PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering what happens to Kanika Capel now?

Sooner24
3/14/2011, 02:38 PM
Does she have a buy out clause in her contract? ;)

Monster Zero
3/18/2011, 06:29 PM
Does she have a buy out clause in her contract? ;)

No telling what her terms are with her employer, but she now has 2.1 million reasons to live happily ever after. Which we hope she does, of course.

C&CDean
3/18/2011, 08:41 PM
Who?

Sooner24
3/19/2011, 08:30 AM
http://www.law.ou.edu/faculty/capel.shtml

Sooner24
3/19/2011, 09:19 AM
Double post

jkjsooner
3/19/2011, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure why OU would feel the need to buy her out. If she wants to stay at OU power to her.

oulucas
3/19/2011, 10:19 PM
She graduated from Yale Law. I think she's a bit ahead of most of the folks that have graduated from OU Law School. Pretty sure she'll land on her feet.

Sooner24
3/23/2011, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure why OU would feel the need to buy her out. If she wants to stay at OU power to her.

It was a jk.

sperry
3/24/2011, 10:43 AM
She graduated from Yale Law. I think she's a bit ahead of most of the folks that have graduated from OU Law School. Pretty sure she'll land on her feet.

This. Yale Law is so far ahead of every other school in the country that they don't even have grades. They don't have to distinguish between their students, because every single one of them is going to be snapped up by the top firms. For example, Kanika Capel started at Covington & Burling, one of the country's premiere firms. Hell, if she had stayed in private practice she'd probably be making more than Jeff by now. Having her on the OU faculty was a pretty big deal, it's a shame she's going to leave.

badger
3/24/2011, 11:03 AM
Anyone here take any of her classes or talk to anyone who did?

The only thing I can see difficult for Kanika is having to take a bar exam in whatever state Jeff gets his next job in. It might be easiest for them to stay in Oklahoma till then, so Kanika can keep teaching and Jeff can keep collecting that stupid buyout.

In any event, wish the entire family the best.

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 11:30 AM
The only thing I can see difficult for Kanika is having to take a bar exam in whatever state Jeff gets his next job in.

you don't think a Yale Law grad and law professor can pass the bar exam in which state?

badger
3/24/2011, 11:34 AM
you don't think a Yale Law grad and law professor can pass the bar exam in which state?

I am quite confident that I could take the ACT again, or the PSAT, or the SAT or whatever, or my college's entrance exam, and do well enough, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a big hassle :D

yermom
3/24/2011, 11:52 AM

well, the laws are different, right?

OutlandTrophy
3/24/2011, 12:45 PM
well, the laws are different, right?

so you think it would be difficult for her as well?

yermom
3/24/2011, 12:51 PM
i don't know that much about it, but i've heard that you want to work where you go to law school because of the bar

i'd imagine you would have to at least do a fair amount of reading to pick up the subtle differences. i don't think it's impossible or anything, but i'd think it wouldn't be trivial

BillyBall
3/24/2011, 12:54 PM
I do know that certain bars are harder than others. I have a friend that can practice law in NJ, Illinois, OK, and Arizona and he says that NJ was by far the hardest to pass. He is currently chasing an ambulance in Arizona.

By the way, I've always had a problem with using the word "practicing" for law and medicine. Kind of scares the hell out of me.

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 12:54 PM
What I can't figure out is why her parents hated her. Kanika? For reals?

Jason Alexander
3/24/2011, 12:58 PM
So OU should have kept Jeff in order to keep its law school higher profile, right?

John Kochtoston
3/28/2011, 10:45 PM

Many states have reciprocity agreements that allow admission without retaking the bar. It would depend on where she ends up and how many years of practice she has.

LostCreekSooner
3/28/2011, 11:55 PM
By the way, I've always had a problem with using the word "practicing" for law and medicine. Kind of scares the hell out of me.

My recommendation to you... stay out of the hospital!

MI Sooner
3/29/2011, 08:11 PM
Why would you need to be admitted to the bar in the state in which you teach law?

Also, I think that it's a bit of a dirty (not so) secret that some elite law schools have surprisingly poor bar passage rates, since elite schools aren't as geared toward that as some lower tier schools. Maybe that's a myth though.

John Kochtoston
3/29/2011, 11:30 PM
Why would you need to be admitted to the bar in the state in which you teach law?

Also, I think that it's a bit of a dirty (not so) secret that some elite law schools have surprisingly poor bar passage rates, since elite schools aren't as geared toward that as some lower tier schools. Maybe that's a myth though.

You wouldn't need to be. If she wants to stay in academia, she wouldn't need to sit for a bar, reciprocity or no.

Besides, she passed the D.C. Bar. She can likely handle any other exam she'd need to take.

KNEE BRACE
3/30/2011, 02:59 AM

dean is actually a really stupid name

stoopified
3/31/2011, 09:48 PM

Beats the heck out of some truly stupid names I have heard.For example Lemongelo,Orangelo,Lenard,Nimoy,Shaquille(for a man.Really?),Dominque(ditto),****head,went to school with the Box sisters(Toy,Sandy).

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 09:59 PM
dean is actually a really stupid name

Woooooowwwwww

BANE HIM! BANE HIM! BANE HIM!!!!

Curly Bill
3/31/2011, 11:31 PM
I negged him instead. I'm sure I'm the one who'll get bained. ;) :D