PDA

View Full Version : grammar talk: "I" versus "me"

Chuck Bao
3/14/2011, 02:09 PM
If you are labeling yourself in a photo, do you use "I" or "me"?

KABOOKIE
3/14/2011, 02:15 PM
I've never showed a picture of myself to someone and said, "That's I in the picture."

olevetonahill
3/14/2011, 02:16 PM
Use "Me" as In This is Me and whatever

OULenexaman
3/14/2011, 02:19 PM
depends.....could be "I'm the one on the right."

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 02:19 PM
eye got no idea about me or I

BajaOklahoma
3/14/2011, 02:33 PM
Use your name. It's very frustrating to find an old photo with someone labeled "me" in it. I may not have known you well enough back then to recognize you, but you might important to me now and I would miss out on this picture.

Soonerfan88
3/14/2011, 02:40 PM
myself

:D Sorry, just had to be different

3rdgensooner
3/14/2011, 02:50 PM
Am I the only one who finds humor in olevet giving grammar advice? :eek:

OU Engineer
3/14/2011, 02:55 PM

second.

GDC
3/14/2011, 03:26 PM
Just use your actual name. In fact, just start referring to yourself in the third person all the time. People love it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/14/2011, 03:46 PM
Say both out loud in a sentence and whichever sounds best use it.

Example: Sara and _____ went to the store

- Take Sara out, which sounds better ?

- Me went to the store - I went to the store

sooner_born_1960
3/14/2011, 03:48 PM
Just remember, I before me, except after sea.

PhiDeltBeers
3/14/2011, 03:55 PM
I like Elmo in 3rd person.

soonerbrat
3/14/2011, 05:27 PM
Am me the only one who finds humor in olevet giving grammar advice? :eek:

yeah, that just doesn't sound right.

Viking Kitten
3/14/2011, 05:51 PM
Are you the subject or the object of the photo?

"I am eating ice cream." You are the subject of this sentence.

"Nope is throwing ice cream at me." You are the object of this sentence.

"I am covered in in ice cream." Subject.

"Ice cream and chocolate sauce taste good when they are all over me." Object.

Hope this is helpful.

BudSooner
3/14/2011, 07:41 PM
That's easy, duh..... "The Dave" is all Dave ever needs to refer to himself by.

That, or WINNER! :D

olevetonahill
3/14/2011, 07:42 PM

You shoulda seen the Hilarity that ensued when I corrected a ****in perfessional writer that time :D

jkjsooner
3/14/2011, 09:09 PM
I suggest using myself as you will think it makes you sound intelligent. ;)

MamaMia
3/14/2011, 09:37 PM
Use your name. It's very frustrating to find an old photo with someone labeled "me" in it. I may not have known you well enough back then to recognize you, but you might important to me now and I would miss out on this picture.

^^^Yes; this

Crucifax Autumn
3/14/2011, 09:43 PM
I caption myself "Lord Dave".

BudSooner
3/14/2011, 09:58 PM
"The Dave" is not amused.:D

Dio
3/14/2011, 11:11 PM
Dave's not here, man

Thaumaturge
3/14/2011, 11:37 PM
"It is I."

It's called a predicate nominative for a reason.

proud gonzo
3/14/2011, 11:43 PM
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-write-grammatically-correct-photo-captions.aspx

YWIA

SanJoaquinSooner
3/15/2011, 12:27 AM
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-write-grammatically-correct-photo-captions.aspx

YWIA

So, I if it's a boy and me if it's a girl?

Chuck Bao
3/15/2011, 01:18 PM
The reason why I am asking is that I corrected my niece on posting photos on facebook. She was labeling photos, such as "Mom and I". I told her that if she put a verb with it, it would sound perfectly fine. Otherwise, it just sounds a tad bit pretentious and not normal everyday Okie speak. Like Kabookie said, I would never refer to myself as “I” in a photo. But, that’s just me. Heh!

So, I ask my best friend who has served as chief sub-editor for large newspapers in Britain, the Middle East and Asia and prides himself on correct usage of English grammar. He said that my niece was right and I was wrong.

I apologized to my niece and learned my lesson that I should never try to correct someone's grammar ever again.

I appreciate everyone's reponses here and, as others pointed out, it is far simplier to just use your name.

C&CDean
3/15/2011, 01:26 PM
Names are best.

I used to work with a guy who referred to himself in the 3rd person ALWAYS.

His name was Greg, and he was an Okie's Okie. His mother was an English teacher, but you'd never know it with Greg. He was actually my very first instructor when I came to Norman many moons ago. One day I went "Greg, how far is to Dallas?" He goes "well when ol' Greg heads to Dallas it's about a bottle an' a half o' Jack or so." I'd go "so you going hunting this weekend?" He goes "yeah, ol' Greg got him a honey hole out in Roger Mills County."

He always pronounced "wire" and "fire" as "war" and "far." He was teaching a tune-up class and a student said "so Greg, what's the heat range difference between the A/C plugs and the Champions?" Greg goes "just so long as ol' Greg gots far in the war it's all good..."

So in a picture, he'd have to write "ol' Greg."

Fugue
3/15/2011, 01:28 PM
Don't touch Jimmy.

MamaMia
3/15/2011, 01:54 PM
The reason why I am asking is that I corrected my niece on posting photos on facebook. She was labeling photos, such as "Mom and I". I told her that if she put a verb with it, it would sound perfectly fine. Otherwise, it just sounds a tad bit pretentious and not normal everyday Okie speak. Like Kabookie said, I would never refer to myself as “I” in a photo. But, that’s just me. Heh!

So, I ask my best friend who has served as chief sub-editor for large newspapers in Britain, the Middle East and Asia and prides himself on correct usage of English grammar. He said that my niece was right and I was wrong.

I apologized to my niece and learned my lesson that I should never try to correct someone's grammar ever again.

I appreciate everyone's reponses here and, as others pointed out, it is far simplier to just use your name.Them English people don't know nutin. :P

BudSooner
3/15/2011, 06:50 PM
Names are best.

I used to work with a guy who referred to himself in the 3rd person ALWAYS.

His name was Greg, and he was an Okie's Okie. His mother was an English teacher, but you'd never know it with Greg. He was actually my very first instructor when I came to Norman many moons ago. One day I went "Greg, how far is to Dallas?" He goes "well when ol' Greg heads to Dallas it's about a bottle an' a half o' Jack or so." I'd go "so you going hunting this weekend?" He goes "yeah, ol' Greg got him a honey hole out in Roger Mills County."

He always pronounced "wire" and "fire" as "war" and "far." He was teaching a tune-up class and a student said "so Greg, what's the heat range difference between the A/C plugs and the Champions?" Greg goes "just so long as ol' Greg gots far in the war it's all good..."

So in a picture, he'd have to write "ol' Greg."He didn't happen to carry around a bottle of Bailey's did he???:confused:

C&CDean
3/15/2011, 07:04 PM
He didn't happen to carry around a bottle of Bailey's did he???:confused:

Ol' Greg? Hell no. Jack, Bud, and Marlboros. He's quit drinking and smoking though (last time I saw him). The final straw is when he was heading for a turkey hunt in Custer County and ended up in jail in Juarez. True story. Now the dude teaches concealed carry and safe hunter classes. Another true story.

Viking Kitten
3/15/2011, 07:13 PM
He didn't happen to carry around a bottle of Bailey's did he???:confused:

Did he show you his mangina during the boat times?

olevetonahill
3/15/2011, 07:29 PM
Didnt VK post a thread a few years ago about Ol Greg? :D

texaspokieokie
3/16/2011, 10:17 AM
Dave's not here, man

cheech & chong ??

badger
3/16/2011, 10:33 AM

As you run over the opponent with the Schooner ;)