PDA

View Full Version : OU made only $9300 on Fiesta Bowl 2011

cvsooner
3/14/2011, 01:07 PM
Here's a quote: "The Big 12 absorbed 10,403 tickets at $1,884,250. The school absorbed 1,530 at $337,080." In other words, 12,000 unsold tickets.

Ouch.

Still, that's better than UConn's $1.6 million loss.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-03-10/sports/hc-fiesta-ou-uconn-money-0311-20110310_1_fiesta-bowl-tickets-john-marinatto

yermom
3/14/2011, 01:13 PM
the conference needs to work out the ticket pricing/allocation with the Fiesta Bowl

badger
3/14/2011, 01:19 PM
The bowl system is gonna come crashing down if the Mark Cuban plan gains any ground... home playoff games in the postseason instead of paying $1.6 million (or only making around $10k) in a bowl... college football should be making shiploads of money in its postseason, considering how much money is thrown around by fans during the regular season.

Hell, we could do a three-game round robin with two other big-name schools out of a BCS conference and we'd probably all make tons of money off of it!

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 01:25 PM
Interesting...

cvsooner
3/14/2011, 01:26 PM
the conference needs to work out the ticket pricing/allocation with the Fiesta Bowl

Yeah, good luck with that. If you accept the invitation, you agree basically to owe the bowl money. Period.

yermom
3/14/2011, 01:30 PM
yeah, well they might be sweating when contracts run out for bowl tie-ins then

i may not have been paying that much attention, but i don't remember anyone losing money by going to a BCS game in the past. if people start declining, things could get ugly

NormanPride
3/14/2011, 01:39 PM
As long as the AD's make serious coin on the arrangement the status quo will be maintained.

sooner59
3/14/2011, 01:46 PM
OU may have only made $9,300, but it also filled Bob's swagger tank to the full line.

bluedogok
3/14/2011, 01:49 PM
I think it says more about the overpriced bowl game tickets than it does about anything else. The games other than the championship game rarely draw a full house and at well over $100+ a ticket from "official sources" most people know they can buy them on the street for much less so why buy them through the school.

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 01:52 PM
The Big 12 splits the pot of Bowl Games between all the schools so what did OU get from that. We came out ahead after all expenses and it gave out team unmeasurable confidence. Worth every penny!

yermom
3/14/2011, 02:00 PM
how many more people would have bought tickets if it was the Cotton Bowl instead?

Canyonero
3/14/2011, 02:03 PM
yeah, well they might be sweating when contracts run out for bowl tie-ins then

i may not have been paying that much attention, but i don't remember anyone losing money by going to a BCS game in the past. if people start declining, things could get ugly

Auburn and Oregon lost money with BCS trip
Posted on: March 4, 2011 1:12 pm
Posted by Tom Fornelli

Earlier this week we wrote about the $1.8 million that UConn lost with its trip to the Fiesta Bowl. The largest portion of UConn's loss came from the number of tickets the school wasn't able to sell. Of course, UConn only lost money because it's a smaller school without a great football tradition, and just didn't have the same number of fans available to buy up tickets. Surely a larger school wouldn't have such a problem with the BCS system, right?

Wrong. Not even Auburn and Oregon, the two teams playing for a national championship, could escape their postseason trips with a profit.

According to the Birmingham News, Auburn returned home from Glendale short over $600,000, while Oregon lost $261,132. Combined, the two schools ended up paying $875,238, with the biggest culprit once again being ticket sales. Auburn had to eat $781,825 in tickets, while Oregon took a $555,575 hit.

Granted, I'm pretty sure if you told Auburn it could win a national championship every year for $600,000 -- insert Cam Newton joke here -- it would take the deal in a heartbeat. Besides, the odds are that Auburn will make that money back through the sale of merchandise related to its BCS title. That being said, the fact that even the teams playing in the biggest college football game of the year are losing money to do so tells you an awful lot about the BCS system.

Sure, the BCS is around to help both the schools and the student-athletes. Just as long as you replace "schools and student-athletes" with "BCS" anyway.
http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/27751776

yermom
3/14/2011, 02:09 PM
i meant before this year

no one wants to go to Phoenix anymore :D

The Maestro
3/14/2011, 02:13 PM
When it takes more money to play for a national title than to play for a national title things are royally screwed up.

Stuff like this could be the beginning of the end...

JLEW1818
3/14/2011, 02:13 PM
and yall think a 16 team playoff would sell out?

sooner59
3/14/2011, 02:28 PM
and yall think a 16 team playoff would sell out?

If they weren't played at neutral sites they would. Home games in the playoffs are hot tickets. The only neutral site game would be the title game.

Soonerntxs
3/14/2011, 02:37 PM
I will have you know, I purchased 30 Spring Game Tickets & my 5 season tickets will soon be purchased, so; lets do the math here.....2 gos inta 4, 2 times, addanutter 2 = 4, Ok, so with my fancy addin and my donation, I think we'll be alright for 2011, but we may need to borrow some if the rest of u don't pitch in!

ouwino
3/14/2011, 02:44 PM
the bowl match up was awful, one of the teams did not travel well (uconn), people in the immediate area (arizona) did not care about the game. prices were too high, and the tickets were cheaper on the street than from the ticket offices.

at least we didnt lose any money.

BoulderSooner79
3/14/2011, 03:28 PM
the bowl match up was awful, one of the teams did not travel well (uconn), people in the immediate area (arizona) did not care about the game. prices were too high, and the tickets were cheaper on the street than from the ticket offices.

at least we didnt lose any money.

I dunno - I wonder if our $9300 balance sheet included the cost of Stoop's and staff's bonuses for getting to and winning a BCS bowl?

agoo758
3/14/2011, 03:30 PM
Perhaps is they changed the policy to stating that the team with the higher ranking gets homefield advantage, with the road team getting a split , this would help this problem?

sooner518
3/14/2011, 03:37 PM
so auburn and oregon didnt sell out their allotments to the NCG? that seems strange

pphilfran
3/14/2011, 03:39 PM
"Hey, players, your reward for an undefeated season is a three day trip to Lincoln, Neb. We win this one and it looks like next week we have a three dayer in Columbus, Ohio, and the advanced weather forecast calls for bizzard conditions. But don't worry I am sure our fan base will fill have the stadium each week."

pphilfran
3/14/2011, 03:40 PM
so auburn and oregon didnt sell out their allotments to the NCG? that seems strange

The biggest problem was Auburn took 102,654 people on a paid vacation (I exaggerate, they only took 800 or so)

MamaMia
3/14/2011, 03:43 PM
Here's a quote: "The Big 12 absorbed 10,403 tickets at $1,884,250. The school absorbed 1,530 at $337,080." In other words, 12,000 unsold tickets.

Ouch.

Still, that's better than UConn's $1.6 million loss.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-03-10/sports/hc-fiesta-ou-uconn-money-0311-20110310_1_fiesta-bowl-tickets-john-marinattoMost people bought their tickets from a ticket agency thinking they could get better seats. The same thing happens when we play at Jerry World.

texaspokieokie
3/14/2011, 04:25 PM
OU may have only made $9,300, but it also filled Bob's swagger tank to the full line.

Beating uconn ???

sooner_born_1960
3/14/2011, 04:27 PM
i meant before this year

no one wants to go to Phoenix anymore :D
A lot more would have, if the Fiesta wasn't stuck with a crappy draw like Uconn.

texaspokieokie
3/14/2011, 04:30 PM
Didn't OU get some money from other Big 12 teams going to bowl games ???

if you have a "home" play-off game & make money, what about the visiting team ??
they still have all the travel expenses just like going to a bowl.
they get a lovely trip to norman, in dec or jan.

Soonermagik
3/14/2011, 04:44 PM
Doesn't each school get like $15 million for making it to the BCS? I know they have to split that, but the school who got there should get the lion's share.

The idea of having to buy unsold tickets is a joke. Almost everyone that goes to these games anymore goes through a secondary source i.e. stub hub, ticketmaster etc.. because it's a lot cheaper.

OU probably made a large sum of money off merchandise and overall added value to the football program i.e. increased sales tickets, interested fans, tv revenue (now and future). Either way, the BCS is a joke.

soonercoop1
3/14/2011, 05:12 PM
Auburn and Oregon lost money with BCS trip
Posted on: March 4, 2011 1:12 pm
Posted by Tom Fornelli

Earlier this week we wrote about the $1.8 million that UConn lost with its trip to the Fiesta Bowl. The largest portion of UConn's loss came from the number of tickets the school wasn't able to sell. Of course, UConn only lost money because it's a smaller school without a great football tradition, and just didn't have the same number of fans available to buy up tickets. Surely a larger school wouldn't have such a problem with the BCS system, right?

Wrong. Not even Auburn and Oregon, the two teams playing for a national championship, could escape their postseason trips with a profit.

According to the Birmingham News, Auburn returned home from Glendale short over $600,000, while Oregon lost $261,132. Combined, the two schools ended up paying $875,238, with the biggest culprit once again being ticket sales. Auburn had to eat $781,825 in tickets, while Oregon took a $555,575 hit.

Granted, I'm pretty sure if you told Auburn it could win a national championship every year for $600,000 -- insert Cam Newton joke here -- it would take the deal in a heartbeat. Besides, the odds are that Auburn will make that money back through the sale of merchandise related to its BCS title. That being said, the fact that even the teams playing in the biggest college football game of the year are losing money to do so tells you an awful lot about the BCS system.

Sure, the BCS is around to help both the schools and the student-athletes. Just as long as you replace "schools and student-athletes" with "BCS" anyway.
http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/27751776

I guess I don't understand how we can continue the BCS if teams are losing money going? Also not sure why the college presidents want to keep this either if they are losing this kind of money....seems a bit rediculous and gives credence to a playoff with home games (to make money) and then maybe bowls in the semis...

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 05:18 PM
Still would like to know how much OU got from the pot of all the bowl games.

sooner59
3/14/2011, 05:29 PM
Beating uconn ???

No. Winning a BCS bowl.

cvsooner
3/14/2011, 05:50 PM
Still would like to know how much OU got from the pot of all the bowl games.

"OU got $1.8 million from Big 12 to cover Fiesta expenses"

Total bowl payout for Big 12: $31.525 million.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

It's unclear to me what each Big 12 team received from the bowl payout after expenses, but historically it's about $1.5 million.

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 05:51 PM
When it takes more money to play for a national title than to play for a national title things are royally screwed up.

:confused:

cvsooner
3/14/2011, 05:54 PM
:confused:

I think he meant it costs more to play for a national title than to pay for a national title. But I'm guessing.

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 05:55 PM
I guess I don't understand how we can continue the BCS if teams are losing money going? Also not sure why the college presidents want to keep this either if they are losing this kind of money....seems a bit rediculous and gives credence to a playoff with home games (to make money) and then maybe bowls in the semis...

Teams lose money because they spend it lavishly. As long as they want to fly the entire Cheyenne Nation out for a free junket, then how concerned could they truly be over this situation?

I think we had a post here a few weeks ago that showed Auburn flying nearly 1,000 people at $2,000 a pop. And we wonder why they can't make any money on the game?

The athletic department is a non-profit and so none of the decision-makers can make a dime off excess revenue. So they probably figure that as long as they don't end up in the red everything will be okay.

MR2-Sooner86
3/14/2011, 08:17 PM
How much money did Texas make in their bowl? :D

SoonerLB
3/14/2011, 08:18 PM
If there is to be an honest discussion of the profit margins, then the bowl committees profit margins and salaries should be included. You can bet those fat cats made plenty of bucks!
Just more evidence mounting for playoffs and determining who is #1 on the field of play!

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 08:48 PM
If there is to be an honest discussion of the profit margins, then the bowl committees profit margins and salaries should be included. You can bet those fat cats made plenty of bucks!

Not likely. Bowl committees are typically non-profits and their members salaried (if paid at all). They probably got some free meals and a cool vacation out of the deal, but not much more.

There are a lot of myths out there about bowl games. It would be great to know the truth. (And no, I'm not claiming I know the truth.)

EDIT: Searched around and found that one CEO of a bowl committee was salaried at $685,000 and one around $600,000. That is too high, in my opinion. (But our head coach makes $5 million a year, so I guess we need to define "high.")

EDIT: Those salaries are an anomaly. Other bowl CEOs make less than half that.

sperry
3/14/2011, 08:57 PM
Not likely. Bowl committees are typically non-profits and their members salaried (if paid at all). They probably got some free meals and a cool vacation out of the deal, but not much more.

There are a lot of myths out there about bowl games. It would be great to know the truth. (And no, I'm not claiming I know the truth.)

The CEO of the Fiesta Bowl receives $600k a year in salary, as well as tons of all expenses paid vacations to schmooze athletic directors and college presidents. There is plenty of money in it for the folks who run the bowls.

sperry
3/14/2011, 09:00 PM
A big problem is taking the band. I know some people just love the band, but paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring your band to a bowl game is fairly ridiculous.

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 09:01 PM
The CEO of the Fiesta Bowl receives $600k a year in salary, as well as tons of all expenses paid vacations to schmooze athletic directors and college presidents. There is plenty of money in it for the folks who run the bowls.

I saw that and edited it before I saw your response.

The Fiesta Bowl and Sugar Bowl CEO salaries are unusual. The other bowl CEOs are more in line with the typical of a non-profit with similar operating budgets. (Which goes to show just how overpaid head coaches are in this country.)

And those are just the CEOs. I have no idea what the other members make, but I imagine it isn't much.

Leroy Lizard
3/14/2011, 09:03 PM
A big problem is taking the band. I know some people just love the band, but paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring your band to a bowl game is fairly ridiculous.

I wouldn't even mind the band. But Auburn sent almost a thousand people to the bowl game. I would love to see some of the names on that list.

Jacie
3/15/2011, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't even mind the band. But Auburn sent almost a thousand people to the bowl game. I would love to see some of the names on that list.

You are right. How about the bowl games just have the two teams show up at the local Kiwanis park on a Saturday afternoon to play, then tell us who won afterwards. That'll save everyone a ton of money . . .

soonerloyal
3/15/2011, 09:43 AM

:texan:

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 11:06 AM
You are right. How about the bowl games just have the two teams show up at the local Kiwanis park on a Saturday afternoon to play, then tell us who won afterwards. That'll save everyone a ton of money . . .

I think ESPN sends a crew to cover the game. I could be wrong.