and Tiny Gallon. They were punks bc they had no faith in the system and thats Capels fault like it or not.

oudavid1
3/15/2011, 12:43 AM
For the record, i could totally be wrong.

Blue
3/15/2011, 12:49 AM
For the record, i could totally be wrong.

We will see. He coulda got it turned around, but one thing or THE thing I love about Oklahoma and Oklahomans is the fact the we don't accept mediocrity. We gave him a chance after last year and it seemed like it was taking too long. Unreasonable? maybe. But it is what it is. Hopefully Joe C has an ace up his sleeve.

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 01:06 AM

Bob Knight anyone?

Feel free. That has been what most OU BBall fans have had to do the last 2 years. I miss my alma, but I can't stand watching them lose like this every year. I watch every game I can, even on the crappy package(They need to make everything HD). I like Capel, but it is embarrassing what has happened to OU.

....might as well take Lon Kruger; he has ties back there. UNLV fans don't care. They don't attend unless they play BYU or Reno.

oudavid1
3/15/2011, 01:55 AM
We will see. He coulda got it turned around, but one thing or THE thing I love about Oklahoma and Oklahomans is the fact the we don't accept mediocrity. We gave him a chance after last year and it seemed like it was taking too long. Unreasonable? maybe. But it is what it is. Hopefully Joe C has an ace up his sleeve.

I just want stability. I dont like change.

Feel free. That has been what most OU BBall fans have had to do the last 2 years. I miss my alma, but I can't stand watching them lose like this every year. I watch every game I can, even on the crappy package(They need to make everything HD). I like Capel, but it is embarrassing what has happened to OU.

....might as well take Lon Kruger; he has ties back there. UNLV fans don't care. They don't attend unless they play BYU or Reno.

lol im 18 and not a fan of underage drinking. (most of the time)

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 02:01 AM
lol im 18 and not a fan of underage drinking. (most of the time)[/QUOTE]

....well good luck in college. PPPllllllll.....

CowboyMRW
3/15/2011, 02:10 AM

Why do you have a picture of me up? :D

I know it's Sam but I'm in there too. I'm the dude in the white shirt in between Sam's legs, beating on the wall

Vegas Sooner
3/15/2011, 02:38 AM

I know it's Sam but I'm in there too. I'm the dude in the white shirt in between Sam's legs, beating on the wall

...You like being between Sam's legs?

I would do anything to get out of stillwater, but I would not be proud of your "on" accomplishment.

Have fun farming!!

oumartin
3/15/2011, 03:50 AM

If I was that ugly I'm not sure I would be pointing myself out..

GreenSooner
3/15/2011, 08:36 AM

Well if everyone feels like drinking, perhaps we should hire Gillispie!

Breadburner
3/15/2011, 09:51 AM
Makes you wonder why they gave him another year.....

go4eight
3/15/2011, 09:57 AM
The problem will not be finding a new coach at OU,but the glaring poroblem is the talent or lack off on this team & the prospects of what the new coach can scrape up with the limited time table.Go Sooners!!!!

The Maestro
3/15/2011, 09:57 AM
I just want stability. I dont like change.

A lack of stability is why change was made.

You're a young buck...I hope your logic and reason kick in during these formative years.

LiveLaughLove
3/15/2011, 10:18 AM
Makes you wonder why they gave him another year.....

I think they had to give him one more year. I have wanted him gone since just about the time he got here. It was a fait accompli that yesterday was going to happen. It was just a matter of when. He's a nice guy seemingly, but he wasn't a good coach (obvious from his first few games). And he didn't know how to handle big ego's (obvious from last years fiasco).

It would have been unfair to kick him after last year. Joe C. gave him this year to turn things around, and I believe gave him this upcoming recruiting to see if things were going to get turned around.

I don't think the recruits he has coming in were drastic enough of a turn around for Joe in the end, after another bad season. Of course, I can't speak for him, I'm just taking an educated guess. It could have been the NCAA stuff for all we know (another big flaw with Capel's tenur here). He was partly hired to run a clean program and he failed at that too.

oudavid1
3/15/2011, 12:25 PM
A lack of stability is why change was made.

You're a young buck...I hope your logic and reason kick in during these formative years.

you and i both.